Anxiety Community
does derealization go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

does derealization go away?

im a 20 yr old female and iv had derealization for 4 months now. it has not gone away not once. i feel spaced out, but werid all the time like these are not my eyes im seeing out of . i have no idea why i got it (which makes me not understand how i got it)  i never thought i had anxiety either or was very stressed? its the worst feeling in the world and im just scared to death it will not go away. does it? what are things would help me recover? i would really appreciate anyones help!  for the first 3 months thought i was stuck and that i had to have hurt something in my body but iv had a mri, cat scan, spinal tap and tons of blood work that come back normal. i was so depressed and scared but now im just trying hard to beat this thing if its possble. my emotions are up and down all day long. one min im like ill be ok i have hope an the next im scared again and just want it to be done or think it wont go away. hope i get some answers, thank you.
  • Asneezia (4 replies):
    Does anyone have any information on this disorder (Asnee...[more]
I wish I had an answer. I really do. I have the same episodes all of the time, daily right now. Depersonalization and derealization. I don't have any tools to offer, I really wish I did. It's all I can do to hang on when it starts. It's like a slow emotional anesthetization that ends with me not really being here. I can't stop it, I can't control it. I've read it's anxiety based and I'm trying to see if I can see a pattern, something to give me some idea of when it will happen, even if I don't know why. I'm also bipolar and have BPD so my emotions aren't reliable anyway. But while I can't offer a cure, I can say you aren't alone.
Hey hun. For sure your not alone. I have had it also for about four months and still going.. I know it will go away. Its just that we focus on out much more so it stays.. The only advice I really have is try to not let it scare you and do more familiar things to get your mind back to the normal state.

I know its easier said then done but it could help. Try to start doing more things and not let it keep you thinking of it while it is happening.

Are you on any meds?? And have you seem any therapist?? They may be able to help.. Researching things in the net while having anxiety is not good but in things case have you researched it on the net to see possible things to nice on from it??

I'm so sorry I couldn't give you more things to help as to the fact I believe it has to just take its course. And yes it will and could go away. Its just how long it will take. Hoopoe you start to feel better I'm here to chat if need be..
You may want to look into a doctor for anxiety or depression. Derealization stems usually from stress and anxiety, but they shouldn't be lasting as long as they have. See a psychologist or psychotherapist, maybe one of them can help you.
It does go away. I have had it off and on over the years after stressfull events. Dont fight it because it will only get worse.

as uncomfortable as it is, derealization is harmless. DR/DP are the results of a stressed brain. I believe I sent you literature on this condition. That explains everything that is happening to you.
I've had this for years if like this all dat. I'm starting to lose track of whats real and whats a dream. the only escape is death
I'm so sorry to hear of your symptoms; they are indeed very scary. I have had these and still do. I've had a very stressful few months (won't go into it but is was BAD) which culminated in me having what I now know was a severe panic attack.  I got very very bad depersonalization and derealization as a result. I was so freaked out and scared that the only thought that kept me going was that I'd kill myself.

However, you say that you're very scared all the time and worry about this constantly. This is what's stopping it going away. This is usually regarded as a symptom of another problem (anxiety, depresion ect) but can be so terrifying that the person starts to focus only on this and then it becomes the dominant issue. The best way to deal with it is to try and forget its there. Thinking about it only makes you MORE inward looking and thus MORE seperated from the world around you. Easier said than done. But that's what I've been doing and while I still have derealization the depersonalization has all but gone - I feel like myself again even if the world around me still feels fuzzy and far away.

