Anxiety Community
can being sick with a sinus infection make anxiety flare up?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

I have a sinus infection. I also have had anxiety and depression issues flare up earlier this summer. I was given a new antidepressant and anti psychotic, and was feeling almost normal, when I came down with a sinus infection. On Monday, I went to the doctor. I was given a sinus cocktail shot, which contains benadryl and steroids, and cefzil which is an antibiotic. By Tues afternoon, I was starting to feel nervous and antsy. Now, Wed morning, I am very sleepy, shaky, crying and feel like I am jumping out of my skin. Does this sound like a reaction to the steroid in the sinus cocktail shot, or to the antibiotic? It has me worried that I am having another spell.... has anyone ever had this type of reaction?
I haven't had a reaction to medicine for clearing up a sinus infection, but I definitely have had anxiety while having a sinus infection.  I believe it s due to some of the symptoms with difficulty breathing, etc.  Some of the symptoms mimic anxiety so your brain can get tricked then you over analyze your symptoms and it brings out some anxiety.  The steroids could definitely be causing some extra anxiety as well.  I originally got panic attacks for taking steroids for asthma (which was misdiagnosed and really was a severe sinus infection).  I don't believe the antibiotic would be giving you the anxiety.  Just bring these symptoms up to your doctor if you feel bad.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your input. It doesn't take much for me to get anxious and worried.... the doctor seems to think its a reaction to my antibiotic, but I am wondering if its in fact from the steroid shot..... its hard concentrating when I feel this jittery and nervous. I feel just like I did when I was going thru my anxiety issues this summer, and I am scared to death this has messed me up again. I don't want to  have to start all over with new meds and such. I am hoping this is from the steroids and that I will start to feel better as the days go on and the steroid wears off.
Avatar n tn
Hi Kristi, I just wanted to let you know that both my daughter & I have had a serious reaction of depression to a couple of antibiotics, doxycycline and omnicef.  It was amazing how things felt completely hopeless on the medicine and then a complete turnaround within a day or two of stopping.  I am sure some antibiotics could cause anxiety as well which is similar.  Its probably good to be aware that that could be a side-effect when on those meds.  Hope that reassures you!
i too suffer from bad anxiety and depression and also over the last week had very bed sinus infection which i suffer alot from... and everytime i get sinus problems i get bad anxiety because all the miscles in my neck face and head are tence due to sinuses and anxiety feeds off tension its a circle because u cant stop the tension  because of the inflamed blood vessels that comes with sinuses...... hope im making sence...!! try relaxing which is hard i know... but tence every musle in your body one by one i start with feet first and work up holding to a count of 5 then release and repeat, breathing through your belly.. i little  tension is realesed with this and anxiety will go down when your anxiety is high u cant concertrat... so dont..! empty your mind and just think of how tensed then relaxed your muscles are.

hope this helps
tracy
mishymoshymarcy If you think you've tried y... Comment
rocketgirl1210 I have returned! :) Comment
refills, and 10356 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Apr 30
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms