Anxiety Community
ativan and other sleep aids

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

ativan and other sleep aids

was prescribed ativan (.5mg) for anxiety induced insomnia.  It is not really doing the trick.  my doctor then phoned in an rx for trazodone (50mg).  it hasn't done much either.  does anyone know what the implications would be of combining these two?  OR either of these with something like benadryl or tylenol pm?  Please advise; I must get some sleep!
thanks
Avatar n tn
that's a really low dose of Ativan and Ativan generally takes quite awhile to take effect, possibly an hour or two.  I've tried trazodone too and that doesn't do much either - it's an antidepressant with sedation as a side effect, so they figure it will work but a lot of times it doesn't.  If the trazodone doesn't work don't bother with it.  You could combine the Ativan with Benadryl or Tylenol PM (although I'm no doctor, I've suffered insomnia enough too) but my suggestion would be to up the Ativan to, well, you could go all the way up to 2 mg if you had to, and take it an hour or so before you plan to go to sleep.  :)

Good luck!
Not really sure what to suggest here, but I think you are already doing the right thing by talking with your doctor.  Also, I have found that talking to your pharmacist is a very helpful way to understand which meds you can and cannot take (and it's free advice!).
I have trouble getting to sleep at night as well.  My mind will not shut off.  Not sure if it is anxiety induced or not.  My doctor had me on 10 mg Ambien and my body got used to it and it became in affective.  He has prescribed up to 2 mg of Ativan and taken me of the Ambien.  So far, taking the full 2 mg will get me to sleep, but it sure takes a long time, 2 hours or more.
mishymoshymarcy If you think you've tried y... Comment
rocketgirl1210 I have returned! :) Comment
Apr 30
refills, and 10356 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Apr 30
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms