Anxiety Community
feeling like i have a lump in my throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

feeling like i have a lump in my throat

My doctor keeps thinking I have anxiety which I know I suffer from but does anyone else have a problem like mine?

Every time I eat something I feel like the food is stuck in my throat and I can't swallow properly.

I'm really worried about osophagus cancer.

Thanks Lorry
yes.  I think I constantly have food or a pill in my throat.

does it ever make you gag.  I do all the time.  If I spit nothing comes up so I dont think there is anything in my throat.

Mine is similar. It started with post nasal drip that I couldn't clear some mornings. Hard to sawallow. Sometimes it is like something is in back of throat...not lump, just something stuck..then my back of tongue or lower jaw will seem tight.
I posted a forum just like this describing the same thing,, I always feel like i have a pill or a piece of food in my throat..
place your hands in front of your throat w/ thumb on one side and the rest on the opposite side(about 3 inches apart).try to do a practice first by jerking your throat up and down a few times, then when ur ready try to cough as you jerk your throat upwards . see if it helps.do it a few times.
get your thyroid checked.
Love Venora
I too get that sensation.  I know I feel something weird going on from time to time. It bothers me when I cough or swallow and the sensation doesn't go away.  It's hard to not focus on it, but that makes you feel and think worse.  The main thing, even if there is something wrong, it probably isn't going to suffocate you.  I used feel this all the time along with gasping for air.  Anxiety is a terrible thing.  It's just best to learrn to control it.  Over time, you won't encounter these problems.  I've posted my research/findings to life style changes so many times.  Check out my comments on the other questions.  I really feel like I have healed myself.  I'm still prone, but knowing your triggers is HUGE!
I've been getting this alot latley. In class I was afraid my throat was gunna close and stop my breathing ! which triggered a panic attack
A doctor will know if its anything else. They are trained. Im being a it hipocritical as I dont believe them about most things but with things like throat lumps, they cant really go wrong. If it was cancer or a thyroid problem...or if there was any chance, he would have ordered tests. I have had this feeling countless times and usually it would set me into panic...id always think "an alergic (allergic) reaction!" and it only went when I stopped thinking or if I ate something. Its one of the things people think about when they come to anxiety hence "lump in the throat" is used to portray nervousness....which is what anxiety is...nervousness that is either uncontrolable or which we cannot see reason for. So I wouldnt worry if your doctor has checked you out...its just a horrible part of this anxiety!....but I would not suggest rubbing where it feels like the lump is or excessivly swallowing to check because this will irritate the throat more...just relax....it will go..
Just remember, when it happens, do not panic.  I usually cough and take a few deep breaths through my nose.  This way you can reassure yourself that you will be okay.  I hate it and don't understand why this happens.  Same with BREATHING!  Oh well, you just have to train yourself to understand that everything will be okay.  It's happened before and you were fine.
About once a month I will feel like something is stuck in my throat and go to the ent and have xrays taken and it is never anything. it is all anxiety, all in your head. absolutely awful though and no one that hasnt experienced it will ever understand it. fishermans friends throat lozenges help, gum helps, warm tea helps. caffeine and chocolate are bad.
It sounds like Hypochondria to me, I also experience this. I'm afraid of Lung Cancer myself but I never smoked in my 17 years of living.
TinaR10 off at 2pm today and off fo... Comment
21 mins ago
JGF25 OCD is not about reassuranc... Comment
36 mins ago
jemma116 commented on photo
56 mins ago