Anxiety Community
how do i stop these scary thoughts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

how do i stop these scary thoughts

hello i have a question for anyone who may be able to help me. i have been seeing a therapist for about two months now and i have told her all of my fears and she has told me that she thinks the root fear of my fears is of not being in control because i gone from being afraid of (and this is stupid) being like possessed like in the movies and on tv and stuff like that. yes i know it seems dumb but it just got to me for some reason. and then i had a fear of going crazy and being put in a mental institution, and two of my most recent fears are developing schizophrenia and hearing voices and seeing things that aren't really there, and then i'm afraid of becoming a murderer who goes around hurting and killing people. and i have always been a caring person and never ever thought about hurting others or developing some wier illness until i got anxiety. so how do i stop worrying about this i have begun to get out and get my mind off of this stuff but sometims it just gets to me. has anyone else had similar if not the same fears
While I am certainly not a therapist, I can't help but think yours is spot on with her initial diganosis of what is going on with you. It will be her training and expertise that helps you find the answers.
Your fear of being possessed means lack of control.
Going crazy and being put in an institution means lack of control.
Developing schizophrenia means losing control.
Hearing voices and seeing what isn't there is lack of control.

Why you feel this way is what you and your therapist will work out together. In my totally non-medical opinion, I think your last fear, that of killing people, represents to you the ultimate loss of control.

The best advice I could give you, you are already doing, which is therapy. So be proud that you've taken such a giant step in helping yourself. And making an effort to get out more, to get your mind off these thoughts is great, as well.

Stick with your therapy, work hard at not allowing these thoughts to intrude into your life and you will soon put all this behind you.
And know that you are very, very far from being the only one who is or has gone through this,
You'll be fine. Stay strong!
Peace
Greenlydia
I agree that you are on the right path with going to therapy.  I learned in therapy that just because you have a fear it doesn't mean it will come true.  You just have to except that you have a fear or fears and not let it consume you.  Easier said then done I know.  

Your therapist can help you work through your fears and eventually you will begin to move forward.  This is something that will take time to achieve but you will get there.  Once you start feeling better then these fears/thoughts should begin to disappear.  

I wish you the best of luck and lots of good thoughts!!!

I have fears exactly like that, to the point where its like i trick myself into thinking im insane skitzo serial killer, like my mind is about to go out of control and im just going to lose it and become someone else..until i see someone who has that real diagnosis, and i realize its all in my head. If you have a vivid imagination, and panic attacks, like me, then its easy to make yourself think your insanity fears are becoming a reality, but its just a fear you have to deal with, i would get mad at myself sometimes and say screw it, go crazy i dont care if im insane im insane then, but then i just gained control. I think its just a fear you have never seriously addressed with yourself, and you should face it, and see that your not crazy.
hey me too i have had anxiety since last month and im having the same thoughts and fears about hurting myself or others. i have been going to therapy for two sessions so far and on tuesday of this following week i am going to tell her whats going on and see if it relates to your story
also im glad you put this up because i thought i was alone with this fear and by reading this article it makes me feel like there is still hope.  thank you so much for sharing i really appreciate it and good luck
I'm suffering with the same problem...do u have a # I can reach u at?
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Paxiled commented on Important Factors Typ...