birth control pill causing anxiety/ depression??
I was just wondering if anyone has been on birth control pills and have suffered from anxiety or depression issues? I have been on the pill for 11yrs now and cant take how I am feeling anymore. I went on the pill for irregular periods, but since then I have been feeling blah, libido has decreased severely, I have sinus problems- I found out I have no allergies- so I think it is related to axiety, I worry constantly about everything; I get so nervous I get light headed sometimes. I thinkk I am going to try and stop the pills. I was just wondering if anyone had similar side effects from birth control pills. Thank you!
Have any of you heard of compounded natural hormones?  (Suzanne Sommers, the blonde star of Three is Company, an old TV show, wrote a book about these.)  Once your hormone levels are measured--in blood or urine--conbinations of different hormones are put together, in capsules, to your bodies specifications; you need to find a gyn or a Dr. open to these and willing to work with you.  These compounded hormones do not affect fertility, they are not for birth control purposes, but can certainly help with excessive, irregular bleeding, depression, menopause symptoms and other hormonal imbalances.   My heart goes out to all you having problems with the pill.  
I have a 20 year old, 4 months on the pill, experiencing constant anxiety and depression with anger and bouts of crying over small things.  I am helping her find alternatives.  It has been very helpful to read all postings here as I was not aware of such serious side effects and was not sure what was going on with her.  Depression and the pill are obviously not researched at all.  
I am a man but might be able to offer something in on this.

