Anxiety Community
ativan withdraw (severe anxiety)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

ativan withdraw (severe anxiety)

Hi everyone, ive been taking ativan for about 2 months on and off. I ran out 2 days ago and my perscription cant be filled until jan12th.  Yesterday i had a bad panic attack, and then was anxious and in a daze like state the rest of the day. Today i have been anxious all day with headache, and random anxiety symptoms, very nervous and very bad unreality feelings.  Im not sure if this is just do to anxiety or ativan withdraw?  Ive had very bad anxiety in the past and was able to get over it, ever since i had a panic attack about 2 months ago ive been feeling bad anxiety except when i take ativan, then i function great and almost all the symptoms go away. So .... my question is, i dont want to take anymore ativan but i need relief from this anxiety, and unreal state that im in, any suggestions?  Also been constantly checking my pulse because i have high blood pressure and it always seems to be higher when my anxiety is bad.  How do i stop thinking about my health and blood pressure, and stop racing thoughts that cause this unreality, without ativan?
Hey man!  Sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad.  I know what you mean about not wanting to take medication.  I was on Paxil for 3 years, and the withdrawal symptoms were god awful. The thought of going back on them gives me enough anxiety as it is.  I have been doing some natural coping methods lately than I think you could benefit from.  Some of the activities include:
-Acupuncture (although can be expensive.  Check what your insurance may cover.)
-Going for walks
-Meditation and deep breathing exercises  (Can be frustrating, but don't judge your thoughts and keep at it.)
-Stretching
-Writing in a journal
-Talking to a loved one
-Cook, clean, or whatever else may take your mind off things

I hope some of these suggestions may help you man.  Take it easy and let me know if anything helps.  

-Shawn
-
Tanks man im deff going to try anything i can at this point, the anxiety is driving me nuts.  I want to go back to the ativan because it will give me relief but i know i cant stay on it forever.  Anyways, thanx for the suggestions and ill let you know if any work!!  
You've become addicted to ativan.     You need to withdraw gradually from it by seeking the advice of your doctor who might even switch you to a longer acting one.
in the meantime you can substitute with herbal supplements such a valerian
I was also prescribed Ativan for my insomnia, but have not touched it due to the fear of being addicted to it.  I use Valerian root and it works great!   Just don't smell it...
Actually, Im doing alot better.  Been reading and watching the linden method.  It really reinstated what I already knew.  Anxiety is all a mind thing!!  You are the one thats making you feel the way you do.  Really puts some science behind anxiety and teaches you how to beat it, and also ways to cope with sensations and symptoms.  I recomend the Linden Method to anyone who suffers from anxiety.  This has made me feel a hundred times better.  So good in fact, that i know i can and will overcome my disorder.  Thanx for all the help and suggestions.  I wish the best for all of you!!
13. The hypochondriac's guide ...
49 mins ago by birdie0907
TinaR10 commented on KeeLolo's status
TinaR10 26 weeks in the am . I cant... Comment