Anxiety Community
does anyone else have a super fear of storms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

i am 21 and recently have been dealing with horrible anxiety and panic and stress and when it storms i freak and dont know how to deal it could just start sprinkling and i freak and i live where it storms all the time i just wanna know if anyone else has this problem and how the heck do you deal with it?
I have fear when I get thunderstorms let me tell you I get scared. What I do is grab a blanket wrap it around me sit on the couch and I feel better it's sounds a little weird but I feel secured.
I had this problem when I was younger, around 10-12 years old.  My biggest fear was a tornado.  I knew nothing about how weather worked at that time.  My fears were fueled by the unknown, that any low hanging dark cloud would spawn a twister.  

The way I got around that was to learn how weather works and when it really was time to be scared.  I'd suggest that as a way to try and ease the fear of storms.

Storms are natural and occur all over the Earth all day long.  There should always be a healthy fear of storms because lightning is the most dangerous part of the average storm.  Use common sense in that case, stay indoors, away from trees and windows, off the phone.  Don't be the tallest object in a field.  All that stuff we learned in elementary school.  Being inside a vehicle is sometimes regarded as the safest place to be regarding lightning because of the rubber tires.

At any rate, learn about the weather and how it works.  That way you can be the one telling fellow family members/co-workers/etc when it's time to get to safety :)  I enjoy thunderstorms now because I've learned to find the beauty in them. I respect them.  I also know when it's time to take cover which I've only had to do once in 20 years.

The media gravitating to terrible weather stories certainly doesn't help matters...

I also understand your fear and that it's easier to say it than do it.  That's my advice because it really worked for me.  www.nws.noaa.gov is a great site to keep up to date tabs on weather in whatever area you might be in too (if you're in the US that is).  Best of luck to you! :D
I am deathly afraid of storms So bad that I leave my house everytime it rains. I even start to freak out when there is a wind advisory. I dont know how to calm myself. I get so nervous I almost make myself sick. I havent found any wasy to clam this anxiety except to go to a house where i feel safe. Its crazy if you find any way to make yourself get over this I would love to hear it. Do people make fun at you?
i used to have this problem when i was younger like 7--13y/o  my mom worked a lot so i was always home alone. i was more scared of the lightning. when it would storm i would pack up my important toys and get ready to run for the hill. only problem was i didn't have anywhere to run. so i ended up hiding under the covers. Somehow i got over this fear and now i love it when it storms i find it actually more theripudic if anything
I fear storms too!  We live in a mobile home in FLORIDA, lightning capital of the US!  And the hurricanes...OMG!  We get particularly nasty weather this time of year during the transistion from winter to spring that brings tornados.  I have had "mini" panic attacks several times this year alone over storms, and when hurricanes hit Florida I am in a constant state of anxiety/panic.  You're not alone.

Cori
Well I too am afraid of storms. I live in FL and although we dont get too many tornadoes we do get bad thunderstorms though. I have severe weather alerts for both mine and my daughter's cell phones and when it storms I keep my phone next to my bed or in most cases I am up pacing watching weather channel and weatherbug on computer. My husband says stop watching weather all the time but then how will we know what it is doing? I have panic attacks. It has gotten worse since I went through Hurricane Charley, all I can hear is the sound of that wind and debris hitting my house. I am on medication for depression/anxiety and my dr seems to think it will help to relax me alittle when storm season comes in the summer! I feel like it does take over my life. I for once want to not be afraid. My kids aren't but I am, go figure.One time, 2 months,our meteorologist said we had some rain bands coming in from the gulf with some embedded thunderstorms, of course at night. So come 12am like he said I waited and paced and waited, could not sleep. I sat up allllllll night waiting on that and NOTHING NOTHING came. I was so freakin pissed  but the anticipation of it made me wait, but nothing, so the next day my husband said why are you so tired? I told him what happened. He thinks I am quite retarded but oh well. I like knowing that there are other people out there just like me!!!!
Yes  I get anxious about a lot of things (and I'm the one watching the Weather Channel for storms and tornadoes every moment possible in Michigan). But after suffering 2 cardiac events in 5 years the last one last month and being diagnosed with stress induced cardiomyopathy which means ANXIETY CAN KILL all I can do is relax and go with the flow. Our society (media) is full of so many negative things I need to relax and just take everything a day, an hour, a minute, a second at a time. And let my Higher Power help me! Hope this helps!
'Tis the season. When I was in a panic self-help group, there was one person there who had the "storm" thing and if the weather even looked like it was going to get nasty, she was in the middle of the room, behind the sofa. No kidding. Odd as it may sound at first, this helped everyone -even her.

How so? Well, while everyone HAD panic, no one other than she had it about the weather. Someone had it about driving west (but not east) believe it or not. And someone else had it about a particular bridge (and that guy was a delivery driver). My deal was about receiving communion in church, and someone else had...

...you get my drift. Everyone had SOMEthing.  So, what did we do? What we did was to hold her and kiss her and let her know we would lay down our lives to take that first hit of lightning. And so, we gathered around her to protect her. And we also learned that panic IS as panic DOES. We all got better, eventually.

The teaching point here is that, while someone else's panic trigger may make no sense at all to you, in your experience, yours doesnt really fit, either, with theirs. BUT, as every true devotee of the panic arts knows, it doesn't matter: panic IS as panic DOES. That said, you DO get a tiny bit of helpful data. Should it really matter that you drive east, instead of west? Yes and no. Westbound may have more intinsic danger, such as falling rocks or cliffs. But east may be smooth sailing. And that bridge may be basically the same as any other bridge -except for the chunks of concrete falling away from the sides. And communion? But you have SINNED! And are not worthy.

The list goes on.

But, what you get out of this is the realization that the thing that freaks someone ELSE -does not freak you. And the thing that freaks YOU does not bother them. So, obviously, it is something IN YOU that makes the difference.

