does anyone else have a super fear of storms?
i am 21 and recently have been dealing with horrible anxiety and panic and stress and when it storms i freak and dont know how to deal it could just start sprinkling and i freak and i live where it storms all the time i just wanna know if anyone else has this problem and how the heck do you deal with it?
From reading this post, I'm glad to find out I'm not alone!

I never had the real fear of thunderstorms until a year ago, I used to love traveling, going places, etc. Now, I'm fearful of going anywhere, worrying a storm might come. It's not just the storm, it's what the storm can do, damaging winds, hail, tornadoes, etc. If there's a cloud in the sky, I'm checking the weather, I watch the weather on a daily basis. It's become my obsession.

I just don't know how to overcome the anxiety or fear of it, since it's already in my mind, and cannot erase it. I've tried anxiety medications, but that doesn't help me. I read on other places on how to overcome it, they said to figure out what caused it to overcome it, but honestly I do not know what caused it. Possibly from reading the news, of storm damages, and killer tornadoes, and living right in the middle of tornado alley!

I've never experienced a tornado, or anything destructive, but just winds greater than 80mph, and seen trees down in my neighborhood and windows broken out from a few severe storms. But, luckily, nothing has happened to our home. I do not have a basement or storm cellar either, which is part of the problem.

I just wish there was a way to overcome these fears. I fear that our fear will effect our children and others around us, we're going to make them just as fearful as we are too. We do not need to live in fear.

-Longing for winter to come.

I am almost 17 years old and I'm going to be a senior this year. For most of my high school experience I have been terrified of thunderstorms and tornados. If you even just mention a storm, my whole day is ruined and I'm not one for crying but I will break down into tears when there is a storm on the way. This fear kind of runs in my family but not as bad as me. I always thought it was just me but I am happy to find so many other people with the problem. I hope someone can give us a solution that will help :D
dear people of this website,
i am a younger age between10-15 but i prefer not to share my real age i am terified of storms when i am at the store with my mom i always askthe clerk the forcast if they know if i know theyre is a storm on the way then my mom tells them about my panicing and i start to cry it has gotten to a point where i dont want to go to the fair with family stay home alone or go to a relatiives.......................i know school is starting sooner than i thnk and i dont know what im going todo. i feel sooo bad cuz when i have friends over i just getout my ipod touch and turn ti up high to where the point is where i canthear the storms which kinda helps i own an ipod touch and are alwyas watchin  weather alerts and goin on websites and everything i dont know what to do..............if anyone has advice that willl help please let me know i pray and pray and pray to god wheni know there is a storm cuming to pass my city town village whatever i cnt breeeth talk or whatever i can be workin on somethen with friends or cleaning with friends and as soon as i hear the thunder i throw everything down run to the bed get out my blankets phone put in the earplugs turnit up and get the t.v. on and ask them to watch it for me and if they have phone text me and let me know whats going on........my relatives and parents work early till about 4 most of the time and i always have to have friends stay when theyre is just a haze i always call up my dad and ask what is the we3ather do yuou know why is the sky lke that? omg i just wish it wuld all go away i am at a yung age and shouldnt have to be worrying about this or not going anywhere becuz of it i live in a little  village  but i do have a basement.........................................................i justcant wait till thee day when it all goes awya and i do have relief for all of you............my friends mom is researching and studying this wait till you hear the great news if you belive in god in your heart and know andask him to walk with you take yo ucomfprt you one day all you will be odingi  s just sitting there and blink and you willdissapear and be gone and all that will be left is gone god has taking youi am a true belaiver my self and i have asked him.............the nyou will return back and everything will be perfect which means no storms! or any bad weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait it culd be anyday day i gave you releif will u give me helppp please i am begging you! i want to be that girl who can go anywhere and not be afraid of everything thing of bad weather and be able to stand out in the rain with my friends and just amd splash iwthout freaking out....imbeging just please help.................i hate storms and cry all the time when i leave somewhere cuz im afraid it might storm and if i do go anywhere i always text my grnadmother to tell me the wetather in the morning afternnoon and before she goes ot bed and let me know hwen shes going to bed i just really need relief st this point from all this
Every time there is even a watch I freak I, live in a moble home in MN so I like freak and  I need help what do I do,? I am only ten ugh how do I deal with this is it a disses or a fear or a disorder HELP ME what do I do I stress out and cry and scream and ONLY watch the news
Help

I am using a stress lotion storms make, my life hard I am glad I found this web site lol
I am terrified of Thunderstorms.  I am 13 and where I live, when a storm happens the lighting cracks outside my bedroom window, heavy rain accompanies it and winds.  I never used to be afraid of storms, until one day.  I was on the computer, and my telephone socket (which connects to the telephone) is just above the family computer,  I heard a distant rumble of thunder, and then BOOM.  Lightning had hit the Telephone socket and I was rushed to emergency Hospital, I was covered in black smoke.  I was fine, my ears were ringing, and now, I am absolutely terrified of Thunderstorms and now even rain.  I associate rain with storms so every time I hear rain, my heart beats faster.  When I hear thunder, I take my laptop into the bedroom and find out where the storm is coming from and if it would hit us.  If it is coming any where near my parents and I, I make them drive me in the car, in the opposite direction, so not to be in contact with any storms.

Everyday I am terrified that a storm will come, even if there is no clouds.  I can't help feeling the way I do, and I am so glad that others feel the same.
I am so glad I found this website.

There is heavy rain due to come tonight.........HELP!
I have read all your post and I now realize how many people are suffering from the same fear I also have. I was never afraid of storms ever. I used to be able to just sit and do whatever and never even think twice about storms. Was never afraid until 8 years ago. I was in a bad marriage and had just moved into a trailer that is when my fear started. Even after my divorce from him I still have this fear of storms esp tornadoes. Like many of you it controls my life my friends and family make fun of me because of my fear of storms. I constantly watch the weather channel cause I hate the thought of not knowing what is coming. I have no basement and now am losing the only access to one I have had. Our neighbors are moving which ***** they always offered their basement when needed. I go regularly to a therapist and counseler. I have been on many different anti deppressants and anxiety meds which none have worked thus far. I hate feeling this way and living my life like this. I think it is harder knowing what it is like NOT to be afraid of storms cause you miss the way you used to be. Always wishing you could go back to normal but don't know how to beat this controlling fear. My therapist has me trying desensitization method for long term treatment of my phobia of storms. Let you all know how it works and if it helps at all. I think if anything something that can help us all is each other and the support group we could form......
i am extremely terrified when the storms have the potential to be severe, i get all upset i can barely function. I have always been a little afraid of storms, afraid enough to be cautious and informed and keep up on them, but after i had my first child it really got out of control, I had a dream that our home got hit by one and i could not find my baby boy,and now i obsess about them, and my whole life has changed because of them. My husband just rolls his eyes at me and says what are you so worried about, i dont know why you get so upset, you need to stop and just get over it, and then he acts like there is nothing really wrong with me at all, i love him but just because he is not afraid doesn't mean tha my fear isnt real.
     I wonder if commenting will help me feel better. I don't know where it went wrong. I've always been afriad. The one thing that has helped me is praying and finding something that a website that helps with fobias is called an "anchor". Basically, you reteach yourself how to think. You reach a certain emotional high, like after you aced a test or got a raise or it's sunny or something, and you clench your first for example, and you do this while deep breathing and focusing for 5-10 seconds and this helps you train yourself to experience that feeling when you clench your fist on que. But you have to practice and teach your anchor often, in order to make it strong.
     As I am writing this, there is apparently a Tornadoe Warning outside, which isn't effecting me like it has before due in part to the anchor, as well as watching the weather and rationalizing it in my mind. It is important to remember that the news has to deliver a worse case senario to the public to prepare them.
