Anxiety Community
coffee! good or bad?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

coffee! good or bad?

Before i suffered with anxiety i used to drink alot of coffee to get me through my day, but since been diagonosed everytime i have coffee or anything with caffine in it i get soo nervous and it sets my anxiety off! does any1 else have these problems? also is there any alternatives i could try as i miss my cup of coffee on a morning? thanks
see:
http://stresshelp.tripod.com/id7.html

" Research has indicated that caffeine can interfere with our brain chemistry and therefore can be a factor in contributing to exacerbating stress, anxiety, panic, depression and insomnia. Caffeine stimulates the release of excess stress hormones via its stimulant effects on the adrenal glands. it stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin which lowers blood sugar so the body has to compensate by releasing stress hormones which cause the body to release energy, fat and glucose reserves to stabilize blood sugar levels"
i couldnt drink coke cola,my heart used to race,they do reckon it is the caffine in it all,have you tried decafe coffee,that might help
Caffeine will definitely worsen your anxiety...So, anything with caffeine in it will have this effect (soda, coffee, tea, etc.).  You will also want to avoid energy drinks.  Technically, the effect is more physical than mental, but when you feel the same physical effects as you do from an anxiety attack (racing heart, palpitations, sweating, shakes, etc.), you automatically link it to anxiety and begin to give yourself anxiety.

If you just love the taste of the coffee, why don't you drink decaf?  That shouldn't have the same effect on you, but it will still allow you the enjoyment of the taste.
Hey,

Ive suffered from anxiety for 5 years now and use to drink alot of pop/coffee only 7 months ago now I quit both. I do not drink caffeine at all. I noticed it did inscrease my anxiety although I guess I never noticed it before because I drank caffeine regularly and when you do quit it you notice a big change. Its not easy though caffeine in my opinion is addictive! Your body craves it for the first 2 months you stop drinking it!! Good luck!

thanks guys for your comments, ill def try decafe infact al try anything to try n ease my anxiety, i mite try giving it up altogether to see what effect it has on me...hopefully the result will be good! thanks again =)
When you drink coffee the cafeine causes a depletion of calcium in the heart, which sometimes causes an irregular heart rate. That is why milk is helpful in coffee.

Normally one drinks coffee, or a cafeeine beverage for the "up".  The problem is you end up drinking many cups.

The trick is to drink grapefruit juice after the coffee. The grapefruit juice maintains the high level of caffeine and enables you to reduce  total intake of caffeine while staying awake and alert much longer without getting "jittery".

Drinking grapefruit juice and coffee is an old truckdrivers trick.

The grapefruit juice that works best is in the little six ounce cans.

If you drink decaf select that which is processed with supercritical carbon dioxide. Until recently this process was unavailable and the decafination was done with dangerous solvents.
BAD BAD BAD...... try decaf coffee if you miss it that much.
Jade59 commented on CRSeaside's status
melimeli commented on mhv's status
Cincy513 commented on Salivary gland disord...