Anxiety Community
klonopin or valium

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

klonopin or valium

hi was wondering what is the best klonopin or anxiety for panic attacks hyperventilation?, sleep etc etc...living in tough circumstances.
30%
 (3) 
valium
60%
 (6) 
klonopin
0%
 (0) 
Candy
10%
 (1) 
None
10 Members voted
Hey,
Just getting ready for bed and noticed your poll.  We have discussed the pros and cons of various meds, including valium and klonopin.  What I take as you know is clonazapam, the generic Klonopin.  

Xanax, is best quick fix for a panic attack, but klonopin stays in system longer.  It works for me as anxiety rises when out.  Maybe someone in forum is more familiar with valium.  All these drugs as you know are intended for short time use.

Because they are habit forming, doctors (and insurance companies) like to avoid. Medicare no longer pays for benzos. My psychiatrist and I tried 5 different meds within 3 months: all caused nonstop diarrhea,  Clonazapam works: I am dealing well with son's murder and getting out again.

Take care.

i take kolonopin good stuff :)
Valium is more a muscle relaxant. If taken at a high dose you can feel it kick in and you can sure feel the come down from it as well. You know when it wears off. Klonopin is a more steady form of medication. Can cover the whole day. Longer tolerance levels. If they are both taken together on a regular basis, from what I know, the valium lowers the tolerance level of the klonopin. I take both. But only take a very low dose of valium. I was asked to take a much higher dose and said no. But each to their own.
I personally dont have a reference about Klonopin have never taken it, but i have used Valium on a regular basis.  Valium is an extremely fast acting drug, which will relax the muscles and can make you feel very sleepy, depending on the dose and how well you tolerate it, but it also wears off fast as well.  Is short acting.  So i guess it really all depends what you want to achieve really..... if your in the middle of having a nasty panic attack and want to knock it on the head quick then Valium might be a better way to go but from what ive heard if you need a longer acting drug Klonopin may be better.  
Of course we all react differently to meds, but Valium is actually a long acting benzo, unlike its fast acting counterparts like Ativan and Xanax, which are used in situations like panic attacks where more immediate relief is the goal.  Most people seem to have a little more luck with Klonopin being effective when seeking a "long acting"benzo.. I personally have never taken either, but if I was going to choose a long acting benzo versus a "rescue" short acting one, I'd try the Klonopin first.  Just me.

Of course, being that everyone reacts differently to meds, there is no "one size fits all".

Good luck!
Hiya, just thought i would say that my doctor favours Valium (in the UK) as it is a fast acting benzo and is good to stop panic attacks in their tracks.  I have taken this drug on numerous occasions with fast results as have many people i know.  
Julie...Im glad you've had luck with the Valium, but the actual "mechanics" of it are NOT short-acting.  It is actually not preferrable in most cases as a "rescue" med for that exact reason.  It takes longer than say Ativan or Xanax (short acting benzos) to get into the system and be effective, and also takes longer to leave the system, in comparison to the shorter-acting benzos. Typically, with Valium, it is chosen more as a maintenence med versus for prn or 'as needed" use b/c of it's longer half life and duration of action.

Im sure that some people have had success with using Valium as you have, and that's what it most important...but I just want to be sure that the correct info about the kind of med Valium is is out there on our forum.  
Thanks everyone, i was having a bad one today like breathing 18breaths per minute instead of 12, so i knew i was anxious. i had 5mg valium did absolutely nothing, made me tiredish but the panic was still there hovering! , I think i will try Klonopin i tried one last week and felt instant relief much like xanax does. The Klonopin feels like the daddy of the lot, and packs a bigger punch to the panic.... Mr green it's intersting you take both? can you do that...what doses of both do you take?, I noticed with Klonopin that i can sit here relaxed and talk, but with valium if people are over, i still feel breathless like i need to push my words out from the breathing thing....TS
Hi Mr Green i am not sure if you seen ^^... can u take both?
Bump!!!! Anyone take both? i want to know if you can thanks..
As we say on this forum constantly, everyone reacts to meds differently, and I don't think any of us can dispute that.

I also don't want to get into a big discussion about the pros and cons of one med over another, basically for the same reason as stated above. I just want to share my experience with diazepam. (Valium)

I have PTSD, severe PA with unrelenting anticipatory anxiety. Many years ago my doctor put me on diazepam and I tried it for 3 months. It was totally useless for me as it had absolutely no affinity for my anticipatory anxiety, nor did it ever prevent a panic attack. My muscles had never been more relaxed, but my head was a train wreck!

I was then put on Xanax which halted both the anticipatory anxiety and panic attacks.
End of story. What worked for you, did not work for me.
If diazepam keeps YOUR demons at bay, then that is the best med for you.
It is a personal quest for each of us and to everyone, I hope you either find the right med, the right therapy or the right combination of both to be whole again.
Peace
Greenlydia    
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Cara422 your status is too long (ma... Comment