Anxiety Community
dental procedures and anxiety

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

dental procedures and anxiety

Tomorrow I'm going to see an oral surgeon about my wisdom teeth. I've had one out but need the other 3 out as well. The first one was able to be pulled with just novocaine. I'm nervous that the other 3 may need to be cut out. Being put under is pretty much not an option for me due to my anxiety. I'd rather do one at a time than be put under. Can I tell the oral surgeon this if it turns out they think I need surgery? I would sooner keep them in and suffer than be put under. Do docs even listen and work with people?
You can definitely talk to your dentist about your concerns.  That is why they are there and many doctors would like you to take a proactive approach with your health care.  So the answer to your question, in my opinion, is a resounding 'yes.'  Express all of your concerns and talk about your different options with your dentist.  There are other things they can give you without putting you under for the procedure....keep us posted!
Thanks. I'm at the dentist office now. Once I get my xrays I'll know exactly what needs done. So hopefully I have a good dentist that will listen to my concerns.
It was successful. All of my wisdome teeth are grown in so no surgery is necessary. Just good old fashioned teeth pulling. He asked if I wanted to be sedated and I told him no. He offered the laughing gas and I explained how with my anxiety I'm just not comfortable with it and he is completely fine just using a local anaesthetic. That takes a lot of stress and worry out of my life. Luckily I found a really nice dentist who just wants me to comfortable and happy with the procedure. He's even ok with me taking a xanax before getting my teeth pulled if I get overly anxious about it. Such a relief.
Nighthawk61 commented on oral presentation
jameslynn19 is hoping for a good day! Comment
dan5678 is ... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms