Anxiety Community
klonopin dosage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

klonopin dosage

HELLO EVERYBODY.IM CONFUSED ABOUT SOMETHING MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP. IM TAKING 0.5 MILLS OF KLONOPIN ONCE A DAY. NOW DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF I CUT THAT INTO QUARTERS AND TAKE EVERY 8 HOURS OR SHOULD I TAKE 1/2 AM AND 1/2 PM. I WAS DOING THE QUARTERS FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS. WILL IT MESS UP MY SYSTEM IF I TAKE THE 1/2 TWICE A DAY. TY FOR YOUR HELP. JENNY
From what I have read about Klonopin, there is a specific reason for the dosage during the day.  You should check back with your doctor before you change anything with your dosage.
Jenny,

The duration of action following a single oral dose of Klonopin ranges from 8-18 hours, with a mean duration of 12 hours. If you intend to use the Klonopin as a prophylactic (preventative) treatment for a chronic anxiety disorder (such as panic disorder), it should be dosed twice daily at the minimum. When dosed twice daily at the minimum, Klonopin accumulates. The amount of the drug in your system is held at a consistent level once it accumulates. The benefit of accumulation is twenty-four hour coverage for your anxiety symptoms.

Dosed once daily, the plasma level would trough (decrease) after twelve hours, and your symptoms would reemerge or rebound. Thus, if Klonopin is used on a daily basis, it should be dosed twice daily to obtain the maximal therapeutic response.

1/2 mg, twice daily, is the manufacturer's recommended dosage. However, many folks do see a significant benefit from one-half of that dosage. 1/4 mg, twice daily. Klonopin is very potent, and to minimize the risk of untoward effects, the lowest effective dosage should be used.

There would be no issue with splitting your 1/2 mg tablet in half, and taking 1/4 mg twice daily. This would be desirable.

Do NOT abruptly cut the dose in half. To switch from once daily to twice daily dosing, the following schedule will help in preventing any initial withdrawal symptoms:

- Days 1-3: Take 1/2 mg of Klonopin in the morning, and 1/4 mg nightly.

After the third day, the morning dose is reduced to 1/4 mg. This is taken morning and nightly from this point on. (1/4 of a milligram, every twelve hours).

Should you not experience the desired response, inquire to your doctor about dosing the Klonopin three times daily (every eight hours @ 1/4 of a milligram)....OR, 1/2 mg twice daily. The lower the dose, the better.

abi112233 commented on Unexplained tongue pr...
1 hr ago
LovemyKids86 commented on cnj76's status
1 hr ago
LovemyKids86 What a day, found out my ol... Comment
1 hr ago