Anxiety Community
birth control pill causing anxiety/ depression??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Viewing 201-373 comments:
I'm so glad I found this. I've been doing so much research lately on what could be wrong with me. I've gotten to the point where I think I could have some mental disorder and have almost suicidal thoughts. Up until recently, I have always been in good health, physically and emotionally. I've always lead a normal happy life. I've been on the pill for a little over a year now. Suddenly, it's like my mind is changing. I have racing thoughts, mood swings, feelings of depression and anxiety. It's like they came out of nowhere. I'm also starting to get random mild headaches and cramping feelings. Do you think I should talk to my doctor about going off the pill?
I haven't been on the pill in over 10 years and have recently started it again so I can have unprotected sex with my boyfriend.  I feel crazy! !! Im super edgy and snappy and also have started to worry about my boyfriends loyalty to me for no apparent reason other than we live un different states right now. Im going to try and stick it out because I know its an adjustment on the body after so long not being on it, but girls you deff have a point. The pill can make u feel crazy!!!!!
Oh my goodness, finding this forum was such a relief. I have been feeling so crazy for the past 4 months of being on birth control. I was first on estrostep, which made me crave my boyfriend's attention 24/7 and when I didn't have his attention I was so scared that it meant that he didn't love me anymore. I had never been so clingy in my entire life. I have actually been anti-clingy ever since I can remember dating. I also became just really emotional in general, where any stressfull situation would send me in crying fits. And I would cry HARD. About three weeks ago I switched to Norinyl and my emotions continue to be crazy. I am super jealous about any girl that talks/looks to/at my boyfriend. I am constantly afraid he is going to leave me and I have cried myself to sleep several nights thinking about it. Fortunately he is so wonderful and patient with me, but I know someone can only take so much. I have been on the depo shot before and I never remembered experiencing any of those symptoms, however when I didn't go back for my shot I had a menstrual cycle that lasted for 9 straight weeks. But honestly...I think I would rather have that than this anxiety and craziness. I guess instead of switching pills again I should just go back to the shot?
I just want to say thanks to everyone who posted these posts on here. i feel so much better reading all these stories. espicially hannah eb and seeking happiness. i had no idea other girls felt crazy like me and im not the only one.  heres my story. i started taking estrostep when i was 20 and i had full blown anxiety attacks for a whole year every day. i couldn't even drive a car i felt like i was insane. and i didn't even think it was my bc because my bf just broke up with me at the time and it was a very serious relationship. which it was my pill. so i stayed on them for another 4 years. my anxiety attacks went away after a year and i was fine but i was extremely hungry all the time. and then in march of this year i decided to try a new one because estrostep made me so unbearably hungry and nautious. and i tryed low estregen fe. ive been on that for 5 months now and the first month was okay. i felt fine. then a month later i start getting really irritable all the time and angry and i would snap at my boyfriend which we just started dating at the time a lot. and every month it just got worse. i felt crazier and crazier. i now feel like a raging lunatic and i dont even know who i am anymore. and i hate myself because i hate the way i act and how i treat my boyfriend. i keep on having suicidal thoughts. im on the verge of tears a lot. i cant handle anything. i tried cooking dinner last night and i just started crying i was so stressed about finishing it on time because we were going to a movie afterwards. and he had to finish dinner. i feel like a crazy person. im even thinking about going to a therapist. but anyway i stopped taking my pills 5 days ago and i dont feel any better. but im on my period. so i hope once my period stops i will start to feel normal again. i called my doctor and he said it might even take a month or two months for the hormones to wear off. which i really hope thats not the case. but he said its ok to quit cold turkey.im so glad i figured out it was my pill because if i didn't me and my boyfriend would of definately broke up. thank god i stopped it before it got worse. please girls dont take bc pills its not worth it. just use condoms and deal with the horrible cramps. if they make you feel crazy get off of them. theres a good chance a new pill will make you feel even worse so ITS NOT WORTH IT.
I might be an excessive Google diagnoser, but finding this made me feel so much better.

I've been on tri-sprintec for about 6 months now, after having been on Loestrin and switching because it was making me wacky. I went on this pill because I had heard good things about Ortho Tri Cyclin, and I was told the generic brand was exactly the same (and cheaper!) I just got married in July and had absolutely no side effects until the past few weeks after we moved. The past week or so I had noticed I would randomly feel lightheaded, not like I was going to pass out but I just felt strange. Then, yesterday out of nowhere I was sitting at home watching TV and I started feeling lightheaded, my chest felt tight and my throat felt like it was closing up. I was home by myself, and all of a sudden I just started worrying--about nothing. I knew from what I heard about anxiety attacks that it felt like one was coming on, so I went outside and just sat on my porch and took deep breaths. Nevertheless, it was completely alarming because I have never felt anything like that before.

When I think back to the past few weeks, it all comes together. I don't know if its the stress from planning my wedding, looking for a job, and moving all building up to this, but I've just had this constant irrational fear that I'm sick and every symptom is a sign of something terrible. I find myself worrying about my family back home, worrying about my husband when he goes to work. I've always been a worrywart, but NEVER like this. After yesterday's episode, I found myself dreading waking up this morning when I knew I would be home alone all day.

Not to mention I worry about being pregnant all the time. I wasn't sexually active before I was married, so now it's just always at the back of my mind. And I know I'm not pregnant because we use condoms in addition to the pill, and my period has been like clockwork. Like I said--it's a completely irrational worry.

I don't know what to do. I just don't think birth control pills are for me, but the thought of an IUD weirds me out. Bodies aren't meant to handle these high doses of hormones, and it's really scary to see the effect they can have...
Like everyone else is saying, I can completely relate! I started taking the pill about a month ago, and at first I noticed I was a bit irritable, but other than that I was feeling pretty good. But then college started again and I started having horrible anxiety attacks (this was after about 3 weeks on the pill). I have suffered from depression for quite a bit of my life, so I'm very familiar with it, but this is not normal, even for me! There is a tightening in my chest like I can't breathe. Meditation no longer gives me any kind of relief when before it usually did. I'm now on antidepressants/ anti anxiety meds and seeing a counselor. I'm used to feeling a bit down, but not panicky!  I would have dropped out of school this semester but that would have meant losing my job.
hey everyone,
thank you for all sharing your stories and now i know what could possibly be wrong with me. I am 16 years old and just started the birth contol pill ortho try cyclen lo. I got on the pill because of bad PMS before periods and cramps during periods. For the past month of taking it i have been experiencing anxiety, the feeling of dread, crying alot, negative thoughts, loss of appetite, withdrawal from being social, worrying, and trouble sleeping. I looked up the symptoms of depression and realized i had many off them. I always had maybe a little depression throughout my life due to events that take place but i have always tried to look on the bright side and achieve my goals and be positive. Now recently i have hardly an interest in doing things. Im sure these feelings are a result of the birth control im on and i have never experienced anything like this. I needed some advice and my question is should i stay on the birth control and see if my mood swings and side affects subside over time or should i contact my doctor to get off the pill?  
i got the depo provera shot today for severe vaginal bleeding that has lasted over a month. also my doctor prescribed the provera pill. i got it at two and at six i had such a terrible panic attack. can anyone tell me how long i will possibly be having these attacks? is it just a temporary type of thing that is caused because of the huge dose of hormones in my body, or will i be dealing with this for the full three months that its in my system?
Hello! How are you all feeling today? This site will not let me post a link that has helped me get through this mess. Heres a little about me. Sorry for any typos or not going to as much detail, I'm using my phone so this is a little tuff.
I was on orthro tri cyclen. Used it in the passed as well as the depo shot and never had any issues until this time around.
I was on the pill for 7 months, and had my first panic attack in the 5 month I was fine the very next day just figured I didn't drink enough water, in my 7th month had another one, found out from google it was in fact my birth control causing this I quite right on the spot which isn't good to do.
I would say 4 doctors and 2 er visits later I've found a natural doctor who has helped me. What doctor whos very busy will take 3 hours out of her day to help you understand what's going on with your body and study your symptoms in her sleep pretty much.
I've learned alot from her and these things do take time.
Hi my name is M I am 25 years old and Sep 6th will be my 6th month off birth control. I've suffered it all includeding the now"new found" symptom insulin resistance. Ask me anything I will answer the best I can note that every doctor has their own views and opinions on this specific issue I'm just stating what I've studied and my own experience as well as other women's experiences :) I send my blessings to you all and yes this will get much better :)
I went to the doctor last week and she agreed that the pills were definitely a leading factor in my sudden anxiety. Because of the tri-phasic nature of Ortho Lo/Tri Sprintec, which have a different dosage of hormones every week of the active pills, she said that some bodies just don't deal well with this fluctuation every week, especially if you suffered from PMS symptoms before the pill (which I definitely did!). She prescribed me Ocella, the generic of Yaz. I've always felt weird about Yaz, just from the scary commercials on TV and just because it's so new, and all the reviews I've read on Ocella seem to be bad. At this point, I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of adjusting to a new pill that might make things worse, or just suck it up and keep taking Tri Sprintec knowing that it's the source of my anxiety (which I haven't felt at all since last Tuesday!) My thoughts are just knowing that it's coming from the pill, not that I'm going crazy, took away some of the symptoms right away. I don't know what to do--I'm on my last week of T.S., so should I renew it or switch to something else? Ugh.
my doctor put me on the combined pill because i had very low progesterone and estrogen ive only been it for a week and its making me feel so scared i get panic/ anxiety attacks for no reason i cant travel or stay home alone i get scared for no reason and cry uncontrollably i hav nothing in my life to be depressed about i love my life but recently have been so scared for  no reason ive stopped taking the pill 2 days and was wondering how long will it take for me to get back to being myself ? please respond im worried.... and really freaking out
..helu my name is crist  suarez and i am a gay..i am a user of althea pill for 4 months..ng stop ako kasi nsira ang buhay ko ng dahil sa pisting pill na yan.. nagkaron ako ng sever anxiety and depression.. i have insomnia, frequent urination, nervousness, diarrhea, dehydretion, skin infections, bipolar dis order, my back aches, suicidal thoughts bt not atempted, heart palpitation, mild delirium, restless at marami pa.. cguro kun pwd plang ma ibbalik ang mga panahon sana hindi nlang ako uminom noon.. nagsisisi talaga ako.. plz.. txt me on my mobile # 09488877831 or e mail me on my facebook pcd_crist***@****.. plz.. we need tro survive this..isa lang naman kasi ang hiling ko noon ng umiinom pa ako ng althea pill.. it is about my pimples..nalaman ko kc na nakakatulong tong maka wala ng acnes so ng try ako.. hindi ko naman alam na ganon ang side effect.. plz. tx me ryt now .. we need to overcome this btch..
Hey guys!

You all have been so much help! I have been on loestrin 24 for about 1 1/2 years now. At first everything was fine, but lately I've been having some issues with OCD-like symptoms. When I sat down and really thought about when my symptoms started I realized that it was a few months after starting the pill. So I'm going to try going off the pill and see how that works out.

Again, bless all of you for your stories. This forum was truly an answer to my prayers.
Im so with you...Im going thru the same...never connected that it could be bc...i have been on it for 7 yrs now...I like not having to worry about being prego...bc i know in those moments...im not gonna give two craps about controceptive...but now that i think about it...its when all the crap started!!! eww im getting mad now...
Yeah, I understand all that. My symptoms have just been getting progressively worse though. So I don't want to take any chances. A few days off of it and I am starting to feel fantastic and more like myself already!
I recently started Reclipsen, and I am starting to feel like a CRAZY person! I am on the edge, and could have a mental break down at anytime. I feel as though everyone is out to get me, and do not want much to do with anyone anymore. My mood swings are pushing people away, as well as giving me blank thoughts.I had the IUD put in shortly after my son was born, and now that I think about it I was feeling the same way. I also had HORRIBLE pelvic pain for over a year and eventually had it removed. It is nice to know that I am not alone with this, and I really am not as crazy as I feel! I have stopped the bc, and hopefully I will back to my old self soon!
I am on Lo ovral , for about 3 weeks now and it has definetly caused mood swings and depression but i was told to try it for 3 months atleast before changing cause regaurdless with any bc you have hormones. like any of us need more hormones, its like my period is always on but it isnt. I wish there was another method. My bf has to deal with it which makes it even harder. The other night i cried for about two hours for no reason. I am on buspar as well for anxiety and cant sleep without taking it. Im 27 yrs old and although I can be moody on my own. Since the BC started its really bad. Im in bed every day and i want to sleep even though there are more important things to do. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to cope with these side effects until they hopefully taper off.
Im in the exact same position as you were in, had been breastfeeding and put on the mini pill, (still on it), but after reading yours and other posts im going to dump my pills and take no more. Have been feeling horrible but I just put it down to feeling like that after just having a baby, feeling very low, paranoid, depressed, dont want to socialise, feel nervous and anxious and scared all the time, I feel like its ruining my maternity leave and I really want to enjoy my maternity leave before going back to work. thanks for the post, the penny has dropped for me. If anyone is wondering what to do GO OFF the pill, it messes with your hormones and couldnt be good for you.
So glad to have come across this site! I went on the pill around 2 weeks ago due to awfull pain/fainting during my time of the month. After a few days I bean to act completely unreasonable!! No matter what my wonderfull boyfriend did, it wasnt right ( I pulled a hissy fit one night just because he wanted to take me out for supper!!)  Ive been moody, insecure and paranoid ever since. Thoughts and feelings of people hating me, talking about me, disliking me and the things i do in general, as I result I try dessparetly hard with people, and end up looking completley stupid!! Lol! I dont know how my bf puts up with me when im like this..so unreasonable! Im stopping the Pill today because I would rather put up with the pain than be this horrible person im turning in to be. I used to be so happy, care free, generous. Now im just downright cranky, grumpy and cant stand people :-( Hate it!! Please share your toughts..I'll let you know how coming off the pill goes! :-) x
I was reading through your post and currently can relate to your story completely. I was put on BC when i was 16 or 17 and tried it for 2 months and i completely did not take to it. Recently at age 26 my obgyn put me on Loesterin 21FE, the 1st pack was wacky with 2 weeks of spotting and bleeding and i would feel off here and there. 2nd pack was perfect, 3rd pack spotting again, emotionally wrecked, thoughts of emptiness, recurrent nightmares, not happy with things that use to make me happy, unhappy relationship (he's annoyed and distant), i want to cry all the time, sometimes i feel like crying and nothing comes out, i stopped taking BC 9/26/11 so im about 3-4 weeks off  it and i feel like my world is tumbling down, i feel so sad, snappy, my stomach gets these weird feelings like gut feelings and then my mind starts thinking negative at the same time so it makes it way worst, i feel like im being cheated on im somewhat obsessive and mistrust easily, im a mess. I've been trying to let go of things and this guy im with has a bigger negative affect on my situation right now than positive. I can't let go of him because i feel so dependant and i've even scooted my best friend and friends away. I dont know what to do with myself i still feel the same as when i was taking BC. I can totally relate to you though and thank you so much for sharing your story.
Hi, I just started the pill 3 wks ago and can tell a huge change. I am very edgy, little things irritate me and I'm always worrying about my boyfriend as well. I have always been insecurw but nt like this. I also get so easily irritated and want to just rip other peoples heads off. Which is totally not me! I'm ususally very sweet and easy going. I have felt shaky, very jittery inside and heavy chest pressure.  I am keeping a horrible headache to. So bad today I had to leave work. My doctor says she thinks I just can't take any bc. But I need something bc I don't want to get pregnant again right now. But I can't keep taking the pills bc its so bad my boyfriend can't stand to even be around me now. :( if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do please let me know.
am so relieved to find this.. i was on the pill for around 3/4 years microgion i think and totaly lost my sex drive, patients and sanity.. it was horrible. at the time i didn't really think it was anything to do with the pill as i was going through a really stressful time with family, relationships etc.. a year ago i stopped and after a few months went back to my usual happy self.. ive spent the whole of this summer being happy with everything and really enjoying myself. in this time i got involved with a new guy so thought it was best to go back on bc.. started yasmin about 2 months ago and about a month into that started feeling sad/depressed/anxious crying for no reason, you guys all know the score.. feeling like a totaly diffrent person, have pushed so many people away with my dreadful behaviour but just can't control it.. really wanting my new relationship to work so can safely say i'll be coming off the pill
exactly how ive been feeling.. really like i just want to hit random people and stuff. is so scary and not me
Exactly!! My boyfriend and I have been together for two years and now I'm fraid of losing him. I love him so much but really can't control how I'm feeling and it is not me
Ha!..nice to know I'm not crazy. I too went insane while on the pill. It all started when I was 16, I had just become sexually active and my gyno put me on yasmin. Little did I know, how much this pill would change my life. I went from a happy, bubbly, promising young woman to a complete and total nutcase. I became exceedingly withdrawn, depressed, and extremely anxious.. during the time I chalked all this up to my break up with my boyfriend at the time, but the way I was acting was completely out of character. After about four months of intense craziness, I realized that those feelings all began when I had started taking the pill.. so I stopped. While the depression completely went away, the anxiety stayed and manifested into social anxiety...which I have been dealing with for the past 5 years. Fortunately, my social anxiety has gotten a lot better in the last year or so, but I still have occasional 'glitches' here and there..usually right before and during my period.

Anyway, I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who has had this happen to them. I've tried to explain to countless doctors about my reaction to birth control, and they usually look at me like I'm crazy, or lying.  I've lost so many friends and opportunities due to the pill.. I just wish more doctors would understand that while the pill can extremely beneficial, it can also be very harmful.

Have you seen a psychiatrist?
Have you seen a doctor?
Hi Ladies

Just wanted to thank you all for posting. It feels like you've all just described how I'm feeling! I went on the combined pill at the start of the year. Everything was fine at first, but after a couple of months I started to notice that I was moody, irritable and was starting to feel like I was going insane. I've never really been one of those always-cheerful, happy-go-lucky types and always had a bit of a moody side, but since starting on the pill it felt like I had no control over my emotions and I would get moody at the drop of a hat and started crying all the time for no reason. I would be sitting at home feeling happy, and all of a sudden have to leave the room because I was on the verge of tears. Add to that the weight gain and total loss of libido, and life was pretty crap. After about four months and a bit of web surfing I made the connection and decided to switch pills. I saw my doctor and explained my symptoms and he said it sounded like the pill was definitely too strong for me. He prescribed the mini pill that contains no estrogen and I was hopeful.

I went off the pill altogether for about a month before beginning the mini pill, thinking it would be good for my body to have a bit of a break. Then I started taking the mini pill. Again, everything started out great. I got my libido back (yay!), and no longer had pain or dryness (TMI) which was a huge problem while on the combined pill. Now I'm about 3.5 months in again and am feeling like I'm going insane. I don't believe it's as bad as with the combined pill, as for a while there it felt like I should admit myself to the psych ward and was feeling irrational most of the time, but I do get moody and snappy a lot. My boyfriend could say the tiniest thing and I snap and stay angry for the rest of the day. I put it down to PMS, but realise it's the wrong time of the month for that so that can't be it. I get angry about something, then feel out of control and get emotional and sad, by which point my boyfriend is mad at me for being such a moody b*tch. Then I realise I was being irrational, and spend the rest of the day feeling sheepish because I was so crazy. It's overwhelming and honestly feels like I'm going insane!

I'm also noticing increasingly regular feelings of worthlessness, sadness, and hopelessness. I question my relationship and go from thinking everything's fine to wondering if I'm ruining my life and what I'm even doing here. Some days everything just feels so wrong, like I no longer enjoy my job, am insecure in my relationship, and have no hope in life in general. I also think my libido is slowly disappearing again, and am beginning to feel that the pill is the culprit once again. I've gained more weight and so feel terribly insecure and disgusting, and most days am filled with such self-loathe that I don't want my boyfriend to even see me, let alone touch me, so it seems ridiculous to be suffering every day while on the pill for a bit of fun a couple of times a week. And what is left of my libido is challenged by the fact that I feel so disgusting and repulsive that even when I am in the mood, I can't enjoy it as much because I'm worrying about crushing my boyfriend (I'm not even large, but still the thoughts are there!) or how bad I look from his perspective.

My boyfriend is not a fan of condoms, and I do prefer it without them. I do like the convenience of the pill (remembering to take it is no issue), and the fact that I'm not anxiously awaiting my period each month just in case the condom wasn't effective (paranoia), but the weight gain, crazy moods, turbo PMS and general misery hardly seem worth it. I'm thinking of looking into the IUDs as they hopefully would bring less side effects, and think I may have to ditch the pill altogether. I feel like it's a cop out to be blaming my moods etc on the pill again, but I honestly feel that they're to blame both times. I've always been a bit moody, but not to the point of feeling out of control or completely overwhelmed, and all the side effects mentioned have only been since I started taking birth control.

Has anyone else had the same experience where it starts out fine but seems to get worse over time? With both pills (combined and mini), I seem to get to the 3-4 month mark and it hits the fan (just after I refill my prescription), whereas it seemed great for the first month or two. I know they say to allow three months for your body to get used to it and the moods to settle down, etc, but in my experience the moods don't start until a few months in, and the side effects worsen each month. Should I continue taking it for another couple of months in the hope that things improve, even though it seems to get worse with time? Sorry to ramble, but I just wanted to share my experience and thank those before me for making me feel like I'm not the only one :)

I started taking Ortho Tri Cylen low about 2 months ago for severe acne and I honestly dont know how much longer I can last. I have never felt more emotionally unstable as I have since taking the pill. Not to mention the nausea, headaches, weight gain, weakness, being constantly tired, and shortness of breath that i've experienced from the pill. I've refrained from quiting so far because im so desperate for clear skin (which hasn't really happened yet) that im willing to risk my sanity. Im just wondering how long the side effects will last? Or will they ever go away?  
Oh my goodness girls, just like most people on here have said, reading your posts has been a savior.
I've been on Levlen for the last 2 years and during the last few months of 2009, I started experiencing anxiety attacks which triggered irritable bowel. Since then, it got progressively worse, to the point that I was afraid to drive anywhere with someone else in my car and I would not be a passenger in anyones car or a taxi incase I needed to get off and have a panic attack!
Its become completely irrational now - my heart knows its stupid and I shouldnt be feeling this way about completely normal activities... especially going out at night - I get horrible anxiety to the point where I just break down and cry because Im so scared of something, I dont know what. My body has just become used to this routine of getting anxiety everytime I'm coming out of my normal routine.
The last straw for me is when I met a girl at my work who catches the same train as me, and when she asked me to catch the train home with her after work, I went into a panic and had to avoid catching the train with her at all costs incase she saw me in my panicked state - all because I was being thrown out of my routine. Its just stupid stuff like that which I cant figure out where it came from.

But then I decided to look up the association between the pill and anxiety... and I totally think its whats causing this. I never used to be an anxious person - I loved going out at night, going for long drives with people - all things which completely freak me out now.

I'm gonna get off the pill (I'm on my last packet now) and see how my moods go. Its causing problems between me and my boyfriend too - he says I have the worst mood swings and he doesnt know how to deal with it. Half the time I cant wait to call him at the end of the day and then I just wanna hang up on him because I'm so irritable!

Wonder if I should speak to my doctor about getting off Levlen or just go off it by myself?

Sorry about this essay post! haha
Hi Krissyp89, I too was on Levlen originally. The doctor said it's the standard one they put people on to begin with. All fine at the start, as I mentioned above, and then the moods, weight gain, and emotional instability started! Fortunately I was only on it for about four months before I joined the dots and stopped taking it, so luckily I didn't experience the anxiety attacks that you do. I would break down and cry, not out of fear but just for no reason! My boyfriend came home from work one night and we were just sitting around having a chat and I had to leave the room because I was about to burst into tears for no reason whatsoever, I was actually happy but felt the overwhelming urge to cry. I swear I cried more during those few months than I have in my entire life, and it was all completely irrational and ridiculous and yet I had absolutely no control over it. It caused problems between myself and my boyfriend too, and ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it and was so scared that it would tear us apart.

I ended up just stopping it at the end of the packet (just after I'd bought a new batch!), and went to my doctor a few weeks later to change pills. I told him I thought it'd be good to have a break from them altogether for a month and he said that was fine, so I guess there's no real problem with just stopping taking them. Although, you were on it for much longer than me but I don't recall any side effects from not taking them.

You may want to see if you can try a different pill though? In that case you should obviously talk to your doctor, but otherwise I think it should be ok to stop taking them on your own. I was prescribed Microlut, which is a super low dose mini pill and it too started out great, even better than Levlen did, until this past month or so when I started noticing familiar depressing thoughts, more weight gain, moodiness and epic PMS symptoms. It very nearly cost me my relationship this time and my sanity, so I just stopped taking them mid-pack a few days ago. I was on them for a few days shy of four months, and so far so good. I feel less bloated already and more mentally stable I guess and it's only been a few days. So I guess my advice would be to listen to your body, you know yourself and you know that the moods and anxiety etc are out of character for you (it may be hard to convince your bf that it's the pill's fault though), and that it's not worth the constant suffering. There are other methods of contraception out there that won't ruin your social life or send you bonkers. Good luck :)
I am also glad I googled this. I just had a baby in June and got on the pill as soon as I was able. Not wanting another baby right away. I had really bad hair loss, was angered easy one minute and the next I was crying feeling low and depressed. I recently stopped my BC pills and I started my cycle right after having one but my mood swings and depression has gone away. I was also unable to sleep. The most I got day to day was 2 or 3 hours and with a new baby that wasn't going to do me any good. I have tried several different pills and I am just thinking not even trying anything else just fed up with all of the symptoms of the BC pills. My husband is in the AirForce and is away so it wasn't making it easy on him with me yelling at him and getting pissed off at him everyday. We are doing much better now and I can't wait for him to come home for Christmas. Maybe we will go for a second child and get things taken care of after that so we won't have to worry about the BC pills or anymore children.
I was just placed on birth control by my doctor due to cysts and i just finishing reading the book "the power of now" I am curious which pill caused your depression? I am also going through a breakup but i find that although i am no longer sad about that i am generally depressed.
Hi: I have been on birth control for 10+ years and since i will be 50 next month, my doctor took me off of them. I did have side effects coming off the pill. Yet, on the other hand, i have no depression and or anxiety anymore. I feel great! i have suffered with depression and anxiety for years, never knowing that it was the birth control pills!! I am amazed...thanks you for this posting.
I had been on ortho tri cyclen for 10 yes I stopped it and immefiatly had my first encounter with panic attacks I became agoraphobic and lost everything I didn't know then that the bc pills changing hormone levels is what caused it I slowly got better over five years of mental he'll and barely had any attacks I got pregnant had a beautiful baby and 4 months later got on ortho tri cyclen lo took it two months with severe migraines and the this past week on my third month my worse nightmare came true panic attacks back full force I can't go in stores or do any of the things I've worked so hard to do all these yrs since panic first took my sanity I stopped them two days ago and I am praying to go back to normal I feel like I'm on the verge of dying or a severe breakdow I'm so scared
I had no idea how common this was and how much better i feel knowing that i know whats going on with me lately, when i first turned 15 i started taking yasmin for period control and acne, after 4 months i noticed it wasn't helping anything, it was making my moods change a fair bit and i was also gaining weight so i went off it for around 7 months then i had noticed my periods when crazy and i they would come and go as they pleased also my acne had gotten much worse, i went back to the doctor to go back on the pill as i needed my periods fixed, i was now sexually active and i wanted to clear up my skin, when i was 16 i was put on Leven because there was a possiblity i have poly cystic ovaries and a hormone imbalance and have been on it for around 4 months and have to be on some sort of hormone replacement for a long time. during that 4 months i was seeing this boy and a few months ago he broke it off for no reason i was heartbroken, i cryed for days and day and even now im still really depressed i cry all the time just thinking about him and how my life used to be i'm constantly feeling worthless, and nothing i do makes me genuinely happy, at first i just thought i was just over reacting and being a sook about him but im a completely different person when im off the pill, i rarely show any emotion and i never ever cry. after reading all this im considering going back to the doctor and doing something about the depression and horrible feelings im constantly feeling
I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone.  I'm 28 and just recently stopped taking the pill after taking the first week and a half in my pack.  I began taking Yasmin at age 19, right before starting my second year of college.  I had just transferred to another school, leaving behind my live-in boyfriend of 3 years.  The night before my first class, I had a panic attack.  I began having a pins-and-needles feeling in my arms at times but it eventually subsided. I felt extremely nervous for a while and never quite settled in at school.  I would go to class, go home and go back to my parents' or my boyfriend's house on the weekends.  I was afraid to drive my car.  Sometimes I would panic for no apparent reason.  I attributed this all to stress and starting a new school.  After two semesters, I moved back to my previous school and moved back in with my boyfriend.  Fast forward to about 2 years ago when I was done with school, and had a new boyfriend.  I had been having extreme heartburn to the point where it actually occurred to me that it might be caused by my birth control.  I had also been feeling fairly anxious and brought it up to my doctor.  She switched me to Loestrin 24.  My heartburn went away and I felt fairly normal.  Two months ago, I was watching a documentary on television about a woman who wrecked her car killing herself and 6 others, including children.  I had a panic attack that night and didn't sleep a wink.  For at least a week my panic wouldn't subside and I was completely worn out but afraid to sleep.  I felt like the world was ending and I had an intense feeling of doom most of the time.  My throat felt tight and I felt like I was dying.  I began doing research online and realized that maybe my birth control could be causing my anxiety.  It took me 9 years to realize that I hadn't felt like myself in 9 years.  Like I said, I quit taking the pill after a week and a half of my last pack.  The intensity of my panic was so overwhelming I had to stop.  I'm not sure how long it will take to feel normal again, and I'm not sure I ever will.  My panic attacks have subsided but at times I still have them.  In a social situation, I start worrying about having an attack and it almost causes me to have one.  I've been self-medicating by drinking alcohol.  I don't want to become dependent on alcohol and I don't want to take antidepressants or anti anxiety medication.  I've been taking a B Complex supplement because I read about it being a good treatment for anxiety.  Hopefully it will keep my anxiety at bay until my hormones level out and I feel like myself again.  I can tell it's happening, but it's a slow process.  I don't want to let this hold me back from accomplishing anything else in my life.  I know I'm on the right track by stopping the pill and I encourage anyone who is thinking about starting it to take a step back and look at the ways it can affect you and rationalizing whether it's even worth it.  Knowing now that the pill has caused my anxiety, I feel like it has definitely held me back from reaching my full potential in life and I just hope I can overcome this before it sets me back even more.
Thank you for your post; it was very helpful. I too have been on the pill for a little over 1 yr. I started off with taking ortho tri cyclen and eventually changed to microgestin. Intially I thought a lower dosage would help with my anxiety and feelings of uneasiness, however, that was not the case. I find myself feeling more anxiuos and fearful. I have had thoughts that purely scare me. I am not convinced that the pill is worth all of the mental ware and tare. After reading the posts on this site, I will be making an apppointment with my primary care MD as well as my OBGYN. The information shared here is important and should be shared with all women who are considering the pill.
Thank you :)
This exact thing happened to me. I took Loestrin about a year ago for about 3 months & was so bad off with anxiety & depression I wouldn't leave my room. I couldn't even work anymore, had to quit my job & everything. Got off the pill hoping it was the cause of all of my problems & then after a month I was well again. Then 3 months ago I got on the Lo Loestrin Fe & immediately I started acting the same way. I'm half way through my 3rd pack & I'm going to get off of it when it is gone to see if I get to feeling better.
Im so glad i have read this, i know the comments are a few years old now but they have been so helpful! I have been on the pill almost 3 years now and for the past year and a half or so i have noticed changes in the way i feel. Often i feel nervous or worried for no reason at all, especially at night. I feel a bit stupid about it which is why i havent told anyone, i thought it was just me but after seeing that so many others have suffered some form of anxiety i think its possible that taking the pill has had a bigger effect on my mood than i thought! I am going to have a think about other methods of contraception and try taking a break from the pill and see if it makes a difference.
I just began taking Loestrine Fe two months ago after being off the pill for many years. One week after being on the pill I began to feel very suspicious of my boyfriend and started doing out of character things like looking through his belongings and his phone. As things progressed and I talked to him about how I was feeling I started twisting the reassuring things he would say to me and turning them into negatives. I became so afraid he was cheating on me. The past three days I have started experiencing full blown panic attacks for the first time in my life. My ears pound and my face, arms and legs become numb and tingly. My chest has a crushing weight and I become hot and cold. It feels like weight pressing on my brain. I even had to be hospitalized last night and my blood pressure was through the roof. My boyfriend has decided we need to postpone our move into the city. He is heartbroken that my once unfailing trust in him is altered, and that I am having all of these delusional thoughts that are taking over my life. I am hoping so much that this is all due to the birth control. Tomorrow will be my first day not taking a new pack. I want my life back...my beautiful relationship. I want my trust, my faith and my peace of mind.
I was also on Loestrin for years and never understood how I got to be so anxious and panicky.  Thoughts would pop into my head and I would freak out.  I got severely depressed and wouldn't get out of bed and other days I couldn't be still practically acting like Monk with crazy OCD.  I got off because I changed doctors and insurance and there was a few months I didn't have a pill.   strated seeing a therapist and thought that was the reason all my symptoms went away.  I am back on but this time I'm on LO Loestrin.  It never occured to me that the pill was the reason I felt so crazy.  A week after taking the pill I started to get those old feelings back.  It starts with the restlessness and the overall blah.  Then the anger and frustration kick in.  After that you freak out and can't go to sleep at night.  Now I am exhausted and don't do anything after work but lay in bed and think.  I feel so much better knowing what my boyfriend calls "my theory" is correct.  Thanks for the confirmation.
Thanks to everyone for sharing! I have been on beyaz for about six months now. Just three or four weeks after starting the pill, my anxiety (which I've had for years) became extremely intense. I then began experiencing panic attacks (completely new to me and terrifying!) along with many physical symptoms of anxiety, panic and stress including chest pains and what feels like skipped beats, headaches, eye pain,  exhaustion, uncontrollable crying and more. I'm a stay at home mom to a very incredible but challenging toddler and thought the stresses of motherhood had just been wearing me down. Looking back, I realized all of this really started just weeks after I began taking beyaz. I think I'll finish out this month's pack and then quit the pill for good. Good luck to you ladies!
I was on Yasmin, then Diane 35, then Orthotricyclen lo, then the generic version of Diane 35, then back on Orthotricyclen lo for approximately 3 years. I started birth control pills because of stubborn acne and wanting to avoid pregnancy. Starting out, I DID get more inflamed acne around my chin, but it cleared more or less upon switching to Diane 35.
Something not shared with my doctor upon being on the pill for 9 months was that I started having panic attacks; something completely out of character for me. I will admit though, that I started experiencing 'psychotic' symptoms around age 15, most notably delusional thoughts and have been depressed or something similar since I was 9; these have not been shared with my doctor, but what transpired after years of birth control use makes me think I should have mentioned something.
My doctor persuaded me after 6 months of Diane 35 to switch to Orthortricyclen lo because the triphasic pills have less blood clotting incidences than monophasic (apparently). I noticed less acute anxiety attacks, but more depression, and more irrational, delusional thoughts (I figured if I knew they were irrational and delusional, that it would be fine, I could do some personal cognitive behavioral therapy on myself). I do not mean to blame birth control pills for my 'nuttiness', but I believe the pill exasperated my predispositions to insanity (Not trying to make this sound like women are naturally hysterical, or that estrogen/progesterone causes hysteria, it does not. My point is that FAKE hormones, although molecularly identical to hormones in your body, are NOT supposed to be there, at that level, if you are not pregnant. Personal opinion here, bred from personal experience). From what I know about hormones, they work in concert with one another; it's not as if they are mutually exclusive of one another. Your body is a magnificent machine made of interrelated parts and chemicals. I noticed nearing the end of my birth control use, with increasing stress from university and employment, that I had WICKED acne inflammation around my chin. My skin was marred (still is, but with scars) and I suspect the pill contributed to my bad reaction in congruence with stress (physiologically, stress is by caused hormones: adrenaline, cortisol, etc. which if not properly dealt with, will cause mental distress and in my case, acne).
I decided that after exams, I would go off the pill. For the first week, I had a headache starting an hour or so before until an hour or so after I would normally taken my pill. Bled incessantly (stopped mid cycle, contributing factor?). Despite these two side effects, I felt totally stress-free (and back at school again, I feel really fantastic). Just under a month of being off, I feel so much better: no headaches, acne inflammation departing (I do get a pimple here and there, but nothing like before) and feel LESS mentally deranged.
I am disappointed in the medical professionals who, when I asked about the risks of birth control pills (breast cancer links, blood clots and heart issues, which family history makes me prone) I was told essentially that I was going to get breast cancer anyways, I'd just get it earlier instead (endocrine cancer grows with hormones) or that it was unlikely that I would have a heart attack or stroke so long as I was healthy (physically maybe, but studies show a link between stress and heart disease, which I most certainly WAS). I was told my side effects were 'normal': terrible migraines, acne, mood swings (did not tell them anything else about my mental health), server constipation =( and vaginal dryness leading to decreased libido (lube only slightly helped).. I disagree. My life was seriously altered. The reasons why I went on birth control were confused; I still had acne, and I didn't want to have sex because it hurt or was inconvenient "honey, could you grab the lube for your 20 year old girl friend, she is dryer than a menopausal vagina". Uncool.
I take responsibility for not being informed about my health, and ignoring my intuitions and refusing taking control of myself like I should have. But now I am. For anyone taking birth control or planning to, investigate. Hormonal treatments are SERIOUS, reserved pretty well only for people who have hormonally derived issues (treating prostate cancer with estrogen, treating PCOS with the pill) yet the greater of female society have to trade many personal well-beings just to avoid pregnancy (and, there are other ways to not get pregnant) and MAYBE reduce acne. Hormonal treatments aren't some joking matter. These are important chemicals in your body and I think their safety has been overlooked..
I wonder if I had told the medical professionals that I felt like I was going nuts, that people around me were telling me I was going nuts, if they would have just given me another drug to take and tell me to stay on birth control or taken me off. I suspect they would not care, as they did not care about my mother, grandmother, and great aunt having breast cancer issues and what they would mean for me being on hormonal treatments. Regardless of any counterfactual thinking I could do, for rate now, I know I feel better, I look better (except when I bloat! Haven't gotten an actual 'period' yet... just the first bleed, but I think I ovulated a few days ago so hoping for period soon!). To anyone coming off the pill, I suggest peppermint tea twice a day for the first few weeks until you get the sense you are ovulating (**NOT A DOCTOR, but peppermint tea has been showed in a few studies in humans and rats to increase your natural estrogen, lutenizing hormone and progesterone, whilst decreasing free testosterone) then to not bother too much with it (again, with endocrine cancer argument.. and you don't want too much of a good thing). I eat 'fairly' healthy, have incorporated 'green smoothies' and drink LOTS of water/vegetable juice/herbal teas/green tea. To anyone reading this terribly long comment, I want you to know that ultimately, you are the advocate for your health, not someone who gets their bonuses from the pharmaceutical industry. There is a time and place for medical doctors, no doubt, but our lives have become SO medicalized... it's time to take a few things back to nature, and dammit, my period, sanity and sex life are some of them.
Oh, and I had chronic yeast infections... gone away now ;) That in itself makes you feel much more certain about yourself. (sorry, typing this late at night)
Thank you sooooo very much!!! My daughter thought she was going nuts.... stopped it and wow!!! what a difference.