My girlfriend is on the pill. She started taking ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN and her personality changed to being a bit snappy and after 3 months I requested that she stop taking it. Her personality changed so much I was not happy around her. We changed to ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LOW and she turned sweet again. It was weird too because the ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN made her gain 8 lbs more body weight and when she switched to low she lost 10 lbs body weight. We then changed to Tri-Nesta and she gained her 2 lbs back to normal body weight. Through all this her personality changed with her body weight. We ran out of pills and went back to some old pill packs and just like that her personality changed and weight changed. She was totally unaware of the personality change but as her boyfriend I noticed a big change. I don't think any of them had an affect on her weight but when she became more snappy on the ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN she tended to eat more junk. And when she changed to the lower hormone she became my sweet girlfriend again. Not sure if it is the pill but the hormone level in the dosage at least that I noticed with my girlfriend. She is actually the least snappy when she is on the low level hormone pills than she is off the pill too if that makes sense? Us men don't pick up on everything but we sure notice when our other becomes snappy. :) Hope this adds some info from a 3rd party.
Hello everyone, I am a 19 year old female, and let me tell you I have been through hell from birth control pills.  My doctor had put me on birth control pills since I was about 16 years old because I had a ovarian cyst.  I started out on Ortho-Tri Cyclen and that worked wonders for me and my cycle, but after 2 years I started to have break through bleeding.  Then about a couple months ago my doctor put me on Loestrin24Fe, and thats were the trouble began.   I noticed that I became very anxious, tired, and nervous.  That is when the panic attacks started.  However, at the time I did not know what I was experiencing.  Therefore, I went to the doctor and she took me off of the pills. I haven't been on any birth control pills for a month now and my anxiety and panic attacks have gotten worse.  Does anyone know why?  I believe it is because I have been on the pill for a decent amount of time that my body is not used to my normal hormones yet.  I NEED ANSWERS!! I am becoming extremely depressed because it is effecting my life greatly.  I am a very active person but ever since I came in touch with the feeling of anxiety I am a different person all together.
Its really comforting hearing that people out there are experiencing the same things I have been.. Im 28 and was on the pill for almost 10 years.. I started with Ortho tri cyclen at 18  and I was fine on it.  Then Planned Parenthood changed me to Ortho tri cyclen lo after 5 years which screwed me up wicked.. Had spotting every week when I transitioned from dose level to dose level... Terrible... They just told me to "give it time" finally I had to stop using it and went on Levlen which is a monophasic pill.. Loved it! No spotting or anything.. then... after 3 years.... I recently developed massive anxiety all of a sudden....  At the same time Planned parenthood switched me again to Microgestin... a lower dose hormone... BAD! (they like to swicth people every few years) The first month was fine... I actually felt better mentally and had no spotting.. but then I had a nasty period.. got really bloated.. now its month 2 and I have has like non-stop spotting and bloating.. I feel like a fat pig! But... I think that it has helped my anxiety attacks....  Mr drs all said there wasn't likely a link between my anxiety and the pill bcuz the hormone levels are so low (ie why we have to take them everyday) but I think there is.. They tested me for everything, found nothing, although I still feel depressed and like I am going to die sometimes with paranoia etc  (I was convinced I was going to have an aneurysm or I had a brain tumor) but they checked me into therapy and tried to put me on Paxil etc...  All I can say is that as we get older our bodies change.. especially in late 20s to the 30s. If you have anxiety etc etc HAVE YOUR THYROID TESTED!!!!!!! Your thyroid is responsible for many hormonal issues.... Although many women dont get tested until their 30-40s, thyroid issues are majorly under diagnosed in younger women... Now that I am closer to 30 I feel that 10 years on the pill is long enough... The IUD is the way to go I hear...  If anyone has advice on the IUD and anxiety I am curious...
hey everyone,
im being put on birth control next month for irregular periods and severe cramps. I already suffer from GAD/panic attacks and i dont want the pill to make it worse!
i was wondering if any of you take any med for your anxiety and if so does the pill stop the anxiety med from working? i take klonopin every day, so i dont know if the pill would cause the klonopin to stop working and i'll feel anxious again? oh gosh, after reading all your post, i dont want to go on the pill!
I have been on the nuva ring 1 year and half, which is a form of birth control. I now have symptoms of anxiety do you think my anxiety could be coming from this.
I am 20 and i've been on the pill for almost a year now. I am a happy person and i love life but, this year has been so crazy. I've had 2 panic attacks and had to quit a job waitressing because I would become so anxious. I am extroverted and I love talking to people but all the sudden I was nervous. I thought I was losing my mind. I have taken Desogen and now I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I thought there might be a connection between the anxiety and my pill but all the drs. said it was unrelated and I should go to a family dr. So, three weeks ago I did and they put me on Lexapro 10mg for anxiety and Protonix 40mg for stomach problems that go with my anxiety. So, now I feel better but I wonder if I could avoid all this by stopping the birth control pill. What other options are there for a 20 that doesn't want to have kids for at least 5-8 years?
So I too have seen a difference in my mood, now that I putting things together.
I have had anxiety for so long that I thought it was all from my family having anxiety.
I am sure that 50% of this is true, but I have noticed that everytime I am on birth control, my mood is so different.
I was put on the nuvaring last January and was in the hopital in February due to side effects. At the time, I didn't know exactly it was the birth control, I thought that it was just me.
Well I stopped the nvaring for about two months and when I went back to my OBGYN, he told me that my body just needs to get used to it and that I would be fine. So, needless to say, I filled the perscription again and was okay for about two months. In june, I put the ring back in, and about days days went by, I was at work and had a huge panic attack, that I took sick time and felt like I needed to run away.
After about a week, I was getting worse and four days later all day at work, all I did was cry! i just couldnt stop and felt horrible. My fiancee was really concerned and told me to check the side effects of the nvaring and on there it said that it can cause nervousness and or depression. As soon as I read that a loud to my fiancee and I he told me to take it out right away.I went to my PCP and she gave me Paxil and XanaX but havent taken either. I am too afraid, (again because of my anxiety). Well, I started to get better after about a week of not having the nvaring in but I am still going thru a depression period. I think that its because I consumed myself with panic, racing thoughts the whole nine that I now I dont know how to get out of it.
I started therapy two weeks ago and also went back to the doctors where they put me on YAZ. Its been four days so I will see how that goes. Hormones definitely by all means have something to do with how we feel. I hate that we can get so screwed up because of this.
I am so happy that I have found people that totally understand. Sorry for the TMI as well. I just thought that I would share.
hm...
i just checked myself into ER last week from chest pains and trouble breading... was having breakthrough bleeding.... nauseus, dizzy/lightheaded... clammy, heaviness in entire upper body... extreme fatigue... thought there was something seriously wrong with me. had EKG...   around similar time i had also stopped taking pills.  wasn't sure if i was going through panic anxiety symptoms or was due to getting off the pill.... maybe they are all related??... i was going online looking for answers ---  i am starting to think there may be some kind of link with the pill and anxiety!.... i am off the pill... but still having spouts of bleeding... my anxiety keeps coming and going... nightmares...    I am a Christian and in my head i am able to sort things through... but my body is having a harder time due to whatever is going on...
I have been on the pill for gosh almost 8 years. I have never connected it to anxiety, but when I was on Ortho Tricylin for a brief month I felt like I was crazy. I got off of that and found a new pill to take. This one made me feel fine. I think lol. Ive been on it for so long, but I have also had anxiety for as long. I need to think about this. I was on anxiety medication for the last 4 years, and now I cut myself off cold turkey.  I wonder if I went through the IUD realm I would go back to how I felt before the anxiety. You guys definitelky have made me think.
Thank you guys so much... Reading all these comments made me feel much better... I was beginning to think my anxiety would never end. I used to have anxiety attacks when I was very young, and then very rarely as a teenager, but other than that I am usually very high-spirited and carefree. I'm 21 and have been on the pill since Feb 07 but stopped in November 07 for a couple of months because I was getting bad pains in my left leg, had a really bad anxiety attack and generally wasn't feeling like myself.

During those two months the cramps were so bad, they reminded me why I first had revered the pill as a godsend, so I went back on it. It's been about 7 months since I started on the pill again, and about three weeks ago the anxiety returned full swing. Reasoning with myself and distracting myself works temporarily, but I find myself going through highs and lows pretty rapidly, and the lows keep me from getting work done.

Without the pill, the cramps are absolutely horrendous, but I'm beginning to think that I could deal with physical pain better than this anxiety, and may stop with the pill altogether.
My daughter went on the pill because of heavy flow and long duration, which was really a problem because she plays college basketball.  She never had serious PMS so that wasn't a problem.  She took the pill that is 24 days on and 4 off.  She was okay for three months then her periods stopped.  Our physician said that was okay, just keep taking the pills for now and we planned on a physical when she got home in May.  My daughter was actually kind of thrilled not to have to deal with it during the basketball season.  But things went downhill fast.  I didn't know what was wrong with her, she just seemed emotionally flat.  When she came home in May she had dropped 20 pounds, and finally broke down saying she had kept to herself all semester because she felt so sad all the time.  We set up a doctor's appointment and they ran all the blood work which showed some lower hormone levels but all within the normal range.  Then she and I sat together for hours talking about health and planning a program that would help restore her.  She stopped taking the pill immediately.  I had researched the effects of the different hormones involved and it turns out that the pill affects seritonin levels...SO OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO AFFECT A WOMAN'S EMOTIONAL HEALTH!  Within about 6 weeks the result of eating a thoroughly healthy diet and not taking hormones was evident.  She was sparkling, looking forward to getting back to school.  However, she wanted to try the pills again to see if that was what caused all the trouble, with the agreement that she would stop them if there were any signs of the depression returning.  She took them for six weeks, and then stopped.  Her mood had crashed again.When we spoke to our physician (a woman) and with the university Physician and nurse practitioner, all of them poo-pooed my daughter's claims of emotional deterioration while on the pill.  
   So, if I didn't bore you too much, I leave you with this thought, which I also saw in an earlier post:  How many women are on anti-depressants because of the pill?  I seriously think this could be one of the greatest assaults on women in modern history.   How do we get the medical community to address this?
p.s. I am so thankful to find this discussion.  I have been looking for information for a year and a half and just couldn't find anything current.  
I am 32 years old and have a 4 month old little boy i have just started taking the pop again micronor after coming off this pill 3 years ago to have a baby.
Its been 6 weeks since i started taking the pill and have experienced at least 3 major migraines blurred vision and in the last week severe anxiety attacks nausea and dizziness.
I have suffered with anxiety disorder for 13 years but have managed to live a very happy life and still do things that i have always wanted to do although at times the anxiety disorder has been very challenging and believe me i have had moments where i could have easily given up.
I have now just realised that the pill has probably (though not confirmed by a dr) been a big factor to my anxiety as i was anxiety free while  off the pill for 3 years or even if i did have anxiety in those 3 years it was not unbearable.
I have decided to come off the pill as of tomorrow all together as i feel that this may be the cause of my anxieties had i had known that the pill could do this many years ago i'm sure my life would have been a lot easier and my family would have been saved a lot less worry over my well being. Well if i am right maybe this could be the start of a happier me.
I am so glad to have found this, I started on the pill nearly 9 years ago, at the beginning of this year I came off it as I had complete loss of libido and felt that my body needed a break. My periods were so painful it really affected my life so I went back on the pill (Micronor) about 6 weeks ago. It was only once I started taking the pill again I realised how rough it made me feel. I have been feeling really tired, moody and snappy, I have also had a lot of breakthrough bleeding and heavy periods. I have also been really anxious. I got engaged 3 weeks ago and when my boyfriend said he was taking me out for the day I knew what was coming, we had a lovely lunch and then all of a sudden I felt sick and as though I was going to pass out, it was only after that I realised it was a panic attack, and since then I have been feeling really anxious, we had a party last night to celebrate our engagement but I couldn't enjoy myself as I was so anxious the whole night. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow to see what they can suggest, I am just worried that coming off the pill will bring back the really bad cramps. Anyone got any suggestions on dealing with these bad period pains?
Unfortunately my only real solution is painkillers, painkillers and more painkillers. Oh yeah, and just being asleep. It's rough on the liver, I know, but as of now it's the only thing that can really get me through it when I'm not on the pill. (This cycle will be my first period after being on the pill again so I'm crossing my fingers)

There are a lot of natural remedies, like heating pads, exercise, flaxseed oil, rose hip tea/oil, etc. but as for myself, realistically they just don't cut it. They might be helping, but in such a small amount that I can't notice, because the pain is just too severe.

If you find out any other methods, let me know :)  In the meantime, I hope your cramps get less painful.
I was diagnosed as severely anemic (hemolobin 8) in early July.  At the time I wasn't on a birth control pill.  I had gone off of it two years ago when my husband had a vasectomy.  He had this so that I wouldn't need to be on the pill since I was so moody on it.  He had commented after I was off of it about how much better I am off of it (mental health wise).  After being diagnosed with anemia, I started taking 3 iron pills a day & now my hemoglobin level is normal.  I am still taking one iron pill a day.  I was put on a low estrogen pill to control my monthly bleeding.  I am almost through my 2nd pack of pills.  I have had nausea, dizziness, and what now seems to be extreme anxiety.  I worry about everything all of the time.  I am not sleeping well at all.  I am calling the doctor tomorrow to see if I can stop taking the pill.  I believe something called ablation may be an option.  However, I was told it may not work well for me since I am 40.  Anyone have experience with ablation?
I was very relieved to find this message chain.  Im 16 and i just started taking the pill at the beginning of August.  Last month i tried Linessa which caused me to gain almost ten pounds, it made my skin bad and i was angry alof of the time.. I then swiched over to Allese, im about half way through my first package and it has caused me to become severly depressed.  I've been having trouble getting out of bed.  My periods arnt great but i can deal with them when i am not on the pill and I'm still a virgin but i suppose that i wont be forever.  Im not sure whether to stay on the pill and live like this or go off and be happy again.  If i do go off can i just stop right now even thought im only about half way finnished the package?
Out of curiosity, why are you on the pill? Personally, I think if your periods are manageable without it, the choice seems pretty clear to just stop taking the pill, especially since you are not sexually active yet.

You don't have to finish the pack if you're going to stop taking them (the reason you are to finish entire packs without missing one is so that you keep the steady flow of hormones to avoid pregnancy). When I decided to stop, I was just in the middle of the first week of a pack. Be cautioned that when you stop taking them, you'll start bleeding a day or so after, and your body may be in a confused state by the sudden change in hormone levels, but there's really no serious harm done by it. My anxiety was getting to a very severe point, so jumping ship like that was really the best option! Best of luck to you :)
Well I feel a lot better knowing there are others out there who are insane due to birthcontrol pills and anti depressants...

Last year I had an oviaian cyst rupture and bleed out into my stomach.  I had to go to the hospital and have minor surgery.  It wasn't really that big of an issue but after being a very healthy woman in my twenties and never having an experience like this happen, I freaked out.  I was convinced all aches and paines where the end of me.  I did some research and discovered that the Merina IUD causes ovarian cysts.  So now I'm on Paxil and birth control pills and I notice that the week before my period I'm an completely insane with panic attacks, crying fits and a very short temper.  I'm trying to talk my husband into getting fixed so I can get off the hormones, but he's being quite difficult.