Don't be scared, you can get over this if you change the way you let it influence you. Don't obsess over it and don't let it win. Get on and live your life like nothing is wrong and it'll go eventually. But if you have depression/anxiety you should make sure you go to your doctor. I'm 30 and never knew I was anxious until now. Get out of your bad thinking habits while you're young :)
Hi just want to say depersonalisation will go away!! Last April I was going through alot of stress and thought smoking pot would help me well it did not it made me 100 times worse I instantly got panic and anxiety attacks afterwards I was constantly lightheaded and felt like I was in a dream like state it was horrible I was so scared, just want to say you are going through the worse of it now and things can only get better just be string it's easier said than done believe me. I stopped going out places, I thought I was going insane I actually called a mentally insane hospital, but they would not let me admit my self, so I went to doctors and explained and they don't have a clue they just prescribed me with anxiety tablets, got tests done all came back normal then after a month of nightmare I thought **** it, I am going to get my life back so I stopped smoking and drinking, started eating all healthy foods, fruit, orange, apple juice and just water. I joined a gym and went near enough everyday doing cardio and weights, went to sauna 2 times a week which is really good for anxiety. Went swimming 3 times a week. When not at gym tried not to think about it 2 months past still had it but I was strong and dedicated and kept going after that it gradually got better noticing the difference 3 months later I was 100% back to normal also no anxiety at all, it has all gone. I appreciate life so much more now I am so sociable and a bonus I don't waste money on cigs and have a toned muscle body. I know you can get better, I had many times where I felt like giving up, 1 min later I felt I can beat it! Constant mixed emotions. Vitamins a good aswell, remember your going through the worse of it now, if I can do it anyone can trust me. If you need any info or support I will do what I can :-) takecare and remember you are not alone.
When I had this I used bachs herbal remedy spray which helped instantly.. Hope you get better soon x
ive had dr for 18 yrs and have never felt it get easier. i used to get it for minutes in a day for a couple of years as a teenager, but one day i had it all day and it never went away. im working on getting my sleep as healthy as possible because i think it might be the biggest culprit behind all of us dr or dp sufferers! even as a young teen i remember never really getting good rest even after sleeping for 8 plus hours. some of us never get rem(rapid eye movement) sleep. if we dont get that our brains get extremely weak and confused( sounds like dr and dp doesent it)? im sure some of you remember how colorful and real everything used to feel? and im sure some of you remember only feeling symptoms close to dr or dp when you used to stay up partying, hanging out with friends, watching tv till the next day. dr and dp are symptoms not a disease! but im now starting to think that my sleep deprivation over years of not getting rem sleep caused my anxiety and dr, and not the other way around. the best way to describe dr  or dp is like being in a dreamlike state". we can sleep all we want, but if we dont get in to deep sleep you will feel like this all day(dr and dp). I just got my cpap and i hope this helps! i will fill you guys in on how its working for me if i end up getting my deep sleep. i thought i was sleeping and just felt tired all the time, but my sleep study showed that i was wrong! later,,
oh i forgot to mention that it was a hint for all of you to get a sleep study! just because your eyes are closed and even have a dream or two, doesent mean that you are getting the sleep required for your brain to replenish and repair itself! i bet we are all low in adrenaline and have very weak adrenal glands as well...
Bryan here, 21 now, lived in a house full of smokers but i moved out. peer pressure into smoking a couple times, feel out of it all the time, like im in my own world, and people look at you like theres somethin wrong with you. ive had it for a year now, trying to keep busy but its hard.....same with you been to all tests but its a mental problem....maybe a family issue, drugs you had? but the cause aint important, exercise, eat right and keep busy.
I've had dp/dr since June this year. All began after a heavy night drinking and sniffing Charlie to awake the next day feeling depressed and seeing reality in a new dimension. Like most people the world wide web quickly produced a name for how i was feeling, and the classification instantly reassured me. Unfortunately it affected my work and I was forced to leave London and return to my home country of South Africa to live with my parents at the ripe old age of 25.

Since returning, my symptoms have subsided a little, through talking to friends and family and I think seeing a therapist is definitely on the cards. The derealization aspect really annoys me, as I get a kind of tunnel vision when talking to people and it can interfere with my logical thought processes. I have noticed that doing exercise i.e running, definitely relaxes you and makes DP/DR easier to cope with. Thankfully this little setback hasn't affected me intellectually, although moments of intense brain fog do. I guess the key is to eliminate stress by eating right, exercising, socializing, and reading which gets the synapses firing and has caused some people to immediately snap out of it.

I haven't experienced resensitization yet, but holding onto that dream makes this dream more manageable.
Keep the faith.
I've had it for 14 years non stop, and at this point I can't tell you 'it will go away' like others. It went away only a few times during those 14 years, and only for a few seconds. I know it 'can' go away, I just wish I knew how, I know I will find a way - but I think when you ask if it goes away, you're thinking in terms of the following weeks, and I can't tell you for sure that it will. Don't let it make you panic, but do take it seriously if you can. Talk to psychiatrists you trust, read books that can help you figure out your brain, talk to others who have it and see if there are ways that have found to manage it - such as not drinking coffee... Consider psychotherapy, as the causes of DR are deeper than consuming substances that might trigger it.

As the years will pass, it could affect your life in more subtle yet profound ways than feeling like you're in a dream - it's affected me at all levels: inability to plan, to socialize like others, to be understood by relatives, it's affected me professionally, etc. But the worst is, my brain is getting accustomed to being 'detached' and becomes less effective at processing information - like a muscle that doesn't work out and become week. When I just got it, I thought it could not possibly last more than a few days, then a few weeks... it's been 14 years... Take this seriously for your own sake, and know that it's manageable so you can treat yourself right... I wish you the best of luck :)
Perdon my bad English.

I had the same problem 5/6 months ago(probably from MJ). Then I started taking Bromazepam 3mg once a day and it helped me wake up. Most psychiatrists prescribe Clonazepam for depersonalization/derealization, but Bromazepam seemed to work for me.

I also did some reading on "logical fallacies" and adopted the thinking patterns. Now I try not to misinterpret simple events of life based on the list provided by wikipedia. Sounds crazy, but I had to try something.

Best of luck !
thx for this i really feel good  thx thx
thx for this dear  i really feel much good . i look every where to found someone like you to help me . i soory my english not good
Derealisation

Introduction
I am a self-diagnosed suffer of derealisation which I have had for just over 3 months now. When I first realized that I had this disorder the first thing I did was search in internet for information and advice. I was very distressed to see that there is hardly any content whatsoever on the internet about derealisation. The reason I’m writing this is because I want to share my personal experience and strategies I use to try and counter derealisation.
Derealisation is a state of mind in which people can feel distant or detached from the surrounding world. Sometimes during a period of high anxiety or stress the symptoms can become more pronounced. The symptoms closely relate to the high that is obtained as a result of cannabis consumption. Dizziness, high anxiety, and feeling of detachment are the most common symptoms.
(Personal experience) I can feel like I’m going through the motions of life but not actually living life, it’s as if I have one foot in this world and the other foot in another. To describe it as dreamlike would be going too far, I still have full control over all of my actions but sometimes I do have to question if I have actually done things or if I’m just imagining it. Memories from the past can seem distorted and unreal; when I look at photos of past times I sometimes have to really think hard in order to remember them clearly. Another part of my life Derealisation has affected is my attention span, even in topics I find interesting I struggle to apply myself to. It’s always there; it’s as if I’ve become numb to everything. Day after day passes and I struggle to even recall the events that happened. It sounds stupid and most people I’ve spoken to don’t really understand. It’s one of those things that are really hard to put in words. I’ve done a significant amount of research into derealisation disorder and it seems to be fairly common. But from a medical perspective there seems to have been very little research done into it. The only way I have found to counter derealisation is to try and forget it’s there, this is extremely hard to do but it is possible. I find that if I apply myself to activities that I enjoy then I can sometimes forget that it’s even there. I find that if I constantly think about derealisation then the symptoms become worst that’s why it’s best to try and block it out.
(Things not to do) Anyone who derealisation or any mental disorder should definitely avoid all mind altering substances. Cannabis especially will dramatically enhance the symptoms of derealisation to a seriously unpleasant level.
(Countering derealisation) There is no medical cure for derealisation; no pills will make it go away. The only way to confront derealisation lies within you. The best thing to do it always keep your mind occupied because if you’re always thinking about something else then you won’t be thinking about derealisation. Watch films and participate in sports or any other recreational activities that you enjoy. Keeping your mind active and doing things you enjoy will stimulate your brain to naturally release dopamine which will ultimately lead to a better state of mind and a more positive outlook on life. Sleep is also very important, I find if I haven’t slept well the night before that the symptoms become a lot more apparent.  

Social interaction is another key feature in overcoming derealisation, talking to people not only stimulates the mind but it is also very reassuring. I recall feeling very isolated from the world in the first few weeks of having derealisation. I felt changed and became paranoid that my friends wouldn’t like me anymore; it was as if I was trapped in a world of my own. Of course this was a total misconception. But that aside talking to people did really help me overcome the feeling of loneliness.
During stressful times the symptoms of derealisation can often become a lot more noticeable. I have found that when I have something of my mind which is worrying me I can become very anxious and feel even more distant than normal. Anxiety can cause sleep deprivation. When combined sleep deprivation and anxiety can lead to very intense derealisation which is extremely unpleasant. I have found that taking each day at a time and dealing with problems and they occur helps, because that way I avoid long term worrying.
(Dealing with intense derealisation) There isn’t actually a correct medical terminology for when severe derealisation occurs, but for writing purposes I’m going to call it a derealisation attack. When a derealisation attack occurs I feel extremely distant, my vision becomes very trippy. From personal experience I believe that the symptoms that occur during a derealisation attack closely relate to the high that is obtained a result of cannabis consumption. Derealisation attacks can be triggered by a number of things, taking mind altering substances, high levels of stress/anxiety, or sometimes they can just occur randomly. When suffering a derealisation attack I find the best thing to do it take deep breaths and close your eyes. Closing your eyes takes away the visual aspect of derealisation. I then think about something totally random in order to try and distract my thought process. Usually I find this technique works.
I've had derealization for the last 7 years.  Mine comes from a benzo withdrawal.  In the beginning the dr was as bad as it gets.  I was like a walking statue and when I was left by myself time would freeze and I would just stand there unable to even initiate thought.  Unfortunately I was in one of the worst xanax withdrawals in the history of the drug so what thoughts did occur to me were completely psychotic and hideously deranged.  I was frozen with no space or time.  It was a dark, colorless, two dimensional vacuum where nothing registered, had an identity, or even occured to my mind as shapes/forms.  
Now after doing 7 years of time mostly by myself (as you cannot relate to others enough or even to your own humanity) the layers of derealization have slowly fallen away and I am left with what I believe is something akin to the last layer.  I am now having windows of reality and can see through it here and there throughout the day.  Colors bloom and swell and as things pop out of the dr I find myself doing double takes to understand what it is I'm seeing.  I'll see myself in the mirror sometimes and it starts to register again after all these years.
Maybe my case is a little extreme for this blog, but it is what it is.  For me dr is like quicksand when it's really bad.  The more you think when you're like this the more you're going to sink into it.  When I see this happening I just give up everything and let go.  I stay on the surface of it.

When you're normal the things around you register when you look at them and so they have an identity.  This goes for everything from objects, to experiences, to events.  When dr strikes you must realize this and not allow yourself to begin thinking in terms of the nonregistered reality without
regard to these identities.  If you do you're going to make a mess of things and sink deeper into it.
Usually I'll use spirituality in order to give up everything I'm thinking and then get involved with what's right in front of me and just starting doing and thinking tactile things.  Also when the dr is lightest I'll write down thoughts I believe will help me find my way back when it gets bad.  Such as descriptive thoughts associated with the normal mindframe.
Thanks,
Jay

I have been suffering from derealization for about 3 years now.. i too think that it will never go away. However, sometimes i can get myself to snap out of it for long, or short periods of time, it's quite random. at first, it i ever got upset about anything, or cry, it seemed to make everything feel real for a while afterwards. however, i wanted to find a way to snap out of it that wasn't so negative and harsh. i found things to keep me focused. i started drawing, playing music,working out more and writing a lot. I did all of these things years ago but seemed to lose interest in them as time passed. when I tried them again, i enjoyed it a lot, and i now use them to help. they don't always work, but sometimes while i'm doing these activities, i'll feel as if i come back to reality. So, maybe do something you used to enjoy, or do some research on new activities that you may be interested in will help. You're not alone, i'm only 16 and have been going through this for a very long time.
This is the worst feeling ever.I try not to think about derealization,but every minute i think about that,i think that i have brain tumor or something like that.I cant be normal again.im so freaked out.
and i feel like im in a dream and everything look strange.my friends everyone and everything. help mee
What an incredible stories and thx for the tips. I have it now 4 3 years and I feel paralyzed and it depresses me intensively. I feel frozen and every action I take it feels like it's not me. I had it after a psychose and I never came back like I tell my shrinks, family & friends. I feel very alone experiencing it. It feels like hell. I am 46. I wish you all strength.
Hello!! Me fighting against DR/DP too! This is a horrible condition, but we´re not sick. I am so glad we´re a "community" , the best thing is not to feel alone, at least, i dont believe we´re crazy. **** DP/DR!!

My best answer for a cure is to love someone, when u love, u forget and u live happier, so LOVE and at every horrible moment, remember u can be in an island with sunny days drinking a mojito if you wanted :) cheers!
Hi, Ive been reading through all the comments and most of them are what Ive experienced for ALMOST 9 MONTHS! I just have to say it's very bad. With all the heart racing, light-headed, thought you're gonna die, muscle cramps etc. I can't stand it. My mind keeps saying i'm going to have heart attack. c***! I went for medical check ups. Everything is just under control. My blood pressure, my blood test..all are normal. Then I googled to find out what is wrong with me. I self-diagnosed myself as having anxiety/panic attack. I can't believe this is happening to me. I had a good life prior to this. I miss it so much that I want my life back. If only I can cry out loud telling you guys about this, that will be so much better. Ive tried seeing psychologist but it didn't help.

Few days ago, I found an article about this thing. have u guys came acroos panicyl? It seems good to give it a shot. I just anyone's suggestion about this. is it recommended? because seriously, I just wanna get rid of this stupid thing off me!
I have found intense physical workouts snap me out of this bizzaro world. Do not drink caffeine and do not take any of the ******** medications docs throw at you after talking to you for 10 minutes. You have internalized your problems and thoughts to the point that you lost connection to the outside world. Believe me, it is like taking layers of paint off till you get back down to your bare wood. I have this crap every day, but not all day anymore, you have to just keep doing your life and stay connected to others, as that is all thatreally matters in this life. Pay attention to the world aroung you, pet a dog, run 5 miles, hug a friend, do what scares you, it seems to be working for me. To reinterate, stay away from those crazy drugs that have side effects like an acis trip, because even the guys who invented them do not even know how thay work for sure.
I can spell, just cannot type worth a darn, sorry for typos, need to proofread, the mistakes seem to invalidate the advice as it comes off as uneducated.
Hello guys. I'm long timer, had it for 12 years now. First years i was really really paranoid about everything i felt around me and all that. Now it just comes occasionally, but that is problably caused i've got used to this ****. I got a question, but have any of you guys had any moments when you actually felt that your derealisation actually got a notch more worse? This have happened to me on a number of occassions, when i was 18 it got so noticeable that i freaked out bad. I thought i already hit rock bottom with the ****, but then i derealized even more. And that was actually the first time i went after 'professional' help. I hadnt really bothered with it before, i was already in the mindset that i would have this in the rest of my life and that my brain was permantly damaged to the point of no return. It didnt help though, they didnt know what it was. And i also thought i was the only one in the world having this symptom until some years ago, i'm now 25. The most scary thing is actually that it have been gradually getting worse. I think it's why i dont stimulate my brain and do stuff that is actually bad for it, and also havent managed to change my thought patterns that is probably the cause of this. But now, 12 years later, i have to give myself a chance to snap out of this. I've had it constant 24/7 for 12 years. And i think i've had one little moment when i snapped out of it a little. I'm not sure if it was that or an epifani i got inside myself. I had a strong disscussion with myself about life here on earth and who got the answers and what it is for etc. And on the moment when my thought got me to "No one actually knows exactly what this is.." i had this sensation of relief and clarity, and that might been a moment when i snapped back a little for a minute. Not fully as i was 12 years ago, but a little bit atleast. So my conclussion is for this, having intense workout and focus on something might get you out of it. Cause i had this deep internal talk with myself and didnt mind the derealization feeling, and then 'bam' something happened. Might been an epifani though. My memory have gone up and down in periods, i think it got more worse along with the derealization feeling getting more worse, some periods i had a hard time speaking, i chuckled and didnt get it out right. I also remember i got an immense headache when i got back from a holiday away from the computer, ones i got back and played world of warcraft, i got the most ****** strong headache ever. And i just sat their still cause i didnt give much ***** back then. I've also noticed that nicotine is bad, i smoked sometimes and i felt the feeling getting worse some days after. It's like some initial process before the real thing happens, some weird emotions on the body first, and then some days later it gets worse. I also noticed early that when i tried to think my way back to how the feeling was before, it felt like my brain was fried inside, i got a very slightly burning feeling inside my head when i thought strongly about it. This only happened ones though. I react badly to the computer i think aswell, all electronic devices, got this anxious feeling inside when sitting infront of it. Now it's not so much anymore. And after spending some hours with a slight headache i could feel that it got worse some days after.

People also say time will heal it, well, it maybe will, but you dont want to be in it for 30 or 50 years. I think there is help to get out of it sooner and take action yourself. I recently listened to a person who have made a program to get out of it, it's called "Depersonalization Recovery Total Integration Method" i can highly recommend it, i downloaded it myself from a torrent, but if my symptoms get better, i will surely donate money to the guy for helping me get tools to get out of it. I recently listened to it and it made my understanding of this alot greater. People say that simply not focusing on it might help, well, i think there is a deeper cause for it even starting, and you need to  get rid of  the root cause of it to get back to normal and realizing the stuff that made it feel like that to begin with. Makes the most sense to me atleast. Also, many people tend to think that their lifes was great and all good before this happened, but that might not be the case, and that there was actually internal problems in your family and your childhood, but you didnt really notice it. This guy talkes about different disfunctional family models and what happens in them and what might had affected you in this negative way, and then what to do about it. It's really good.

But do what feels best, and take this symptom serious and do stuff to overcome it, i know i didnt, and it sure didnt help. But i think that is way cause it took so long for me to actually find anyone else having the same thing and that my mind is all wrapped up that it is useless to even try get out of it, it just wont work. But that is probably mainly why i'm stuck with it maybe. You need to take measures for it. External but mainly internal.

Good luck folks, and i hope you all get out of it. Cause life aint what it used to be with this, and you surely dont enjoy it as much now.
can add that i just woke up one day after a nights sleep and i had it. This strange feeling that something wasnt okey, world was 2D and it felt surreal, something was gone and i freaked out. For a very long time i thought the fan that blowed cold air on my sweety forhead that night caused this somehow inside my brain. (i know, really unlogical perspective, but i was a kid.) But i continue thinking that something serious had happened inside my brain for many years after. And it just felt unreal that this was caused by negative thinking patterns. But now, i think i start to realize that this is actually just anxiousness. I still have a hard time grasping that though
hey!
short intro: i'm 15 years old going on 16 and have had depersonalization and derealization disorder for almost a year, and it is exhausting. It's been a terrifying ride this past year and have had to cope not only with the given highschool difficulties and struggles but also with a draining disorder I had no idea about.Many times all i could do was cry at the fact that i felt i was losing my mind...i finnaly built up the courage to tell my mom and a month ago i began seeing a therapist. good news is we're not crazy...which to be honest helps but doesn't make the discomfort dissipate. it can be stressful...after a year of "not feeling here" the fight to get better can diminish. but there is hope. many people ave these kinds of disorders, thebest thing to remember is that you're not alone. it's been a tough year battling with depersonalization and derealization plus the given anxiety, but your hope must be preserved! i wish you the best!
hey!
oh my gosh, i finnaly found someone who got it after they woke up from sleeping!!!
You poor thing its awful i know you feel so alone. There is a website i found helped me with ynderstanding all this stuff and helped me to keep calm when things were happening to my body i didnt understand. which in turn if your calm they tend to ease off and in time you start and feel your normal self. The website is called anxiety no more and you'll no when your on it there's a blue margin at the top of the screen with a woman stood with her arms outstreched. This website is not like the others the man who created it has suffered himself and has helped many people cope.
Hope this helps keep me posted.
I am 53 years old I have had this my entire life.  It does go away.  It comes and goes.   It is horrible.  I know this first hand.  I feel for you, cause I have suffered with this for 40 years.   Try not to get stressed out it makes it a lot worse. Try to relax.  Take a nap when you can.  Think good thoughts.  Do not be scared.  It will make it worse.  If you can meditate, do so.   Get some exercise.  You probably do not feel like exercising, but try.  Keep calm. Please hang in there.  It will get better.  It will go.  Don't be scared.  
I am a 19 yr old female, I also have derealization. Have had it for about 6 months now, but have had it in the past when i was younger (that was due to having an iron deficiency).

I think you're not looking at treating it in the right way. You should follow the advise of healthy diet, avoid sugar, sugary fruit and juice as well, as sugar makes anxiety worse. You should take magnesium supplements (as a lack of it causes anxiety) and I think someone above said zinc. Make sure you're getting enough iron and omega 3,6 and 9 as well. Do your research on what vitamins and minerals do what for your body, and plan your diet around that.

ALSO no one has mentioned in this post, but if you are stressed or anxious, you will tense up your neck, you may not even realise this. Look at the link because it explains all of your symptoms and mine.

http://nhp.whitetigernaturalmedicine.com/painful-conditions/tight-neck-muscles-pain-neck

I've already had improvements in a week of taking magnesium and zinc, and cutting down on sugar and eating more veg. And am planning on seeing a physical therapist to sort out my posture and neck. I hope this advice helps ! because when i read about tensed neck symptoms things started to make sense to me. good luck and Its easier to get over than you think !
I'm 19,I have been dealing with derealization since getting pressured in to smoking pot, it wasn't my first time but it was one of my first times. My friend invited me the vapour lounge, I didn't really want to go smoke pot cuz I don't even drink. But at this time in my life I felt desperate to be her friend cuz I felt like I didn't have any friends except my mom and my aunt. Plus I was a good friend with her since highschool and we no longer live close to each other so she came from 2 hours away to visit me so I didn't want to disappoint her and say no to smoking up. So we smoked up, much more than I was used to plus the room was hot boxed and we were there for like atleast 20 minutes or longer. As Isat there I started to feel sick, to point where I thought I was gunna have a seizure. So I asked my friend to call an ambulence and she wouldn't, so she just droped me off at home. I went staright to bed when I got home, but I keep slipping in and out of reality, like deeply out of reality to the point where I felt like I was a ghost or in purgitory. That night I had myself convinced that I was dead somewhere and I'm now a ghost cuz that's how out of reality I was. This happened about a month ago and my mom thinks my friend laced the joint, but I don't know, I stopped smoking since that night and I haven't drank in a year. I went to camh and they were pretty helpful, but because of the derealization they said I've been having depression and panick disorder as a side effect. Lately I've been laying low, barely hanging with friends, been really serious lately, been having trouble enjoying myself, tired, insomnia, headaches, I really just want to be back to the happy kid I used to be. I regret smoking up that night, especially way over my limit, but camh told me it takes I think 3 months for drugs to leave your system. They told me the chemicals in my brain have been off balanced due to smoking weed that night. I promised myself I'm never going to smoke weed again cuz the doctor recommened me not to, plus I was never a fan in the first place. I did not get prescribed any meds, the doctors said its best I get better through therapy cuz the meds can be addictive. Also its weird but everything seems to feel unfamiliar as if I'm seeing it for the first time, even my apartment, looks the same but feel unfamiliar. The symptoms go on and on, the anxiety I've got in control now so I do have progress but very slow. I plan on starting to work out again even though I've been extremly exhausted and weak feeling. I'm trying to get on with my life as best I can. For the first 3 weeks of this I never told anyone what happened and I thought I had lost my mind, and occasionally I still do. I was told to buy a book called mind over mood, its a workbook and it has been helpful, it stopped the panick attacks and now I'm continuing through it.
I've been going through this for a little more than a week now. I've learned a lot. It is all mostly anxiety based (weird huh?) and trauma related. The best way to get over it is to research cognitive behavioral therapy and restructure your thinking patterns. It's the toughest thing to do, calming down when all you are is scared sick. I've been repersonalizing and rerealizing every now and then for two days now. Sit with a notebook and write out your feelings. Every time you start to feel anxious make a note of the time, situation that you're in, your body's response, and your illogical thinking. Then you restructure the illogical thoughts. An illogical thought would be: I'm stuck like this forever! the restructured thought would be: i am NOT stuck like this forever and i will get through this and become a better person because of it! The only way to face the fears of this is to keep re examining the troubling parts so they don't worry us anymore. You will gain control again I promise you just like I promised myself. Look into yourself and see if there is any personal trauma that you haven't dealt with that could be causing you unexplained anxiety. Have hope and faith that you will be better. When this first happened to me I lost it. It all seems nightmarish looking back and it really scares me to think of it. I was trapped and scared, I couldn't eat, sleep, take part in my regular life. The thoughts that went on in my mind were ridiculously existential and all time based. I thought I was living in the afterlife or in a fake life. I had to keep asking my mother if I was in the real world. I made my mother and friend sleep with me to make sure my mind wasn't transported else where while I was sleeping! My dreams made NO sense whatsoever. When I finally discovered what this was I felt relief and hope. I wasn't losing my mind and I wasn't schizophrenic! With the hope that you know you aren't going insane maybe you will get better faster. Remember to be greatful for life everyday, and be sure to tell yourself that this is real, you are normal, you are ok and similar things. Sounds stupid but it works! Please get better soon!
I first had an episode of derealisation when I 8. I did not know what was going on and was very frightened. That was in 1956. When I told my mother, she just told me not to be silly. So although I kept having episodes of it, I never mentioned it again. If it happened at work, I said I had migraine. I have never had migraine in my life, but people were quite happy to accept that.