THANK GOODNESS!!!!! Somebody that feels the same as me!!! Ithiught i was going mad!! I've had exactly the same symptoms as you've described....
I was on the pill years ago & suffered terrible panic attacks but didn't relate it... i had the coil fitted after my first child & for years they went away... i had to have the coil removed as it slipped & they put me back on the pill while they did some tests... I've only been taking it 3 weeks & already feel like i'm going to die!!! i've had all the anxiety back.. strange sensations in my left leg that makes me want to chop it off & i feel so tense its unbelievable.... You've made me feel so much better.... I'm finishing this month & thats it for the pill with me... I'll go without sex if necessary (mind you, not that i feel much like it at the moment anyway).... Praying that they can refit the coil soon..... Many thanks... Hoping you're feeling better yourself.... xxxxxx
I ve been on a low dosage for about a month for irregular periods I'm 13 though and I stopped taking them Bc I was so sick ! Then when i went back Ti the divorce they put me on a higher dosage alot of sense right ? But the pill I'm taking now makes me depressed I don't wanna eat I I ea I wann throw EVERYTHIG up and i can't sleep like it keeps me up wide awake all night I'm so tired Nd when I stopped taking the pill last time i was fine I Dont Knoww if I should keep taking to regulate my periods are just get off of them help !
I'm so happy to find this- not because i want other people to be miserable though! My story is that about 5 years ago i was going through a hard time and suffered depression, terrible anxiety and panic attacks which lasted a year or so. I have been much better for years now although i still take citalopram as a sort of emotional crutch since the panic attacks.  . About 3 months ago i was started on Yasmin because i have polycycstic ovary syndrome and didnt have a period for about 6 months. The first couple of months were great- i felt much less hormonal than before and generally happy. For about a month now i feel hormonal, i have no sex drive, i cant relax or let things go and i keep getting feelings of the dreaded anxiety i used to suffer- a feeling i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. After reading so much online i have decided to stop it and continue with metformin and citalopram as before, but also generally try to relax, eat better and get more exercise. I have tried several pills now over the years and theyve all had an effect on my mood. Maybe im just moody?! Does anyone have any views on this or suggest an alternative to Yasmin?
How comforting it is to find this and know that other people are having problems with the pill. I am on my third month of being on Microgynon and I have decided today to stop taking it. This is my first time taking birth control medication and when I first started I noticed I was having significantly more mood swings that usual. This stopped for a while but since mid December my mental health has hit rock bottom. I have been severely depressed for over a month. I find that my mood is usually down during the day but then at night I seem to be fine. I cry most days and feel upset for no reason. I have a boyfriend and I worry that he won't be able to cope with my emotions lately, but he has stood by me. (god bless him haha) I can't keep going on like this so I am going to see if there are any other Pills I can take that won't make me depressed or give me these horrible mood swings. Recently I have also found that I am having minor anxiety attacks. Most of the comments here seem to show that there are a lot of people taking birth control pills and having the same problems. It is good to know I am not going crazy! I can't wait to get back to my normal self! There is no reason for me to be feeling this down at the minute. I think if anyone is having problems similar to me and is on the pill they should consult their doctor or go off them for a while and see if they notice a difference in their mood. I hope this helps, this page has definitely helped me :)
It's been ten weeks since I took my last birth control pill and I just thought I'd let everyone know what's happening.  I've had two regular periods since stopping and they were in a normal cycle, just like before I started taking the pill.  It feels good to know that I'm normal again in that aspect.  As you can see in my earlier post on December 12, I've been struggling with anxiety which is why I ultimately stopped taking the pill.  Since then, I've been taking a B Complex vitamin as a natural remedy but I'm still experiencing moderate anxiety.  I also drink at least two glasses of wine per night to calm myself.  I haven't had a panic attack but I've been so worried about having one that it adds to my anxiety.  This whole experience has brought me closer to God and I pray that he gives me the strength and patience to help me and others experiencing the same thing get through this.  Just yesterday, I was researching natural anxiety remedies and I ran across something called Bach Flower Remedies.   These are dilutions of flower materials intended mainly for emotional and spiritual conditions including, but not limited to stress, anxiety and insomnia.  I've ordered a few including Red Chestnut, White Chestnut, Mimulus and Aspen.  These are supposed to help with anxiety, intrusive thoughts, and worries about the well-being of loved ones.  There are 38 extracts total for various conditions.  Some websites offer a questionnaire and offers suggestions for the right blend for you.  Supposedly all these are safe for everyone (pregnant women, elderly, babies and even pets), non-habit forming and won't interact adversely with any other drugs.  They are designed to release the toxins that are causing your emotional distress.  Your condition is able to be cured and you won't have to keep taking the extracts indefinitely like most medications.  We'll see if this works.  Has anyone else heard of this or know someone who's tried it?  I absolutely DO NOT want to take a pharmaceutical drug.  Just Google Bach Flower Remedies and see what you come up with.  There are tons of testimonials and I've yet to find anything negative about it.  Good luck to everyone and God Bless!
I've heard of the Bach remedies and used it a bit on my cat. I hope it works for you!! Please post and let us know. I take prescription medication for my panic disorder and it works great but I wish I didn't have to.

Anxiety disorders run in our family so I don't know if it was triggered by the pill or not.  I've had this problem off and on for 20 years.  
I am on my 20th year and was switched out about 6 years ago, I am starting to make a connection between the anxiety and the birth control. But its confusing as I never had issues before these ones. I am now 34 and from doing some reading I am finding BC pills can cause these issues, I do suffer from depression off and on through my life, but my anxiety is out of control and I feel emotionally numb now. I have terrible mood swings that scare me and my head feels foggy alot. I think it may be time for a break from them.
we have been discussing about depression due to birthcontrol pill...but anybody knows that new mother also fall in depression,.. http://www.depressionsymptomsguide.com/postpartum-depression.html
I am 33 years old and had only used birth control twice, once at the age of 20 until I turned 21 and then again at 28.  I also have OCD with symptoms that aren't severe.  I normally just always check to make sure that kitchen items and the hair dryer are unplugged before leaving the house, make sure the faucets aren't dripping, the stove is off, and constantly clean things off the floor.  My OCD also makes me a little germaphobic, but not to the point of bleaching or washing my hands constantly.  I'm just a bit of a neat freak... Anyway, when I started taking the pill again at 28 I found myself exhibiting more severe OCD symptoms--like actually trying over an hour to iron a wrinkle from the wood floor.  (Really ridiculous)   I was also depressed and sleeping alot.  I was mean to my kids (way to strict) and then I sometimes couldn't even recall how mean or severly OCD I was a few days ago.  It was like I was a walking shell of myself.  It was terrible.  Anyway, I finally connected my issues to the timing of the birth control and tried to switch a couple times... The symptoms didn't get any better.  Then I decided to stop.  Well, it took about 4-5 months until I felt like myself again. Looking back I feel like I had lost two years of my life and wreaked havoc for my family during those two years.  Let's face it, hormones are nothing to be messed with.   I really wish there were non hormonal easy to use options other than condoms that we could use for birth control because I'm not against it.  I just dislike having to manipulate our hormones.  It's just not natural.

It's funny.  I think some women are B****es because they started birth control at a young age.  They probably don't even know what it would be like without having anything manipulating your hormones.  
Yes.  You should try to take a break from them.  Please don't fret about not feeling well soon after.  I think it takes time for our hormones to get back to normal again. It took me 4-5 months after stopping.  Fortunately, I was able to recognize that it was the pills because as time went on my symptoms would get worse depending on what week I was on.  I also remembered what it was like to be off the pill and knew that something was off.  Unfortunately for some women they have been on the pill since their teenage years or early twenties and don't know what it's like to not be on them.  I'm so glad that I decided to stop.  I now use the natural method of birth control, which is basically making sure that you know when you are fertile.  A few days of inconvenience is better than a lifetime of depression. Good luck to you!
My fiancee has had panic attacks recently, non-stop period, terrible mood swings, etc. on 29 Dec she was shopping for a very expensive "commitment" ring for me (totally out of character for both of us) and on 2 Jan she called a break in our relationship over email. I gave her space and told her I thought I recognized a shift in her emotions due to hormone imbalance. She totally lost it and was pissed at me.  She has been to the doctor since and the doctor told her to stop the pill. She's been on it about a year, maybe a little less. She wasn't on it 18 months ago when we started going out. But now, she told me she's stopping the birth control but still thinks the break was a good idea. She's looking for jobs out of state and still being cold. I won't call her, but she won't even answer email. The whole thing is out of control. I just hope stopping the pill gives her a new perspective. How long would that take if it really was the pill?  I don't know what to do next. Any help ladies? I love her, want to respect her wishes and I want to be certain not to do something to screw this up, including doing nothing.
Im 18 and i have been on Tri-cyclen for since dec 11 2011, and i  was fine, remembering taking pills every day, working, spending time with my fam, doing chores, But this past week -  2 weeks i have been forgetting to take my pills, been more lazy, mood changes, when i have a shower i would be in and out, now i just lay in the tub just sitting there in the water like im having a bath with the shower still on, dont help out do chores or clean my room, I always get cold shivers, feel really numb and bored, lost of appetite, too lazy to get food and water if im really hungry or thirsty, like id rather sit there and do nothing for hours. I have heard birth control can cause depression i thought it was silly until i read these posts and kinda expeirencing it for my self. Im on a 3 month trial and im half way done my 2nd package, should i wait till i finish all 3 packages then call , or just call my docotor now and tell him whats going on :S
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted here. It has made me feel like there is hope and that I am not the only one who has experienced this. I only wish I had figured out sooner that it was the birth control pills that were causing it. I am just wondering how long it will take for this to be out of my system? I have been on lo-loestrin fe and loestrin fe for 4 months. It has made me have all o what you have described. Anxiety, shivering depression, negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, etc. I want my life back.
I have asthma and anxiety can I mix anxiety meds being on the depo birth control shot?
Yes- i think you should try to go off it. I have recently had the same issue. I was on Yaz for about 3 years and one month completely messed up my pills doubling up 2 pills 4 nights in a row. Ever since then I started having the exact same issues you are having.  I have been off BC for about 2 months now. I am starting to feel better, but it certainly does take time. Just stay positive and when you are having those awful feelings just remember that it will get better. 2 steps forward- 1 step back, 2 steps forward....
It's been 13 weeks since I stopped taking my birth control after suffering with severe anxiety, among other problems (See Dec. 12 and Jan 10 posts).  I ordered the Bach Flower Remedies to help with my anxiety but I haven't taken them because I've feeling so much better.  I don't have as many negative, intrusive thoughts and my anxiety has subsided immensely.  I had been taking a B12 supplement to help with anxiety but since I've been feeling better I forgot to take a few it so I stopped all together.  A few things that I also think were caused by my birth control pills were chronic UTIs and low/no sex drive.  I wish I would've stopped taking my birth control pills much earlier but I'm just thankful I'm feeling better now.  To all of you who are experiencing anxiety and other symptoms associated with birth control, just know that you aren't alone and that you WILL get better, it just takes some time.  I thought I would always be a basket case but now I know the cause and I don't ever want to feel that way again.
I've been on Lo Loestrin Fe for about 7 months now and just at the start of this year I began feeling really depressed for no apparent reason. I have become extremely sensitive and the smallest, most insignificant things make me cry. I have been starting fights with my boyfriend over petty things. It doesn"t help because I'm at a very hrd place in my life right now, I haven't got a car, job, and I don't have any real friends I can talk to. I live with my mother and she is the most difficult person to work anything out with, and I've tried telling her I've been really depressed and sensitiv because of the pill, but she doesn"t believe me, and doesn't care, so she continues to add to my stress by arguing and threatening me, and accusing me of things. I have no family who can help me. I want to go to a therapist, but I'm afraid to ask my mother because I have to rely on her for everything. I have so much stress in my life and I want to know if the pill is causing it or making it worse. if anyone has any answers, please share them.
Hello there,
I have came across this board as I (probably like all of you are) am researching the links with the Pill and bad Mental Health. I am currently on my 5th or 6th pill. I will name them here as I go on for people who are wondering what to switch to. The bad news is girls, I DO NOT recommend ANY of them.

