Anxiety Community
car anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

car anxiety

I am a healthy 27 year old nurse with 2 wonderful kids, I have never had problems traveling long distances in car, I have practically done it my entire life with my parents due to my dads job. Well about 8 years ago after I had my first son I started noticing my preoccupation while driving when my son was with me of picturing us crashing and just
The cars on side of me causing us to crash, I figured it was just being a new young mom but now when I drive long distances I just want to jump out of my skin, my heart is racing, biting my nails, clenching the side of my seat, its like I'm secretly bracing for an impact when someone is driving, I am actually starting to complain to my boyfriend to keep on the road or ridiculous things cause my eyes are just fixed to the road. When I drive I'm sitting extremely rigid and straight up with white knuckles sometimes! I live 5 minutes from work so I noticed I don't really get the same feelings, my kids ride the bus to school and then I pick them up 5 minutes home. If I have to drive to my parents which is 10 minutes there, 10 minutes back if not enough time passed from visiting I get like that the ride home. I'm planning to go to new orleans after lunch and I am already thinking about the way I feel and its overwhelming but at the same time this is absolutely ridiculous! Why am I feeling like this? I know this must be an anxiety but I have nothing going on in my life, my life is great, few years ago I went through bad divorce and the kids had a rough time, we all did but we did counseling, I had to temporarily take wellbutrin, lexapro, and ativan but after a year I got off everything but the Wellbutrin and I have been off that for 3 years now. I really don't want to get on anything, I didn't exactly like the side effects, I am willing to try natural things, I just don't know what to do, I can't understand why I feel the way I do, I don't want this to get worse and in 10 years I won't be able to drive at all.
Tags: Anxiety, car
Hi Pepper, driving is dangerous and your fear is normal. Being in a car is not an extension of our own bodies and also, as you mention, there are the other cars around you that you cant control. Ive been driving for 40 years without an accident. This is due to being active and proactive. When i am driving, i also watch out for the other cars and project there movements. I used to drive a taxi so my experience is a bit better than the average person. Its ok to tell your husband to be careful as 4 eyes are better than 2.
The thing to all this is this. If there were no cars think about how your life would be.
There is a risk but also there is a great benefit to driving and the benefit really outweighs the risks.
So look at driving as a privilege and because of cars our lives are better.
It sounds like driving anxiety. I have that as do many other people so you are not alone. It has been my experience that herbal remedies do not work on any severe anxiety or depression. I do however understand not liking side effects of prescription drugs.
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
Dalubaba commented on photo