     I am not sure how my fear started but it is paralyzing. That is for sure. It is easy to get swallowed into my fear of Tornadoes, but exposure and knowledge helps the most in getting over the fear, or at least medicating the symptoms that come along with my stress and anxiety attacks.
     Everything will be ok. Repeat that over and over as you start your anchor. It always helps. Be smart and stay safe.
I dont have any answers either, I am 48 have been suffering from horrible panic/ weather phobia for over 14 years since going through a terrible storm in Louisiana in 97, I too, just the mention of possibility of SEVERE WEATHER, seeing the red outline, starts my heart pounding, feels like the inside of me is on fire, diarreha, throwing up, shaking, almost convulsiions, cold chills, and feeling like I just want to run away, do anything I can to just not have to feel this way! I cant work, or make plans for more than 3 days in advance, I am so terrified of getting caught in a storm again, my husband doesnt understand, he tells me to just get over it, and others tell me to get hold of my Faith, or I have no faith, THAT IS NOT TRUE!  I have tried all of the drugs, all kinds of therapy, hypnosis, spent omg, dont even know how much I have spent, and get this I drive a truck for a living, well I use too, I cant now.. There has got to be a treatment for this.. If you know of anything PLease HELP
I have read just about all these posts and can't believe how many people out there are just like me... Glad I'm not alone.  Storms, rain, wind, lightning, thunder it all scares me.  I see a storm coming I've already decided where I'm going to go and who I'm going to be with.  As long as I'm with people I seem to be better.  I just don't want to be alone.  My son is not scared at all of storms and I'm so glad.  I have a dog that actually trembles when he hears thunder.  Just typing about it is making me nervous.  This is a real problem and I also get so tired of being picked on about it. I am 42 years old and I haven't grown out of the fear.  I take lexapro but during a storm it does nothing for me.  What else is there we can do to conquor our fears?  I pray, I listen to music, I watch tv.. tried everything....
I am also glad to see Im not alone, but unlike everyone on here I dont live in tornado stricken land. I live in Australia. Our weather patterns r changing and becoming very tropical, and u guessed it, bringing more storms. I am also a fire and rescue volunteer and when we get a bad storm I get called to go deal with the damage, Rain, hail, shine or thunderstorm.
I am petrified of thunder and lightning, rain and wind dont bother me, its just the thunder and lightning that get to me. Tonight we had a message over the pager warning of a severe tstorm warning for damaging winds, thunder and lightning and moderate to high flood risk. This is daunting to me as I have had this phobia ever since I was a toddler due to a bad experience.
I too have the issue of being teased and looked down on, especially in my brigade where I get thrown out in a storm whether im crying, screaming and panicing or not.
This sux and I truely feel for each and every one of u guys who live in the US. I guess Im lucky just to have to put up with the stomach churning rumble and the heart jerking flash. All I wanna say is that WE are not alone, we're in this together, even across the other side of the globe. Good luck everyone =)
READ THIS!
Hi Everyone, I am only 16, but I think I have better advice then any therapist can give you. I am pretty terrified of storms, and I go through the same kind of pain you all go through, but I have something that a lot of you may not have, which is God in my life. I know a lot of you may stop reading now, because I mentioned God, but if you really are going through such a hard time then you might be willing to try anything. Anyway I could go into a lot more detail but you all probably just want me to get to the point. You may or may not be able to get passed this fear on your own, but through God you can receive peace that you will have never experienced before. I know you may think that this won't work because I am still scared of storms and I have decided to use my faith in God to get over this fear, but that is because tonight is the first night I have decided I need God to help me through this, so I am new to this as well. So here is a starting point for all of you:

http://****.com/fv/fv_08.htm

I hope you don't give up as it may take time, but the rewards will be worth it.

God loves us all xx
I am glad that you mentioned your faith as a weapon in defeating this fear. I am a phobic when it comes to tornadoes. Every time I hear thunder I think that a tornado is coming that it is going to hit my house of all places. I know that it is an irrational fear that has taken over my life. The step of action I have taken is to block out the media. When I listed to the media I found that it made things much worse for me. Seem like the media these days have to put a label on every storm that comes through our area. Why can't a thunderstorm be a thunderstorm instead they put names on it like severe, or significant for just about everything that comes through our area. Then to make matters worse the advice that is given to combat these storms sometimes is  not obtainable for every one. Such as they tell you that you need to get to a basement on a small interior room on the lowest level of your home. some areas of the country do not have basements because the soil there is not the best for it. Either being too rocky or too wet thus causing lots of problems with leaking and mold. I for one have made the decision to cut the media out and see the storm for what it is a storm. I try to find the beauty in it. All creation has beauty of some kind. Rather in be in color or order or behavior. Before you label be as crazy I need to mention one more thing, I live in a Manufactured Home. When we were looking for homes we could not find a home with a basement that did not have major problems nor could wee continue to keep living in a small apartment with a growing family. So we decided to go manufactured. We live in the country with so much beauty around us. Now the media does not like any building or home that is manufactured rather it be mobile, manufactured or modular.  The suggest that you have a home with a basement or storm shelter of some kind. Well not everyone can afford such a fort and even if they could that is still no guarintee of survival. Many have died in basement because the house fell in on them. I have make the choice to look at the storm for what it is, a storm a part of nature a part of creation and let the one who commands the storm make the decisions beyond that. Either way, I want to live a life that is free of the media and free of the strong hold that I have let them put over me. It was not till I started really listening to the media that I got so afraid of storms. To take a step back and live like people did before the media has such a preveiance in society may seem crazy but it also bring peace.  
I too have an irrational fear of storms.  I believe that every storm is going to produce a tornado and it will hit my house.  I have no basement which makes the anxiety much worse.  I take anti-anxiety medicine everyday, and xanax when I begin to panic.  I live in Ohio so we have thunderstorms quite frequently.  I have at least 3 weather apps on my phone at all times and check them everyday.  In the spring and summer I check them before I will leave anywhere.  This fear has literally taken over my life.  It doesn't matter where I am at I will not leave that place until the storm has passed and I am sure it is over with.  I will not drive in a storm no matter what.  At home I usually take my dog a blanket and a pillow and go in our closet and hide.  My husband thinks I'm crazy.  I don't want to live on medication for the rest of my life, because it doesn't keep me from panicking anyways.  I still panic on xanax.  I schedule my whole life around storms.  I can't go to therapy because I cannot afford it.  I don't understand it when everyone says that it is "something you cannot control, that helped me."  That absolutely does NOT help me.  That makes it worse to know this is something that I cannot control!!  How that helps you I don't know.  I do not fear things that I can control just things that I cannot.  Knowing how storms work does not help either.  As far as facing your fears head on, I'm too afraid to face them head on.  If anyone has some useful advice please feel free to share.  My husbands best advice is not to stop worrying.  LOL
I know exacly how you feel.
I have quit jobs because of weather. I panic and want to pass out during a storm, I hide and cry but nothing makes it go away.
My doctor told me their was no medication to rid of this fear of mine
I didnt think their was so many people who felt like i do
Summer time I dont go anywhere if i can help it.
my life is surounded by looking up at the sky and wind and weather.
Its terrible.

Do you feel any better from the medication? I dont know what to do and storms are comming again we've already had like 5 in one week!
"I'm absolutely petrified it'll come out and I'll be the same, has anyone had it out? have you gone back to being sane?!"

I saw somebody say this earlier but nobody has really noticed as it was quite a long post.

I am due to get the implant out tomorrow after having a terrible time with it for the past year. Mood swings, no sex drive, tiredness. So lucky my boyfriend has been so supportive.