It is not about the weather, April. It is about YOU. Start with that -and work forward. One day, one great day, we'll walk in an April shower together. Until then, you can bet I'll cover your back. Just make sure you cover mine.
I understand where you are coming from.I am very afraid of bad weather.I go to my sisters during the storms.We live in a mobile home.My kids are grown and moved away and my husband drives cross country and thinks I am crazy..he has even threatened to divorce me on several occasions.I can't help how I feel.The only place I know to go is my sisters.When bad weather approaches I get sick and my chest starts hurting.If anyone has any sugggestions please feel free to share them.
Hi! I am in the same boat as you. 3 weeks ago, I started to panic and didn't know what was happening to me. I was driving at the same time when it was pouring down with rain. I started feeling tingles in my hands and legs and pulled over and had someone call an ambulance for me. I thought I was dying. The ER told me it was a panic attack. I had felt good for the last couple weeks until Mother's Day and it was raining again....boom, another attack. Weather and driving never bothered me before and now I am scared of both. Not to mension...I am in fear of another attack. I have been on Buspar for 3 weeks. It doesn't work for about a month from what I have been told and yesterday, my Doctor prescribed me Xanax on top of the Buspar for immediate relief of an attack. It seems to work for me...but I still get anxious and jittery sometimes. Please contact me if you would like to talk. You are so not alone!
im 15 year old girl and im sufering from pannic attacks also, i cry all the time cuz im so scared, when thunder storms happen my pulse reaches 130 sumtimes or more, body goes numb , i cant breathe and it gets bad,  the weather network is on all the time.! my mom gets very mad at me when its on,. my biiigesttt fear is TORNANDOES im tarrified, i live in canada it can get pretty bad sumtimes, there was a warning earlier today thats why i was on the internet looking to stop my worrying all the time, i just finished my panic attack about and hour and half ago, im trying to find sumone that can help me (please dont mind my righting im just so shakey (shaky) and my spellings really bad but i dont feal like checking it because im just so sick and tired of my panicing so w.e)befor i go to school everyday i check the winds, and if there to high i dont go to school, im failing in school, my friends call me all the time , i dont go out beacuse i dont want a tornando to pop up, so im losing all my friends, i havent gone a full day of school for three months , becuz i get so anxiouse from the weather, (even when it not soposed to be stormy im scared) my life is being controled, i have been like this for about 1 year, i time i was at school i had my first panic attack i didnt know what happend, i went to the office i said i could breath they started freaking so that mad it worse they called an ambulance they called my mom, i thought i was having a heart attack, i had numb hands tingly and also my pulse was about 130, after that day i was having panic attacks about heartattacks , that controled me all last year , now sice last summer i have worried about storms. , iv tried everything, i know everthing about tornandoes how they form ect. i do alot of reasearch,
all i do everyday is sit in the basment with  the blinds open so i can so wut it look like outside and have the weather network on, and my laptop on my lap searching about tornadoes, its achualy so annoying my mom always says your wasting you life, but it true, and i dont know wut to do,PLEASEE HELP ME! =(
I am new to this site but i was looking around and well yea i am really scared of storms also i live in ohio and if there is a tornado warning for like someone in indiana i get all freaked out thinking that the storm is going to hit me. I ALWAYS have been scared of storms but it has got sooo much worse since my some was born he is now 9 months old and i am so scared that something is going to happen. My boyfriend make fun of me bcc when i know there are going to be storm coming i will watch the weather channel all day and be on the weather.com watch to see where the warnings and watches are and when they are going to be here with me. I really need some help I have thought about going to a doctor to see what they can do about it maybe some kinda meds. i dont kno im not crazy just scared really badd of all kids of storms. Just the biggest thing is Tornados though.. Well Thank you for taking your time to read my reply!!
I use to be affraid of storms really bad, but one day out if no where I decided to watch one, and even though i was affraid, at the same time it was amazing. i thought about how storms where something man did not make and that facinated me.. the more i watched the better i got, and i started to realize i was not in control of what happened with the storm.. think about this the next time it storms..
What use to scare me was not the wind or the rain or even the thunder.. it was the way the clouds looked.. what scares you about storms??
Although I'm not bothered by storms, I have enough other phobias to make up for it. People popularly refer it as astrapophobia, keraunophobia, tonitrophobia, astraphobia, brontophobia and ceraunophobia. Not dealing with it is not the answer. Treatments for many types of phobias are readily available. I suggest you see a mental health provider as soon as possible.  Treatments may include psychotherapy and/or medication.
I'm not as young as those who gave their age & I've NEVER been in a tornado or hurricane or the like but am terrified too. I know where I'd go if I did die but the FEAR or PHOBIA is real and I get tired of people looking at me & teasing me about it and sometimes getting angry about it--like judging me "Don't you trust your husband to keep you safe" Get real. He can't stop a tornado--he'd sleep through it. I leave at the sight of one coming at night also to a friend's basement in town.
I cant believe there are this many people who are just as scared as me. I am 33 years old and cannot remember ever not being afraid of storms. I start to panic and "watch' DAYS in advance. I too use NOAA.GOV for info, i have a storm cellar, a weather radio, etc and still nothing eases the fear. what if i dont make it to the storm cellar, what if i cant get all the kids out there (i have 3). what if it comes in the middle of the night. I have went so far as to make my kids stay the night in the storm cellar and it is damp and not comfortable then i feel bad because one gets sick. ive tried watching one, etc. nothing helps
hi everyone my name is michelle and it is so much relief to know there are others out ther that are scared of storms. i have panic attacks it has got so bad sometimes i get sick to my stomach and throw up. Everyone makes fun off you b/c the dont understand i get this all the time but what they dont know is the only make it worse b/c now your not only dealing with the storm your dealing with feeling like your stupid b/c people make funn of you. i have been trying to find a way to ease it and still have yet to do so. I feel like it controls my life alot b/c i will not work anywhere out side of my city b/c i am scared to drive if it storms. i went to a therapoist and she told me to ust breathing excerise but i still freak out. so If anyone does find something let me know. but it is so great to hear i am not alone. thanks michelle from indiana
Hey, I know exactly how all of you feel, I have been terrified of storms since I was 12 years old, because a tornado touched down 1 mile away from my house and sucked a woman out of her home and ripped her in half. I was watching out the window and it was pitch black outside cuz the spider vein lightning made the security light go out, the lightning was pretty much constant, and then we heard a weird roaring sound. So we looked closer and could slowly see the tornado touch down with every flash. It was so freakin scary. So now I'm 19 and I live in Arkansas(tornado valley) and I'm calm when it's just a normal thunderstorm, but as soon as I'm under a tornado watch or a severe thunderstorm warning I start to freak out cuz severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes out of nowhere, even before the warning is issued. I know what it's supposed to look like before it comes down, and I know what a hook echo looks like on the weather radar, and what it looks like when there r going to be straight line winds of 50mph or more. Yea I watch the weather channel that much, I watch it when there is a storm like 3 states over cuz i know that in a few days it will be in my state and i wanna see what it's capable of. When the storm is severe or is going to become severe, I don't eat, sleep, rest, or change the channel from weather, I also will have weather.com on that TruPoint thing so I can see what it's doing at my house. I'm constantly looking out the window or out the door, or calling my mom to see what KISR93 (radio station) is saying cuz my radio won't pick up that channel in my house. I have a 1 year old son, and it scares me to death to think that I might fall asleep or miss a tornado warning and not be able to get to my son in time and then go to look for him after the tornado disipates and not be able to find him or even worse find him dead..I don't know where to take cover, I have no interior room and my apartment has 1 floor. If a tornado did come my house would be beat to death with grave stones cuz I live directly in front of (about 15 feet away) a really big cemetery. The only way I would feel safe is if I had a storm cellar that I could sleep in then I wouldn't be scared....only if there were no spiders in it though , but that's a WHOLE other story..lol  So do ya'll think I need to get help or is all that normal cuz my husband thinks I'm stupid, today my city was under a tornado watch and  there was hard rain, pea size hail, and 80 MPH winds, and I was scared to death it looked like a tornado was coming (it was dark) cuz the trees were all bent over, so i look to the tv to see if there is a tornado warning and what do you know the satelite signal was out, and my husband was taking a shower like nothing was happening. I was holding my son and trying to drag everything out of the closet I planned to get into, and it was full..I guarantee you I cleaned it out in like 30 seconds. I was shaking all over, couldn't hardly breath, sweating really bad, and my heart was racing. That was pure terror I was feeling...A million thoughts raced through my mind like I could already see the news coverage of my apartment saying that they found two dead bodies in the rubble, and they found the baby about 1 mile away ALIVE...with no parents..all alone...and hungry, and he wants his mommy to hold him and tell him it's ok..but mommy is dead! Ok I have to stop now cuz I've started to cry, So yea I guess i just made ur fears a little worse, but if ya'll know someone that can tell me if I'm crazy or not plz! let me know..If you've made it this far--Thanks for reading all of this :)
iam 33yrs old and i have had a fear of storms for a long time i can't sleep i make myself sick when there is one coming or suppose to be one . my hubby gets so mad at me but i really cant help it some time i fell like my chest is going to explode i am so scared if anyone has any advice please let me know something i really would appriciate the help as far as i can remember i have never been in a tornado but for some reason i am so scared that i litrally get sick i have tried to not pay attention to the storms but i cant help it everyone around me makes fun of me and says that i should just sit back and watch them there is nothing going to happen but i cant.so as i said if any advice i would really appriciate
I've been afraid of storms for about 40 years now.  I wish it would go away but it's still somewhere inside of me and I can't seem to find the button to get rid of my fear.  My main fear is of tornadoes.  If I was sure, absolutely sure a storm wouldn't conatain a tornado, I 'might' be able to get through one without so much concern, but it's always in the back of my mind that if I relax, it could happen.  I always run to a very small basment that isn't even all the way underground, but it's all I have to go into since I live in a house trailer.  I feel so bad sometimes, really, all the time when others around me just stay inside and go on with life like it's a nice, sunny day while I'm down in the damp, dark of my halfway underground area.  Sometimes I stay there all night long and half the next day until they storms have passed and then I feel terrible, achy and very tired.  I take Xanax when I know a storm is coming and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.  I usually go there before the storm even hits so that I won't have to run outside to where my basment area is located.  I don't want to run outside durring lightning.  People think I'm crazy and tell me to face my fears and get over it, but I've tried and it hasn't worked, just makes me more tense and feeling like I'm going to throw up.  I hate feeling like this and it ruins my springs and summers when I'm spending so much time down there instead of enjoying life like the rest of my family.
  I don't have an answer, just wanted you to know you're not alone.  God Bless and help us all, please!
Ama
First of all i am glad to hear all your stories. I feel the same as all of you. I am 30 years old and only been scared of storm for about 3 years. it's weird but i know when it started. 3 years ago i was at work and right at the end of the day a storm was forming and it had some weird colors and it came fast. my brothers and i started running for a trailor that was near by nothing stronger then a mobile home type. i remember haveing the door open and looking out and the door got ripped from my hands, it did not get ripped off but i could not hold it a my hat just got sucked off of my head. The point is at that point i realized how strong a storm was and that i could not control it. about 8 years before that a small tornado touched down at the end of my street and damaged a from houses, nobody was hurt. But that never messed with me i was fine. I just wish 3 years ago that there was a building close that was stronger and i never opened that door and maybe i would still be normal. trust me my wife looks at me like i am a sissy and it *****. i do not want to feel like this anymore. I pack up my family everytime there is a chance for strong storms, and as many of you feel, that is like everyday when you are like this. I HATE weather.com but i have to look at it, i can not stop. Unlike alot of you insead of looking out the windows i close the blinds and try not to look because if i do not see it, it won't bother me until i hear the thunder and then it's time to start freakin out. I wish i liked beer more and i would just get drunk and pass out and that should help but now i have a 4 month old girl and i have to protect her and the wife. the wife is one of those who love to have the windows open the hear the storm and it make me sick she could do that. I can tell it is affecting her and that bothers me, i never wanted her it know that i was afraid of storm and she didn't until last year and i could not take it anymore. The good thing is a basement does make me feel so much better. I look at it this way if i am in a basement and a tornado gets me then there is nothing i could do and God wants me. Wow i have been typing way to much and sorry for that i could easily go on but thanks for reading.
I completely understand.  I am 18 and ever since I can remember, I have had an overwhelming fear of storms.  I love calm rainy days (I live in Arizona so those are welcomed), but the minute the wind picks up and I hear thunder, my heart pounds faster and I have trouble breathing.  For a while I thought my fears had started to subside, but we had a rather bad monsoon season this year and they are right back to what they used to be.  On a number of occasions, I have ended up sleeping on bathroom floors with about 20 blankets over me, terrified out of my mind.  Luckily I live in a place where there are only storms for about a month or two out of the year, but I prepare for monsoon season and the terror that will ensue.  
       Now I don't know if something happened in your childhood, but I have been racking my brain to figure out where my fear originated.  The sad thing is, I realized my biggest fear came from the movies Twister and Wizard of Oz.  I saw them both when I was about four, and ever since, I have hated storms.  It is truly embarrasing to have such a great and semi-irrational fear with so little cause.  With that in mind, I have been trying to separate fiction from reality.  It is true that storms are dangerous, and I believe it is the size of them that makes us afraid of them, the fact that it is not something we can do anything about.  However, if we take precautions, there is little chance of any harm actually coming to us.      
      Now, trust me, right now I can rationalize with myself, but about two hours ago I was, again, on the floor, like a five year old, terrified out of my mind.  But I do believe it is a work in progress, and while the progress may be slow and the outcome unknown, I do believe we can learn to ease our fears so that we can at least function.  Good luck, and remember, there are obviously a bunch of us that understand what you're going through.
i have been afraid of storms for about 2 years now. its been sorta like a rollercosater. some days im fine with them. then somedays if people that didnt know what was wrong would have thought i was absoulutley crazy.im on zoloft and thats helped. i guess i should mention why im afraid of storms bcuz we know why.
My First Fear was of my mother dying.
it had nithing to do with storms.but then one day i didnt feel good before school so i decided to stay home with my father.it was like the perfect weather in the morning!!!!!! sunny, not a cloud in the sky!!!!
then at like 1 or 2 it got really dark by my backyard.  it was the darkest ive ever seen so you would imagine how i felt!
my daddy was working outside and i asked him why it was so dark and before he could answer, there was i huge out of nowhere downpour!!!
we went inside in the basement/living room and turned on the weather. the sirens were going off everywhere. and the phones didnt work here so i had to call my mom on my cell cuz i was fareaking out!!!!!!!
of course it died down and it was fine! ever since i got over my fear of my mommy dying but not of storms.  but can someone help me deal with this!
Don't move to San Fran.  It's always raining.  My dog freaks when it is about to storm.
I am 13 and I have been absolutely terrifyed of storms since last year. I have only been through a tornado once in my life. And I was only like 7 years old. I dont know wat to do. I have gotten to the point of where i don't even want to go to school when it is cloudy. But the funny thing is that im not half as scared when Im at home. Its just at school. I think that it is the comfort of being with my family that makes me feel safer. I am making everyone in my family worry about me. I cry everynight not wantiing to go to school. It has gotten out of hand. It seems like no one understands my feelings about the storm. But all the stories i have read on here sound simular to mine. There aren't very many storms where I live here in Kentucky. I am taking anxiety medicine but i dont think it is strong enough to help my problem. It is serious and everyone thinks its just a joke. I dont just worry about what is going to happen tomorrow, but even 8 months from now in the spring when the storms are more likely. I dont know what to do about this and i dont want to hurt my parents any longer about this issue that seems so small to everyone else, but huge to me. It has effected everthing in my life. I cheered and flipped all the time and now i dont hardly do it anymore. I never want to go anywhere without my mom or dad anymore. The weird thing is, i dont know what made me start being scared. I just wanted to tell my story and tell everyone that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! And its good to know that im not the only one. I feel all of your alls pain.
I am so glad there are other people around who are scared of storms. I'm 14 and I've only just developed this fear over storms. It could even be some cloud, no rain, no nothing and I would just freak out. My house echoes as well, so at anytime there is thunder I nearly have a heart attack.
I too am afraid of storms. That is why I am here right now. I live in Western North Carolina of all places...and it seems that no matter how many times we have had severe storms..with no tornado during that tornado watch, I still freak out days before. It all started when I was 10, and at first the weather man came to my fifth grade class room and told us about tornados during tornado week...then I traveled to Texas as an already scared little girl, and there were 2 tornados to touch down, and 13 funnels. One of the tornados went across the road in front of me, and flipped some cars. I am now soon to be 24 years old...and everytime a storm comes I have a very severe attack. What makes it worse is when no one tries to understand. For instance, my dad will say "you can't get scared everytime a little rain comes" knowing that there are predictions for severe storms for the next night. My mom will say "why do you flip out days before, it may not even get here". I eventually took it upon myself to go to the doctor. I don't have insurence or anything like that cause I work part time, so the doctor is all I can afford. I would love to be able to go to a theropist because maybe that would help me overcome this fear that I ALMOST overcame! But just this year, after 3 years of inactivity, it came back. So, about the doctor. I went and she gave me klonopin to take as needed. Guess what, my mom flips out saying that it is too addictive and only take half. The first times I took half that was 2 weeks ago. Tonight I found out that there was going to be severe storms tomarrow night and it is making me so scared. It is already 2am and I have to get up at 5:15 for work. My body starts getting these cold rushes and I start to get scared. And I went to wake my mom up and ask her if I could please take something so I can calm down and she yelled at me for being upset, saying that I am overreacting. So, I have went straight in my room and I took a whole pill. She doesn't know. And I would like for her to know incase something happens...but if she is just going to make my anxiety worse...then here I am sitting in my bed by myself trying to overcome this stupid fear! I don't know what I have to do. I worry that the pill won't even work, cause the halfs that I took the past two times didn't phase me. Im scared and I want to lay down and not wake up. And tomarrow when the storms come in, my mom and dad will be asleep cause they are not scared, and they have to work in the morning, so I feel like I better stay awake and protect them. But if this doesn't end up calming me down tonight I am going to take a benedryl on top of it tomarrow night. Whether my mom wants me to or not, cause I shouldn't have to be in this much anxiety. I just want it to go away. I just want to be normal again. I pray and pray and pray, but sometimes I don't think I deserve to not have this fear because I am not going to Church and praying regularly, and sometimes I don't even thank God for my day. But sometimes I just want him to hold me when I am scared cause I know he is the only one who can protect me and not get mad at me for feeling like this. Please pray for me if you are a believer. Ill do the same for you.
As I read through the comments from all of you who also have a fear of storms, I couldn't help but identify.  I am in my fifties and most of my life I have feared something--the dark, strangers, cancer, dying, and now it's storms.  I know the problem; it has to do with a feeling of control, or lack of it.  I like to be in control of my life and the lives of my loved one (even my cats) and anything that threatens this makes me fearful.  Like many of you, I had a trigger.  

A couple of summers back, we had the remnants of a hurricane come through Oklahoma and it caused severe flooding.  When water came into my home and I couldn't do one thing about it, I became more fearful of the weather.  Now it's the possible thunderstorm and high winds at night when I'm asleep; I won't sleep in our bedroom on nights when bad weather is supposed to move through because I fear the huge sycamore tree in our back yard will blow over onto our house and our bedroom in on that side of the house.  The prospect of a tornado puts me into panic mode so I'm calling the city storm shelter to make sure it's going to be open later when we're supposed to get storms that are tornadic.  Again, it all goes back to this is bigger than I am and I can't control it.  therefore, I become fearful of it.

This makes me sad because I used to like the rain, the lightening, the thunder.  Now it just turns my gut to water when we get storms.  I want to be able to just be logical about all this, but I think if we're under a tornado watch, that it is going to happen in our town.  I don't even think about the probabilities of that happening.  In my mind, it's going to happen.
From reading this post, I'm glad to find out I'm not alone!

I never had the real fear of thunderstorms until a year ago, I used to love traveling, going places, etc. Now, I'm fearful of going anywhere, worrying a storm might come. It's not just the storm, it's what the storm can do, damaging winds, hail, tornadoes, etc. If there's a cloud in the sky, I'm checking the weather, I watch the weather on a daily basis. It's become my obsession.

I just don't know how to overcome the anxiety or fear of it, since it's already in my mind, and cannot erase it. I've tried anxiety medications, but that doesn't help me. I read on other places on how to overcome it, they said to figure out what caused it to overcome it, but honestly I do not know what caused it. Possibly from reading the news, of storm damages, and killer tornadoes, and living right in the middle of tornado alley!

I've never experienced a tornado, or anything destructive, but just winds greater than 80mph, and seen trees down in my neighborhood and windows broken out from a few severe storms. But, luckily, nothing has happened to our home. I do not have a basement or storm cellar either, which is part of the problem.

I just wish there was a way to overcome these fears. I fear that our fear will effect our children and others around us, we're going to make them just as fearful as we are too. We do not need to live in fear.

-Longing for winter to come.

I am almost 17 years old and I'm going to be a senior this year. For most of my high school experience I have been terrified of thunderstorms and tornados. If you even just mention a storm, my whole day is ruined and I'm not one for crying but I will break down into tears when there is a storm on the way. This fear kind of runs in my family but not as bad as me. I always thought it was just me but I am happy to find so many other people with the problem. I hope someone can give us a solution that will help :D
dear people of this website,
i am a younger age between10-15 but i prefer not to share my real age i am terified of storms when i am at the store with my mom i always askthe clerk the forcast if they know if i know theyre is a storm on the way then my mom tells them about my panicing and i start to cry it has gotten to a point where i dont want to go to the fair with family stay home alone or go to a relatiives.......................i know school is starting sooner than i thnk and i dont know what im going todo. i feel sooo bad cuz when i have friends over i just getout my ipod touch and turn ti up high to where the point is where i canthear the storms which kinda helps i own an ipod touch and are alwyas watchin  weather alerts and goin on websites and everything i dont know what to do..............if anyone has advice that willl help please let me know i pray and pray and pray to god wheni know there is a storm cuming to pass my city town village whatever i cnt breeeth talk or whatever i can be workin on somethen with friends or cleaning with friends and as soon as i hear the thunder i throw everything down run to the bed get out my blankets phone put in the earplugs turnit up and get the t.v. on and ask them to watch it for me and if they have phone text me and let me know whats going on........my relatives and parents work early till about 4 most of the time and i always have to have friends stay when theyre is just a haze i always call up my dad and ask what is the we3ather do yuou know why is the sky lke that? omg i just wish it wuld all go away i am at a yung age and shouldnt have to be worrying about this or not going anywhere becuz of it i live in a little  village  but i do have a basement.........................................................i justcant wait till thee day when it all goes awya and i do have relief for all of you............my friends mom is researching and studying this wait till you hear the great news if you belive in god in your heart and know andask him to walk with you take yo ucomfprt you one day all you will be odingi  s just sitting there and blink and you willdissapear and be gone and all that will be left is gone god has taking youi am a true belaiver my self and i have asked him.............the nyou will return back and everything will be perfect which means no storms! or any bad weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait it culd be anyday day i gave you releif will u give me helppp please i am begging you! i want to be that girl who can go anywhere and not be afraid of everything thing of bad weather and be able to stand out in the rain with my friends and just amd splash iwthout freaking out....imbeging just please help.................i hate storms and cry all the time when i leave somewhere cuz im afraid it might storm and if i do go anywhere i always text my grnadmother to tell me the wetather in the morning afternnoon and before she goes ot bed and let me know hwen shes going to bed i just really need relief st this point from all this
Every time there is even a watch I freak I, live in a moble home in MN so I like freak and  I need help what do I do,? I am only ten ugh how do I deal with this is it a disses or a fear or a disorder HELP ME what do I do I stress out and cry and scream and ONLY watch the news
Help

I am using a stress lotion storms make, my life hard I am glad I found this web site lol
I am terrified of Thunderstorms.  I am 13 and where I live, when a storm happens the lighting cracks outside my bedroom window, heavy rain accompanies it and winds.  I never used to be afraid of storms, until one day.  I was on the computer, and my telephone socket (which connects to the telephone) is just above the family computer,  I heard a distant rumble of thunder, and then BOOM.  Lightning had hit the Telephone socket and I was rushed to emergency Hospital, I was covered in black smoke.  I was fine, my ears were ringing, and now, I am absolutely terrified of Thunderstorms and now even rain.  I associate rain with storms so every time I hear rain, my heart beats faster.  When I hear thunder, I take my laptop into the bedroom and find out where the storm is coming from and if it would hit us.  If it is coming any where near my parents and I, I make them drive me in the car, in the opposite direction, so not to be in contact with any storms.

Everyday I am terrified that a storm will come, even if there is no clouds.  I can't help feeling the way I do, and I am so glad that others feel the same.
I am so glad I found this website.

There is heavy rain due to come tonight.........HELP!
I have read all your post and I now realize how many people are suffering from the same fear I also have. I was never afraid of storms ever. I used to be able to just sit and do whatever and never even think twice about storms. Was never afraid until 8 years ago. I was in a bad marriage and had just moved into a trailer that is when my fear started. Even after my divorce from him I still have this fear of storms esp tornadoes. Like many of you it controls my life my friends and family make fun of me because of my fear of storms. I constantly watch the weather channel cause I hate the thought of not knowing what is coming. I have no basement and now am losing the only access to one I have had. Our neighbors are moving which ***** they always offered their basement when needed. I go regularly to a therapist and counseler. I have been on many different anti deppressants and anxiety meds which none have worked thus far. I hate feeling this way and living my life like this. I think it is harder knowing what it is like NOT to be afraid of storms cause you miss the way you used to be. Always wishing you could go back to normal but don't know how to beat this controlling fear. My therapist has me trying desensitization method for long term treatment of my phobia of storms. Let you all know how it works and if it helps at all. I think if anything something that can help us all is each other and the support group we could form......
i am extremely terrified when the storms have the potential to be severe, i get all upset i can barely function. I have always been a little afraid of storms, afraid enough to be cautious and informed and keep up on them, but after i had my first child it really got out of control, I had a dream that our home got hit by one and i could not find my baby boy,and now i obsess about them, and my whole life has changed because of them. My husband just rolls his eyes at me and says what are you so worried about, i dont know why you get so upset, you need to stop and just get over it, and then he acts like there is nothing really wrong with me at all, i love him but just because he is not afraid doesn't mean tha my fear isnt real.
     I wonder if commenting will help me feel better. I don't know where it went wrong. I've always been afriad. The one thing that has helped me is praying and finding something that a website that helps with fobias is called an "anchor". Basically, you reteach yourself how to think. You reach a certain emotional high, like after you aced a test or got a raise or it's sunny or something, and you clench your first for example, and you do this while deep breathing and focusing for 5-10 seconds and this helps you train yourself to experience that feeling when you clench your fist on que. But you have to practice and teach your anchor often, in order to make it strong.
     As I am writing this, there is apparently a Tornadoe Warning outside, which isn't effecting me like it has before due in part to the anchor, as well as watching the weather and rationalizing it in my mind. It is important to remember that the news has to deliver a worse case senario to the public to prepare them.
     I am not sure how my fear started but it is paralyzing. That is for sure. It is easy to get swallowed into my fear of Tornadoes, but exposure and knowledge helps the most in getting over the fear, or at least medicating the symptoms that come along with my stress and anxiety attacks.
     Everything will be ok. Repeat that over and over as you start your anchor. It always helps. Be smart and stay safe.
I dont have any answers either, I am 48 have been suffering from horrible panic/ weather phobia for over 14 years since going through a terrible storm in Louisiana in 97, I too, just the mention of possibility of SEVERE WEATHER, seeing the red outline, starts my heart pounding, feels like the inside of me is on fire, diarreha, throwing up, shaking, almost convulsiions, cold chills, and feeling like I just want to run away, do anything I can to just not have to feel this way! I cant work, or make plans for more than 3 days in advance, I am so terrified of getting caught in a storm again, my husband doesnt understand, he tells me to just get over it, and others tell me to get hold of my Faith, or I have no faith, THAT IS NOT TRUE!  I have tried all of the drugs, all kinds of therapy, hypnosis, spent omg, dont even know how much I have spent, and get this I drive a truck for a living, well I use too, I cant now.. There has got to be a treatment for this.. If you know of anything PLease HELP
I have read just about all these posts and can't believe how many people out there are just like me... Glad I'm not alone.  Storms, rain, wind, lightning, thunder it all scares me.  I see a storm coming I've already decided where I'm going to go and who I'm going to be with.  As long as I'm with people I seem to be better.  I just don't want to be alone.  My son is not scared at all of storms and I'm so glad.  I have a dog that actually trembles when he hears thunder.  Just typing about it is making me nervous.  This is a real problem and I also get so tired of being picked on about it. I am 42 years old and I haven't grown out of the fear.  I take lexapro but during a storm it does nothing for me.  What else is there we can do to conquor our fears?  I pray, I listen to music, I watch tv.. tried everything....
I am also glad to see Im not alone, but unlike everyone on here I dont live in tornado stricken land. I live in Australia. Our weather patterns r changing and becoming very tropical, and u guessed it, bringing more storms. I am also a fire and rescue volunteer and when we get a bad storm I get called to go deal with the damage, Rain, hail, shine or thunderstorm.
I am petrified of thunder and lightning, rain and wind dont bother me, its just the thunder and lightning that get to me. Tonight we had a message over the pager warning of a severe tstorm warning for damaging winds, thunder and lightning and moderate to high flood risk. This is daunting to me as I have had this phobia ever since I was a toddler due to a bad experience.
I too have the issue of being teased and looked down on, especially in my brigade where I get thrown out in a storm whether im crying, screaming and panicing or not.
This sux and I truely feel for each and every one of u guys who live in the US. I guess Im lucky just to have to put up with the stomach churning rumble and the heart jerking flash. All I wanna say is that WE are not alone, we're in this together, even across the other side of the globe. Good luck everyone =)
READ THIS!
Hi Everyone, I am only 16, but I think I have better advice then any therapist can give you. I am pretty terrified of storms, and I go through the same kind of pain you all go through, but I have something that a lot of you may not have, which is God in my life. I know a lot of you may stop reading now, because I mentioned God, but if you really are going through such a hard time then you might be willing to try anything. Anyway I could go into a lot more detail but you all probably just want me to get to the point. You may or may not be able to get passed this fear on your own, but through God you can receive peace that you will have never experienced before. I know you may think that this won't work because I am still scared of storms and I have decided to use my faith in God to get over this fear, but that is because tonight is the first night I have decided I need God to help me through this, so I am new to this as well. So here is a starting point for all of you:

