Anxiety Community
anxiety during pregnancy and buspar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety during pregnancy and buspar

Hi everyone,
I just found out I am about 4 weeks pregnant.  For the last few days I have had EXTREME anxiety, I feel like my skin is on fire, cannot rest, cannot eat.  Went to see my ob today and she prescribed Buspa.  Has anyone been on this and has it helped?  Please help me!
First of all...........congratulations on the baby! What a wonderful Spring gift!

Second, I'm sorry you are having issues with anxiety at this time, but I'm sure your OB explained that it is quite common for a first time mom to be somewhat anxious.

There are alot of questions in your mind right now and I think most of us, when we are pregnant for the first time, also have some fears and I know I had a great many self doubts. You add those to the fact that your physical body is undergoing massive changes, that your hormones are in a bit of a riot right now, it's no wonder many of us get anxiety.

It's very good that you took your concerns to your OB. She is the only one who can tell you what is right for you and what is safe for your baby. She would not have put you on BuSpar if she did not know it was safe. You need to relax and trust her 100%.

BuSpar is a very well known mild anti-anxiety medication. It can be given to children as young as 5 y/o.

All psychotropic drugs affect everyone differently, which means, basically, that you will just have to try it and see how it works for you. Many people have found relief for their anxiety with BuSpar and there is no reason to think you won't. You DO have to give it some time to build up in your system and I'm sure your doctor explained that with BuSpar, therapeutic effects can take as long as two weeks to be felt.

If the anxiety becomes intolerable before the BuSpar kicks in, then you need to see your OB again. NEVER hesitate, for ANY reason, to see or call your OB while pregnant! The health and safety of your baby (and YOU) is the top priority here.

I would suggest going to one of our MANY pregnancy forums and talking with other women. Trust me, you are not the only woman who has had anxiety while pregnant. Perhaps just talking with other women will help calm your anxiety. It's worth a try.  

I know you're scared and one of the best ways to deal with that is to DO something. Get out of the house into the fresh air, go for good long walks, spend time with family and friends and don't hesitate to let them know how you're feeling. Join a swim club, find a new pregnant moms support group. Take up knitting........every baby needs a few hundred pairs of booties!

If nothing is helping, we are always here.......you come here as often as you need, OK?
You're going to be fine, I promise.
Peace
Greenlydia  
Thank you so much for your reassuring words.  I think I should have clarified my situation more.  This is not my first baby. It will be no.4 for us which we are very happy about.  After I had my son a year ago I had very bad anxiety and depression and my ob at the time gave me zoloft.  The anxiety eventually went away and I accredited that to the zoloft, so remai ed on it.  Now that it has returned while I was on the zoloft I can see it is not helping, but rather my hormones were "off".  Since zoloft is not advised during pregnancy I have d/c it and switched to the buspar yesterday.  How long can I expect to have symptoms of depression from stopping the zoloft? Will the buspar help with that?
I am not even close to being any sort of expert on anxiety, but what you describe is very similar to what I went through.  I was diagnosed with something I had never heard of...Post Partum Anxiety.  Just like post partum depression, and is treated in a very similar manner, but manifests itself in anxiety.

I have been working with (and my son is now 3) a therapist that actually speciaizes in this.  It can come on during pregnancy, and is far more likely to do so if you have had this happen before. I currently use a combo of meds and therapy.  It's a long road, but it's getting better. And recognizing it for what it is has helped tremendously.  Best of luck to you, and congrats on your pregnancy.
specialmom commented on photo
58 mins ago
breezytoo commented on photo
1 hr ago
specialmom commented on nursegirl6572's status
1 hr ago