Anxiety Community
can anxiety come on for NO reason?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

can anxiety come on for NO reason?

About a year ago I had a couple panic attacks one night out of the blue.  Since that time I have been battling anxiety.  After lots of doctors (convinced myself it was a heart issue) and lots money spent on them, I am still trying to find the "root" cause or any triggers but can't.  Being COMPLETELY honest, I can't find not one.  The feelings (I've been told are anxiety) come on for no reason and are getting worse.

I did try Lexapro for about 8-9 nine months but never thought it was helping....at least until I went off of it.  I continued to have chest pain during this time but not the anxiety to the extent it is now.

I guess I am just wondering if anxiety/panic can happen for NO apparent reason and if so, will it ever go away??  I know this forum is a support forum and so most people on here are struggling with anxiety too but is there anyone that knows of anyone that has had anxiety/panic at one time but now is anxiety "free"??

Also, has anyone attended any support groups?  I am wondering if that would be helpful.  From reading the posts I see a lot of similarities in symptoms with other people but I still question it.   I know the symptoms from other websites too but does anxiety feel like a soft motoring running in your chest?  Does anyone ever have horrible burning in the chest (that isn't relieved with tums and is unrelated to food)?        

This just seems crazy to me.  I know my thoughts are irrational but the physical symptoms are so real, the "what if" is driving me insane!  

Thanks for letting me ramble-it's been a rough week.

Tags: Anxiety, Chest
When I first started with anxiety, that motor ran in my chest 24/7 for about 6 months.  Couldn't understand what I was going through.  Like you, I went to many doctors and specialists and physically everything was fine.  I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Depression.  That was when I was 28 and I am 40 now.  Has it gone away for me?  No.  But with my meds it is 90% better than it was (paxil and buspar).  I went to my Psych. yesterday and he said he doesn't want to add any more medications.  He said it is something I will probably continue to have.  It is a condition of the mind, body and soul and cannot be pinpointed.  He said that I can't run away from it and try to become "friends" with it.  (He used other words, but this was the jist of it).  he said that once you learn to accept it and do A LOT of self talk to calm myself the feelings will subside.  He recommended two books which I just ordered today...They are called, DON'T PANIC by Reid Wilson and THE ANXIETY AND PHOBIA WORKBOOK by Edmund J. Bourne.  I will let you know how they are!  Remember, : you have anxiety...anxiety does NOT have you!
God bless.
i have the anxiety and phobia workbook and it is excellent. it really explain everything in depth. and as for having anxiety for no reason, i have the same problem. one day, for whatever reason, i had these subtle feelings (like dizziness and trouble concentrating), and they kept getting worse and worse. but remember, things usually have to get worse before they get better. i have no idea why i am anxious but things are slowly getting better. see a therapist..it really helps.
keep us posted!
Your case is exactly how I felt! I got anxiety totaly out of the blue.. I thought it might have been from everday stresses and work overload .. but I  am 23!? I had a panic attack one night and it sparred out of control from there.. I had constant fear I was going to have another panic episode and then the anxiety came and went came and went and finally cam in full force.My chest ached every day to the point where it would keel over to my back side and restrict my breathing. I felt like I wasnt having a ton of anxiety but the symptoms were a constant reminder that I thought something was seriously wrong with me!! I went to the doctors got on Lexapro.. NOT GOOD... I eventually went to the cardiologist since I was constantly obsessed with my  heart and pulse... EKG..ECHO..CHEST SCANS.. the whole 9yds.. everything came back regular.. That alone was total peace of mind. I suffered from anxiety for about 6 months until
I heard about the linden method and have been practicing it for over 2 motnhs and am totally 99% Anxiety free... leaving 1% for test/and speech anxiety that I have always had! So in answer to your question.. YES there are millions of recovered anxiety sufferers out there. DONT FEEL ALONE.. you can and will overcome this.. by believing in that simple fact and staying off the meds... you can perservere! Try the linden method it could be your first stepping stone to recovery! I also tried congnitive therapy.. ALTHOUGH I didnt visit a therapist.. I did it on my own by visiting the local librariers and keeping my brain occupied with positive thinking & new behaviors..thoughts..activities etc! I hope this is helpful GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND~ PEACE:)
I can completely relate.  I'm back to having anxiety...but almost twenty years ago, I was in the same boat as you.  I was having all the symptoms you describe (I also read another one of your posts & replied there too).

The answer to your question is "yes".  Anxiety can absolutely present itself at a time when you feel there's nothing to be anxious about.  This is known as generalized anxiety disorder, which can also lead to panic attacks & panic disorder.  This was my diagnosis back then.

Xanax is a drug (I think the generic name is alprazopan???) which is used to treat anxiety, but is also very specific to panic disorder.  I was treated over a two-year course by a psychiatrist.  After that, I felt great...back to normal.