I am scared that when I get it out I wont go back to normal :(.
hi everyone I am 23 and i use to have a very bad fear tornados and everyone around me would not take it serious, i know and i knew what tornados can do because in middle school i decided i wanted to be a tornado chaser until they started happening around me. Now i dont know who on here is a Christian but I am, I am a true Christian and as i said i was bad with my fear and so  was my 4yr old until i realized to leave it in Jesus name because storms that harm is the work of the devil and call me crazy if you want but i know whats best for this fear and its trusting the man above. I live inMD and the last couple weeks we have been getting storms again and almost everytime we have a storm there is a tornado warning. I didnt belive it at first but now i see its true when there is a bad storm approachin my area me, my boyfriend and daughter say "in Jesus name i command this storm to leave there shall be no evil here and i command the holy angels to protect us, i command u to leave storm in Jesus name Amen."  give ur life to christ and u will see what u can do.
i am so terrified of storms my boyfriend and i argue everytime it rains about the weather .he cant seem to understand my fear thinks it is something i can just ignore. i have lost my 22 year old son to a car accident , my mom and dads house caught on fire so i moved back from  louisiana to take care of them they both  got smoke inhalation and  both died shortly after moving back to my hometown . i have 2 daughters a state away and i watch the weather channel constantly to try and keep  an eye on the weather in their area . i know i have a paralyzing fear of storms and of losing them to since moving back i have lost all my family members except my twin brother and 1 aunt and uncle . my home and land here is paid for  so moving is not really an option besides where is a safe place to live from the paths of natural disaster anyway lived thru Katrina and its only gotten worse  since then  got flooded out with ike while i was at work and was standed all weekend no phone to call my family or boyfriend who was at our house  didnt know if he was ok and he  couldnt find out about me either till it was over . i  also take meds for my anxiety but i am allowed to take as many as at the time to control it and it only knocks me out if i take 2  and  that  dont make me feel any safer ...i do not go to bed when i know bad weather is coming i  pace the floor and watch the weather on my pc and tv . i wish i had a way to deal withthis it is really causes frequent fights with my boyfriend and this is the only time we argue it makes me feel like i have a serious problem please  offer advice i could  surely use some    thank you guys
sweetie, tornadoes can only happen if there is a storm. its the pressure of downward moving air coliding with the air going up that causes a spinning motion. just because its windy is no reason to be afraid. they cant just come out of nowhere. And if a tornado does happen, just go in your basement with your family. a house can be rebuilt. But seriously, they cant happen unless there is a powerful and damaging storm. you'll hear a tornado before you see it. you'll hear a loud train, then get scared. Good luck :)
I am the same way. I feel so much better when I am at my house, but if I am anywhere else and the sky is dark I start to freakout and I have panic attacks. I am so glad there are people just like me out there.
hello im 9 years old i do have this problem today my mom left she left me in
i have two sisters a 6 year old and almost a 2 year old but the thunder would not stop
So many of you have stated how I feel. I am truly amazed I am not alone. I wish we could set up a 'website' or forum for us to go to help each other. I want so bad to rid my life of this cripling fear, but unlike a fear of snakes, it's hard to face when every storm is different. I'm so tired of radar being on my computer 24/7, and not wanting to go anywhere for fear of a 'pop up'. I know what caused my fear, a tornado that caused us to lose everything, but my fear has escalated to just rain. Terrified of anything but a sunny day. Would anyone like to start a group?
I almost cried when I seen everyones stories, I thought I was all alone in this! I used to LOVE storms heck I used to sit out in them but about a year ago a F4 tornado ripped through my home town. I was alseep when the first F2 came through and we sit there in a closet huddled together and waited it out but after it was over my nieghbors came over to our trailor and told us we HAD to get out fast because an even worse storm was headed our way. We loaded in the car and drove about 2 miles to my sisters double wide, thats when the F4 tornado hit. The winds were blowing so hard that you could hear things being blown into the house and we could hear the roof tearing away. When it was at its worst we spilt up and went into the two smallest closets in the house the adults in one and one adult and all the kids in the other. That was the turning point for me I thought we were gonners and I was going to die with my children not in my arms. After it was all over we had no power for a week and when I left my sisters to see if my home was still standing we were stopped in the middle of the road b/c my neighbors house was sitting in the middle of the road, right then I brust into tears I just knew everything was lost. Every since that day I freak out when the wind blows and go into a full panic everytime I see lighting or hear thunder. I live in a mobile home so I run everytime I even think there is going to be a storm. I am away from my home more than Im home. Every one in my family used to pick on me and yell at me saying that I was being stupid but after they have seen what happens to me when a storm comes through they have become so much more understanding. One day my husband asked me to sit through just one small storm and he would be there to hold my hand the whole time so I did and about 3 minutes into the storm my husband had to give me one of his nitro pills b/c my chest tightened up so bad that i fell over on the floor in pain, he NEVER asked me to do it again. I need to figure out how to get this under control because I am rubbing my fear off on my kids b/c I drag them with me everytime I run. If anyone finds a way to live with this please let me know, because right now my life is controled by the weather 100%.
Sorry I'm late but its the clouds and if it says tornado watch of warnings and its the wind. Its suppose to have severe storms tomorrow night and I am afraid of a tornado to happen. My mom and family tell me not to be scare but I can't help it.
Hello, I'm 16 years old and I am Deathly afraid of Thunderstorms. Everytime one hits I hide under my covers and cover my ears. Especially at night, I freak out when the lights come out. I live in Miami, Florida and my fear has became more Deathly ever since Hurricane Isaac made landfall on Miami. If anyone has any cures, please comment back to me!
I am 37 years old and I have severe panic attacks when having to drive when it is storming, even raining I get antzy. It has got so bad that a lot of the time I can't even leave the house if I know it is going to storm. I have missed days at work because I can't leave the house. I am having a slight panic attack right now because I have seen that we are going to have severe storms tomorrow afternoon right at the time i usually pick my son up from vacation care. I wont sleep tonight thinking about it.
I have no idea when my fear actually started, it is really only driving that panics me the most, if I am at home I am usually fine (although we just had a large storm recently where my car was quite badly damaged in hail approx 8cm). I do remember being in a smallish cyclone back at primary school where I was trapped in a classroom with just my sister and a teacher, watching trees being torn out of the ground around us, but it has only been probably in the last 10 years that I have had panic attacks.
I used to drive quite a distance to work and back and being from Queensland, Australia we are prone to very severe summer storms, so on the way home I would often have to leave the freeway and find shelter in a shopping centre carpark at least 3 times a week. Even as a passenger I freak out completely.
some of the things I hate are:
- not being able to see the road when it is raining heavily
- the fear of hail hitting the car and breaking windows
- intense fear of having an accident because of the rain/wind/hail etc.

