Anxiety Community
feel like im going mad

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

feel like im going mad

Hi im new to this and have been suffering for ten months with health anxiety. I constantly think something is wrong with me and always looking for pains and am going round in a big circle. I cant stop focusing on these symptoms and think about it all the time .
Hi and welcome! A "circle" describes how we keep our anxiety going strong.  We worry that something is wrong.....creating anxiety which then creates symptoms.  This is starting to control your life and will not improve on it's own.
Therapy is very beneficial in teaching us how not to obcess over things like our health.  You should be living life and not worrying about every little ache and pain........but I know this is much easier said than done. See a psychiatrist for an evaluation and so that he can refer you to the proper therapist who can help you overcome this.  Hang in there, you'll work thru this with a little help and will be just fine.
It is starting to control my life, everyday i wake up with a pain and just keep thinking its something bad. I had my gallbladder removed in september and keep focusing on that area and somedays the pain feels so bad as this is what im creating as im focusing to much but i still think its somethinh else.
I can completely understand where you are comming from. I've been suffering from health anxiety too. I go from one health issue to the next.. I can't even enjoy life anymore. This is all I constantly am thinking about and I feel so alone anymore. I'm always on the internet looking up symptoms and convincing myself I have something wrong with me. It's never something small either. I think about it ALL day. I can't remember the last happy day I had. My most recent health anxiety has been me thinking I have HIV. Even though I had protected sex, I still think and obsess over it and make myself believe there was a hole in the condom or it slipped off or something went wrong and I caught HIV. I even asked my partner if the condom stayed on, was he sure, does he get tested etc. because I was so paranoid. Then I started to google symptoms of hiv and start to see I have some symptoms and now i'm really convinced. I got a negative HIV test at 9 weeks which isn't conclusive but pretty close to being conclusive but I still believe I'm infected. I seriously can't live anymore and i'm pushing everyone away from me and no one wants to be around me anymore because i'm always in such a bad mood because i'm always anxious and depressed. So just know you aren't alone, there's alot of other people out there with these same problems. It helps alot to know i'm not all alone with this problem at least..
I've been convinced I had food poisoning (listeria), diabetes, chemical poisoning, cancer, other stds, and tons of other things too.
Hi, it horrible isnt it, do you get the physical symptoms to? i have physical symptoms everyday and i think surely this osnt normal bit im told your minds a powerful thing and can do allsorts. i just want to wake up one day and not have these worries and symptons .
Yes! I feel like i'm going crazy and no one understands me. I make myself sick from this. I just wanna feel normal  and not have to deal with this but I don't know what to do anymore. Everyday I find something else wrong with me and it gets worse and worse. It's constant too. I'm thinking about it literally 24/7. I went to the doctor a few times and he didn't seemed concerned but I STILL think they're missing something and there is something seriously wrong. I just wish it would go away =(
I too suffer from anxiety and often mistake symptoms I am having as something that is REALLY wrong with my body. its a vicious cycle and can be very debilitating. I think its important to remember that doctors know what they are doing and you should trust that they would see if something was wrong with you. The mind is SUCH a powerful thing that you can't break the cycle of being convinced that there is something wrong, when in reality, you are just anxious and the symtoms (symptoms) you are feeling are perpetuated by that. I am in the midst of trying to control my anxiety as it just came back with a vengance. But this time around I am really working on telling myself over and over that "I am OK and that it is just anxiety that I am feeling" Its all about breaking this habit your mind has created. Cognitive behaviour therapy helps and I also found a local support group to join. Just remember, your case is not unique and millions, LITERALLY millions of people suffer everyday from this. God bless you guys and hang in there. I know it is hard believe me.
Hey all--

I am not a medical professional, and can only share what someone told me that was very helpful.  When I felt extreme anxiety I would be come incredibly frustrated with myself. The part of me that seemed to be getting worked up and sounding alarm bells. I would yell at myself for getting so overwhelmed of something that, rationally, I felt didn't justify my emotional response.  

Then someone told me that this part of me, that is on the constant lookout for threat and danger, really is trying to work in my best interests. Its overblown and oversensitive, but rather than getting angry at that part of myself, I should try to practice some understanding, and compassion in realizing that even if the threat is not real, a part of me is still working overtime to make sure I'm safe.  This meant that the anxiety wasn't just a simple enemy anymore that was ruining my life.  It was a part of myself that was trying to be helpful, but had been so strained and stressed that it was too sensitive. This let me open up to the idea of self compassion and self empathy.  Recognizing that if I'm suffering I should provide myself with the same kindness I would to a close friend.

I hope you feel better. *hugs*
Very true boop159, our bodies are made to panic and it is a natural thing! its just way sensitive and can be triggered with the slightest symptoms. Another thing to keep in mind is that we are more in tune with what is going on with our bodies cause we are constantly like "WHAT IS THAT?" "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?" its always important to remember to just breathe....
Yeah. I've been trying so hard everyday to not panic so much or be so paranoid but I just can't stop. It makes me feel so alone because i'm to embarrased to tell anyone how i'm feeling. I believe I suffer from other things to such as depression and maybe ocd, but I believe all of my problems are a result of my extreme health anxiety. Anxiety, depression and ocd run in my family so I wouldn't be suprised if I had all of them. I just wish I wasn't so embarrased to talk to people about this =( I get very frusterated too with myself so I tend to take my anger out on other people and am always negative and in a bad mood. I just wish I could be happy and enjoy life and not constantly have to worry and have all of these fears. I was thinking of getting some professional help but I even feel embarresed with that=( I feel trapped in my own body.
I also frequently get stomach aches, and have to go to the bathroom (number #2, Sorry for the TMI) always am feeling tired, and just want to be alone most of the time.
I feel embarassed too. I feel like my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. But he is so supportive of me. Today is a bad day for me and this forum really helps. Please know you are not alone!! I am the same way, I just want to deal with this on my own, its hard for me to admit that I have a problem with anxiety cause then its like I'm admitting to myself that its real (if that makes sense)...Talking to a professional helps so much. But because of the holidays my next appt is the 5th :(
I feel you on that, I feel like everyone thinks i'm crazy. I'm glad they have this forum too. I've been having a bad week! I cry a lot because of this.. I just don't know what to do with myself sometimes. It's actually to the point when i'm happiest sleeping because i'm in peace and not bothered by all this anxiety. Do you think I should see a professional then? I've been wanting to for awhile now but just nervous.. Your right though, i'm sure there is a lot of people who have this same problem we have who are also embarrassed about it too so they don't say anything about it. This forum does help ALOT though, like an online support group.=)
yes i found u !!!!u guys have been going tru the same situation as i have its been 3 days with no sleep hospital trips i get hot n cold flashes stomach hurts brain is restless hearts raceing i scream at my self to go away i wana b normal i wana know wat i have i know wat triggerd my anxiaty !for me it was marijuana last 2 years ago it started cuz of n ecstacy overdoze for one year i was me again then on tuesday i smoked marijuana and had a panic or anxiaty attack its been almost a week n im to the point were i think im mentaly wrong i wana visit a mental institute but i know its just anxiaty messing with my brain readding your post made me happy why cuz we r going tru the same symptoms im not alone u guys r with me i strongly belive we can over come this anxiaty n have our selfs some good old happy days i was all good until i smoked marijuana n had my anxiaty attack wat will i do stay away from drugs !i love medhelp since 2 years ago i came in n wrote about my ecstacy overdoze this site really helps!! we will b normal pretty soon :) we will help each other if u guys feel down post it if u r fighting with ur brain post if ur stomach hurts post it wen u get better let us know :) much love u guys my name is rony im 21 n we r gana b okay
I wonder if marijuana has anything to do with my problems..I use to smoke alot too and had problems with it.i hope so, i feel like i'm crazy and not normal and half the time just wanna be left alone. i obsess over this day and night!it goes from one thing to the next, i can never just feel happy and be relaxed and at peace it *****
And it just happend  out of nowhere..i can't remember exactly when this all started but i wish it would just go away already. i really wanna get professional help because dealing with this on my own isnt helping at all.. it's getting worse and worse
