Anxiety Community
is anyone else pregnant and on anxiety, bipolar medications?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hello my name is melissa an I recently found out I am pregnant. I am overjoyed with happiness but also worry bc I am on many medications. I spoke to my doc who handles my meds an he ssuggested and said to was safe to cont.. my lamictal,xanax,an ambein. He is weining me off of prisiq,topomax (topamax) and i already discontinued hydroxozine. If you think that is a lot of meds I am still taking oxycotin and flexeral for a back ingury due to a car accident that happened a yr ago. My doctor stated I could take my anxiety meds until my thirst trimester.but as far as the oxycotin goes i need to be off that as soon as possible . My spine specialist perscribes me the oxycotin for my back. I take 20mg 2x daily. She suggested going down to one for the next week then one everyother day then stop. Well if you are familair if opiates it is just not that easy to discontinue them. I have been on them for over a yr and of course I do not want to be on it no more an casue my precious gift any harm but my mind and body are dependant on this medication for pain and bc like most controlled substances its hard to stop. I have 2 boys 10,2 both which i was on ZERO meds. I wasn't diagnosed with bpII or borderline personality disorder then. I did already suffer from anx & depression but i was only on 2 meds which was very easy to come off. With both my pregnacies I never drank coffee ate and did everything by the book. I was a hitler pregnant mommy. I was so anal about everything i did or put in my body bc i was so causous about the effects it wld have on my baby. This time around this baby was a surprize and now i got to scramble and try to get off most meds and try to deal trust faithfully in my doc who says the ones i am still on are safe. I am very worried and wld like to know if anyone else has been pregnant while taking xanax,ambein, lamictal and pain med <~the pain meds will be very short term the rest of my meds will be taken thru out preg until the end of my 2nd trimester then i have to get off them. I am a nervous reck. I am hoping to meet some moms who share the same concerns i do or who have already been preg while taking these meds and all turned out ok. Please write me or post to my message. thanks so much Melissa
The ONLY doctor who should be telling you what meds you can safely stay on while pregnant is your OB/GYN. If you have trust issues with him/her, seek a second opinion as soon as possible. There may be other women on this forum who have taken these same meds while pregnant and hopefully they will respond. You might also check over on one of the many pregnancy forums. I'm sure your questions will not be new to them!
I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this when you should just be enjoying your little "surprise!"
But you can do this! Just look at your two other kids and you'll find the strength and courage to do whatever you have to to ensure this new little one will be as healthy as they were!
I wish you the very best and congrats!
Peace
Greenlydia    
meegWpaw commented on Scared and Confused
58 mins ago
TinaR10 commented on renae176's status
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on Moma_Cher's status
1 hr ago