Anxiety Community
anxiety or serious problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety or serious problem

I have severe anxiety. im only 18 and have been living with it for about a year now. i tried several diffrent medications but decided that i could get over this on my own.so i tried and i did somewhat.i still have panic attacks and anxiety every once in awhile, but not nearly as much.the thing that i worry about constantly, 24-7 is that im going to dye. not in a car wreck or something but by a health problem. i have had a check up and the doc said everything is fine. does anyone have any advice for over coming this fear.also does anyone know how to dertermine  if you are for sure having an panic attack or if it is something serious.
Go and speak to a specialist in the field, be totally honest about your symptoms, have them teach you coping strategies and perhaps you will not need meds.

I went through an anxious period and I spoke with a clinical social worker.  She taught me simple coping methods and before long I was okay.

I hope you find relief soon.
I admire you for wanting to tackle this alone but would also caution you to seek help as soon as possible if your efforts do not succeed.  

I see patients in my practice every week who suffer *more* because they waited so long to get counseling or the proper medical treatement for their anxiety.

There a many things you can immediately do and many can be helpful

* deep breathing
* meditation
* mild exercise

You need to eat regularly as well - I cannot stress that enough.  
It is important to remember that your brain is not a muscle and does not run on fat but instead runs on glucose.   When you brain is deprived of glucose, that is, when you don't eat properly, your brain starts searching for new sources of energy and one of them is adrenaline which can make you extremely anxious.   Keep your body balanced by eating a decent diet full of proteins which keep the blood sugars balanced.

If you find that your anxiety is making you avoid situations or people, or that you are unable to work or function properly then it might be time to seek out a psychiatrist.   There are a great many good treatments for anxiety that allow an individual to live a normal functioning life and experience the pleasures and joys of everyday living without the constant fear.   Life is too short to live each day in fear.  Yes, it really is!  
My 15 year old son is diagnosed ADD, has severe anxiety and suffers from sleep issues.  He is currently taking Depakote, Toprol, prozax and occasional Xanax for the anxiety.  He is taking trazadone for sleep but is very groggy in the morning.  He tried Ambien for a while but we worried about getting addicted.  He has so many meds and still is so anxious that he self-medicates with alcohol on the weekends.  He is taking so much medication that it is hard to tell what works and what is not.  He is starting to workout but is too freaked to work out by himself.  He is very popular with his friends but does not feel good about himself.  He cannot take a stimulant for ADD because that is what triggered his sleep issues and he does not feel good taking Adderall (adderrall), Ritalin or any others.  He is frustrated cuz he is so spacey, who wouldn't be taking all these meds.  I have tried to see if this all relates to his thyroid(I have hasimotos) but the tests come back OK.

HELP.  I hate drugging this kid but his age is very difficult for so many reasons.  
Kikster24 commented on Why You Might Have A ...
25 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status
1 hr ago
Irisbritney commented on Irisbritney's status