Im 28 now and many years ago I took my first pill Dianette (excuse my spelling) I have extremely heavy, painful, long irregular periods and irregular bleeding. This is why I have used the pill -to try and regulate my periods.

Dianette had me SUICIDAL. At first it would start a day or two before my period -I would get servere feelings of dread out of the blue and knots in my stomach, I would be so depressed and have really strange crazy thoughts, then it became constant -so it was not just when I was on my period.
I went to the Doctor, came off Dianette and I was then placed on CELEST.

At first things were going well -what a relief, then after a few months, the depression started coming back with every period.

I was put on Cerrazette -this sounded like a great pill. However I bled straight through it for 14 days straight, and had another long heavy period within the same month. The doctor was concerned and decided that I should look at getting a womb Biopsy as I should not have been bleeding on that pill.

I also have been prescribed Yasmin  -I think I started to get crazy, anxious and depressed as soon as I started taking it. I felt physically sick and still had period problems. I decided that was it for me and the pill. I have not been on it for at least 5 years....until now.

My periods have become so problematic and interfering with my life, I agreed to try out one more pill that my doctor said was "a good one." FEMODENE. The second day of taking Femodene I was not myself. I was quiet, unenthusiastic, generally quite  low. the third and forth day I was very low, agitated, stressed,angry, snapping at friends which turned into being outright confrontational. I felt physically sick -like that sickness you get when you are heart broken or something terrible has happened. I started feeling like I needed to get out of work so I could go home, lie on the floor and never get up -that stretched into wondering if the answer to my problems would just be to kill myself. On day 5 -yesterday I was so full of rage and sadness, I felt phyisically choked up and on the verge of tears -I wanted to be alone -I didnt want to be alone. I cancelled my meetings and decided I needed to get blind, steaming drunk. This then resulted in me confronting friends and aquaintences and being very nasty.
This morning I woke up and I didnt take the pill. I feel miles better. I have been smiling and laughing (apologised to my friends and explained) I feel more relaxed, that horrible pressure of rage and sadness is gone!

I have not told my doctor yet -I doubt she will believe I had such an adverse  instant reaction to it within just a few days. I am never taken BC again. I am instead going to look at other more natural ways I may be able to improve my periods. Any recomendations would be great.
Can't believe there are so many women out here who have experienced similar things to myself. The pill and everything that came with it made for the worst year of my life. I attempted suicide numerous times, as well as self harm; it literally almost killed me.

I went on the pill to help my severe acne, regulate my periods and for contraception purposes. I started getting extremely teary and moody all the time, every little thing would make me cry. I have a history of anxiety disorder and mild depression, so I didn't relate this to the pill at the time. My skin cleared up beautifully which made me ecstatic, but everything started to get worse, including my anxiety, so my doctor recommended antidepressants. I went on Sertraline, a newish SSRI for anxiety and depression, and all was okay until they doubled my dosage. Suddenly, I was crazy. I tried to jump out windows, I had visions of killing my boyfriend and other people I loved, I was suicidal, severely depressed, self harming, saw everything around me as a weapon, paranoid, moody, emotional, and literally felt insane. Needless to say I went off the antidepressants, although my doctor and a psychiatrist I saw tried to force other medication on me despite me insisting I was never taking antidepressants again.

I stayed on the pill for my period, contraceptive and skin's benefit, but remained depressed and slightly suicidal up until now. It wasn't until recently that I decided I would stop the pill to see if it had any improvement on my mind. Within two days, I feel like a new woman. I can't believe I didn't connect the dots before. I am a hundred thousand times happier, and feel completely sane for the first time in what feels like forever. I am studying to be a psychologist so I can help people like myself and all of you here, who have been through and are going through hell.

My advice to all of you out there: stop taking the pill. Please. You will notice a massive difference to your mood, your anxiety, your depression, and your overall outlook on life. If any of you have been told by doctors to go on antidepressants: for your own safety, don't. We don't need a pill to muck with our minds. We aren't told the dangers of these things. I feel lucky to be alive right now, and I wish I had had someone telling me what so many of us now know before I followed my doctors advice.

Take care.

Kendall
It has been lovely to read all your stories. Sharing our experiences is very empowering when it comes to making difficult decisions llike whether to take the contraceptive pill. I think so many girls, including myself, can feel pressured into taking the pill by our partners, because it appears to be the easy option to prevent pregnancy. However, it is such a personal decision and many things should be considiered. I took the pill for about 9 years and suffered from depression throughout that time. The simplest of tasks felt overwhelming. I wasn't aware of the connection between the Pill and my depression until i visited a Naturopath. Once i came off it, the difference was like night and day. Not only has my depression disappeared, my immune system is much stronger.  I have since started training to be a Naturopath myself and have learnt that:

- The pill reduces B vitamins, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Zinc
- It causes an imbalance to your gut microflora which affects immunity.  
- It contains Xenoestrogens which are harmful, potent hormonally acting chemicals that are linked with many cancers.

You may find that the risks are down played by your doctor so if you are thinking about going on the Pill, i would suggest visiting a highly qualified Naturopath or Alternative Medical Practitioner for advice so you can make an informed decision.

Karen
OMG I have been going through the EXACT same thing. Reading this message is like a Godsend because I was LITERALLY just thinking that I must have bi-polar disorder or even something worse that would require me to be hospitalized. I have been having suicidal thoughts too more from the anxiety than the depression. I have been having mood swings and panic attacks and anxiety/depression. What kind of birth control have you been taking?
I am so relieved to find this site and I feel better just having read everyone's stories. I have a family history of mental illness (bi-polar, depression, borderline personality disorder) but have never really struggled with any depression/anxiety. My father passed away a couple of years ago and I had a lot of the depression/anxiety symptoms as a result of the  but it was not as bad as this!
I have been taking seasoniqe for about 9 months now and have been increasingly having mood swings, snapping at my boyfriend whom I love with all my heart and would never want to hurt. I feel like a mean person and a jerk! I am NOT usually like this. I have been crying a LOT. Yesterday I was cooking dinner and started crying thinking that my boyfriend may leave me. I was never worried about that before and he never gave me any reason to believe he would. I have been really jealous of him talking to other girls and that usually wouldn't bother me before. I also cried because he called me mean. Like BAWLED.
I had an anxiety attack today and have been crying off and on. I cried because of the anxiety attack and later cried because the water in the shower wouldn't get hot enough. I knew it was ridiculous to cry about but couldn't help it.
I have been afraid that I am going insane and am extremely worried that if it continues this was I will eventually end up in a mental hospital.
This forum has helped me so much I am going to get off the birth control and hopefully I will get better. I already feel better after having read this.
Hi, i just got married in June, we moved overseas to my husbands country, so i needed new birth control i went to a new doctor and told him what i was talking previously, no worries gave me levlen ED (new control) so i was driving to school the other day i was short of breath, tight in the chest and could barely breath (anxiety attack, yes) i have been out of work as well looking for work and adapting to a new country can play a toll on someone, however the pills are taking me so low, its unbearable, I'm turning into a monster with all these hormones coming into my body, i think this is no way to start a new marriage, thank god my husband knows its that time and mentally prepares himself for (i call her Evlen monster) to come out for the week, I'm going off the pill as i want to be level headed again
Every post on this site has been unbelievably helpful. I just started birth control again after taking about a year off from it. I had been going mentally insane. I have a great boyfriend and nothing has changed in our relationship yet for the past week I have been having mental debates with myself and random urges to break up with him. When I try to figure out why I feel that way I get so angry because I know that's not what I want but my mind won't stop running with emotions that are coming out of no where making me feel like he's doing something wrong. So good to know I'm not the only one.
I know what you're feeling....
Listen. About 2 months ago I started doing research on this issue because I felt so sick in the head and abnormal (depressed, irritable, anxious, upset, wanting to cry at anything and everything that set me off). I was on this site and many others trying to find answers to my dismay and it sounded like I felt like everyone on here. OK, I'll give you the stats really quick:
I have been on loestrin fe (daily pill) since May, the abnormal feelings started just before November.
2 months ago, approximately, after dealing with this horrid feeling/attitude about my self is when I did research.
I have found numerous research that indicates that b.c. has a tendency to diminish the amount of b6 and other chemicals that are needed to have feelings of serotonin* and dopamine* =meaning that the chemicals in your body make you feel happy you can't feel them anymore.
SO, having some sort of relief, I began to get my happy chemicals back up in my body.
1. I take a prenatal 2. I take a b6 pill 3. take a 5 HTP (all 3 found OTC in walmart, kroger, walgreens) and 4. take a Sam-e  vitamin (GNC) and still take my loestrin fe daily.
BOY!
Have I noticed a feeling almost immediately! In 2 days I got the "kick" of life again. I could feel excited again, finally. I recommend these because 1, they are natural and you body produces them anyways, you just need an EXTRA amount of vitamins to replace the diminished ones.
I took this concoction for 2 weeks solid, and then slowly started to reduce the amount of pills. Now I'll take 2 of the pills, switching and mixing it up every other day or so, along with my b.c.
I hope this helps. I too like others began to seek help from a psychiatrist... but I don't really believe in it and I think that that option can hurt you in many ways. So before you go on with that option, please try this natural option. I feel soooooooo much happier and healthier now. I haven't cried, I laugh, love my boyfriend more than I have in months it feels! And he has noticed a definite change.
Least you can do is try it, or try at least on of the vitamins.
AND REMEMBER! Think positive as you take them and hope that they work and give it a chance and some time. If you have a very bad attitude going in, I can guarantee you that you won't receive the same results as I did...
good luck and I hope some of you find the answer and well being to your health.

-l.s.
I started the depo shot late november of 2011. Before the shot, I was just starting my freshman year at college, met a guy, met new friends, and life was good being a new adult. But ever since around the time I started the shot... it gave me the worst depression ever. I felt as if I isolated myself away from everyone except my boyfriend. And I craved his attention 24/7. I feel as if i have become crazy. When my boyfriend does things that upset me, we both argued almost everyday about it, and I would just cry the rest of the night which turned into cycles, like an emotional wreck that eventually led me to slacking in school. I switched over to Sronyx and the symptoms of depression are the same. I'm also hungry ALL THE TIME, even after i eat. But somehow i'm loosing weight. I also feel nausous alot. But im not sure if thats due strictly because of my emotions or the birth control itself. All I know is that I have literally lost who I used to be and can't seem to figure out who I want to be, I'm in a "in and out" relationship with my boyfriend of 7 months, and he is my first love and real relationship.

If anyone has delt with things like this similar to me, i would love to hear other situations or plans of relief for me. I don't even want to talk to a councelor i'm too isolated. Please, leave comments.
WOW! Just like so many of you - I thought I was the only one.  I would ask other women if they had experienced anything like what I am experiencing and they would always tell me no.  I had chronic panic attacks about 6 years ago, I owned a home.  Unfortunately I signed an ARM loan and after about a year of living there my payments went up about $300 dollars....and they panic attacks started immediately.  I called 911 because I didn't even realize what was happening.  I thought I was dying! Things had changed after I sold my home.  For years I was good.  I have never taken birth control pills...well not since 1995.  When I had anxiety attacks in 2005 with my house issues, my doctor wanted to put me on medicine and I refused.  I promise you I couldn't sleep thru a night without having back to back attacks. I was just to scared to take the meds because of all the side affects.  Panic attacks...internal bleeding...which is the lesser evil...really? Well I have to admit exercising helped A LOT!!  However I get dizzy/light headed right before my cycle and during my cycle.  That is the worst week.  I feel like Im pregnant....anything I go thru is multiplied by 10.  I will cry at the drop of a hat...Ill get mad over things that don't make sense...and Ill get worked up over things that shouldn't be a big deal.  I haven't talked to my doctor again because I just don't want to do drugs.  What I have found that helps besides exercise is taking vitamins on a daily basis as well as iron for me.  A lot of you ladies said the same and talking about it like we are doing now.  Its great knowing your not alone :-)
WOW. This has made me feel so relieved. I have been on Safyral for a little over a year now. I had panic attacks and mild anxiety before being on the pill, but my anxiety/depression/and paranoia increased greatly after about five or six months of being on the pill. I got distant from my boyfriend and very irritable towards him. My jealousy increased and I began to resent him. Luckily, we have a strong relationship and he is sympathetic to this problem, but in the past couple of months, my PMS has gotten extremely worse, with me becoming enraged at him for no reason. I began to think that something was really wrong with me, that my anxiety has just gotten worse as I've gotten older, but then I began to wonder if it was the b.c. Anyway, I'm wondering how early I can go off of it... does anyone know if you can stop in the middle of your pill packet, or do you have to complete the cycle?
My Dr. put me on birth control pills because for some reason (possibly related to childhood anorexia) I have low estrogen levels, and do not have a period unless I am taking birth control.  I notice a distinct difference in my relationship with my husband, and in my sanity level when I am taking birth control, and when I am not.  My husband hates birth control lol, and so do I. I have tried just about every type there is at some point in my life, and always end up stopping because it makes life simply unbearable.  I wouldn't say I'm suicidal, but I also wouldn't say I want to live.  And, I have always been a super energetic happy person (albeit with mood swings) before my birth control days.  Whenever I'm on birth control, after about the 3 week to 1 month mark I am so depressed, and just can't think of a reason to be alive, and it just gets worse with time.  I cry all the time, start fights with my husband, and just make the both of us totally miserable.  I just stopped taking my pill 3 weeks ago, after a major meltdown ( hating my job, hating my life, hating where we live.... etc etc) and now I feel amazing. I have energy to work out, and am in a great mood.  I was always super thin with visible abs, and birth control has given me this gross cellulite on my stomach that I'm trying to get rid of now.  When on birth control, I definitely gain weight.  I think I eat more because of the constant PMS symptoms when on the pill, but I also think it causes me to put on abdominal fat.  Thank you all for sharing, and I hope my story helps you too.  I don't have a solution, other than don't take the damn things!  :)
I was on birth control since I was 16, and I am now 34. I am off of it now. I have came to the conclusion that birth control caused my depression throughout my life, because now that I am off the pill, I am not depressed. And yet not ONCE in my life did a doctor/ psych/counselor EVER suggest it could be caused from the hormones. They just like to prescribe meds to make money. I don't know the damage done to my body at this point in my life from all of the anti-depressants I have taken, but I do know I wont be taking any birth control pills ever again. I use cyclebeads, a natural method I bought online, plus a application on my iphone so I know my cycle, and I have some extra stuff like the sponge and stuff. Of course for me if I get pregnant I don't mind at this point since I am married, but I will say that if you are getting depressed, get off the pill for a month before you start taking all of that other crap (meds)...I wish I did sooner..
Doctors want to make money, so they don't tell us! They just tell us to take anti-depressants and anti anxiety meds instead!!! I am glad you realized it sooner than I did. I always thought the problems were me. But it was my pill...what a shock this was...
UGHH THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE! I thought I was going crazy. I've been on Sprintec for about 5 months now and out of nowhere I started feeling depressed and have been having anxiety. Thoughts of suicide even crossed my mind. I've been trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I dropped out of school and quit my job (I thought I was overly stressed) and suddenly started questioning my boyfriends loyalty, when in reality we've been completely fine. Its been 2 weeks since I've stopped taking BC and I already feel 10 times better. I mean it really does sound crazy and I don't know if its a mind thing, but I feel like I just got my life back. There were  days when I would wake up and just sit in bed and cry knowing that I would be alone all day. It was so sickening lol. Sprintec had cleared my acne and made my breast a bit larger, but since the 2 weeks i've been off it, I broke out with pimples and my breast went back to their original size (unfortunately). I don't care though, I rather have a few pimples and smaller breast than live my  life as a bi-polar maniac.
I started back on the pill, this being time number 3, a couple months ago and I'm back to the depression again. My biggest issues are if I'm having a bad day, I'll randomly break out in hysterical crying episodes, uncontrollably. The last two times were when I was driving home from work. I'm usually a very laid back and optimistic person, but this is turning me into a bag of tears. I'm not sure what to do. I'm only on it for cycle reasons.
I had a baby 3 months ago...doc put me on Sprintec..I am 38 and feared all the negativity associated with health problems and the pill..My patience is nil and void, I feel like I am going crazy, no social life, no desire for sex, angry all the time...I know it is the pill..Talked DH into me going off of it last night after I told him it was ruining my sex drive. Thank GOD!!!! Going to use other methods from now on...probably end up pregnant again, but hope not...4 is enough!!! LOL So glad I found this run! OMG your story is mine as well...I even put my business on hold ....I don't want to do it. Need my life back!!!
I am SO happy I found this site!
Unfortunately I think it is too late for me.I alienated my boyfriend, pushing him away with my mood swings , needyness and unfounded jealousy. At least now I know I  am not going CRAZY! I have been taking birth control for a month and a half but since 3-4 weeks it has been a downward spiral, and two weeks ago I just became totally depressed  and mad all the time!Crying for no reason.I usually meditate and do yoga if I d,ont feel right and that bring me back on top but these days, it just does,nt work. It is so the opposite of me! I am a yoga teacher , I am usually positive,smiling and  listening to music but lately I have been just mad at the world! I even developed road rage !I am usually the most courteous driver!I have,nt listened to music in awhile either which is really starnge because music is part of my life! I am stopping the pill TONIGHT.Never again.I am just so sad it costed me my relashionship   :(
yes it could cause that my doc put me on birth control for the same reason my periods were so heavy that i needed a blood transfusion so she has me taking four birth control a day and is slowly decreasing the dose down to 1 but anyway ever sense ive been taking it my mood has been crazy one minute im happy the next im sad the next im mad and the reason for this she said is because the birth control has estrogen in it and i also hope im spelling that right which could really do messed up things to your mood
Hey! I'm 16 years old and I started the pill about a month and a half ago. The first half of the month went fine but, now I'm feeling a loss of happyness in my life. I have always been a very happy ,outgoing, fun person ,but now I feel like the world is coming down on me. Like I am more iritable. I tend to get mad at my boyfriend more easily now and have lost my ability to trust him. Witch I don't get bc he is the best thing that has happned to me. I have no idea what to do. I feel crazy, more emotional, and I tend to cry more and I was never a crier. I had very bad PMS before my periods could that have caused this depresion???

I am 33 and have been experiencing anxiety and panic attacks for several months now. I have always been a laid back person, so I attributed the anxiety to the stress of buying my first home. However, my mother suggested that my birth control pills may be causing my anxiety and then I realized my doctor put me on a different pill called Necon which has different hormone levels than the one I was on before. Shortly after that I started getting randomly depressed, crying for no apparent reason, and eventually it escalated into full blown panic attacks. I felt like I was losing my mind and didn't know how to control it. I tried to go to Home Depot one day, but ended up crying in the parking lot, and had to go home. Last night I decided not to take the pill and I already notice that I have less anxiety today. I called my doctor, and he said that the pill does cause mood swings, but not anxiety. Well I thought anxiey was a mood, and I am going off the pill! I really hope I go back to normal. I have never felt or acted so uncharacteristic in my life. It only makes sense that hormones can alter your personality. Good luck to everyone struggling with this!
I have had the implant for just over 2 years. I got it in grade 12 when I started dating my boyfriend. I never had any of the symptoms of menstrating before I got the implant I just got it to make sure there was that highest possibility of me NOT getting pregnant. The implant has proven to be very hard on my relationship, although I am happy that I'm not getting pregantant, that probably has most to do with the fact that I now hate having sex. My sex drive is so low that it has put an emotional strain on my relationship. I also have melt downs often, I worry about eveything and when it's reaching that time of the month I have no control over my emotions. My boyfriend and I fight and have nearly broken up on many occasions. I have become very insecure and have even followed him to work! We had a discussion last week and we have both decided that although the risks of me getting pregnant are high I will be having the implant removed this week. I am hoping that my anxiety issues, depression and server weight gain go with it. Before I got the implant I was 18 and a size 10-12 I am now 20 and am verging onto a size 16! I feel this implant has taken a piece of who I am away and I am hoping that I will find myself again soon.
hi, i have been in my relationship now for almost one year, i started the brevinor pill and within around 6- 8 weeks i began to suffer from anxiety and a sense of worrying. The worrying was in relation to the fear of going off my boyfriend and hurting him...... I was so happy in our relationship, i had finally met some1 who ticks all the boxes and suddenly these negative feelings started kicking in.

i noticed that when i took my 7 day break, this sense of panic went away, then - starting my new strip again, 3rd day in, this started again.  I stayed on this pill for 3 months then couldnt take the anxiety anymore so i stopped.

i had a break of about 3 weeks in which i was so happy again, then, a friend gave me her pill to try.....5days of this was enough, didn't want to go out of house, be social or see my boyfriend, everything was hassle.

i visited my family planning and they said they would fit an copper iud...........there is a waiting list of 6 weeks, she told me i MUST be on birth control to ensure no pregnancy in this time frame. i explained how the pill was effecting me and she advised a progestrin pill only....
again, everysymtom began again and i had to stop, i am now stopped 2 weeks and the feeling is still here - now i am distraught with panic and anxiety wondering is there something more to this......i phoned an anxiety help line and had great advice.... mean wile i am praying daily this feeling leaves me, its almost like my personality and sense of being has dissappeared...... it is effecting me in my relationship, making me wonder.......is this signs that i am no longer in that state of love and feeling for this person, it is desperately not what i want......i just want to be back to the person i was......so distressing.  This is the man I want a future with, but this feeling of panic is making me judge every area of my life.....i over compensate with my personality in work as i do not want people noticing my attacks of anxiety...when i leave work, i break down in fits of crying....so mentally and physically exhausted.  I feel ur pain chick.....go see family planning, copper coil has ZERO hormone......i will let u know how i get on x

I've never been someone to cop out and blame my emotions on my period or factors other than myself. I'm a smart 24 year old girl and I know how to control my emotions and think rationally.

In the last 2 or 3 months I've noticed myself getting significantly more jealous and have gone from little moments of crying to an overwhelming feeling of sadness that could quickly be triggered by the most simple thought. My boyfriend would never cheat on me and yet when he is away for a day to hang out with his guy friends I immediately think "Is he out cheating? Is he tired of me and wants to get away? Why didn't he invite me? Is it because he wants to appear single?" These thoughts pop into my head and won't leave. I cry for hours alternatively thinking these bad thoughts and then thinking, "Why am I not rational? He would never cheat!"

I've been on the pill for 6 months now. I think I may have had my first ever panic attack a few days ago. I was completely overcome with sadness, jealousy, and a sense of feeling like I wasn't going anywhere in life. I couldn't will myself to move from my bed. I was weak, shaking, and my appetite was gone. I switched between staring numbly into space and crying my heart out. I didn't have a real reason to feel this way, but I'd convinced myself that everything was wrong with my life. Since then, I've continued to feel sad, but I also scheduled a doctor's appointment to change my prescription. These feelings aren't who I was before. For the first time ever, I'm blaming my emotions on a pill. Still, part of me wonders if maybe I'm actually just crazy (maybe it was just a matter of time?) and the pills are a coincidence.
I;m 16 and just started the pill not even a whole month yet and it has drastically changed me. At first there was nothing wrong but the past week or so I've gone back into depression. I haven't been depressed for well over a year now and the feelings are all too familiar. I'm sleeping for 14 hours at a time, either eating too much or not eating at all. Not a day has gone by that i havent just broken down and cried. Not to mention i've been a total ***** to my boyfriend and i hate it. My doctor won't call me back and im freaking out. I feel like I'm slipping away to my old self. I never want to go back to that.
This is acctally making me starting to think! i was on the pill but then i couldnt find the right pillfor me so i stopped it, i am 16 an since april i started to have really ban anixey an i'm woundring if this could of caused it
I am on Tri-Sprintec 28 and since then i have gained like 4 pounds and my boobs won't stop growing and it hurts!! I'm 17, I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year and we're having sex. I've been on the pill for most of our relationship and we use condoms but ever since i started tri-sprintec i have this CONSTANT anxiety that I'm pregnant. We went through  phase of not using condoms and he would pull out and I was constantly taking pregnancy tests and I took plan B twice in one month just because I was scared (big waste of money) anyways, I'm constantly freaking out about this. (Keep in mind I am also a hypochondriac) But even before I started taking the pill and we would just use condoms and nothing else I would NEVER worry about pregnancy. I went on loestrin and felt even better about it, I then switched to tri sprintec 28 for cramps and all of a sudden I start worrying about this! I hate it! I'm constantly having panic attack and I'm crying all the time. HELP!!!
Hello everyone,

I went off the pill three months ago because I had really bad anxiety, worrying all the time and feeling really depressed. I was hoping I would feel better by now but still don't and I am very sure that this isn't just me doing it. I have felt depressed and sad at other moments in my life, but right now its a feeling that I am stuck in. I know it still has to be pill related as I can't even seem to find an outlet. I almost got demoted at work, its affecting my relationship and I stopped wanting to see my friends. I feel like I am in a nightmare and that it's never going to end. I feel really alone in this as my family is trying to understand but don't know how to help me and I don't have any friends that have gone through something similar. Can I have other people people's support that took them a few months or longer to get over this and suggestions on what they did to cope and/or get better? Please email me lil_pusic18***@****
Tristesse321, I am in the exact same boat as you.  3 Months in and all the symptoms you had are what I have experienced and getting worse by the week.  Have you stopped taking the pills and/or found a better alternative?
HannahEB, I can relate.  Have you stopped taking the pills and/or found a better alternative?
I've been on birth control for almost a year now. First I start of LoEstrin but switched to Necon because I had anxiety and depression(which I had a history of even before I started taking birth control). I recently switched to Kariva because of nausea and headaches. I'm on the placebo pill right now and for the past couple days I've been super depressed and I have major anxiety. This isn't my first rodeo with depression but the previous birth control pills I was on didn't make my depression near as bad. My anxiety and depression is so bad that I thought my boyfriend of 2 years was hinting that he wanted to break up when he said he was too busy packing to come over tonight??? I know, crazy. And that's just one example. And I've been on Lexapro for almost 4 years now so it's definitely the pill that is making me bonkers. Has anyone else felt like they were losing their mind?? I don't know if it's because of the pill, or if it's because I'm a week away from going off to college. I'll probably get off the pill because I can't take this anymore
You're post helped me a bunch! I've been thinking the exact same irrational thoughts about my boyfriend as you ever since I started taking a new birth control. Thanks for this post!
Hi Guys,
Ive been on and off Yaz for years because of my endometriosis condition...Currently, ive been on Yaz for two months straight and it is messing with me so badly!! I get anxious at the smallest things, and the anxiety lasts for a whole few days. I am constantly depressed and have pushed all my friends away. I get really clingy around my boyfriend, and when im not with him I constantly have obsessive thoughts about whether we're going to be together in the future, whether we are truly meant for eachother etc etc. My boyfriend and I usually talk about everything but I havent told him about my anxiety towards him which makes me more upset. Its seriously taking over my life! Im gonna go back to my gyno and talk about other options, cos seriously the pill is the worst thing that has happened to me. Has anyone done other options like the mirena???
I have recently started on birth control after being off of it for 2 years.  I have had dramatic mood swings, and have had unwarented anxiety attacks.  There is nothing going wrong in my life, and yet I feel helpless--out of control--and depressed.  This is sucha good thing to be able to read all of these comments, and know that I'm not alone.  I've stopped taking it, and am looking forward to fewer anxiety attacks (which I am not prone to).  I am wondering what to do for an alternative.  My husband recommended I stop.  I'm still in the middle of these weird feelings, and hope they subside soon.  
Hi everyone. I am 18 years old and about 2 weeks ago my gyn started me on Tri-Nessa. For the first week of taking the pill, I was fine except I was a little more nauseous than usual and I was lightheaded. Up until about 2 days ago I ignored it. I didn't really think anything of it and blamed it on getting over a recent virus. 2 days ago everything changed for me in a hormonal sense. I woke up feeling miserable and just down right sad, depressed and incredibly anxious. I tried to tell my grandmother (whom I live with and have for the majority of my life) about what I am feeling and that I think I am going to stop taking BC. The whole reason that I started taking the birth control in the first place was because I am in a very serious relationship with my boyfriend and  I can't afford to become pregnant right now. Before I started taking Tri-Nessa, I was happy and could handle my depression and anxiety with Prozac. Now, I can't stand to be home by myself, I keep having  negative thoughts about me and my boyfriend's relationship even when I know I wouldn't normally, I burst out in tears at random and my anxiety is so bad that I am having major bowl problems. I feel absolutely nuts and up until finding this website, I thought I was just spontaneously going insane. I have always had problems with depression and anxiety and I DO indeed have a psychiatrist and therapist but up until a few days ago, it  was manageable like I have said before. I stopped taking the medication today and all day I have still felt the same, but I am putting that to the BC not being out of my system just yet. I am still hoping that because I haven't taken the medicine long that It won't take long to feel like myself again. I found this site very reassuring because up until about an hour ago I felt as if I was the only one feeling this way. I am scared to tell my grandmother that I am not taking the BC anymore because I know she hardly listens to me to begin with. I guess I should just keep this to myself and not tell my grandmother to avoid any drama.

My boyfriend has been very supportive and loving about the whole thing. He too encourages me to not take the medication along with my best friend. Before taking BC I never thought that medication could possibly make me this upset and off. But at least I have support. Hopefully in a couple of days I will be more like myself again.

Best of wishes to you all and I hope that you all find the answers you are searching for.
I'm 17 and I've suffered from severe panic attacks throughy middle school years. I took medicine and medical help and eventually felt great. I found out I had critically low vitamin d and so I starting vitamin d supplants. In addition I'm taking birth control to regulate my periods. Since on the pill I've had non stop uneasiness and panic attacks. I thought it was my pill! I've only been taking it for a month but I can't stand  it.
I have to say I was on the pill for 6 years from 16 years old and was always slightly emotional and irrational in my behaviour. I came off it as i was starting to feel depressed and down, lone behold within a week I felt like a different person!

Having been on the pill from such a young age I just thought these traits were part of my personality and didnt know any different. However I have been so much happier and "normal" since coming off the pill completely 10 months ago and wouldnt dream of going back on it due to the way it makes me feel and act, like a crazy woman!!
So glad I have found this forum.

I have been taking Yasmin for 8 month and since the beginning I have started experiencing mood swings. Until 4 months ago I didn t make the connection between my moods and the pill. However, 4 months ago thigs started to become really crazy. I started having panic attack for no reason, pushing my boyfriend away and for one month I have been having suicidal yhoughts although I have never thought about this before being on BCP. I was a perfectly normal woman, happy with my life. Because of this pill I thought I was crazy as I ocasionally behaved like crazy people do, with nervous brake downs and crisis.