I am 65 now. So though I have never forgotten it, I have not had an episode for many years. I am sorry to say that my 35 year old son now has it, so I think there may be some truth in the view that it can be genetic.

Anyway, I hope you may be a bit better now and it will go away in time.
Kind regards, ****
Yes, it does. Mine tends to come on and off for me. Luckily lately I have gotten it under control to where it would only last a day or 2. My first experience with it it lasted 3 months.
I know a year has gone past but I have an answer to help some others that will read through. I was 14-15 when I got this for half a little more than half a school year and it was driving me insane, everything was not interesting and I was questioning why I was living. This happened the year I moved away from my old home and I was comfortable at first in this new place but later on I hated it. During that summer after going through that I asked to move back home (was living with grams) and my dad said yes. I got on an airplane and when I arrived at my country it went away the deter.... (I don't know how to spell it) I believe this can help you get rid of it for a long time. Go to somewhere you were comfortable before this happened and it should help. You might not be as lucky as me to have it lower the affect straight away but try :) I hope you get better.
I'm 57.  Began experiencing "Derealization" off an on when I was in my late teens.  It comes and goes, depending on the chemical frame of mind my brain is in.  Something that triggers it one time may not trigger it another.  It's semi related to a Panic Attack or a symptom of Anxiety.  I noticed that sometimes it may last a few days, others, maybe a month otr two.  It occurs when I'm happy and excited about something, or whenI'm affraid of something.  I thinkl it's the bodies way of calmonig us down.  My Dr. put me on Paxil.  Helps a little, but not really worth it.  Paxil is to Depression/Anxiety as Asprin is to "aches and pains".   "Feel good" drugs won't help it.  Alcohol doesn't help.  Vallium is of no use.  Large doses of Xanax or Lorazepam work the best.  I take 3.5 g of Lorazepam (only as needed-not as a maintenance drug). and it helps.
I have bipolar I and anxiety.  Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the world  with myself in the picture, but not really there as in watching in third person. At times , I think it's a protective mechanism.  Other times I think it just stinks.  It comes and goes with me.

My name is Diana from Romania. For 3 months I have had derealizaton. Please help me and tell me what herbal remedy did you use for your state.
Alaso, please send me your answer at dia_nad***@****
Thank you in advance,

Regards,
Diana
I just finished reading your response & you gave me so much hope. I suffer from severe anxiety & derealization & I also have been working out know for about 2-3 months, I like to do zumba & other strength training exercises. But even though it wont go away I still want to have hope! I do get depressed from time to time but reading this just makes me want to try harder in defeating this demon!!thank you, God bless
hi, i've had derealisation for about the last 6 months, is suddenly got it one day and i had no idea what was going on and i remember a few weeks after, reading posts here. I was 16 when it started and so far it's been the hardest and most horrible thing that's happened to me but i just wanted to say here that i think it does go away. I thought for a while that it wouldn't but now things are getting better, it got worse and worse after it started, till it was so bad after about 2 months, but then stopped getting worse, and now it's actually starting to get better, i don't know anything about what drugs might help but i just wanted to say anyone who reads this and has derealisation have hope, at the moment i keep having days where i think, this is the best day i've had since the whole thing started! and although the whole journey's been so hard, soon i might be able to stop thinking about it all together and it might just be like a bad dream to remember.
So it might take a long time to go, perhaps longer even than i had, it probably varies between people, but just trust that it eventually will, don't start thinking you're stuck with it for life. While you have it, the things that helped me most were talking to close friends and family who care (i didn't tell anyone at first for a while and i think it would've been much better if i had), they can reassure you. Also, doing exercise like running can make you feel calmer, i'd recommend this a lot. and finally just try and be around people you can talk to as often as possible, friends or family, i just found that the times i got worst where when i was like home alone with no one to talk to and all i could do was be stuck with the problem and those times i wished i could just disappear, so avoid them! Hope anyone who reads this has hope and feels better soon, trust that you will go back to how you were before. God bless
I feel that way a lot, I never knew what it was until I read your post.. I thought I was the only one who felt that way like I was alone.. mine comes and goes usually only when I'm around a big group of people, I feel like I'm all alone in my thoughts.. although it should Get better try not to stress
h
Has anyone experience derealization that is more like a constant feeling of darkness? Almost like you have just woken up from a nightmare but the creepy feeling never goes away?
Hi guys, i had derealization episodes throughout my 20s. I had my last  episode about 4 years ago. (I am 32 now).

My episodes almost always followed nights out drinking and would last 10 to 14 days each time.  I would like to share my experiences and thoughts in case it can help anyone else.

My thoughts on what triggers it: While alcohol may have played a part in the onset of symptoms, I don't feel that it was the true cause.  What I think triggered it was intense worry and anxiety following a drinking session that derealisation was soon going to follow. I believe this stress and worrying was what caused it to occur, not the alcohol itself.  Kind of like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Having not had an episode in four years, I think the biggest cure in my case was just learning to relax and not stress so much. Once you understand what triggers it (anxiety, stress, worry) you can develop your own strategies and relaxation techniques to reduce the likelihood of it occurring.

Coping strategies if it does occur:
-stressing and worrying about it will only worsen the symptoms... Go with the flow, if you keep positive and reduce self induced stress, you can likely pull yourself out of it.
- I had never been an artistic person, but I found drawing really  helped take my mind away from the dark place it was in, giving me something to focus on.
- Music that you are familiar with playing in the background helped keep me in touch with reality and was also therapeutic.

Questions for others?
- does any one else get severe fatigue the first few days? I found myself sleeping a good 18-20 hours a day.
- I also had really vivid dreams throughout each episode and night sweats. Anyone else?

Wishing fellow sufferers all the best.

J

Yes I feel that constantly. I’m scared and disoriented, everything is bleak, dark, and flat. I feel completely detached from my family and friends, like they are strangers. It is one of the loneliest and most disturbing things I have ever experienced and I am so sorry all of you have to go through this. I would not wish it on my worst enemy and it’s so hard to ignore it when it’s present 24/7. I try to talk to my parents, sister, and fiancé about it but unless you have felt it you cannot comprehend how scary it is. I feel like I’m acting weird all of the time or that people must be able to tell something is wrong because how can I possibly feel this spaced out and negative on the inside and seem normal on the outside. I guess I’ve gotten really good at acting.
i fell like everything is a dream.  it's hard to focus on stuff and i daze off sometimes and forget im in reality.  i was wondering though if this disorder causes your brain to malfunction though.  because im very slow now and cant focus.  plus all the sounds i hear sound louder than normal and i fell weird as hell! idk what to do either.
I've had derealization continuously since 5th grade; I'm about to graduate highschool now. In the beginning, I didn't know what the hell was wrong with me. I didn't have a name for the empty, out-of-it feeling I had continuously. Looking back, I realize it was stress induced. I would try to detach myself from reality when things would get pretty bad at my house, I'd try to block everything out. What I did was to lock myself into this dream-like state. I've smoked for the past few years, but I know my derealization didn't stem from my high, because I've had it since I was 11. Smoking has actually made DR a little bit more bearable because when I'm with my friends, I know they feel like I do all the time. I don't even remember ever feeling "normal". I can't look back at a time in my childhood and think "oh wow, I was actually 'there'". My life has formed around DR. I've accepted that fact. I hope you all can do that, too.
I've been feeling strange for the past few months, when I go outside everything seems in real. I've have stopped going out and not even able to fetch or take my kids school. I've not spoke to anyone about how I feel as I thought I was on my own. I thought it could be a side affect of my medication as I am on olanzipine and pregabalin? Help I don't no wot to do its making my life hell I am a prison in my own home
I'm so glad i found this and know i'm not the only and that i haven't completely lost my mind. I started getting it last Summer whenever i started smoking marijuana more often. I don't think that's what caused it but it may have helped make it worse. Recently i've come to a realization that i have always been like this. It started as a coping mechanism for my social anxiety. i'd just detach myself from the situation and stay in my mind but now i can't make it stop. I feel like everyone thinks i'm strange and out of it. I feel like i can't keep a conversation going. Worst of all I can't remember anything that happens/happened (even in my childhood) because i wasnt truly there in the first place. All i do constantly is fear death and stare out of a window. I try to be more social and participate but sometimes that makes it even worse and i just stress more. I no longer feel like myself. But i know we can all get through this and i will beat it! Much love to you all xx
i have the same problem i feel like im just here and i wonder alot about anything and the feeling of if I'm real or if everything else is real its a very scary feeling but i do know for a fact it goes away because i had it when i was   a teen and i was crazy worried but eventually i jus snapped out of it and it was like the derealization never even happened and as for now i went to  doctor cuz i was stressed and the doc put me on welbutrin it actually made my stress worse and i started having panic attacks which scared the hell out of me and i guess led to the derealization returning and now i jus stay busy doing happy things and also setting goals like laundry dishes cleaning working on things iv always wanted to finish but never did these things will help relax me knowing my day was useful i feel for everyone that has this it can be hell to deal with at first but makes you understand life a little better once you relax  jus do things that help others and fight that feeling of i don't wanna do anything i jus wanna sit here because that just sitting there isn't helping anything i hope you are feeling better now i can't see when u posted the comment so this might be a response 2 years later lol
mishymoshymarcy I will NOT sink. Marcy come... Comment
1 hr ago
RT93 joined this community
Welcome them!
Me
3 hrs ago by RT93