Anxiety Community
do I have HIV? Never tested, 12 years, no signs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I have been worried for the past 12 years ever since I heard that a man I had slept with all those years ago had AIDS. I was always too afraid to go get tested, and figured that if I had it, I would know by getting sick, I have never had anything other than the flu, and even getting that is rare. I am pretty healthy. I was considering donating blood, I have always wanted to help out. I am aware that I have HPV, but apparently that is not a concern, and I have never experienced symptoms of this either, other than an abnormal pap test. Anyway, I want to donate blood, but am afraid of hearing back from a doctor, nurse etc. that I cannot donate anymore because I am infected with HIV or AIDS. I know I should just go get checked out, but I am too scared. Can anyone tell me what my chances are of having HIV after 12 years of no symptoms. On a final note. I have an 11 year old son, that I gave birth to 9 months after the possible encountered with an infected individual. He is healthy as can be.
I would go get checked just pray it helps
going to get tested is not an option. the point was, I do not want to know!
Hi Nighteyes, dont be afraid to live life. Life is all we have. In life situations happen and answers are needed. If you donot get tested this will eat at you and cause very big health problems in the long run. I dont think you have hiv as would have shown some immuine weakness symptoms by now.
If you have it and passed it to your child then you needed to be treated. The eariler its caught the better it is.
Again, this is not about if you have HIV, its a matter of doing what right, if you deny this about HIV then it will be something else that you will fear and not deal with later.
This is a matter of principal only.
See, my theory and decision is, if I am gonna die, I am gonna die. I believe that if God wants me, he will take me. I feel the same if I had cancer, I wouldnt want treatment if it was just going to prolong my life for a few months, its not worth the pain, heartache, stress, anxiety etc. My post here was mainly to see if an expert (dr or nurse) may be able to give their opinion of the chances that I may or may not have it.I am perfectly happy NOT knowing for sure!....As I mentioned before, I wanted to get an idea before I go and try and donate blood. I dont want to do that and then have someone coming and telling me I cant cuz I have HIV!!!....I would be like....gee, thanks for telling me! I didnt want to know that!!! I hope someone out there understands what I am saying and how I feel on this matter.
All any expert is determineing your risk factor and having unprotected sex with and HIV person is high risk. How long does it take to show symptoms, some cases takes 20 years. All the info is available. Maybe post this on the HIV forum. I dont think your should donate blood till you know. Would you want blood from a person that has this question?
Im not trying to be mean to you, i am just stating all the information that any of us know. Just go get tested and end this worry. It must be eating at your for a long time. This is only about getting tested and your fear is that you have it. You probably dont.
My blood would be tested before it would be donated, so I am not worried about contaminating anyone else.
Does anyone ELSE have any ideas please?
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
11 mins ago
brice1967 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
27 mins ago
Mynx537 ... Comment
30 mins ago