At the moment, I'm presenting with odd symptoms following a horribly stressful time (tingling, weakness, etc.).  I'm back on Xanax & it has helped me somewhat.

Like you, I can't convince myself without diagnostic tests that "it's just anxiety".  I guess it's the nature of anxiety-prone individuals.

If you've had a complete workup, the doctors are taking you seriously, you're otherwise healthy... it could very well be anxiety-related.

Be well...good luck.
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.  It is so hard to believe that anxiety can take a hold of your life like it does.  I thought over time (this past year) that things would get better, especially after medical things were ruled out.  But it hasn't been the case for me.  Last night was really, really bad.  My chest aches this morning and I'm really short of breath.  I am logically trying to believe that I only had mini panic attacks last night and my chest hurts because I was tense--even though I tried so hard not to be.

I will look at the books, hopefully my library will have them-but if not, it's a VERY small price to pay considering all the doctor's I have bought cars for this year (with all my visits)!  (Or sent their kids to college---too much money to even think about!)

Thank you all again, I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement.
I didn't want to start a new thread but I was just wondering why this anxiety thing can't be a case of mind over matter?  I seems to be so uncontrollable.  

Also, I have a hard time laying on my left side.  Or on my stomach for that matter.  When I do I get a jittery feeling.  It is really bizarre.  This has been going on since the start of all this a year ago and now I am nitpicking everything just to find something, trying to find a reason.  

I ordered the two books suzi-q suggested.  My library is receiving them from another branch so I should have them by the end of the week.  If I get a hold of the anxiety issue will the PHYSICAL pain go AWAY???

Thanks again.
If your physical pain is caused by your anxiety, then yes, your symptoms WILL GO AWAY!  Do lots of self-talk and push yourself a little at a time.  It is a long process, but you can take control back over your mind.  Stop dwelling on all symptoms...they will continue to add up!  Read a book or dance silly around your house to your favorite music....cook a recipe...anything that required brain power to be on something else....YES IT IS HARD...VERY HARD!  But you CAN succeed!  I am still waiting for my books also!  We will discuss them on this post when we read them....HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE ALL GOOD THINGS!  BEST TO YOU!!!
I SWARE by the Linden Method. It was my crutch through this whole thing. The program I found online here is the address..http://www.panic-anxiety.com/
The program has over 10,000 recovered anxiety sufferers. I tried books too but it wasnt enough. The method is interactive and you can listen to the exercises beofre bed and first thing in the morning it literally changed the patterns of my thought and I didnt even know it. Every morning I listened to the exercises and I felt myself becoming stronger again like my "OLD" self :) which is now my NEW self:) Good luck I just really wanted to share my success because I believe it can work for you too... Believe me I have nothing to gain besides the fact that I have helped some one who is going through a life challenge.
Thank you for responding.  I have seen the Linden Method online and often wondered about it's ability to "cure".  I seem to be doing worse and no amount of deep breathing, self talk or distraction is helping.  Last night my chest hurt so bad if I had not of spent the last year in and out of doctor's office and ER with normal results, I would have gone to the ER.  I used to think it was too expensive, now I am starting to wondering if it could have been the cheapest way "out".  Thanks again.
I just ordered it on amazon.  it was 138 instead of the normal 177.  Wish me luck!
all i have to say is read this website. IT cured my panic attacks 100%. It  may  not do that same for you but its worth a try. I know what your going through and it sucks!!!!!!anyways keep your head high and please read this website a lady gave it to me when i was having pani attacks www.geocities.com/spiroll2/stoppa.htm if that doesnt work try putting a L at the end i cant remeber if an L is supposed to be there or not. Please let me know if this helpes you or conforts you in any way:)...also STOP taking medication is is soooo horible foryou, the problem is mentaly, and medications is not the answer....if you can afford it do HYPNOTYSING(cant spell haha) heard that 100% effective!!!!
YEA!!!  Good for you!!!  I wish you only the best and will be sending you lots of good thoughts.  Let me know how it goes, I'll be praying for you!!

I suffer everyday with anxiety, and there is no reason for me to have it. When I go to the doctors he kinds of acts like I am there just to get a perscription and not actually to treat what is wrong. I don't feel go any day. Iget headaces, nervouseness, sick to my stomach, my eyes are sensitive to light, I'm tired all the time and I have no energy. Somebody please tell me what to do!
i believe that anxiety is NOT normal. anxiety- a relatively permanent state of worry and nervousness occurring in a variety of mental disorders, usually accompanied by compulsive behavior or attacks of panic. people aren't naturally born like that. becasue it happens when you are not worried you know that worry or nervousness doesnt cause anxiety. smoking cigarrettes causes anxiety. monosodium glutemate (a chemial put in food) causes wholes in the brain which would explain the mental disorders and causes anxiety. caffeine causes anxiety. tell me what you think :)
I had my panic attck 6 months ago as the result of reading many books about heart attack.then i went to many cardiologists.the results were my heart ok.until february i really realized that everythng was ok physically.now i am not scared if my symptoms are physical illness.i tried linden method,doesnt seem to work for me.because linden methom requires doing fun activities we like and enjoy doing EVERY WAKING MOMENT.is that possible?now what i experience is i cant sleep soundly at nite.i cant take a nap because everytime i am about to fall asleep,i wake up.it makes me stres and anxious.in the morning,i get up at 4.confused what to do.still sleepy but cant sleep anymore.then i cant stay calm anywhere,even in the bedroom.i just move around,walking,cycling,until i feel tired,and try to sleep but i cant.i rarely have panic attack but everyday i am confused and anxious without reason.i am not taking med.
I am 23 years old and about 2 months ago had a panic attack out of no where.  And ever since that day, I have had horrible chest pains, head aches, body aches, back aches, tingly arms and legs.  Most the symptoms come and go, but the one that is constant seems to be the chest pains.  I am over weight ,so I worry that its a heart attack.  I have been to the ER before and had an EKG done and had chest x rays, and everything came back normal.  My regular doctor has taken blood tests to check for diabetes and cardiac levels, and everything came back fine.  I am seeing a cardiologist June 4th.  The pain usually is on the left side of my chest, but since i am constantly thinking about it sometimes it goes in the middle of the chest.   I get heartburn really badly and burp up sour stuff.  Maybe its GERD?  But i get those symptoms well before I eat and well after I eat, so I dont know.  Maybe its anxiety, but im convinced its something else.  And until I see the cardilogist on june 4th and they do the stress chess and do an ultra sound on my heart, then i am going to continue to worry its a heart attack.  many times i want to go to the ER for these symptoms.  But i guess, its been going on 2 months, and im still here, so odds are that it is anxiety, and yeah, its hard for me to believe anxiety causes this.  I am constantly thinking about it.  even when i feel normal, i think about it because im not used to feeling normal.  If the cadiologist tells me my heart is good, then i am going to have to come to the realization that its anxiety.  I really do worry that its a heart problem though.
Anxiety can be a horrible thing to have. The worst thing is when you have it and you don't even know why. I have been currently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and i still have it. My most common symptoms are Heart Palpitations and head, hands and teeth shakes/tremors. The only way you can help your anxiety is to think happier thoughts. As soon as you start thinking things like this get rid of them. You can either use medication which can help with the symptoms or you can get help via other means. It can be constantly on your mind and you are wondering why especially if you have it any your not even anxious about anything. I am going through exactly what you are so you know you are not alone. p.s thinking about it can prolong it and make it worse. Good Luck
i think i have the same thing but my chest gets hot sometimes and goes away after a while does anyone feel that also?
hi everyone! first off id just like to say that im glad im not the only one out there...its so easy to feel alone when you have anxiety. i am 21, in my final year of college and one night out of the blue i shot out of bed thinking i was going to die...my heart was racing, i felt disconnected from my body and i feel like i was possibly hallucinating a bit. i got myself to the hospital and they did an EKG which came back normal and all my blood tests came back normal, ever since then i have been having this kind of dull nagging weird anxietyish feeling all day and night. the doctors gave me ativan to take which helped alot! i took ativan once a day for 2 days and i felt back to normal, however on reccomendation of the doctor in the hospital i went to see a psychiatrist who took me off the ativan and switched to me clonazepam. i must say i dont like it....he has me taking half of a .5mg pill twice a day (along with 30 mins of cardio a day) i feel like it does not work!- im not overly anxious but the dull anxious feeling is still there and i feel like im "spaced" most of the time, he said if i feel like its not working i shud up my dose to a full .5mg twice a day. im going to try that tomorrow and see how i feel but if that does not work should i go back and ask to be put back on the ativan? im scared...........
I have recently found out i have anxiety,and i also have had 2 panic attacks.I have been to the ER many times cause i thought there was something seriously wrong with me! Today i dont have alot of attacks but i always feel horrible I feel weak and my eyes are sensitive and if i look at something for too long im dizzy and sometimes i feel like im just going to pass out,and my chest hurts does anyone else get like this?I can feel calm and still have these symptoms.It scares me cause i stay home with my 2 little boys and i done want to faint on them or anything.
Anxiety can cause all the symptoms you mention.  You don't have to feel anxious to be suffering from anxiety.  Quite frequently you do not feel anxious but instead suffer physical ailments which make the diagnosis of anxiety hard to believe.  Anxiety disorder is a nervous system 'out of wack'.  Since it controls the whole body the symptoms of this disturbance can be just about anywhere.   Some are more common then others and yours are in that catergory.  i'm sure you'll see many speaking of the same problems as you here on this forum.  
If you haven't already, i suggest you make an appointment for a good physical exam and complete blood work.  Have your thyroid checked and blood sugar levels as well.   Then I suggest you make an appointment with a pschiatrist since they are the best trained to deal with anxiety disorders.  They can help you get back to normal as quickly as possible.
Let us know how you make out. take care
You couldn't have said it much better. Anxiety can come on anytime, anywhere. It can cause any physical symptom *imaginable. Therapy is the "nicest way". Medicine is quite effect but have long usage and terrible withdrawals. I've suffered with GAD for 4 years; it ruined and controlled my life. Paxil has worked great for me so far. Been on it for five months now. To say I was reborn would be an understatement. The most efficient way would be therapy along with minimum medication.

D
IF anyone knows any natural treatments please tell us or mail me ***** . ****** @ ***** . ***

I heard magnesium and amino acids help a lot!!!
Hi, I am glad i found this forum. I recently got in a car accident that multiplied my anxiety. I have been having GAD and some time panic anxiety for last 7-8 years but recently i went through negative times that made me panic ridden, fearful and insomnic. Negative thoughts were all in my mind  at night and sometimes i cried. First i took some homeopathic medication for mental anxiety that helped. Recently started with Etizolam 0.5 mg. The first dose and i felt good. The doctor also recommended me Propranolol 10 mg but i am anxious taking it because of side effects. I will check with doctor if i can just take Etizolam and also continue homeopathic medication. Also planning to start yoga and meditation regularly to get out of situation I am in. Will keep you all posted on the progress. I wish everyone very healthy recovery and do believe that together we can definately beat anxiety.
There is always a reason. I don't think it's normal for ANYONE to be stuck in a permanent state of anxiety, and there is always a cause (whether you find it or not).

I was lucky enough to find my cause, and I am doing a lot better.

The anxiety I had was never mental, and it wasn't in my head. In fact part of the anxiety is actually partially caused by a type of porphyria (from the liver, not the brain).

Doctors don't understand anxiety. In my case, it was a neurological disorder and I had other neurological symptoms as well.

I still post occasionally to make people realize that anxiety can stem from disease, and if you are persistent, the root cause(s) can be found.

People here unwillingly gave me bad advice, and I am glad I listened to myself and saw dozens of doctors without giving up.
Adding to my post above:

I had many symptoms. However, in the world of anxiety, people like to associate ANY symptom with anxiety.
There are two reasons for anxiety to come on for NO reason:

1. Physical Underlying cause or Psychological stress/trauma.
2. Patients of chronic Anxiety Disorder suffer from panic attacks for no apparent reasons.
Does anyone get also feeling of fear for no reason thru day? This happened after panic attack because my depersonalization/derealization increased andi got scared . Now i get feeling of fear for no reason like there is no triggers for it and also feeling of intense saddnes wanting to cry but cant thru day in waves. There seems to be no triggers it just happens out of the blue. Does anyone else have this? please email me *****.***@****

Thanks!!!
I have just started experiencing a sort of anxiety, which I think comes from my lack of confidence. I can't function normally in a group: when I talk, I get out of breath and can stop in the middle of the phrase. I am constantly afraid that I'll do something wrong and because of that I behave differently with different people... I am very afraid. Especially because I'm so young. I hate thinking that I have some sort of mental illness already now. And scared even to think of what it will develop into in the future.
I have panic disorder really bad it got worse last night. You see I am on prescription pain medication for my endometriosis and lately I have been getting shallow breathing like i cannot get enough air im super obsessed with checking my heart rate and pulse. I went into the er last nite and even my doctor a month ago to get a bunch of lab work done and everything was fine! Sometimes I just need the reassurance to relieve my anxiety symptoms I try and tell my parents or others around me but they think i'm being a burden or overexaturating. Sometimes just being @ an er or doctor is comforting because I feel like the nurses care about you and what your going through and that makes me feel not so alone or that i'm going crazy. I would love to see a psychiatrist but im just a college student with one job I can't afford it so I just find ways myself to get over my attacks. Some of the symptoms i get are (tingling, sometimes chest pain, shallow breathing is the scariest feels like i can't get enough air, fatigue, fainting, derealization, irritability especially if i can't get to a doctor fast enough, overwhelming crying, and etc.. I don't want to take antidepressants they have never worked for me and I believe there is a herbal and psychological way to help my symptoms. I've never felt so alone and depressed lately...anxiety can come on whenever especially when your super stressed or alone everyone has different inputs that lead to anxiety.
Im 21 & have wat I think is anxiety Ive been having these symptoms for almost 3months Ive been tried on 2 anit depressants citlopram & zoloft at which both made me worse. Idk wat to do I have no insurance & each time I go to the doc it cost me $50 just for them 2 put me on sumthing thts gonna make me vomit all nite or panic 10xs worse. Idk wats up with my body but I worry the same thing 24/7 I always feel n a daze & confused like idk y im alive but at the same time im terrified of dying it doesnt make sense to me. My doctor says she also thinks I have depression & wants me 2 go 2 a counceling I however cant afford tht! :( Idk wat caused mine but anxiety runs n my family & my brother drowned 2yrs ago maybe my stress had just been building up. Idk but I constantly worry when and if itll go away I barely feel normal anymore and when I do im constantly worrying when itll all come back.
Hi about 2 months ago I started a group called the anxiety, panic and phobia support group telephone conference for people who suffered from anxiety disorders.  It is an all volunteer peer to peer support group that meets every 2nd Sunday of the month at 6pm eastern standard time.  The next meeting is Sunday July 10, 2011 at 6pm EST. This meeting will have a former sufferer of anxiety disorder as our guest speaker.  If you are interested, please email me at ***@**** for the call in number and access code.  Long distance charges do apply for the call but most people have long distance services on their phone.
I'm 19 yrs old n one day I was driving to corpus when all of a sudden bam I'm laying on the side of the road waiting for ems to arrive I thought i was having a heart attack n I've never felt such a scary feeling in my life I went threw evry test they had n everything came back fine never had the problem again.  Bout a month later I got bit by a rattlesnake at work n ever since then I've had anxiety everyday even when I stay at home. Now for sum reason when I have panic attacks n anxiety symptoms I think I'm poisoned by a snake n now matter what I do I can't get that thought outta my head my doctor put me on xanax n prozac n one day I had a full blown panic attack n just happen to be by the hospital n I was convinced a coral snake bit me when I hadn't even seen one around only cause the nite before I looked up the symptoms.. after an allergic reaction to the shot he gave me to calm down n a long nite admired in the hospital he proscribed me symbyax 25 mg fluxotine n 3 mg of an anti psychotic to get the snake idea outta my head, some ppl swear by the medicine but only after now taking it for two weeks it has my eyes hurting n seeing spots n now back to prozac n xanax if anyone has similar problems like this let me know I'm not alone or any kind of recommendations for medicines to help me get on with my life. I don't feel like myself any more and had to quit my job because of the circumstances I'm going threw
Josh I also see spots but just outta my left eye I freak out thinking its a brain tumor & tht Im gonna die any minute. But everyone just tells me tht I prolly should just get my eyes checked. I worry abt things tht I know arent true also like u with the snake bite u kno u werent bitten but at the same time u stress over it. I read online tht if one or both of ur parents had anxiety ur up to 10xs more likely to get it cuz its automatically n ur genes, Ive also been tried on xanax but didnt think it really helped
I also have a ? does anyone else on here feel confused at times or n a daze? Maybe like lifes not real or ur living n a dream? This is the most symptom I have almost 24/7 tht I cant shake.
Im the same way and some times the burning in my chest wakes me up at night. My First panic attack i was in a groceri store and felt dizzy. Two mins later i was in a ambuelence thinking i was dieing because i have never experienced anything like that in my whole 23 years of life. After that first panic attack, They Have Happened every single day, Im still seeking help for it and they say your mind is a powerful thing and its all in your head, Very hard to get over the what if thing, its turned me into a hypercondriac, even though everything as subsided a few i know how it feels so i hope you find some help soon and if anything works Let me Know :)
Hi Guys

Reading all these comments, i have suffered from anxiety myself more so since the loss of my mother and problems in my life... i do not believe it happens for NO REASON.. nothing happens for no reason.. it comes from somewhere and usually if you look deep enough into your life you can usually find the answer. Either past relationships, family problems, friends, partners, work, money, illness, etc.. there is something that brings on these thoughts and feelings to your body and its your bodies way of telling you, you need to do something about this.. You could be possibly not listening to your bodies needs. I read a very good book called How to Heal your body A-Z by louise Hay, a women who went through alot of problems herself and was dignosed with cancer and she asked to doctors to give her 6 months to change her mind set and look at her past and problems and she did, she had a hard life as a young child with alot of problems and when she started to face these problems and looked at her attitude to life she went back 6 months later with her different look and attitude to life and the cancer had GONE!

How u handle and deal with situations in your life are big things letting problems sadness and pain bulid up in our bodies and mind it will come out in sickness.. just like working non-stop always on the go not stopping and taking time out your body gives up get sick etc.. same thing!!!

For myself changing my mind set and been introduced to Light Therapy and talking has helped me UNBELIEVABLY, i now treat people with this light therapy and have helped so many clients. I would recomened doing everything possible before hitting Meds!!! i believe they are a quick fix that we do not need... we need to help people deal with problems over come them and become stronger people not take medication and think it goes away it does not!! Now i am no expect on meds nor am i a doctor but a am honest about what i see and how i have helped others without such thing..

It is always worth giving everything a go... you have got nothing to lose..

I am 16 and i recently started suffering from anxiety, my chest is tight constantly and it sorta burns. My muscles in my back are tight too and i feel really tired almost like i wanna faint and at night when i try to sleep i get really bad tremors. I have never experienced anything like this before till i got sick (dengue fever) and ended up in the hospital. I'm cured from the dengue now but i still can't help thinking that it's there and it's gonna make me sick. I keep thinking that the anxiety is gonna kill me or that im gonna suffer from it forever. I haven't been to school in a couple days and just the thought of having to travel anywhere kinda spooks me. I don't wanna take any meds because the side effects scare me but i was prescribed Apo Alpraz by my doctor. I made an appointment to see a psychologist but just the thought of having to wait three whole days to see her is making me more anxious. I can't stop the thoughts of "what if" and they just make me feel worse. Any suggestions?
I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life. I had to take time off school as a teenager and I recently quit my job because of it. The good news is, I have felt what you're feeling and I have experienced periods of time (years) where an attack doesnt hit me. So there is some relief and that was without medication. I did however, take medication for it (effexor) when it was particularly bad and it seemed to help A LOT. There werent any side effects either except when I came off it, but those were mild. Anyways, I'm just trying to say I know how you feel I think because anxiety took some of the best years of my life away because I constantly thought I was going to die before the day was done. BUT I didnt. So, don't give up and maybe try seeing a counsellor (it helped me a lot) or consider the medication even if is just for a short period of time. Otherwise, try to identify any emotional stress that could be causing your anxiety. I had some issues I didnt realise were there that definately made my anxiety worse. Hope this helps.
I've been battling anxiety for 7 months ever since my first panic attack when I was watching a movie it suddenly hit me. I didn't know how to control it and it lasted 5 hours. For a week straight inward unsure weather I was dead or alive, it was a different world and everything changed. I began having lots of episodes and chest pains, and it went on for about 5 months and it sucked. I thought it was heart related to I took a stress test but everything was perfect. The best advice I can give to anyone looking to cure your anxiety NATURALLY is rest. Rest rest and more rest. Twice a week or more have a lavender bath for About an hour, with relaxing music before I go to sleep. Use incents, the scent helps ur free your mind and puts you to sleep. SNAP OUT of it if u think ur anxious, take 10 minutes, sit, close your eyes and breath. Focusing on breathing for 4 minutes consecutively a day will HELP a lot. Don't go over 14 breaths per minute.

PROPER MEALS AND DIET WITH EXCERSISE is a major key to beating Anxiety, stress or any other issues!

Yes I'm only a 19 year old male but trust me from personal experience I beat my own anxiety on my own path with no doctors or medications!! I'm not fully recoverred but I would say I'm 70% over it within 8 months!!

If you ever need anything! Questions, comments I'm here for you! Email me at ***@**** and I'll reply back!

Good luck on your journey to get life back where it's suppose to be!!

-moe
Email is
Moemoe01 atttt live *******
. Cccoom
I was told for the last six months that my chest pain was "anxiety." Yes, I tend to get anxiety, but it's because of symptoms. I don't believe anxiety causes the symptoms. The symptoms come first, and the anxiety makes them even worse. The chest pain I was feeling turned out to be an 80% blockage in one of my coronary arteries. Had stent put it. So much for it just being anxiety, huh?
I also just realized i have anxiety. Always been a hypocondriact, thinking something was constantly wrong with me. My head started having weird pains last week in only one spot on my forehead...only lasted like 30 seconds. and aren't very painful, just annoying. so i googled it and convinced myself its a brain tumor. MISTAKE. googling it makes it ten times worse. I am starting to realize its all in my head and the reason i have these symptoms is because I am constantly thinking about it. literally everytime i have a head zap, i call them...i sit and dwell and think "this is not normal." When in reality, the brain is the most powerful organ. If we train our mind to think somethings wrong, physical symptoms occur. I find it most comforting when i'm not reading these posts or thinking about it. And i'm starting to see a thearpist to work on the issue. Hope you all are doing well. WE CAN KICK THIS ANXIETY!!!!!

Did you have a EKG and it came back good?
Also what were your symtoms (symptoms) like?
I am 15 and I recently moved from my dads house to my moms. Before,, I lived in Georgia and now I live in mississippi. This anxiety came out of NO WHERE. I've had the chest pains, and I'm emotionally numb. It's like I feel no emotion. I play basketball and it helps ALOT! all I have to say it that I just need help controlling it. I've had it for a some months now and it isn't anything to play with. i've read some other posts and I agree that we just need to calm down and realize that everything is going to be okay. This will not control us. We won't let it. God bless you guys. Hope you guys get through it.
Last april I woke up having a nocturnal panic attack and I didn't know what it was. I thought I was having a heart attack and then everything went blurry. I called an ambulance and they said I was just having a panic attack. 2 months later I started to get ringing in my ears and then that went away. I had trouble going to sleep after that. I started to take ativan for a month and once I stoped taking it, the anxiety got a million times worse. Every day since september it feels like a im standing in water and a wave is hitting my body. Some days my eyes are really sensitive to light ( I have to wear sunglasses inside my house) . I feel tired a lot. I go to the gym a lot and I work. There is nothing stressfull going on in my life the panic attacks came out of no where. I have muscle twitching all over my body and buzzing sensations in my left leg. My head and body always feels light. I went to the ER they said my chest xrays were good and the blood test was fine. I cant stop thinking about having anothing panic attack no matter what I do. I keep worrying about whats going on with me and I think its something else other than anxiety. This happens to me from morning till night it wont go away. Does anyone else have problems like this?
I have the same problem constant anxiety almost everyday. Some days are really bad and some days i can deal with. I dont know where it came from i dont think its stress because im only 16... I dont know where it came from ive thought about it but just dont know. I do have depression so could they be linked together maybe?
I have anxiety everyday, some days are worse than others.  I have been dealing with this for about 4 months now and it just came out of the blue.  I thain when it started was when the doctor prescrided me to have a colonasapy.  I was scared out of my wits to be put under and when I went to have it done is whem I had my first full blown panic attack.  I thought I was dying rright than and there in that doctors office.  Now ever since that I have them all the time.  The anxiey is so bad at times I feel like I'm soffacating and can't breath.  I have chest pains and feel faint at tmes, I also have heart papations that scare me and I think I'm having an heart attack.  I have been to an heart doctor, regular doctor, ER room and have spent so much money trieing to find out what is wrong with me.  All the test have came out clean.  I'm fine and they tell me it is just anxiety.  and put me on xanex.  I try not to take it because they say it is addicting.  I wish this would just go away, it scares me all the time.  I try not to think about it, but how can you not, it is controlling my life.  I'm afraid to go anywhere  for the thought that one is going to hit me anywhere.  For the people that are dealing with this I do feel for you and know what you are going though.  I would not wish this on my worst ememy.  Hopefully we find light and the end of the tunnel soon.  good luck to all of you and god bless.
I find this problem alot when i drive or am at work I feel like my heart will explode. WHY??? i feel like im waiting for something MAJOR or that feeling u get when u r a kid and ur coming hometoo late and know u will face punishment soon sometimes i feel like i dont get a sufficiant breath of air where im like hyperventalating.
Hi I'm looking for advice on my issue. I beileve it to be anxiety but i've never been diagnosed with it by a doctor. To Start off I use to didn't get these symptoms. They started happening every once in a while about 3 years ago. They were just random every other month or so. Now it's to the point where it's three times a month but this week it has gotten even worse. Yesterday I was at the store and leading up to that moment I was having sharp pain here and there in my chest. So after a few seconds all of a sudden I felt like my air was knocked right out of me, it felt like something dropped in my chest and my heart started beating to the point where if I set still my body would be visibly out control shaking. Then I got dizzy and saw black blotches everywhere and I felt that I was about to fall over.  I left my husband in the store and ran to the car because my neck felt hot and I was trying to get my heart beat down. This is the longest it's lasted. Usually if I'm at home I lay flat on my back and I start breathing normally again and my heart beat slows down. But it scares me cause I done heard a lot of things it could be. After the attack has passed I describe the feeling as exhausted, relief and like I'd been fighting. Feels like someone releasing my heart from their grasps. Have any of you had attacks like this? It worries me. Today I started feeling light headed, anxious, and had to keep breathing hard because it hurt when I tried to raise my head up. I felt so weak. Right now my chest still hurts and I'm only 22 please help me
That sounds more like depression than anxiety to me, though I'm no MD.  But I've also heard that anxiety/panic attacks can cause the sufferer to experience depression, so maybe both?
'WHAT IF" the anxiety phrase...When I was going through my worst stages of anxiety the "what if" would also drive me crazy...actually I feared I was crazy or going crazy. I learned to quieten my thoughts and this took PLENTY of concentration and practice. It also gave me brief periods of peace which gave me inspiration to continue practicing ..
I like what you said, can I ask what you have to do to practice? I have been going with this for some time, since I was maybe 8 but than it was only depression. Started getting worse when I was 15 with the panic attacks, didn't want to go out. Now I am 19 much prefer all the crying and can't breathe than this horrible ball lodged in my belly, that makes me feel desperate with fear, which I can't really find reason too. Unless it was the factor of being sexually abused when I was 8, and most of my young childhood bullied by kids, and older adults who maybe were suppose to make feel safe. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I wish I was normal. even though that sounds selfish and I should be thankful for all the good things in my life.
Become FRIENDS ?? with ANXIETY??  OMG..this illness/disease has been eating my soul for years..that would be like making friends with Satan cause he won't leave you alone..I would have lost it if my doctor ever suggested that !!.....most meds don't work for me ...or I am allergic to them.
The only things that help me are constant movement ...exercise...music, and massage/rubbing my diaphragm...and these are things you can't do everywhere...lol.....or constantly..... I am praying for something that is non addictive and helps...you can only take so much xanax and still function..or become a drug addict....HATE ANXIETY !!
I am in the EXACT same boat as you right now. :( You're not alone.
I suffer too. Have suffered from anxiety since my first born child who is almost 13 now. I'm only 33 and don't want to continue this way. I was doing really well for months and now I'm back down. Eating not well, not sleeping good. Wake up jittery. It's so hard. I just ordered the two books susyq said. I'm looking forward to reading them. Going to church helps me too had in the pFrom: Kara
Date: July 8, 2013, 6:15:37 PM EDT
To: Kara , Timast but I'm so bad now I haven't gone. I need to get going again along with exercising too. Thanks for posting your stories it has really helped me.
Hi I am 61 years old and when I was in my mid 30's I had an anxiety attacks for what I thought were for no reason. After trying meds which only made me feel like I was having a heart attack, I started having counselling. She just talked to me and asked questions about my life. Over weeks this carried on and suddenly one day I just started crying during one of these sessions and I sobbed and sobbed. It actually hurt. Over the weeks I came to realise I had always tried to be strong and look after others. I hadn't looked after myself and asked for help. The problems hadn't been big but had built up over the years. I didn't think they were big because I was used to helping others. The best things I learnt was to stop feeding my sub conscious with negative thoughts. To try and have a good cry now and then and to tell myself that when I am feeling bad, that  I am allowed to feel like this. (Because there is usually a reason)
For 30 years all of the above has worked.
Ask your doctor about Ativan
It's AMAZING this thread is continuing some 7 years later!  Wow.  

