Anxiety Community
does ativan really help ibs?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

does ativan really help ibs?

Since my anxiety came back I've been dealing with ibs symptoms regularly. Its put a huge stress on my life and creates a vicious anxiety ibs attack circle. I take xanax on an as needed basis and it kind of helps with the symptoms but not entirely. I've been told ativan is not only an anti anxiety but is also used to treat ibs symptoms. Is this correct? And if so has anybody taken ativan because of anxiety AND ibs? I'm just curious because I may talk to my doctor about potentially getting on ativan instead of the xanax.
I have never heard of that. I have IBS too and I cant recall if my symptoms were better while on ativan or not. There was not an increase in IBS symptoms when I went off it. I find the best thing I can do for myself is fiber and just watching what I eat. I understand how it puts stress on your life. I can not eat out unless I am close to home. Might be a good question for your doctor for sure.
If your IBS is being caused by anxiety, then yeah, ativan might help, but since it's a drug you shouldn't take regularly if you can help it, there are better ways to try to deal with the IBS.  There are a couple ways anxiety can cause or worsen IBS -- not chewing your food thoroughly, and a digestive tract that doesn't work properly because of the stress.  There are benign natural things you can try first, such as aloe juice, DGL, digestive enzymes, fiber as mentioned above, eating more slowly, adjusting your diet and when you eat, meditation, a whole host of things.  I'd do some thorough investigation before I used a benzo regularly for a digestive problem.
There are medications designed specifically for IBS and a Gastroenterologist can discuss these with you.  I suffered with IBS for many years and was never given a benzo for it.  Anxiety can have a big impact on our digestive tracts, and if this is the case with you then you may feel some relief from the Ativan.  Diet, fiber and exercise all help with IBS to a point, but seeing a gastro doc in regards to what is best in treating your IBS is what I would do.
I have taken Ativan twice in the mth or more that I've been having ibs symptoms .... And YES it has completely taken the pain away both times ... I suffer all day and finally take an Ativan and it's gone ! ... I had Ativan fir other purposes but used it very sparingly ... Just thought I would try it one day during a bad bout ... I will be asking my doc for more of those ... Unfortunately the make me sleepy .. But the cramping is harder to bare than the sleepiness ... Best of luck to all who suffer with this debilitating syndrome
melimeli BRING BACK THE NEWSFEED! Comment
17 mins ago
drewc987 commented on A very inspiring colu...
59 mins ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms