Anxiety Community
ativan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

ativan

How safe is ativan really. I have a prescription to take when I'm anxious. But when I take it I get freaked out about side effects and it makes me feel worse.
Alright, you gotta stop that. :)  I learned a long time ago to ignore any possible side effects from the drugs my doctor gives me.  I dont look it up on the computer, and I dont read the paper the pharmacy hands out about the drug.  I just trust my doctor to give me the medication I need.  And since I have done that, I have had no problems with medications, I simply expect them to work properly, and they do.  Ativan is very helpful for anxiety/panic attacks.  Just take it as your doctor tells you.  It might make you a little tired, but that's all, promise. :) -Blu
Thanks, also how much is safe to take? I have .5 mg to take twice a day but sometimes that is not enough it seems if I am having one of my 2 hour panic attacks
BluCrystal gave you excellent advice.  If you feel the dosage isn't enough, let your doctor know this.  Don't mess around with the dosage on your own, doing that will create problems for you.  Take care.
Hi, I was recently put on ativan for anxiety.  I take .25mg as needed.  I am REALLY med sensitive and REALLY scared to take almost anything!!  They had to give me the ativan in the ER the first time to get me to take it at all LOL!!  I just wanted to let you know that it does help!!  I know it sounds crazy and I hated it when people would say it to me... But breath!!!  It does help too!!  Talk to yourself and tell yourself Im ok, I am calm and clear headed.. while breathing.  I have been 28 days without the ativan now.  It will get better!!  Good luck!
I started out with ativan for my panic attacks.  It would help within a half hour.  Problem was three hours down the road I would get another one and re-medicate.  I now take Klonopin because it works longer.  It doesn't work as quickly taken PRN as ativan.  If you are going to take something regularly, twice a day,  Klonopin doesn't have the same tolerance issues (for most people)that ativan does.  Your doctor can help with this decision.  Explain what is going on.  A two hour panic attack is awful.  I've been there.  Whether it's a dose change or a med change, I'm sure if you trust your doc, he'll help you out.
It is irresponsible NOT to read the med inserts as patients sometimes forget to tell Doctors of their other medications and dietary habits.

Some medications work against each other and some Vitamins, Foods, and Supplement effect the dosage absorption.

I believe better said would have been Try not to worry about every thing listed or believe you will experience all the side effects but these summaries are where instruction of how to take, i.e. water, food, etc.

Other instructions I found helpful was conditions that can happen ie. Parkinson type symptoms taking Compazine, Reglan.

I Always read them and have saved myself some interactions, and especially on that made the one I was being prescribed ineffective.

I found biofeedback to very effective for anxiety, panic, pain, and you can actually see your pulse rate go down on a monitor really impressed me to the importance of including practices that controlling breathing and self control.

When you continue to practice the technique, your body learns to recall the techniques to assist yourself. I also did an audio series on "self esteem" and that was 35 years ago and I can still remember the wording..
I am a kind and gentle person  Funny isn't that.

I also found William  Glasser and Reality Therapy which teaches you use self talk and change your thinking along with practice self help techniques to "calm" your body. Keeping your body in a constant flight or Fight mode effects organ systems and promotes poor  health. **
This thread is over a year old.

While I don't disagree with you that we need to educate ourselves about meds...the main point was that as anxiety sufferers, we catastrophize everything...and the more we read about side effects, the more anxious about them we'll be.
This thread is over a year old.

imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
curiosityb ok Comment
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...