Short answer:  yes.  Unexplained anxiety/panics can come out of nowhere and hit you like a ton of bricks.  

There's some underlying reasons, however, that brought about the manifestation of your sudden anxiety.  In my case it dates way way back to the way my mother put fear about things in me at a very early age, and for years.  Why it came out years later at a specific point in my life?  Who knows?  Probably many variables such as where I was in life, certain stresses, etc.  
I am currently experiencing the same feeling. Sometimes it slightly comes and goes. However, I've been feeling constantly stressed and worried and I don't know why. I find it hard to concentrate and sometimes my body temperature can make me feel like I'm burning up and I start sweating. My body temperature also has the tendency to rapidly change. I just want it to go away, because it makes me feel like I'm not in control.
I would love to join this group.I do ave phobia and its taking over my life.I do not leave the house,dont see my family,they live an hour away,and I have a omfort zonr in town.If I get out of my one,i panic.This has gone on for years,i really need some help with this..please,i would love to join this telephone group..Cant get to a therapist because of this terrible phobia.I WANT MY LIFE BACK.PLEASE
I came across this forum today after doing some research on anxiety. At the start of this week I all of a sudden started feeling anxious and having what I assume to be mini panic attacks. I have never felt like this before and it's really throwing me for a loop as I am usually a very happy-go-lucky type of person. I have felt like this for five days now but today was definitely the worst, I just started gagging and almost threw up. Has that ever happened to anyone before? All of a sudden (the day this started happening) I felt like I started questioning my sexual orientation and I don't know if all this just stems from that or vice versa. Can the whole sexual orientation thing cause all of this? I feel like I just constantly have a million thoughts going on in my head and I can't turn them off and I feel like I have a constant beating in my chest. All of a sudden I just started feeling indifferent about things, whether it be a tv show, something I'm reading, whatever, and I don't know if that is all anxiety related? I'm also wondering if this could all just be hormones in that I am starting my menstrual cycle at the same time all of these symptoms appeared? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
mishymoshymarcy "Emotions are only a tempor... Comment
1 hr ago
gymdandee Great Comment
remar commented on Doctors Appt.