I have been off the pill 2 weeks now and I am hoping these moods and panic and anxiety attack will dissapear and I can go back to my life the way it was.
It's amazing to not feel alone! I was on Zoloft for fifteen years. Yes, fifteen! My doctor never thought that maybe once I was out of my teen years that perhaps my hormones were okay and I should try going off. Anyway, that's a side bar... While on Zoloft I went on Loestrin 24. I had no problems. It protected me, i had regular cycles, yadda yadda. I went off the Zoloft when I decided there was no reason to be on it. Lo and behold, I had no depression after I got off either. Who knows how long I didn't need it. Anyway, I then went off the Loestrin after breaking up with my boyfriend. I figured I'd give my body a real break, and my pockets! I was fine. Happy, healthy, and loving life.
I recently went back on the Loestrin 24. I wanted to regulate my periods. It worked before, so why not. I turned into a monster. At first I thought I was just stressed. I was anxious and just not myself. I was paranoid about stupid stuff. What were people thinking of me? Could they see my nervousness? It was horrible. Then it got worse. I had racing obsessive thoughts, I started to say things that were just stupid, embarrassing and insane. I then got super depressed. I cried for no reason, had no motivation, was super tired but couldn't sleep at all. And the thoughts wouldn't stop. Everyone around me seemed strange, and I knew it was me. I was NOT myself. I didn't know who I was!
I went to a doctor who threw antidepressants at me. I thought I had depression again like when I was a teen. I took them for three days and hated it, the side effects were horrible. So i went off. Then I thought, wait, what is new? The pill. So I researched and found that the hormones can cause this! Relief! I went off the pill and two days later I began to feel better.
And now, no more depression, no more crazy thoughts, I'm me!
Not sure what I'll do when in a relationship and condoms are getting old, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now I'm just super happy to be back. Doctors need to start really taking this seriously. Mine told me that yeah it can cause depression but it's rare and there has to be underlying depression to start. Let me tell you I have not an ounce of depression so they're wrong. So glad to hear similar stories. We are not crazy. Clearly your body being pumped with hormones that effect the brain can cause this stuff to happen. Not rocket science.
This is exactly what has happened to me as well --- but my question is, how much are we supposed to put up with before changes are made in the pharmaceutical world, and we can go on birth control for lighter periods, and NOT have to worry about falling deep into depression?? I've been in such a dark place for so long, and while I thought it might be due to the fact that I live in a crappy part of Harlem, NYC and have had some dark experiences in the past as a kid, never has the anxiety, pain, and sadness taken over like this before.
Are there ANY birth control pills that do NOT cause these horrible side effects? I don't think we are asking for too much here!!
I'm in the same position, I'm 17 and I've been on the combined pill for nearly 4 months, 4th month being on a different brand and it's driving me insane! My doctor dianogsed me with Depression and Anxiety last month and hasb't mentioned anything about my pill, but ever since starting the pill I've been feeling really low! I cry almost every night, I really myself sick over silly things, I want my old life back! But condoms alone aren't for me and my partner so anyone suggest a different type of contraception other than the pill? I can handle headaches, tender breasts etc. but not depression! Please help, nurses and doctors just don't understand! Thanks
hi there. i really do feel that more research o  birth controll and moods definately needs to be done. i had been on birth control for 12 years andxat the time didnt associate my low moods with the pill just thought it was my lot in life and found ways to cope and learn how to manage it.  it wasnt until i had my second daughter and after just 7 days of being on the mini pill i had severe anxiety the shakes really edgy and extreme mood swings. i went straight off it. it took a good 2 months to completly get out of my system and now 3 months later i am back to my normal happy self with the usual couple of days of being tiered etc near my period. i have two girls and i will be definately steering them away from birth control. i am now practicing a natural method and couldnt be happier.
Don't worry; you aren't crazy.  The same thing happened to me on the pill; I went from a happy, motivated person to a suicidal, sobbing, fatigued and anxious wreck within days.  Some friends told me to stay on it longer to see if my body would adjust but I wasn't willing to risk my life for it; I'd recommend going off it or try another pill.  Since you're young, you may not have problems with some other brands.  In my 20's I had no side effects from the pill at all and now that I'm 39, all of the pills make me severely anxious and depressed and bloated and sick--I'm not using them for birth control; I'm using them for horrible cramps and PMS and migraines but I just have to deal with those things because what's the point of preventing them if I don't want to live while I'm on them.  I've tried numerous ones and have had depression with all of them, but Ortho Novum was the absolute worst of all.  Good luck!
It's great to read these posts and know I'm not alone. I have been using the oral contraceptive pill (ethinyl estradol and levonogestrel) for period pain for over 7 years.  The last year or so I have had headaches every day, my period pain has been getting worse, I've had sharp pain where my ovary is, joint pain, increased tiredness. There has not been much increased stress in my life, in fact, things have been going well for me. I had been feeling anxious and emotional a day after taking my first non-active tablet (right before my period). The last three months of using the pill I skipped the non-active tablets so I wouldn't get my period. I took my first non-active pill for the first time in the last months. The day after taking the first non-active pill I got extremely emotional (for no particular reason) and had a panic attack.  The next day was the same. I got my period and I was fine the next three or so days - I felt very energetic and excited about life. The next day I started having panic attacks which wouldn't stop. Went to Emergency twice! Test results came back normal. I should also mention that I coughed up fresh blood (after a light cough) one week before all of this. The heart palpitations and nausea, and feelings of anxiousness and doom did not stop for about a month. The doctor prescribed me Lexapro and a benzo to make me relaxed. The lexapro made me feel worse for a few weeks and then seemed to work but then stopped. I had a gut feeling that my anxiousness had something to do with the pill. I stopped taking the pill just over 3 weeks ago. I am taking B vitamins, zinc, magnesium and folate. I am feeling better but still not ready to be back at work. My GP wants me to continue with the Lexapro for 12 months however I don't want to be taking it - she's extremely sceptical that the oral contraceptive pill is related to my hormones.

I heard it takes about 2 to 3 months for the body to produce it's own hormones and function regularly. I hope I will be back to my old self (or even better) soon! I am normally very confident and upset that all of this has happened to me.

I should also mention that after stopping the oral contraceptive pill my period was very late, irregular and short, and my moods since have included depressed feelings, anxiety. I feel as if everyday I have been feeling a bit better – I am hoping this is because of my hormones and not the lexapro.
I'm wondering if its the pill ortho tri cyclin causing anxiety because I was just switched to it approximately a month and a half ago and I've had such bad anxiety! Everything in my life and routine has stayed the same so nothing drastic happened that would have induced my anxiety. the only difference is the switching of my birth control. I have never had anxiety problems in my life so when it first started it really really scared me but since ive been coping with it for almost two months its been manageable. When i get anxiety gets my thoughts racie and I think I'm crazy then think the worst, but I know that I'm not crazy and I will be just fine.. After reading this, I'm really thinking about stopping ortho tri cyclin to see if that helps and it stops my anxiety symptoms. Maybe you should too?
Hi, yeah I'm on yasmin I have always been a bit insecure and felt jealous which is a problem I need to battle myself, but since going on birth control my hormones have gone through the roof! I have been crying to the point of not breathing, trying to jump out of my bedroom window, thinking about my partners past so much that it was making me feel like I couldn't be with him because I felt rubbish compared! Not that I am. Its just awful and very worrying. I'm to scared to try other BC pills just in case I have to go through that whole experienc again,!
I am so relived that I found this forum. I haven't never felt so completely out of control my entire life. I started taking Loestrin 24 almost a year ago. It wasn't until about two months in that I began to feel extremely agitated, depressed, weepy, fatigued, and anxious. In additiona to emotional changes, I experienced weight loss, skin changes where no matter how much I drank my skin never felt hydrated. I have had mild PMS symptoms in the past, but this is unreal. It is not only affecting my personal life but it is now causing problems with my termpermant level at work. I can't focus, and I feel very insecure. I am going off the pills this month and plan on introducing Femcreme into my healthcare to try and promote progesterone and energy/good feelings again. I want my life back!
I am so glad I came upon this.  I have been taking ultra low dose BCP(sronyx - levonorgetreal and ethyinyl estrodiol) to treat perimenopause period and the doctor told me that it will relegate my hormones and I will also make me less anxious.  Mild anxiety started with hot flashes for me.  Week 1, I was ok with mild headaches.  Week 2, I no longer had anxiety but started getting really depressed/sad/with no appetite.  Week 3, I was crying at a drop of a hat and I was so fatigued.  I called the doctor to ask about my thyroid test and he said they were normal and all my test were normal and couldn't explain my fatigue. I was so depressed - vicious cycle - depressed/not eating/feeling weak and weepy.  My husband thought I was on a full blown depression and insisted that I take anti-depressant.  I decided since we didn't have to worry about getting pregnant, I would test it by not taking my last "active" pill.  The very next day, the fatigue feeling went away.  I am still dealing with depression/sadness but taking Vitamin B and other natural supplements to cleanse my body of this hormone (on my 2nd day).  I was able to take a walk for the 1st time in over a week.  I will never go on BCP again.  The depression was crushing.  I will look into BIO-Identical hormones for any missing hormones in me.  Girls, remember 1 size does not fit us all.  We have different makeup.  My heart goes out to you girls.  I am so glad I found this site.  It made me feel not so crazy.  Everyone was putting my depression to perimenopause but I know what I was feeling before I started BCP and what changed with BCP.  Like us all, I excused it away that I need to let my body adjust, yadi yadi yadi but it was just not worth my quality of life.  Good luck to you all.
I have been taking birth control pills since August 2011 when I found out I had ovarian cysts. I took Lo-estrin until July 2012 when I went to the doctor and told her that my periods had stopped a few months after I started taking the pill. I did not know this was something to be alarmed about or I would have told her sooner. I started taking Tri-sprintec in august 2012, and since then I have had HORRIBLE depression, feeling hopeless, bad mood swings, crying at the drop of a hat. It is affecting things with my boyfriend, who I had been happily dating for two years. I started to get more jealous, feeling insecure like he would break up with me. Now I realize this is probably from my birth control pill. I will definitely miss the pregnancy protection but I think my mental health means more.
I was on the pill (ortho tri cyclen lo) since I was 17. I went off last year at the age of 27. I started up again the past week.... And I had no idea I was a completely different person on it! It occurred to me this morning when my beautiful, sweet, incredible partner Erik wanted to hug me this morning to comfort me as Ive been feeling crazy this past week - and I GOT ANGRY and snapped at him! It was that second I knew how wrong these pills are. I've never questioned myself or my partnership with him until I started taking the pill again a week ago. Since then I've been depressed, insecure, bitchy, moody, clingy, angry and sad at the same time, impatient...I've also had strong feelings of worthlessness, weakness (like feeling like a frail, dependent pet), and call me crazy but I swear my voice has even gotten higher. Physically I've been exhausted, had tightness of chest, and a constant dull headache. I've realized the problems I've caused in the past with other relationships was a result of this pill. And just for information's sake.... I'm a very fit, active, non-smoking 28 year old woman.

Im choosing to come off this pill not just because of what it's doing to me - but more so because of the long term affect it will have on my partnership with Erik. I can't bear to have him have to deal with those side affects. I want him to have the real, fun, confident, chillaxed me - not pycho-Otho-tri-cyclen woman. Pretty sure these are EVIL and ruined 10 years of my life.

/end rant.
Hi guys, so glad I found this page. Same here... I thought I was getting mental...
been always healthy but since Im on the pills Ive had many anxiety attacks etc.

My GP suggestion is go on the mini pill?
Does anyone have any experience with it? What Ive been through in the last year I wouldnt wish for my worst enemy. I want to be happy and normal again. I hate my thoughts my the way I act sometimes. I feel already a lot better since I know it was the pill but I dont want to get the same with the mini pill!

Is the mini pill any better? would you recommend it?

Many thanks for your help, such a relief to find this site!

Are you on herbs? How do you not get pregnant? I hate birth control, but haven't found a homeopathic doctor to help me out.
thanks
- a
I think I had the opposite reaction.    I had been on the pill since 2009 after I had my child.  I went off the pill in Aug. 2012 and 2 mths later I am literally a wreck.  I am no doctor, but I seem to think that by going off the pill and allowing the hormones that was in it to get out of my system sent me into a downward spiral.  I have been having severe anxiety/panic attacks and my dr. started me on medication to try and help.  I have decided to take the meds and to start back on to my birth control pill.  I am hoping this will work. Has anyone else ever went off of the pill and had this reaction?
It relaxes me to know that someone else somewhere in the world is going through a situation similar to mine. I have been on the pill for almost 4 months now and within the last 2 months I have noticed a dramatic change in how I think, feel and act. I feel completely alone and empty even though I have a family and boyfriend who love and care for me. I just don't understand how even though my life could be going so well, I could feel so sad. Tonight was probably the worst it's been. Uncontrollable tears rush down my face for hours for absolutely NO reason. This constant sadness has more recently begin to turn into harmful thoughts that consume my mind. I am very confused as to where this is all coming from. It puzzles me how even though there are so many positive moments in my life that I could focus on, why instead I choose to focus solely on the bad which alters my mood completely. I don't know if this is a result of my birth control that I am taking or whether there perhaps is something mentally wrong with me. Anyways, just wanted you to know you're not alone and that you're story helped me! Thank-you!
I HAVE RECOVERED! And I want to share my story because I went searching for answers all over the internet when these problems were happening to me, and not many people had comments about being better. I'm sure many of them just moved on with their lives as I almost did. But I came back to these forums to post so that whoever is hurting might know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep hope alive. I did not have much hope at that time, but now I am absolutely fine :)

It all began when I went on birth control as suggested by my gyno because my periods were not happening every month like clockwork and this concerned her. But after awhile, I started getting bad headaches, so I quit them cold turkey after 3 months. Well, I was fine for awhile until a few weeks passed. Then my world changed forever.

One day I randomly started feeling extreme anxiety, a problem I have never experienced in my life. I could not eat or sleep no matter how long it had been since I had eaten and no matter how tired I knew I was. My body went haywire and it scared me to death. I was terrified, questioned my faith and my salvation, and did not want to be alone in case I died (irrational thoughts).

I went to a psychologist, tried herbs, everything... My regular doctor and gyno wanted me to either get on a drug for anxiety/depression, or get back on birth control. But my mom reasoned that I was fine before birth control and learned from researching online that birth control was probably the cause of these problems in the first place. We decided to stay away from more drugs and wait it out.

My episode of terror lasted a week the first time and I lost 13 pounds. I did not want to do anything, even get in the shower or change. I felt frozen in place, paralyzed by fear, but was still miserable sitting still. I seriously felt like I was going crazy. My heart seemed heavy and sometimes a muscle in my neck hurt too. Any little symptom scared me because I was in an irrational state. I thought I might just drop dead or pass out. Well, instead I dropped out of my last semester of college and moved home.

I thought maybe I was out of the woods when my week-long episode ended, but exactly a month after the first week-long episode, I had another one, this time at home. I was also having some sort of light bleeding every 2 weeks, which was abnormal for me. The feelings of anxiety and fear returned and I went another week without eating or sleeping much at all. Now I really began to worry that I was ruined for life. The world looked so scary and I did not want to live because I was scared of what I would have to deal with - I felt incapable of handling it. I did not want to die either because I was scared of that too. I hated birth control and was mad that I could not talk myself out of these crazy/racing thoughts going on in my mind. I prayed and prayed and felt sort of abandoned to be honest. Why couldn't I feel like my old self? Would this condition last for years? And why couldn't I handle this better?

I was really tempted to go on Paxil or birth control that time, but decided I would wait it out one more time. It felt like hell during these episodes but as long as I ate when I could, laid down at night, and just kept breathing in and out nothing serious was really happening even though I believed it was. I did dry heave a couple times but that was from panicky thoughts and was the least of my worries. Anyway, I was still having weird bleeding every couple of weeks and my acne was really bad, so I knew it was indeed hormone related and most likely the birth control that started all this.

SUMMARY: I quit birth control July 16, 2012 and had the 2 week-long episodes of extreme anxiety/depression. However after that I only had a couple more episodes! This time 3 days long and not as severe. November 10, 2012 was the last time I felt that abnormal/irrational anxiety feeling. Today it is January 7, 2013 and I feel completely fine. The weird, light bleeding is no longer 2 weeks apart. Instead I have relatively normal periods like I used to be before all this happened that are a month or more apart.

I feel like the same person I was before experiencing this except I have some questions about my faith. It humbled me for sure. But I am searching for answers, and I know God is faithful. This terrible ordeal will only make me stronger in the future. I believe it is getting better and better with time and that all this was caused by synthetic hormones which caused an imbalance in my body. This seriously altered the messages my brain was receiving. Hormones are more important than I knew before.

I suggest not going on drugs unless you have to and to wait it out. Doctors can help, sure, but also be your own advocate. Search online and consult the ones who care about you the most. If you do not have a history of anything like this, it is probably not really your mind but your body that is sick. But I am not a health professional. Just don't be too hard on yourself like I was. You are not the only one who has gone through this. Surround yourself with patient people who love you during your anxiety or other symptomatic episodes and if you don't have those people, pray to God and just breathe. Time will go a long way to heal you because it did for me. Hang in there and eat when you can, sleep when you can. Don't worry about the rest.

I am so sorry if any of you are going through this. I hope it ends soon. But if you are, know that it is most likely temporary. Don't try to fight it and question everything about your universe - just keep breathing. A better day is ahead.
Thank God for this site.
I started taking Jovilette, which is a progesterone only birth control back in September 2012. The first two months of taking the pill were completely fine. I had no signs of anxiety or depression. One night, I was trying to fall asleep, I had really strange thoughts and ended up having a panic attack. I would have multiple panic attacks like that one numerous times throughout November and into December.
I went to the doctor thinking there was something terribly wrong with me. She prescribed me an antidepressant and anti anxiety medication to help ease the anxiety. I ended up flushing the antidepressant down the toilet due to how horrible it had made me feel. I started seeing a therapist and the anxiety subsided after that, but then the anxiety turned into depression.
I felt hopeless, sad, would cry over nothing, couldn't sleep or eat, loss of sex drive. Typical depression symptoms. I thought it was just me, but then I realized that all of this started after taking my birth control. I have never had panic attacks or depression ever before this. I have a wonderful life, a supportive family, loving boyfriend, good group of friends, I get good grades, involved in a sorority etc.. I shouldn't be depressed.
I believe taking this birth control has greatly contributed to my symptoms. Monday January 7 2013 was the last time I took my birth control, I am praying to God that I find some relief soon. I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one who has felt this way.
Wow! I am hoping this is my issue! I have been on Loestrin 24 -FE for the last 3 + years. But for the last 6 months, i have been getting worse and worse anxiety, panic attacks!! I always worried and had mild OCD, but nothing to this extent..it was always very tolerable. Today I literally felt like i was going crazy and called for an psych appointment! I have been thinking about going off the pill for the last 6 months for other issues..melasma(skin discoloration), hair fall...etc. So i googled BC and anxiety and tons of sites came up! I think i know my answer now! I am definitely get off this pill asap!!! I really hope this all goes away =T
Exact same as ye ladies....went from calm, cool as a breeze girl to a moody, insecure, jealous one..dont like the person I am not at all...its soo not like me. Im on ovranette which is supposed to be low dosage blah blah......am going to have to come off it mid pack as its actually driving me bananas ..i wont have a boyf much longer if I keep acting the way I am. Has anyone found anything that doesn’t drive them daft?
It is totally birth control pill as its done exactly same thing to me...crying while watching the tv regardless what the programme is about, anxious, jealous..ive all these now thanks to pill..im coming off it today as cant be dealing with the way i feel ....im sure as soon as its left my system ill be back to my old self..:D
Test
Sorry about the last post--just wanted to make sure this thing worked before I typed.