http://****.com/fv/fv_08.htm

I hope you don't give up as it may take time, but the rewards will be worth it.

God loves us all xx
I am glad that you mentioned your faith as a weapon in defeating this fear. I am a phobic when it comes to tornadoes. Every time I hear thunder I think that a tornado is coming that it is going to hit my house of all places. I know that it is an irrational fear that has taken over my life. The step of action I have taken is to block out the media. When I listed to the media I found that it made things much worse for me. Seem like the media these days have to put a label on every storm that comes through our area. Why can't a thunderstorm be a thunderstorm instead they put names on it like severe, or significant for just about everything that comes through our area. Then to make matters worse the advice that is given to combat these storms sometimes is  not obtainable for every one. Such as they tell you that you need to get to a basement on a small interior room on the lowest level of your home. some areas of the country do not have basements because the soil there is not the best for it. Either being too rocky or too wet thus causing lots of problems with leaking and mold. I for one have made the decision to cut the media out and see the storm for what it is a storm. I try to find the beauty in it. All creation has beauty of some kind. Rather in be in color or order or behavior. Before you label be as crazy I need to mention one more thing, I live in a Manufactured Home. When we were looking for homes we could not find a home with a basement that did not have major problems nor could wee continue to keep living in a small apartment with a growing family. So we decided to go manufactured. We live in the country with so much beauty around us. Now the media does not like any building or home that is manufactured rather it be mobile, manufactured or modular.  The suggest that you have a home with a basement or storm shelter of some kind. Well not everyone can afford such a fort and even if they could that is still no guarintee of survival. Many have died in basement because the house fell in on them. I have make the choice to look at the storm for what it is, a storm a part of nature a part of creation and let the one who commands the storm make the decisions beyond that. Either way, I want to live a life that is free of the media and free of the strong hold that I have let them put over me. It was not till I started really listening to the media that I got so afraid of storms. To take a step back and live like people did before the media has such a preveiance in society may seem crazy but it also bring peace.  
I too have an irrational fear of storms.  I believe that every storm is going to produce a tornado and it will hit my house.  I have no basement which makes the anxiety much worse.  I take anti-anxiety medicine everyday, and xanax when I begin to panic.  I live in Ohio so we have thunderstorms quite frequently.  I have at least 3 weather apps on my phone at all times and check them everyday.  In the spring and summer I check them before I will leave anywhere.  This fear has literally taken over my life.  It doesn't matter where I am at I will not leave that place until the storm has passed and I am sure it is over with.  I will not drive in a storm no matter what.  At home I usually take my dog a blanket and a pillow and go in our closet and hide.  My husband thinks I'm crazy.  I don't want to live on medication for the rest of my life, because it doesn't keep me from panicking anyways.  I still panic on xanax.  I schedule my whole life around storms.  I can't go to therapy because I cannot afford it.  I don't understand it when everyone says that it is "something you cannot control, that helped me."  That absolutely does NOT help me.  That makes it worse to know this is something that I cannot control!!  How that helps you I don't know.  I do not fear things that I can control just things that I cannot.  Knowing how storms work does not help either.  As far as facing your fears head on, I'm too afraid to face them head on.  If anyone has some useful advice please feel free to share.  My husbands best advice is not to stop worrying.  LOL
I know exacly how you feel.
I have quit jobs because of weather. I panic and want to pass out during a storm, I hide and cry but nothing makes it go away.
My doctor told me their was no medication to rid of this fear of mine
I didnt think their was so many people who felt like i do
Summer time I dont go anywhere if i can help it.
my life is surounded by looking up at the sky and wind and weather.
Its terrible.

Do you feel any better from the medication? I dont know what to do and storms are comming again we've already had like 5 in one week!
"I'm absolutely petrified it'll come out and I'll be the same, has anyone had it out? have you gone back to being sane?!"

I saw somebody say this earlier but nobody has really noticed as it was quite a long post.

I am due to get the implant out tomorrow after having a terrible time with it for the past year. Mood swings, no sex drive, tiredness. So lucky my boyfriend has been so supportive.