I just read ur comment on storms and just was wondering if u were still having problems overcoming storms?? Ever since my daughter was born I've been having severe anxity abt weather...uggg it drives me crazy.  
I believe it's the weather channel and modern technology these days that make people that have a small fear of weather become an even bigger one. I have a fear of tornadoes but who doesn't? Modern technology has made it possible for the weather service to see things better now than even 15 years ago. When I was in my 20's we never had a tornado warning in my town (south alabama) and I had never heard the tornado warning siren go off. Now in the spring or winter there's several tornado warnings with fronts moving through. The weather channel is the worse. Have you ever really noticed their language? It's all negative. Turn that mess off and listen to something positive. I think the people on the weather channel go to school to learn how to keep people tuned in. Without bad weather you wouldn't be tuned in at all. They're all about money but they're causing a lot of fear in people. Watching it constantly only makes you dwell on weather. I heard one weather channel anchor say"Watch out in south west Tennessee showers all around. Whoopy doo-a stupid little rain shower. We need to watch out for it. Lol what's it going to do to us? Nothing but clean the air and make everything pretty again. Cut the umbilical cord to that stupid weather channel and you'll see so much more positive thoughts in your mind!!!!
hi mississippi42. i too am afraid of thunderstorms and tornado watches and warnings. i can't be still when i know a thunderstorm watch or warning is in effect, i pace all around the house all the time. i have every tv in the house on the weather, in fact we have a thunderstorm watch right now until 11pm. it's 6:30 now. i like u live in a mobile home and i am terrified! i try to keep the faith and read my bible but it's so hard when you are afraid, my husband too thinks i am crazy, and sometimes i think i am also. i have anxiety pill that i take that seems to calm me down a little then i just get in my closet and shut the door when a storm comes. i ask myself what am i afraid of? let's try to stay in touch and fight this thing together! sisters in fear!
Hi Greddly, I like you are deadly afraid of storms, thunderstorms, watches, and warnings. and tornado watches and warning have me with anxiety attacks. i too have to leave home when they say that terrible T word. I'm 53 and don't have a cure yet to this terrible fear, have been terrified all my life. but i never seem weather like this before. right now we have a thunderstorm watch. i have every tv on the weather. i live in a mobile home and want to move so bad i just can't stand it. my husband thinks i'm crazy! i have to go to my closet and sit there until the storm is over, i have fled to my landlord's house or even to a hotel,(so expensive) let's try to fight this thing together and stay in touch! sisters in fear!
hi darling, i am sorry that you are afraid of storms, because i know how u feel I have been afraid of storms all my life and i am 53 yrs old. my family does not support me either. they think i'm crazy! now unlike u i have never seen or been in a tornado, but that doesn't stop my fear! when we get a tornado watch i have to leave my house(double wide mobile home) i wish it was some kind of cure for this. it makes me feel better knowing that there are other people just like me, let's stay in touch and try to fight this thing together! sisters in fear
Aim it afraid of rain or lightening storms but wind and high winds. There is a storm coming up on Christmas Day. I am having panick attacks and feeling like no one understands me. I am having panick attacks, sick to my stomache and wanting to hide. I don't know what to do and really feel like no one can help me. My husbund supports me but does not understand it really.  It is a paralyzingly fear. I don't want to move. I watch it from the window and rock. It is not until this year that I let everyone know how I feel and feel like I am still alone except for a couple of ppl that understand. There is one person that uses earplugs. I know there is nothing u can do to help me but it feels better to talk to someone who knows what I am going through. I live in Nova Scotia Canada and we get some doozies of storms here. Last year the winds got up to almost 150 Kms. Very frightening and now we r expecting wind gusts up to 110 or more Kms. Ty for listening to me.
Have sinned and not worthy? What do u mean
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :) I've always been a bit wary of storms but never truly terrified until after a really bad storm in April 2013 where my entire family had to retreat into the safest room in our house (we don't have a basement or storm shelter). And then when the Moore tornado hit in May (not too far from where I live), it got even worse. Now every time we get a severe thunderstorm watch/warning I'm always hovering near family or hiding and trying to distract myself when I'm alone. Thankfully my parents and brother are pretty supportive (guess it helps when your mom has a degree in psychology, lol). I bought a laptop partly so I could keep an eye on the weather whenever it happens though and sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes it worse.
I am 14 to and i am terrified, so scared that i go in parents room and sleep with them. Sometimes i get so scared I cry myself to sleep.
I have a horrible fear of storms as well. I am 20 years old and I live in Ohio, not too many bad storms occur where I live but we do get a lot of warnings. My main fear is a tornado killing me. I know this is rare but my fear gets so bad that I will call off work if I know a severe storm is coming, and 99% of the time nothing happens at all and everyone thinks I am crazy and need to be on medication. I know what to do during storms and I understand them but when I am in the moment I just lose it and I have no idea what do to.
I have the same fear I get really scared of bad storms iam scared now because it might get bad where I live it says on the weather channel only tablet showers and thunderstorms some storms might be severe and I am freaking out