u will b fine go to the doctor tell them ur sympton tell them its anxiaty n they will know wat to do my brain is killing me rite now feels like a headeck they have given me seroquil to help me sleep and it worked now they gave me lorazpen n its not working like seroquil duz i might go back n talk to the doctor maybe they can perscribe me seroquil 5 days of seroquil 2 years ago and i was fine for a whole year ima lay away from marijuana n any other drugs im not a major drug user now sertanly ima stay away from them dont worry this will get better for me and for everybody possitivity is a must!!!
i feel so terrible right now, im trying to be positive and it never helps=(
Sorry i took so long! U can do it go out get fresh cold air dont drink or smoke just have a relax session ! I just came back from my friends wedding n gues wat i think i might fall asleep without anxiaty or my medz ! You can do it its all in your brain relax laugh make a conversation talk about wat ur feeling to ur friends family dont b shy it will get better i might get looks like im going insane but hey they listen. N u will feel so much relive ! Then again if u feel like its taking control of you go to the hospital explain wat ur feeling ! For me it will get tothe point were i would shiver all night have muscle spasms n  would feel my heart would race or my brain shut down i would listen to my iner voice n just think im going crazy n yes i too have a feeling im going crazy but we r not there is help n this is one of the medhelp i am not a doctor im a human thats going tru the same thing u are going tru we can beat this anxiaty yes we will! How do u feel talk to me
So i couldt sleep i took 1 pill of lorazepam n i cant go to sleep why! The resson why is because i eat pork meat at the wedding n i took the pill n now im scared that it might have a bad affect on me. Tell me is this Anxiaty or is it just me! I wish i could fall asleep on my own :( ! U see how i went from being okay to having anxiaty i hate it
Im so glad im not the only one going through this. Ive had every symptom possible and i know its my anxiety, i just focus on the symptoms so much i think something terrible is wrong with me. i dont know what its like to feel normal, i take meds at night to help me sleep otherwise il just lay there and focus on everything and will never sleep.
Im so glad im not alone! These physical symptoms are driving me mad and surely it cant be normal to have these everyday but im told it is, this is hard for me to believe. I hav meds at night to help me sleep otherwise il lay there and focus on everything.
So how r u now?
I am going thru the exact same thing!
It is so tiring and exhausting.  I am so afraid of HIV, now it has consumed my life.  I am so sick of it.
The symptoms are really worrying.  I am afraid of telling anyone, and keep to myself most times.  I used to be so active and loved mixing around.
I tested negative at 6.5 months, but am still very afraid cos of the symptoms.
Now my muscles are smaller, both hands and legs, and the occassional body pain is still there.  I never experienced this sort of pain before, thus the worry.
I can't sleep well for months.  What is next I wonder?  Such a wreck now.
my fear is death and cancer i have digestive problems scares me but now the days go bye and my brain is thinking clear and recuperating !dont keep this to your self i told everybody n they help me hug kisses get well text messeges how r u today dont give up ull b fine do u need anything all the little thing people say can help u!u feel it killing u go to the hospital explain ur symptons they will help u and fix you there is no resson why u should go tru this bye ur self trust me we r going to b okay i know this ive been tru this many times before ull gett better soon let me know how you feel im here for you guys even thou im going tru it too :)
Thanks rony, those are my fears too. i have had countless bloods and xrays and ultrasound and ct scan as they thought i had a clot on my lung. That still dont convince me that om ok i still think thay have missed me. :-)
How did the blood result come back? Ugh its 225 and i need my sleep i have sleeping pills i dont want to tAke cuz if i do they leave me all stupid n i have to work in the morning wat to do? I got blood samples xrays urine samples ecerything n it came out ok i think the problem is mentLy but i think we r gana b okay
I took 2 sleeping pills omg its stupid but anxiaty is scarying me maybe i wont wake up maybe my heart wont take it but i had to take them i need sleep! Mentaly challenging anxiaty is!but we can beat it im going to get my sleep back n i will feel normal again and so will u guys :) put a smile on eitherway life is beautifull we r just experiencing technical difficulties lol yes i have anxiety and i am smileing :D
Health anxiety can definitely seem like a never ending cycle.  I think that is very 'typical' of almost everyone that goes through this.  In my opinion, we are intially scared, feel utter despair and are very confused, but along with these shared experiences, we also get better, break the cycle, and become much stronger people for the experience (even though we do not see it when something like this begins).

Are you able to get/currently in counseling for this?  A little knowledge about why you are going though this can really help you understand why you are experiencing this and give you the tools to confront this.

As far as the sleeping pills go....do you have a prescription for them and do you take them according to your doctor's instructions?  DO NOT take medication issues into your own hands.  Playing around with them can be dangerous.

Keep us posted!
I am going to a therapist today ! I know why my anxiaty came back i smoked marijuana n it triggerd my anxiaty! About the pills thet r over the counter sleeping aid pills non havit pills the doc last year gave me seroquil helpe alot but it was only 5 pills this time around they gave me lerozrpam it relaxed me n helped me sleep but they only gave me 2 pills so i bought sleeping aid pills read the labels seemd to me it will help they sid help me sleep but since i trydmy hardes to fall asleep on my own i ended up taking them at 3am so now i have to call off work cuz i feel drowzy n unstable not at my 100 !im getting better bye the day need to fight harder to fall asleep on my own ! What should b the next step idk recovery i hope
I called in sick today at work and my boss duznt understand that im not able to go in today im a massage therapist / physical therapist n for that i have to b 100% i think he might fire me iz there anything i can do :(
Rony all tests have come back normal so i guess the problem is mentaly but like you say keep smiling , we will get there :)
Yes my meds are prescribed by my gp wouldnt take otherwise.
Yea u see ur healthy :) me too my test ressults came back good ! My problem is mentaly too dont worry we will b fine i know soo now i just need to work on my sleep
YES!! Therapy will help you retrain your thoughts!!!
Do u take therapy? If so how is it? How do u feel?
I just started buspirone on thursday and its messing with my sleep :( I know it takes time but I am one impatient GIRL. :/ I also quit smoking weed about 2 weeks ago and when I was really in the thick of my panic and went to urgent care the dr told me that a withdrawal symptom is upset tummy.
I just started therapy and I must say after I go and just talk to her I feel TONS better. Its so easy to really just feel like you will never get better but the key is to accept that yes I have this anxiety BUT I am on the right path to feeling better. it seriously is all about your thoughts, I was ok for almost 8 yrs before I had a panic attack on thanksgiving. now its just a matter of coming out of this again I know I can do it!! I feel better already.. :D
yea weed triggerd my anxiaty from now on i will b sobber ! i have alot of friends that i talk to even my mom helps so maybe i wont go to therapy i cant afford it but yea possitivity will help alot panicgurl with what u just told me it gave me alote of strenghth n i will feel better bye tomorrow i will make sure of that !:D feeling better everytime i read this !if it bwasnt for medhelp were would we be!rite now i have muscle pain and stomack hurts and i cant sleep but it will get better anxiaty will go away
I take sleeping pills from time to time - I try not to take everyday.  And even when I do sleep, it is very disturbed.  My mind is constantly worrying.

I am really in a mess - 360 degrees change from how I used to be.  So frustrated and sad.

Just yesterday, I opened up to a friend about my problem - the only person in the whole world who knows my problem (other than this forum of course).

I intend to get another rapid test this Thursday - which means 8.5 months post exposure.  I PRAY...
how long have u had anxiaty?i hate the night i can try to sleep but its not a normal sleep its like i close my eyes rest for 20mins then i wake up n do it again im taking sleeping pills till i get my sleep back for some resson my back has been hurting alot my brain is in a confussion like if i stay still for too long i might loose it lol hopeing this goes away soon or else idk how im gana live like this !!i just try to smile b happy but me myself i dont feel my self!lets try to recuperate!!im hopeing for the best
Since May, when my fear started - got worse over time.

There were weeks where I could not even get to sleep, let alone stay asleep.

Nowadays, I can sleep (maybe too tired after months of constant worrying), but will always wake about 4am / 5am... and have trouble returning to sleep.

Really in a mess.
What do ur doctors say? I dont want to live like this it ***** i just hope for the best ! For u and for me we can get tru this together  
215am took 2 sleeping pills i feel my hear palpating idk what to do im affraid i wont wake up anxiaty feer
talking to your doctor will help you guys cope with these obsessive thoughts. because that is all they are. thoughts. you are feeding the anxiety by freaking yourself out " my heart is palpitating, there must be something wrong"...

The book "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J. Bourne really helped me understand my panic/anxiety and gives you insight into tools that you can use. I also joined a support group that I start next Tuesday. This is never going to get better for you guys if you aren't proactive in your recovery!! you have to learn to cope!! it takes a lot of work and commitment but it is so worth it. Life was meant for living, not worrying about when it will end. much love you guys, this is not something that can't be overcome.
I been feeling great for 2 days i noticed that not caring about the palpations n thoughts helps me im careless about the symptoms n it works now im just having trouble sleeping i bought some sleeping aid pills n they will help me out untill i get my self back on track hopefully pretty soon i dont want to b using pills or depend on them but im getting better everyday ;) thank u n thank medhelp i will look into the book u r talking about seems intresting !!
So i took 2 sleeping pills at 11 bye 12 i was asleep woke up at 330 because i was having nightmares i dont think i will go back to sleep eat chilly cheese fries before i sleept my tummy hurts i was thinking to much about the night mare if i would of thougt about it really hard maybe i would of had n anxiaty attack but im not careing n im just dealing with trying to go back to sleep i know i can do this lol the symptoms might n really strong but anxiaty will not ruin my life death is my biggest fear n Anxiaty plays with it all the time i will b careless about it untill im bCk to normL! Weird story last night my dad came into my room and said so the partys thAt u go to do u do ecstacy i said no why i only reyd it once ! My parents dont know anout my overdoze ! My dad said ur symptoms r just like a person who takes thT drug i told my dad i only tryd it once he said son dont do drugs i said ive tryd everything   Im not hooked on none if i tyd anything in the passt n its affecting me now then i know not to do it ever again i love my parenrts dont like to see the disapointment in there face im sorry just had to share the story
I wana b in peace !!!! I have the flue lol if its not one thing its anither lol let me b in peace life
I think im having a major breakdown anxiaty attack i cant sleep its 2am i feel mentaly ill plz god i dont want to live like this for ever ill do anything for u god just plz take this away i feel like im going crazy plz let me get some sleep idont want to take sleeping pills i had a nightmare last night and i think thats why im feeling like this now omg i dont wana die ughhhhh i wana get better n never do drugs again plz brain go back to being ur self i promiss i wont ever do anything to hurt u i know the power u have over me just guve me another chance ! I dont want to b crazy i hope i get better soon people  this is more than anxiaty or depression its mental
Hey rony keep your chin up things will get better. we are all for here for you. i have days when i just cant take anymore where ive just had enough of all these symptoms, i want to wake up and feel normal , surely thays not to much to ask.
Wen u feel like this wat do u do i just cant take it i dont want to b mentaly sick the thought that come into me r crazy then get anxiaty
I try and do thing to occupie my mind, i get crazy thoughta that go through my mind. Have you got anyone you can talk to about this? my dr suggested exercise but its having the motavation to do something.
Yea i have alot of people i talk to an i have been to hospitals n they gave me mental facilitys to go n speech with some one but since i gave no insurance im not 100% if i should do it i just pray i get better i know i can over come this
TinaR10 commented on heather727's status
35 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on photo
39 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on photo
40 mins ago