Anxiety Community
anxiety attacks and worry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety attacks and worry

Hi all, I had my first major attack 2 mos ago and ended up in the er. The drs did every test imaginable and ruled out anything medical. The problem is that if I have anything happen w my body my imagination goes nuts and I assume heart attack or tumor or something. Like the other day I had a weird chest pain then I couldn't sleep till 4am thinking I would have a heart attack. I started prozac 9 days ago and I feel less depressed and when I have an attack its only about my health. Do u think after a few months on prozac the worrying about my health will go away?
Hi!  The Prozac has not had enough time to reach a full therapeutic level, which takes about 4-6 weeks.  I do feel your worrying over your health will subside once the medication kicks in, and I also think therapy would help you with this. Once you've had all the tests and are told everything is fine, it's imperative that you accept this.  I know it's easier said than done, but necessary to help you get better.  Worry and fear is what feeds our anxiety and keeping it going strong, so the less you worry the less anxiety. Trust in your doctors and accept that you are fine and get on with your life.  Live your life and not worry it away.  Do all the things you enjoy, you don't want to miss a second of your life! Time passes by so quickly, and you don't want to wake up one day an old person and wonder where the years went.......you will have worried them away instead of living them. Live for today, tomorrow will take care of itself.  Enjoy your life and accept that you're a healthy person whose mind is trying to make you think otherwise.  Take back this power and accept that you are fine.  I do wish you all the best, and take care!
Antidepressents typically take 3-6 weeks to see full benefits. Antidepressents also generally don't take all symtpoms away, but in conjunction with therapy or some type of treatment for the problem at hand, can be very beneficial. What you describe sounds like Hypochondriasis, which is a mental disorder. Hypochondriasis, hypochondria (sometimes referred to as health phobia or health anxiety) refers to excessive preoccupation or worry about having a serious illness.[1] An individual suffering from hypochondriasis is known as a hypochondriac. Hypochondriacs become unduly alarmed about any physical symptoms they detect, no matter how minor the symptom may be, they are convinced that they have or are about to have a serious illness. Do you have a therapist or have you thought about seeing one? It could be very beneficial, if you were open to it. Either way, the Prozac will ease your anxiety most likely, but be sure to be open with your doctor about how it's working for you and what additionsl needs you may have, such as possibly having emergency anti-anxiety pills at hand. Good luck!

Sara RN
Thank you both for your kind words. I am looking into seeing a therapist. It's hard to accept because until two months ago I was fine. The attack came and every since I have either been anxious or depressed. Just hoping and trusting that I can feel normal again and go back to enjoying the things  I used to. I never understood how much depression and anxiety can hurt. I don't want anyone to have to go thru this.
Ragnaloth is ... Comment
OaklyDokly commented on tardive dyskinesia
remar commented on lboogie7729's status