My main concern (and the reason why I'm posting today) is because I am new to birth control, and would like some insight into my situation.

I was prescribed Ortho Novum 7/7/7 4 months ago, and had been taking it up until today. When I first started I experienced nausea, but that went away after a few weeks. I then just kind of always felt depressed/anxious. I'm not 100% attributing it to the birth control, but I wonder if the BC is making this worse.

My life otherwise:
- I have a job that has severe instability. It's a good job; just very unstable. Job threats are constant.
- Been in college for 6 years, feeling very burned out. Really ready to just move on (I'm graduating May 2013)
- I haven't had the best luck with the job search. 96 applications out and only 1 call for an interview. I feel as though this aspect is probably the most stressful next to my current job situation
- I was recently in a car accident that had me lose control of my car on an interstate going 60 mph. I avoid interstates now.

I went to my doctor to see about switching birth controls, as I've been feeling very anxious/sad/not myself lately. She switched me to Low-Ogestrel. I'm taking my first pill tonight. From what I've read on-line, this is a lower hormone pill.

I was told from my doctor that if I'm still experiencing these symptoms that it's not the pill (that upset me).  I was just wondering if anyone could give me insight into my situation. I would hate to think it's me, but I realize that I do have a lot on my plate right now. I also see all these stories on how different pills do different things to people, and this makes me a little nervous.

Thanks!
I've had mild anxiety and depression since I was 13 or 14, and I've been on the pill for about 8 months. I take ortho cyclen, and I have felt so much more depressed and anxious lately. I think about suicide often and am irritable towards almost everyone and everything. I didn't realize what it was until I talked to a friend about it. I also think about using drugs frequently which I never had a problem with. I feel comforted however now that I might have a reason. I'll give it a little longer and see how I feel.
i am so happy i have read some of your stories as i have been taking yaz for a few months now and everything has been fine so far until i went away on holidays for the first two weeks i was fine i was my usual self loving life having fun with my friends and not worrying about anything having a loving boyfriend and sleeping with ease, but all of a sudden in the end week or so before new years i had started feeling really depressed i would put bad thoughts into my head that i would feel like would send me loopy! i cried and cried for no reason at all and i am never like this i was a different person and even being wih my boyfriend i wasnt as happy as i usually am i just constantly felt sick like i couldnt eat or else i would be sick ! At first i didnt think it was anything i just thought i was abit upset (even though i had nothing to be sad about) i started to throw up after everymeal as i thought and was told by family that it was probably a bad stomach bug but no stomach bug iv ever had has made me want to throw up after every meal and make me feel short of breath and like i couldnt breathe properly when i have tried to sleep. my whole family who i was on holidays with began to worry saying i was home sick or i could be pregnant so just to be sure i took a pregnancy test which came to be negative after that i was sure it was home sickness although even the day before i was leaving and the trip home i still felt sad and like i could cry even though i was seeing my boyfriend that night i still had a ping in my chest of depression and i couldnt explain it. even after i had arrived home i had still felt depressed and i put thoughts into my head that would worry me and make me feel scared like people were going to leave me and something was going to happen to me when noone was around i had to try and control my anxiety but it has gotten worse as i still feel depressed and continuously burst into tears for no reason what so ever i have no reason at all to be upset with my life everything is going smoothly with a great family friends and a loving boyfriend who has been good to put up with me through this whole mess it makes me feel better reading these comments knowing i am not the only one who feels like this and i hate that the pill (yaz which is the one i have been taking) that makes me feel like this and even when you stop like i have recently stopped you still feel like it could just be you going crazy but its not !! its this stupid pill messing with me because i am never like this and i want to feel happy and enjoy things like i used to as after this whole depression anxiety and constant crying and not being able to enjoy things that would usually make me feel happy i am finally giving up the stupid pill i would rather use condoms and risk getting pregnant then feeling like an absolute nutcase and feel like im going insane as i legit thought for sometime when it started that i had a physiological problem ! but after reading this i know i havent as others feel the same and i hope other girls read my comment if they have the same symptoms and realize there not alone :)
I was so very glad to find this topic, because I'd honestly considered being bipolar or something with these side effects of birth control. I cry for the smallest reasons, like one time I was cleaning my apartment and I saw this sweet card my dad had given me and I cried at the thought of how much I loved my parents. Also, I cry at the thought of even being alone for a few hours, the silence kills me. I can become really upset if for a moment my boyfriend doesn't want to cuddle or hug me (just because he's tired), so I also have the extra clingy/jealous feelings. Apart from that I feel more paranoid than usual (I always think people are talking about me or something, but now complete theories go behind it like they are out to ruin my future or whatever..), I'm tired all the time, even when I sleep for 10 hours, and I have back pains and headaches a lot, and I'm very stressed. I do work two jobs and follow a kind of education once a week and auditions for the Conservatory, which I want to attend next year, are coming up so the stress is 'normal' but I'm not usually this bad. And sometimes I have these moments where I feel extra energized, and I talk a lot and fast and laugh about everything and I consciously think that I'm going crazy during those moments, and I get really annoyed with myself (or with others).

Yesterday I went to the doctor's to talk about stopping to take birth control. I started in september or so, with YAZ, had that for four months and then made a switch to [something with a long chemical name, haha]. It didn't help so now I'm gonna go back to using condoms and maybe when the stressful periods are over (and summer comes! That might help) I'll try pills again. BUT I was wondering: I now am in my last 'stop week' (the week that I'm getting my period) and haven't swallowed a pill in about three days. Still, today I got emotional and sad again... Could this still be because of the last pill I had three days ago, or is it something else? Because then I might have to see a shrink anyway, haha.
I would be very grateful if somebody could take the time to answer if they know anything... I really don't want to have a disorder but it would make things easier, given that I would know the cause of all this and I could just take meds for it.

Thanks! X.
I also have the same issue. I once was on the depo shot for about 6 years. When i stopped i didn't have a period for years after, eventually got it back and normal after awhile after that.
Ways, on the issue of emotions,,i have no emotiona; issues on the depo shot and have been going without any BC method for years.
Recently i had to get something and they put me on the pill.
I've never been on a pill before but i've been on it for only 7 days and i have been a completely nut case.
I think i'm going to stop taking it and go back to the shot cause honestly i've been very sad, feel depressed, nothing makes me happy and i cry which i never do!!!
Typically i am a very happy person, full of life and energy,,,,,so this is killing me! Thank you for your post cause it make me see that i 'm not going crazy and there are other people who have been effected this way by this crazy pill,,,,once again Thank you!!!   Carolyn
I just started the pill a week ago and it has made me nutts!!
So i'm ditching it and getting back on the depo shot cause it never gave me any crazy emotions. I was on that for 6 years and the only effect i had in return was it took me a few years to get my period normal again.
I never want to do any pill,,,ever again! I feel sad depression, tired, and just flat out unhappy! No,,,i don't think your crazy,,cause i feel the same way and i'm done!
My girlfriend and I have been going out for almost a year now, and she's been on the pill for about the same time. She's told me she's had a history with abuse, so we've had a few rough patches in our sex life. But we work almost everything out together, and I've helped her to trust me. But a couple months ago, she kinda snapped at me and said she found it hard to trust me, it was over a something so small that was hardly worth getting upset about, but i said I was sorry and we moved on. Well, now its been every week that I'm doing something wrong (to her/ over small things), and she pushes me further and further away. She's having trouble with suicidal thoughts and severe panic attacks, all which I'm present for and try to help her with. Its gotten to the point were our sex life has come to a halt, and now our relationship its getting rocky (not because the lack of sex, but because of me being blamed for everything). I've been doing research on the pill lately, and I'm VERY curious to see if my girlfriend's anxiety/ depression/irrational outbursts could be related. But the thing is... I dont know.... and I dont know how to tell her that maybe she shouldn't take the pill for a while to see if she would feel better. But I dont know. I dont know how to tell her without giving her another reason to push me further away. I love her very much, and she means a great deal to me. Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.
Ive got a slightly different story than the others on here..
I started birth control to help with emotional PMS symptoms back in July 2010   (I was only 16 at the time) at the referral of my councilor. It definitely took the edge off and i was very happy with the results, however about 2 years from that time i had neglected to update my prescription, so i thought that i might try going on without it, that was a horrible idea.
I felt foggy, cranky and completely empty, i am usually a very excitable person but i could barely bring myself to smile, i felt absolutely drained all the time, and even ended my perfectly healthy relationship, thinking that it was the source of my emptiness
So 2 months later i began birth control, and all went well thereafter.
Here is where it gets worse though. Once again being irresponsible i had lost my last pack of birth control pills, not finding them in time to start, i went to my pharmacist to get the next three packs, and they refused . So a month went by without and i felt pretty good until i got to my first period. I hit such a low, i got suicidal thoughts, lost so much of my sex drive that i questioned my own sexuality, i was cranky, unsociable i got anxious talking to anyone, it was hell. after that week i ended up finding my lost pack and started immediately hoping that it would make it stop. and it worked pretty well, but my next period it has happened again, I am up all night with no peace of mind, i cant speak to anyone and i just feel dead inside, I've gone back to questioning who i am and my sexuality one minute and feeling fine the next, which bothers me the most because that isn't me what to ever and never has been. I feel haunted over everything, i feel alone and on the verge of a breakdown, I'm starting again this month but i don't know whether in the end I should just try getting off of them all together. I am going to see shrink and my doctor about this asap, because this is the most miserable i have ever been.
I started a new birth control a month ago, Tri-Sprintec. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo but had to switch for insurance reasons. This past month has been TORTURE. I have always had anxiety, but NOTHING like this!! I have become a crazy crazy girlfriend, jealous about everything, completely irrational, moody, crying every single day thinking my bf doesn't love me, almost paralyzed with fear that he will leave me etc. I know it's effecting our relationship, I mean how can anyone put up with that?? We have been together for 4 years this January and I can honestly say I have never ever been like this, its all been fine and dandy. It's like I KNOW I am being irrational and crazy but I seriously cannot help it. My boyfriend is always like, "everything is fine, why are you making something out of absolutely nothing?" I have racing thoughts, rapid heartbeat, depression. Its hard for me to even make it through a day of work without wanting to just leave and cry. When we go out on the weekends...I am that drunk crying girl. AH!! I never used to cry when I would drink.Anyways....SO happy reading through all these posts about girls with similar issues! I didn't even think it would be the birth control...definitely going to go to the doctor and try to figure this out cause its unbearable :( What birth controls have worked for everyone? I know it's different for each individual but thought I'd ask!
honestly, I am so glad I read this. I've only been back on the pill for two weeks and I feel so depressed and can't control my eating. I just want to eat all the time and cry. I thought maybe I was just stressed out or just going through a rough patch, but normally I am a really optimistic and happy person. I am taking the pill mostly for acne, but it's not worth it. I would rather be my normal happy self and deal with my acne in another way. I think sometimes doctors and people rush to medication, because it can be a simple fix. But now that I know what it is doing to my body, I think I will tough it out. I have read that 30 minutes of exercise a day can help with acne, also eating healthy natural foods. Running is also a good way to help with cramps, although usually that is the last thing I want to do on a day when I am cramping.
Just a word of advice for everyone who has depression while taking the pill.  Years ago, when I first got married, I went on the pill and had depression as well.  Surprisingly, my doctor told me to take 100 mg. of Vitamin B6 twice a day.  It cured the depression almost immediately.  I say "surprisingly," because doctors usually don't say anything about vitamins.  I do recommend that you take a multivitamin along with the Vitamin B6 - so you get a balance of your other B vitamins as well.  But be careful about taking too much Niacin (B3).  That can cause anxiety if you take too much.  I only ended up being on the pill for a little over a year, but I have kept taking the vitamin B6.  I can really tell when I stop taking it.  Vitamin B6 is also good for postpartum depression and it is safe even if you are nursing.
I ruined a very good relationship going on th pill lost my sex drive n couldn't stand being touched. My bf would compliment me & I would go nuts cause in my head he wanted sex. Wouldn't recommend the pill I now have a copper coil (no hormones) & feel myself again :)
So I'm pretty happy I have found this maybe as I read through I'll find someone who relates. I was a really outgoing girl, somewhat shy but I was very optimistic, athletic, and happy, when I was 14 I started the pill. Over time I grew increasingly less optimistic, my anxiety grew, along with the loss of drive in school and working out. I never put the two together until now, 5 years later, I got off the pill in February and received one DEPO treatment, in which my depression grew entirely worse. Now, finally my body is cleared of all unnatural hormones, I have gained my athletic drive and body back and am much happier in all aspects of life. Direct correlation or just coincidence?  
I hear that certain tea like passionflower or chamomile can give an instant, drowsy relive to anxiety. I haven't tried that but intend to. I've been on birth control for about 4 months now and after the first couple months I experienced my first feelings of severe panic. Thinking I just didn't want to be with my bf anymore for no apparent reason, I rashly broke up with him, regretted It, got back together and so on so forth. Still to this day are both suffering from my uncertainty, fear, and anxiety. I'm 20 and didn't till recently think it was related to BC but reading how common, I really think it is. I have a friend that just has it and isn't on BC and she copes with it and says it gets better with time:) but I for one think I'm kissing bc goodbye cause after missing one night, the next day I was literally confused why I felt ok and then I realized. I forgot it! So yay hopefully it'll help to stop
Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on here, it means so much to me to know I'm not alone and I'm not loosing my mind! I'm 30 and have been on the pill since the age of 16. I was first prescribed microgynon for about a year but had terrible headaches and break through bleeding so my Dr switched me to Loestrin 30; which I've taken for the last 13 years. Over the years I've become depressed and an obsessive, anxious worrier. I have no energy and my brain feels like it's hazy and I can't concentrate. Granted, I experienced some quite traumatic life events in my early-mid 20s, so I had always put how I was feeling down to this. However, over last few years things have been going really well in my life and I have everything to live for and be happy about, but I just haven't been able to shake the depression and constant feeling of dread and fear that something terrible will happen. I had never connected how I felt with the pill until my sister told me told a few weeks ago that she'd gone onto a new pill but had to change it as it turned her into an emotional wreck. Suddenly it dawned on me that the pill might effect mood, so I checked the side effects listed in my packet and sure enough depression was listed, so I googled anxiety and the pill and was amazed to find all your comments. I've discussed them with my incredibly supportive boyfriend of 10 years and we've agreed I'm not going to start my next course of pills at the end of this week. I'm really excited to see how I feel sans pill. I've been on it so long I can't really remember life before it! Maybe it's the cause of my problems, maybe it exaggerates them, or maybe it's not related at all, but whatever the case my boyfriend and I think it's worth a try, I'll keep you posted about how I get on! Thank you again for opening my eyes to the possibility!
I'm so glad I have seen your post. I too am 30, i was on Cilest for 10 years and then switched to Micrgynon. I literally feel like I have gone crazy and beyond the point of return. I have NO reason to be depressed or anxious, i have a wonderful husband and have just bought an amazing house. But I worry constantly to the point of feeling exhausted alot of the time and hazy. My worry all stems around my husband, i am obsessed with his past and constantly worry he will leave me/cheat/fancy other women. I have felt like this for over 2 years now but I am really embarrassed about how I think so can't tell anyone (except you guys)! My husband has been great and so patient but has come to his wits end which is making me even more anxious. I dont know what to do. I think about just disappearing all the time. I hope its my pill, but i'm almost scared to stop taking it incase I found out it's just me. I feel insane. I feel i have no happiness left within my soul. I ALWAYS feel like I am the only person in the world who thinks this way. Do you really think it could be the pill?? I hope you are all ok. x
Hey everyone,

This thread is very old, and very long.  I want everyone to get the benefit of replies and support from the forum, which often doesn't happen when you post on an older thread like this.  They get passed by for the newly started threads.

To get some input and support, please copy/paste your posts into a new thread.  You can do this by clicking on the orange "post a question" button on the top right of the page.

Generally speaking on the topic, hormonal contraceptives most DEFINITELY can cause anxiety.  Just think about it, hormones affect us in many different ways.  Just think of how your emotions can be all over the place at that time of the month.  That's a result of normal physiological fluctuations in our hormones, so imagine how a birth control product could potentially affect us?  The good news is, with time,. you will get back to normal, it just sometimes takes a while.  If you're fairly new to the BC med, it's a good idea to give it some time, as there can be an adjustment period, and those symptoms can resolve.  If after a couple of week the symptoms are bad, then call your doctor to discuss your options.

Good luck to you all!
I had the exact same experience!!!!

WHERE IS THE MALE BIRTH CONTROL???? WHY IS IT ONLY FEMALES WHO HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH THIS, AND THE RESPONSIBILITY LEFT ON OUR SHOULDERS ALONE?
Are you still on the pill now or did you come off? Feel any better?

I'm going to go to my doctors asap.
Phew...so I 'm NOT the only one. I had taken birth control in the past and it made me sick, crazy, depressed, and so ugh about sex. I'm on it again more than 4 years later and the same thing even though I've only been taking it for a week. I know this doesn't sound smart but should I stop now or wait to see if it will regulate in my system?
Im so glad that I found this forum.
I have been on Rigevidon (cheaper version of micogynon) for 9months now. Within the last 5months I have progessively got more and more anxious. About EVERYTHING and anything!!! I have no self esteem, I am constantly worrying what other people think of me, wondering what my boyfriend must think of me. etc etc...its exhausting. Ive never been like this before, and I was beginning to worry that it was just me, and I was turning into a mental case! I have just stopped the pill so i am hoping that I will now go back to my normal happy go lucky self...would hate it if it just turns out that its me!! Im scared that after putting my boyfriend through so much that he will leave me. He has been so patient , I just hope I havent pushed him away.
I started having extreme anxiety and depression.  I did not know it was caused by the birth control. I thought I had an anxiety disorder.  The dr  wanted to put me on anti depressants, which only made it worse.  When I read this site I immediately quit taking the anti drepressants and the birth contro.  In a couple of months I started feeling better.  It has been about five months now and I am completely back to normal.  No more racing thoughts of fear.  No more panic.  No more up all night stressing.   I hate birth control and I never want my daughters to take it.  What an awful experience I had.  I just wanted to get back on here and let people know.......  quit taking the birth control.  It was ruining my life!   Soooooo happy I quit!
Thank you for your comment!  The exact same thing is happening to me.  Only weeks ago I was so in love and feeling secure and happy.  Now that I'm on Loestrin, I've had two periods in the span of two weeks, I'm agitated, depressed, anxious, irritable and I suddenly have this intense fear/perception that my boyfriend is losing interest in me and becoming distant.  I feel disconnected and abandoned when I don't think anything is actually wrong; I think he's actually just busy and stressed.  But my mind is telling me that everything is falling apart.  This pill is helping with my migraines so I want to stay on it but the bleeding and severe personality change are hugely problematic.  I spend all day trying to calm myself down because I feel so edgy and panicky.
Thank you--the same thing is happening to me on Loestrin and it's comforting to know that this really is all in my head.  It still feels real and I feel so agitated and anxious it's hard to get through my day.  I'm convinced that my boyfriend is pulling away and has lost interest in me and I feel like sobbing about it and I'm so angry with him for not showing me the attention I'm craving, when in fact I have no reason to think there's anything wrong other than that he's been really overwhelmed and busy and stressed lately.  I have always been a big fan of healthy space and respecting boundaries and maintaining independence but right now I feel so needy and insecure I want to cling to him for dear life.  I've resisted reaching out at all but I feel like I'm going crazy.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one going through these crazy feelings!

I used to take Trinessa, and it was a complete nightmare. I would cry SO hard, worry over every single little thing, and couldn't function normally -- it was a struggle to make myself go to class, be social, go to work, etc., and this isn't me at all.

After this, I went back to Lo-Loestrin, and it was pretty great. Light periods, no more crazy mood swings and depression, cleared up skin, and such, but it cost a lot more, so I went back to Loestrin FE.

So far, Loestrin FE has caused extremely similar mood problems to those I experienced on Trinessa. I can't wait to get off these crazy pills. It will be worth paying more for the Lo-Loestrin to not feel crazy anymore.

Loestrin FE, unlike Trinessa, only makes me feel awful when I miss pills or start the inactive pills for my period time. I can't begin to describe how terrible they make me feel. I cry explosively over nothing, experience racing thoughts, panicky breathing, feel worthless, have no motivation to do anything beyond getting up to go to the bathroom, and I will worry over things that would normally not bother me. For example, they are causing strains on my relationship because I will obsessively convince myself that my boyfriend is tired of me and wants to break up, even though we are totally fine and I've never had any sort of concern about him doing these things before. Luckily, he's a great guy and is understanding about what's happening, but I feel awful when I get this way nonetheless.

Since I've always been a pretty healthy/happy person, I don't see any other way this could be anything but these certain brands of birth control pills. I totally recommend giving Lo-Loestrin a try if you've had these mood swing problems with other brands. I feel pretty stable and normal on those, but they do cost a bit more. Even though Lo-Loestrin and Loestrin FE are the same brand name, something about Lo-Loestrin just works with my body chemistry better. It is the lowest amount of hormones available in a birth control pill, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Good luck to everyone experiencing these problems!
Thank you for this forum.

I've been on the mini pill for 6 months now, its making me ill. I'm getting worse, im paranoid, I think all my friends are against me. Im constantly moody and irratable which is very unlike me. I'm not wanting to go to college and go to university because I feel down about myself, I sometimes think I'm better off dead? Which just is'nt me at all.. I think it's causing me to suffer from depression and I want to get it sorted before my grades suffer at college.
When I was 17 I went on ortho tri cyclen lo. I was on it for about 3 years. Over that span of time I must have put on about 15lbs. I felt uncomfortable in my body and I remember feeling glad to come off of the pill and swearing never to take it again... mostly it was just a distant memory. I started eating healthy foods and exercising. I dropped the extra weight and then some.
Two months ago I decided to start taking it again. My periods are intense the nausea and cramping over the first couple of days often rendered me useless at work and I figured it might give me some relief. My partner and I also wanted to give it a try and give condoms a rest. I'm 23 now and since beginning birth control I remember exactly why I swore I would never take them again.

The first month was horrible. I went to planned parenthood to get my pills and was told by the nurse that the tri cyclen lo would be good for me and I could start immediately if I wanted to rather than wait until my period or even start on a Sunday. I listened and started them at a time that was convenient for me right after I stopped taking a prescribed antibiotic. I had my period for an entire month. Severe cramping and bleeding. It was a miserable 4 weeks to say the least.
I just finished the 2nd pack and I won't be taking them anymore. I no longer have medical coverage and the pills end up being $120 a pack. Aside from that I am so depressed and withdrawn from everything. No matter what I try I just feel like I'm engulfed in sadness. I'm sick to my stomach constantly, tired, moody and disinterested. Whatever feelings I do seem to experience are strange. I recognize them yet feel detached from them. I have a complete lack of sex drive and feel bloated and uncomfortable. I can't justify spending $120 on something that has made me a completely different person in the worst way possible. Sex without condoms just isn't worth it for me. In fact I'd rather experience my usual awful cramping for a few days than be miserable indefinitely.  

I've read in a lot of places that birth control doesn't cause depression but in all honesty I must say that I disagree. What I have experienced cannot possibly be a normal or acceptable way to live one's life. I wish I would have paid more attention to my past experience with the pill instead of listening to other people's speculation about how it would affect my body. Health care professional or not, nobody knows your body like you do.

All these posts are so similar to what I've been going through. I went on Lutera about a year ago and at first there were no weird side effects except an increased appetite and my breasts got a lot bigger so I wasn't complaining! About 3-6 months ago, I didn't realize it but I started getting a lot more emotional and moody. My boyfriend and I had always had a good relationship with minor bickering but that was it but I started getting annoyed at almost everything he did. More recently I became so obsessed with the idea that he was cheating on me or doing all these sketchy things behind my back so I read his Facebook messages and we had a huge fight that lasted days and it was absolutely horrible. I would go from feeling so insecure and like I hated him to feeling completely loving towards him and it was such a rollercoaster, each day seemed like a complete 180. And even today, I went to my college class, got back home, and slept for almost 4 hours and in my next class, I was tearing up for the next 2 hours...I don't even know why. When it finally hit me that my bc could be causing my craziness a few weeks ago, I asked my boyfriend if he noticed any emotional/moodiness and he said definitely. I have an apt with my gyno in a few weeks to try and go on something else because I can't do this anymore. Overall I'm a pretty happy person and I literally feel insane sometimes. I'm crossing my fingers for something better.
I've only been on the pill for 3 days and i'm already showing signs of depression. I'm taking it for regularity rather than birth control and i'm not sure if i should keep using it or not. I've had exams for the past three days and I've failed all of them because of my non stop crying. I"M FAILING MY HSC!
I can completely relate to every single one of your guys' comments put together! I've been on the pill for a little over a year now, and I have been acting absolutely ridiculous. I've never been so needy in my life, especially with my boyfriend, and I'm constantly hostile to every person I talk to. I want my boyfriend to pay attention to me 24/7 and when he's not, I throw huge fits and childish temper tantrums. I'm constantly complaining about how I hate my life and how I'm so unhappy with everything all the time, and it progressively has been getting worse. I don't know what to do-I don't know if it's the pill that I am taking or if I'm seriously just a psycho.
I came across this site as my last hope.
I am currently on my 2nd pack of Lo Loestrin FE. I was previously on Loestrin and about several other brands in the last couple of years. Each time being told by the doctor to give them a couple of months- all with the same results. I have developed severe panic attacks, sleeplessness, thoughts of suicide, extreme anger/ rage, migraines,  forgetfulness and most recently severe hives all over most of my body at random times of the day. My face would begin itching so terribly I would sit at my desk crying, practically scratching the skin off my face. I thought I might have food allergies and tried different things, to no avail.  I wanted to attack everyone around me and had to pretty much talk myself down from many situations where thoughts of suicide were completely overwhelming. I literally sat in the food court of a local mall and contemplated jumping from 3 floors up and began to cry (while sitting there alone). I am a mother of 2 teenage sons and have been many years on BCP... I have never found one that I didnt feel absolutely terrible on- I don't want to live my life in a constant state of madness and decided 4 days ago to stop. I already feel happier, no night sweats, nightmares, there's no itching for 3 days now, I feel like I actually have a sex drive- and am human again. I am not sure what the next step is for me, but I cannot and will not continue my life like this and hurting people around me-
I have been on Tri-Cylen Lo for 1.5 years now. I am 23 years old. I was always a very level-headed, chill person until I started taking birth control. The effects were barely noticeable at the beginning...it was almost a gradual build up of anxiety up to what it is today. Currently, I have  no interest in seeing my friends, I get anxiety leaving the house, and if anyone asks anything about me personally, I started to cry uncontrollably. I can't handle social situations at all unless with those who are most close to me. I used to be much more of an independent person. Also, within a year of taking the pill, my eyesight has worsened dramatically (leaving the eye doctor completely baffled, it's like nothing he's seen before!). I went to the doctor's to talk about switching to the copper iud since it's hormone-free. The doctor said that it wasn't the birth control pill that was causing these symptoms and prescribed me another hormonal bc pill. I don't think I'll even risk trying this new pill. I'm sick of being trapped within my own hormonal mind and need to get back to my happy self. I plan to keep searching for a doctor who will listen to my concerns.
I too am so glad i found this site! Ive been on Microgynon 30 since my teens, im now 25. I went back on it after pregnancy and then a couple years later I came off it because I was suffering with anxiety, which was because of circumstances but I'm now thinking the pill could have exasperated it. I had a break from it for a few months and went back on it when I began to feel better. For the past 18 months- 2 years I have been taking back to back packs, 3 in a row equalling 63 pills and then a 7 day break (missing 2 periods). I had heard of others doing this to skip their periods and further help with PMS symptoms and asked my nurse if this was safe and she said it was absolutely fine and she recommended I do this.
I've had bad PMS for the past 2-3 years, including uncontrollable crying and anger, depression (usually at the time of the month) severe migraines and low sex drive. My sex drive is now completely non existent which has caused big problems in my relationship with my fiance. I thought there was something wrong with me and he has thought that I'm not attracted to him anymore, which is not the case.. I just physically have not felt like sex AT ALL!
It has got to the point we haven't had sex in over 2 months! He has also said he feels I'm emotionally withdrawn and harder to live with because in arguments or disagreements I've got out of control rage and uncontrollable crying and I don't even know why. Also the past 6 months I've become extremely anxious. I worry about EVERYTHING! About what people think, about my job, comparing myself all the time to other people, even strangers. Its seriously gotton me down. I also freak out about the most insignificant silly things, only realising afterwards how much stress ive put myself through.
I've been to the doctor and she has suggested having the non-hormonal coil but since hearing peoples bad experiences with that aswel as the pill I've decided to come off all birth control. My fiance agrees, he doesn't want me to have the risks or even have to go through the procedure of a coil when it may not even work out and we will have to use condoms.
I am on day 3 of not taking my pill, I've stopped mid pack. I just want the hormones out of my body as quickly as possible. I feel at peace of mind already knowing I'm not the only one in this situation.
I'm a little apprehensive about my first period, coming off the pill which hasn't started yet. But I am convinced now that hormonal birth control is not for me.
I know you posted this 3 years ago but can you PLEASE give me an update on how you are doing??? I have the EXACT SAME STORY. Sprintek, married, bought a house... Please let me know what you did to recover and how long it took....
THANK-YOU
I have my normal pill check on Monday and am going to question the pill. Am 40 and felt soooo anxious recently it (well, for the last few years!) it keeps me awake at night and I worry about my teenage son all the time.  I also feel completely detached emotionally from new husband and any friends. I did come off it for a while and it made no difference but willing to give another try!  Help!!!!!!
My story is not as bad as many of the others on here... kudos to all of you who made it through these BC pill horror stories! I am doing a little research to see if my evening sadness/ moodiness is due to my birth control. I've been on Generess fe for a little over a year and a half now. It has worked great and I've not realized any huge side effects. The past few months I have been a little more emotional and grumpy than I'd like to be. However, it often only surfaces in the evening. I am a morning person 100%, I love knowing a full day is ahead of me. When evening approaches my mind cannot stop racing of all of the things I could've done that I didn't, or how my boyfriend should've called to hang out with me after work and many other unreasonable things that should not make me that upset! I cry myself to sleep some nights, and I absolutely hate it. I too feel like I go "crazy" with my boyfriend sometimes too. My instances just don't sound as severe as the rest of the stories I've read. Do any of you have any input or similar feelings? I don't want to get off the pill if it isn't necessary, because so far it has been a great contraceptive. Advice PLEASE!
Lately I've been in a deep depression and all of a sudden I snapped on my family members and my companion I've been dating off and on for 16 years. I have been on Lo Loestrin since November of last year and it seens like each month I have a new symptom.  It has gotten to the point where no one wants to be around me at all.  I've also had sucidial thoughts feels like no one understands me.  When I wasn't taking birth control I wasn't this bad off.  Yes I get depressed, but usually I snapped out of it quick.
Hey ladies! I'm eighteen years old and yes I'm sexually active. I started on LOLO about thirteenth days ago. and it has made me feel horrible: anxious depressed, and extremely sick.it nothing short of *****. Has anyone else had these symptoms on a low does birth control?  
This is so relieving... Obviously I have been going through the same thing. I'm 21 and I just started Lyrna this month.  The Wednesday before I was supposed to start my period on the pack everything started to hit the fan. I have been dating my boyfriend for 4 years and I have always been completely in love with him. I know this might sound like bragging but he is literally perfect ladies. He is everything that I have wanted in a man and more.  But on that Wednesday I woke up obsessing over the fact that I might not love him anymore and have been throwing the thought of breaking up with him and the thought of marrying him doesn't excite me anymore when the day before that was all I would day dream about.  So since then I have been obsessing over the thought of whether I want to or not. LIKE I CANT TURN MY MIND OFF. When I think that I do I have an anxiety attack and start going through deep depression.  I just can't imagine my life without him and the thought of him with someone else makes me sick.  But then I have these weird thoughts of how relieving it would be if he broke up with me... its like my mind is playing tricks on me.  Then yesterday I was with him and everything was perfectly normal but then those thoughts would haunt me again and I would think to myself that "I don't love him anymore." I do love him so much but I don't know why I'm obsession over all this.  Also I haven't been able to eat.  Putting one morsel of food in my mouth makes me gag and I have been force feeding myself for the past two weeks.  My family has even been noticing that I haven't been eating enough.  I have just lost all my appetite because I am so worried about my feelings.  I just haven't been feeling myself at all. I had to call off two days of work because I couldn't keep my composure and today I lost it at my desk and my supervisor had to pull me aside to calm me down. I have stopped taking the pill but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take for me to get back to normal. I really can't live like this anymore I'm drowning in my thoughts and I just want to be happy and normal again.HELP!
Viewing 201-373 comments:
gyspy09 commented on JustHelp123's status
1 hr ago
Thin4Freedom says... Haha! Convinced my ... Comment
The Ultimate Food Storage Cheat She...
11 hrs ago by gymdandee