Anxiety Community
getting off clonazepam

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

getting off clonazepam

Am on  clonazepam  .5mg for the last  3yrs or so..My doctor is weening me off it.Half  in  the am ,half at night for 2 weeks .then just half in am for 2 weeks and then stopping. Is  this the best way to go with the least withdrawl (withdrawal) side effects...cause am reading about going down to .25mgs should i consdier that.
It is confusing....I know it's a small dose compared to most  people,but am still worried about side effects.
       thanks,
            mike
Seems very fast to come off such a tablet. Normally it would be done over a longer period of time. Let your body adjust to the new amount. Not just for 2 weeks. Can be stretched out a bit longer. And tablets broken up even smaller. To lessen withdrawls. If nervous have a word with your doctor about how you would prefer to do things. I'm no doctor. He's the expert. But don't be afraid to ask him.
Is it really just your doctor weening you off or is this a decision you have both made?  You should be allowed to take as long as you need to ween yourself, and that may in fact require more increments than just the one increment you are considering.  At the very least I would go from half in the am/pm (2-4 weeks), to half in the am/ half every other pm (2-4 weeks), to half in the am (2-4 weeks), to half every other am (2-4 weeks)
what are the side effects?
i've been taking it for awhile now too.. so what should i expect when i stop?
Namaste,

If this is the schedule your doctor has given you and you don't seem to be experiencing any withdrawal effects, I'd continue with what he recommended.

If however, you find yourself suffering from witthdrawal symptoms, you need to get with your doctor and adjust your schedule for discontinuing the medication.

Michael
I have been on Klonopin for 10 years. I was on 4x 0.5 mg daily and went to 0.065mg twice daily in a period of 2 years, had relapses and severe withdrawals. I don't know what to do at this point, some tells me to use titration to reduce every two weeks others to take it every other day and my doctor tells me to up the dose again and stay on it because of the panic attacks and anxiety. I have had severe side effects from this medication in the past 4 years and would like to get off. Any suggestion at what to do next? Welcome any comments.
Natalie
i gave up drinkin in october 2005,made 2 E.R. visits and was immediately put on clonazepam for anxiety/panic disorder.i take 0.5 mg 3x a day since,i want to get off this medication as i learned it is a narcotic in the AA program!my own experience w/others on it they always had dose raised and i never did`i am hoping to wean myself off very slowly real soon as i dont like drugs in my body.I also take 50mg of trazadone at night to sleep and find that works good enough for even depression and anxiety as well.Good Luck!
I understand that the Ashton method is the way to go which is a transition program using Valium.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

~I've been researching this option. The only thing is, I've only been on Kpin for 3 months and this schedule is a year long (give or take). So, I don't know if it's applicable to my case.
yep i have been on lowest dose and dr said it would take over a year to wean me off of it.
mishymoshymarcy If you think you've tried y... Comment
rocketgirl1210 I have returned! :) Comment
refills, and 10356 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms