Anxiety Community
buspirone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

buspirone

ok the doctor took me off of paxil because of some bad experiences, now he gave me buspirone 10mg once a day. im just wondering if anyone have ever took this, and how did it help. im now afraid of meds, due to the bad experience with the paxil, so if anyone can tell me about this med i would feel alot better. i know some of you will say just try it, but i realy dont want what happen before to happen again. i i also know that all meds dont work the same for everyone
just need some feed back
Just want to add I have also been prescribed this recently due to anxiety troubles. Like ADs I understand they take a coupe of weeks to work.
Possible Adverse Reactions:  buspirone
Dizziness, GI upset, headache, nervousness, CNS or emotional effects, nonspecific chest pain, tinnitus, dream disturbances.

Did you doctor also tell you that when buspirone is prescribed in conjunction with an antidepressant, there is a much greater chance that it will help in treating your anxiety?  If not, I'd get on the stick with him/her and ask that question.

Buspirone when take alone is a tame drug.  Abrupt stoppage may cause some minor headache and/or GI upset.  The maximum daily dosage recommended is 60 mg.  The amount you were prescribed is minute, so needless to be worried about any s.e.  However, please discuss with your physician the efficacy when taken with an antidepressant, rather than alone.  Sounds like your doc's way of substituting an anxiolytic for a benzo.
i am going to use it with xanax 0.5mg . so do you all think i should take it
If you take the buspirone with Xanax, it is considered taking 2 medications that are basicially in the the same classification of drugs (anxiolytics).

As I stated above, the medical literature states in order to derive the full benefits of buspirone, it should be taken in conjunction with an antidepressant, which Xanax is not.

Therefore, if you take both the Xanax and buspirone; both very mild doses, you probably won't feel any different if than if you had just taken the Xanax alone.
I agree with Brenndy.  Buspar is very mild compared to any benzo.  I have taken Klonopin for five years and My doc started me on Buspar 10 mg three times a day.  I felt no difference at all and that was with celexa.  I was trying to wean off the Klonopin.  I only take a mg. per day.
Like daffysounds said, everyone reacts different to medications.  My warning would be: Be careful if you know you have Bipolar disorder.  Wellbutrin put me in the hospital feeling like I had bugs crawling on my and a severe rapid heartrate, chest pains after three weeks of being on it.  I was on a small dose because I am VERY sensitive to medications.  I should have been put on a mood stablizer first then introduced to the medication.  The ER doc told me I had an apethetic reaction and shouldn;t take Wellbutrin. I had, however been on Paxil in my third trimester due to severe depression and had wierd thoughts of suicide.  The Paxil did help me and save my life as well as my childs life.  I don't know if this helps, I don't mean for it to sound negative :)
nursegirl6572 Wishing my MH family a very... Comment
20 mins ago
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
25 mins ago
Mollyrae commented on Why You Might Have A ...
1 hr ago