I am scared that when I get it out I wont go back to normal :(.
hi everyone I am 23 and i use to have a very bad fear tornados and everyone around me would not take it serious, i know and i knew what tornados can do because in middle school i decided i wanted to be a tornado chaser until they started happening around me. Now i dont know who on here is a Christian but I am, I am a true Christian and as i said i was bad with my fear and so  was my 4yr old until i realized to leave it in Jesus name because storms that harm is the work of the devil and call me crazy if you want but i know whats best for this fear and its trusting the man above. I live inMD and the last couple weeks we have been getting storms again and almost everytime we have a storm there is a tornado warning. I didnt belive it at first but now i see its true when there is a bad storm approachin my area me, my boyfriend and daughter say "in Jesus name i command this storm to leave there shall be no evil here and i command the holy angels to protect us, i command u to leave storm in Jesus name Amen."  give ur life to christ and u will see what u can do.
i am so terrified of storms my boyfriend and i argue everytime it rains about the weather .he cant seem to understand my fear thinks it is something i can just ignore. i have lost my 22 year old son to a car accident , my mom and dads house caught on fire so i moved back from  louisiana to take care of them they both  got smoke inhalation and  both died shortly after moving back to my hometown . i have 2 daughters a state away and i watch the weather channel constantly to try and keep  an eye on the weather in their area . i know i have a paralyzing fear of storms and of losing them to since moving back i have lost all my family members except my twin brother and 1 aunt and uncle . my home and land here is paid for  so moving is not really an option besides where is a safe place to live from the paths of natural disaster anyway lived thru Katrina and its only gotten worse  since then  got flooded out with ike while i was at work and was standed all weekend no phone to call my family or boyfriend who was at our house  didnt know if he was ok and he  couldnt find out about me either till it was over . i  also take meds for my anxiety but i am allowed to take as many as at the time to control it and it only knocks me out if i take 2  and  that  dont make me feel any safer ...i do not go to bed when i know bad weather is coming i  pace the floor and watch the weather on my pc and tv . i wish i had a way to deal withthis it is really causes frequent fights with my boyfriend and this is the only time we argue it makes me feel like i have a serious problem please  offer advice i could  surely use some    thank you guys
sweetie, tornadoes can only happen if there is a storm. its the pressure of downward moving air coliding with the air going up that causes a spinning motion. just because its windy is no reason to be afraid. they cant just come out of nowhere. And if a tornado does happen, just go in your basement with your family. a house can be rebuilt. But seriously, they cant happen unless there is a powerful and damaging storm. you'll hear a tornado before you see it. you'll hear a loud train, then get scared. Good luck :)
I am the same way. I feel so much better when I am at my house, but if I am anywhere else and the sky is dark I start to freakout and I have panic attacks. I am so glad there are people just like me out there.
hello im 9 years old i do have this problem today my mom left she left me in
i have two sisters a 6 year old and almost a 2 year old but the thunder would not stop
So many of you have stated how I feel. I am truly amazed I am not alone. I wish we could set up a 'website' or forum for us to go to help each other. I want so bad to rid my life of this cripling fear, but unlike a fear of snakes, it's hard to face when every storm is different. I'm so tired of radar being on my computer 24/7, and not wanting to go anywhere for fear of a 'pop up'. I know what caused my fear, a tornado that caused us to lose everything, but my fear has escalated to just rain. Terrified of anything but a sunny day. Would anyone like to start a group?
I almost cried when I seen everyones stories, I thought I was all alone in this! I used to LOVE storms heck I used to sit out in them but about a year ago a F4 tornado ripped through my home town. I was alseep when the first F2 came through and we sit there in a closet huddled together and waited it out but after it was over my nieghbors came over to our trailor and told us we HAD to get out fast because an even worse storm was headed our way. We loaded in the car and drove about 2 miles to my sisters double wide, thats when the F4 tornado hit. The winds were blowing so hard that you could hear things being blown into the house and we could hear the roof tearing away. When it was at its worst we spilt up and went into the two smallest closets in the house the adults in one and one adult and all the kids in the other. That was the turning point for me I thought we were gonners and I was going to die with my children not in my arms. After it was all over we had no power for a week and when I left my sisters to see if my home was still standing we were stopped in the middle of the road b/c my neighbors house was sitting in the middle of the road, right then I brust into tears I just knew everything was lost. Every since that day I freak out when the wind blows and go into a full panic everytime I see lighting or hear thunder. I live in a mobile home so I run everytime I even think there is going to be a storm. I am away from my home more than Im home. Every one in my family used to pick on me and yell at me saying that I was being stupid but after they have seen what happens to me when a storm comes through they have become so much more understanding. One day my husband asked me to sit through just one small storm and he would be there to hold my hand the whole time so I did and about 3 minutes into the storm my husband had to give me one of his nitro pills b/c my chest tightened up so bad that i fell over on the floor in pain, he NEVER asked me to do it again. I need to figure out how to get this under control because I am rubbing my fear off on my kids b/c I drag them with me everytime I run. If anyone finds a way to live with this please let me know, because right now my life is controled by the weather 100%.
Sorry I'm late but its the clouds and if it says tornado watch of warnings and its the wind. Its suppose to have severe storms tomorrow night and I am afraid of a tornado to happen. My mom and family tell me not to be scare but I can't help it.
Hello, I'm 16 years old and I am Deathly afraid of Thunderstorms. Everytime one hits I hide under my covers and cover my ears. Especially at night, I freak out when the lights come out. I live in Miami, Florida and my fear has became more Deathly ever since Hurricane Isaac made landfall on Miami. If anyone has any cures, please comment back to me!
I am 37 years old and I have severe panic attacks when having to drive when it is storming, even raining I get antzy. It has got so bad that a lot of the time I can't even leave the house if I know it is going to storm. I have missed days at work because I can't leave the house. I am having a slight panic attack right now because I have seen that we are going to have severe storms tomorrow afternoon right at the time i usually pick my son up from vacation care. I wont sleep tonight thinking about it.
I have no idea when my fear actually started, it is really only driving that panics me the most, if I am at home I am usually fine (although we just had a large storm recently where my car was quite badly damaged in hail approx 8cm). I do remember being in a smallish cyclone back at primary school where I was trapped in a classroom with just my sister and a teacher, watching trees being torn out of the ground around us, but it has only been probably in the last 10 years that I have had panic attacks.
I used to drive quite a distance to work and back and being from Queensland, Australia we are prone to very severe summer storms, so on the way home I would often have to leave the freeway and find shelter in a shopping centre carpark at least 3 times a week. Even as a passenger I freak out completely.
some of the things I hate are:
- not being able to see the road when it is raining heavily
- the fear of hail hitting the car and breaking windows
- intense fear of having an accident because of the rain/wind/hail etc.

I just read ur comment on storms and just was wondering if u were still having problems overcoming storms?? Ever since my daughter was born I've been having severe anxity abt weather...uggg it drives me crazy.  
sarveshyadav commented on  Things Killing Your ...
1 hr ago
ashler1977 commented on Long standing dry mou...
Evergreen25 joined this community
Welcome them!