Anxiety Community
anxiety...only in certain situations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

anxiety...only in certain situations

So about a year ago I had my first panic attack. I've never had one before, and since then haven't had one, but have had what I believe are anxiety attacks. My work deals with talking with people all day. Some days are fine, some days aren't. But the worst anxiety I get is when not at work or home, but doing the simplest things- like going to get something to eat at a restraunt, or going over to my girl's parent's house and hanging with them. I get all flushed in the face, palpitations, and can't focus. I don't want to take any medications, and have had *some* relief from exercise, teas, passionflower, etc. Can anyone give me any tips to keep my mind from getting anxious when out eating our around my girl's family? THANK YOU.
Hello and welcome!!

I agree with remar that probably some therapy will do you a world of good
in getting the anxiety to a more manageable place.

What you describe is pretty typical for someone with either panic disorder or social anxiety.  Our homes are our "safe place...so even somewhere mundane like the grocery store can cause us anxiety (or panic attacks).  It also could be more social related, where you become anxious around people (or certain people anyway) or social situations.

It would be helpful to be able to kind of narrow down what KIND of anxiety you are dealing with.  While therapy is often very similar...a therapist will have a slightly different approach in treating social anxiety versus panic.  I would ask your doc for a referral to a therapist, who can start working with you...figuring out what KIND of anxiety you may be up against, teaching you ways to manage the anxiety, and what to do in those moments when anxiety is peaking.  If possible, try to find a therapist who is well versed in CBT, or cognitive behavioral therapy.  CBT is great for treating anxiety..it teaches a person how to manage that anxious cycle of thinking.  It's almost like behavioral modification in a sense.

The most important thing you could do (and it sounds like you already are)...is, despite those feelings of anxiety...continue to go out to those places.  If you start avoiding places or activities due to the anxiety...it will lead to more anxiety and more avoidant behavior.  It basically conditions our brains to believe there IS something to fear, whereas facing those fears reinforces to our brains that there ISN'T anything to be fearful of.  That alone goes far in helping to manage the anxiety.

I too don't think meds are really needed at this point...try the therapy first.  I bet you'll be able to get this under control with therapy, and some work on your part.  Very best to you..please update us when you can, let us know how you're doing!
Do you remember why you had your first panic attack? Were you in a social situation? Our minds can go back to that similar situation and anxiety can take over. To me, it does'nt sound like you need medication. Have you ever thought about therapy though? It may really help you with your anxiety in these certain situations.
Hello and welcome!!

Thank you both for the kindness and words. I've already started studying self help items and will look into therapy if it gets worse. Your words of encouragement and understanding really truly help more then you think. I'm going on a cruise with my family next week, so wish me luck.

Thank you.
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
18 mins ago
WEIGHT LOSS
1 hr ago by gymdandee
katmandu516 commented on update