I am Syd and I have a huge fear of storms. I am 13 and started fearing storms when I was about 9. Right now there's a wind storm and it is scaring me so bad I don't want to go to school, but I am going on a family trip next week so I can't miss school. I have the biggest fear of wind. More than any other storm. I don't believe in global warming because I am afraid to. I hate this fear. I would rather have a less common fear. Right now I only have three fears and they are, claustrophobia, heights, and storms, and I would rather have 10 times that if they were less common then storms and heights are. During a storm I excuse myself from wherever I am and go to my room. I put an eyemask or something to cover my eyes, and plug my earbuds in to block out the sound. I have been searching for 4 years to find a cure and haven't found one. Sometimes I lie to myself saying "that was cool" and stuff like that. Sometimes it works for me. Also I will open my door during rain storms and just watch the rain fall and it calms me down.
When I was a little girl I was so scared of storms and so was my mother. I remember laying in my bed with her and hearing rain I immediately started crying my mom clenched my hand and said its okay sweetie. I kissed her and she said that rain is just clouds crying tears of joy and thunder is God bowling. Lightning is God smiling ever since then I have been fascinated by storms. So when you are upset just think of other ways to imagine the situation and just so you know my mom and I are safe nothing can happen to you with a little water!
Hi my name is Izzy and i am 16 years old, usually when there is a thunderstorm I am terrified. I am also scared of the Amber Alerts! I will usually go up to my room and watch a movie on the did player or watch Netflix on my PS4, so that I don't have to hear the Amber Alerts! I sometimes also will go under my covers and put my giant Fluffy headphones on my ears and watch YouTube videos till the storm is over or has calmed down, under the covers so I can't see or hear the storm. I'll also sometimes go in my parents room and snuggle up with them. My parents also will just let me go in their room and watch On Demand and recorded shows, so I don't have to see the Amber Alerts. I always close my blinds, or the blinds to whatever room I'm in, and have the lights on so I can barely see the loghtning! I hope this helped...
I ment to say DvD player not did.
sorry for all of the typos and #'s and stuff. my phone has real bad auto correct and I usually do this kind've stuff on my computer!
I'm 14 I've always had such an awful fear of thunderstorms, I get so stressed I'm sick and I shake and cry. There's a lot of thunder rumbling around today, and there was one at school and all my friends were staring at me. I wish I had a different fear, no one really understands. My parents, when I was young, told me to get over it and it never helped. I used to be so scared of rain because I thought it would trigger a thunderstorm. Then, I was in Spain and there was a massive storm, my dad made me go outside and stand there until it wasn't safe, but it really helped, I'm not saying stand out in it but try to ease yourself into it. Take little steps, like turning your music down then when you're ready have no music, then watch it. This is what I'm doing and it's really helping, just take little steps though
I never used to be afraid of storms, but that was before I bought a house and a microburst storm caused damage in my neighborhood a few years back (we lost power for nearly 5 days when large trees and power lines were knocked down).  Now I can't stop obsessing about the weather and fearing a nasty storm every time there's a bad weather prediction.  I'm perfectly fine with storms if I'm experiencing them far from home, so for me it's the fear of damage to my home and property.  I don't even watch the weather forecast on TV any more, because it might make me anxious for days if I know there's a storm approaching later in the week.  My wife even knows to change the channel or mute the sound if any talk of the weather comes on.  She always tells me not to worry since it's far beyond my control, but I can't seem to help it.  We recently purchased a standby home generator (powered by natural gas) that automatically switches on and powers half the house (including important things like the sump pumps, heater, fridge, certain lights, etc), so that's at least helped to alleviate some of my fear.  It was pricey, but I think it was worth it to help my anxiety and stress.  I'd recommend that to any of you who don't like losing your power.  I still get a little worried and angry, though, especially if the weather service is predicting severe storms like they are for tomorrow.  I wouldn't have even known about it yet, but our district representative sent out an email to everyone on his mailing list and it popped up in my inbox a short while ago.  D'oh!  I just wish there was something more I could do.  I know I can be pretty unreasonable about it, but I guess it's just part of being a homeowner.
I have axiaty to wind and storms but expecially wind
I dont know how o can get over my axiety issu
I am TERRIFIED of thunder and lightning. My best friends and father love it. I live in Central Texas and it will storm like crazy. It will rain, and then stop. Rain, stop. Rain, a tree will explode or something and then stop. So, your not alone.
I do. Especially when there are severe ones with possible tornadoes. I never used to be afraid of them but my brother likes tornados and he's watched various videos on them. When he started watching them I started to get anxious during storms. There hasn't been a tornado in my area in like 50 years but there is always a first time for everything I guess. Tomorrow I am babysitting and there's going to be a huge storm so I'm freaking out. But I would try to just look out the window during a storm for a little bit to see what's out there and stay on the lower floor of your house and watch a movie but stay alert for any serious weather warnings! Hope I help!