Anxiety Community
klonopin vs xanax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

klonopin vs xanax

Please can someone tell me which is better?
I am on Tareg for blood pressure, from specialist....then my GP put me on Wellbutrin and klonopin .... which my specialist took me off and said take Xanax only with the Tareg.
Any comments much appreciated.
Tags: xanax, Anxiety
xanax is a stronger, faster acting benzo. klonipin (klonopin) is a longer acting benzo and in my opinion not as strong. but then nothings working for me right now cept valium and even then i need large doses (like 40mgs at least) but my anxiety is from withdrawing from opiates and alcohol so i might not be the best person to answer this one. I do know that xanax is one of the strongest benzos...
Xanax is very strong and addictive because it is, as bettie said, faster acting and the effects are short lived.  You should ask your specialist why he/she would have you take Xanax instead of Klonopin.  Does Klonopin and the Wellbutrin have some sort of negative reaction when taken with Tareg?  
I read your profile and wow, you are so candid.  Good for you though.  You seem like a very positive person and a proactive one in terms of making yourself better!

Best wishes!
Thank you Bettie for your input here, I appreciate it and I wish you all the best...you can do it ;-)
Thank you Raine, I have jsut had my sons memorial and his birthday woulod ahve been enxt week, so maybe sub consciously all this is takign it's toll. If you'd like to read  bit how I got to where I am slowly....  www.cranalysis.co.ls
Thank you for your kind words. I have had it rough in life, but am a survivor and strong iron will that I never ask " Why me? "  I always say " try me" :-) You gotta stay positive, but it's sooooooooooo hard.

Thank you Ryan for your info here, I really appreciate it. I became very sinus congested and mucousy on Rivotril " klonopin. I have stopped the Wellbutrin, as my specialist said, exactly what you say here, it caused Blood Pressure to raise. I woke up 2am this morning straight into a panic attack...they wake me up. He has changed to Zanor " Zanax" to try, if this fails, I will ask for valium maybe. I am not depressed at all, just get hit with no warning with panic feeling. I have always been such a strong person, but as you will read on my sons website, I had a very abusive husband, divorced him weeks after my son died..but it all catches up with you, and with me because as a child I was never allowed to express myself, I keep things inside, and put on a smiley face and sub consciously it wacks me ( smile)
Your knowledge is very very impressive Ryan. I have seen how much you have helped others on this site. You are an absolute Angel for helping so much.

Thanks for reading this.

Take care everyone :-)

Elaine
"Klonopin is the agent of choice when cardiac manifestations of anxiety are present. Xanax is not approved for the long term management of anxiety disorders, and will lead to rapid tolerance and loss of efficacy due to its short half-life. This will cause severe problems in the near future."

I was told by the last doctor I saw that valium and xanax were the strongest of the benzos. At least for me xanax is certainly stronger because back when I was abusing I could take 4 mgs and pass out. If I take Klonipin (klonopin) it does nothing for me. I also wanted to add that all the benzos Ive tried (valium aside) recently, ativan, klonipin (klonopin), librium, have worked for a few days and then done nothing to help at all. Im very aware of how addictive xanax is and its definitely not for long term use. Just wanted to clear that up.
bettie1976/ryan   So Valium and Klonipin (klonopin) are similar?
Thank you so much for this excellent info.  I have to write it down free-hand, the computer cuts off the r-side when I print.  I am going to talk to my doc re: Valium.    
Wow.  RCA7591 posted some scary dosages.  To readers:  if you're the type to self-medicate, please consult a Pharmacist rather than RCA7591's post; I guarantee you that a PharmD will say 10-20mg of xanax or klonopin 3 times daily is very dangerous...especially for a starting dose--you'll fall into the deepest sleep you've ever been in within 15-30 minutes of taking 20mg of xanax or klonopin your first time; if klonopin, you won't wake up for quite a while.  Ask a PharmD to calculate the maximum safe dosage for your weight, and RCA7591 obviously doesn't understand that dosages are directly proportional to weight.  If you ever take that much, call 911 and/or a friend to drive you to the ER and have your stomach pumped and/or ingest large amounts of activated charcoal.  He must have gotten all of his information from wikipedia or the like, or really mixed up his research.
YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
A quick FYI to you re: Ryan....he is probably our most knowledgeable of posters here in this forum. As you are a newer member here, you've missed out on a wealth of information that he's provided to many people in need and desperate for help and assistance. When he posts, you can be quite confident that you'll definitely learn something. So, be sure to really take the time to read carefully before attempting to discredit him.

I couldn't have said it better myself!  You showed great control.
Thanks...there's no reason to "shoot the messenger" especially when our messenger has the expertise and knowledge that Ryan has....
You misunderstood Ryan's post.  He said for people who have never taken valium a starting dose may be 5-10 mgs three times a day.  If you had previously taken ultra potent drugs like Xanax or Klonopin you may need 10 to 20 mgs of valium t.i.d.  He did NOT tell anyone that 10-20mgs of Klonopin or Xanax t.i.d. would be a proper dose.  Please read his post carefully.  Obviously if 25 mgs of librium is equal to 1/2 mg of Klonopin this would not make sense.   Ryan's stats are amazing and I always look forward to his advice. I have been on Klonopin.  It is very potent.  After 5 years I was still on 1 1/2 mgs a day. It's not the fastest acting but keeps you steady.  Since it is such a "steady state" drug it doesn't cause a quick change in emotions leaving it harder to abuse.  Drug seeking behavior usually leans more towards the fast acting benzos.
Many people need a faster-acting benzo for particular situations in their medical conditions. Xanax does have its place, as does Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, etc.

The problem that comes into play is when the short-acting benzos are used over a long period of time, and also, when it's time to get off of them. But, that can also be said about many psychiatric meds. I don't think that people who are suffering and turn to a benzo to "quiet the beast" are drug seeking...they are just trying to get a sense of calm to hopefully get their lives back on track.

I
I did not mean to discredit faster acting benzos. Everyone that uses them is certainly not drug seeking. I personally took Ativan for a short time and it helped tremendously.  When you need that quick response during a panic attack they are wonderful.  I was merely saying that does not make them stronger.  Klonopin may not act as quickly, but if you need something a little longer to get to a steady state, it's great. And it definitely is stronger. Also I was a bit upset that Ryan's post was misunderstood. When uniqueflower thought he said to take 10 to 20 mg's of Klonopin or Xanax T.i.d., that was scary.  Everyone has to slow down and really read his stats.  They make sense.
I am a chronic patient of panic attacks, palpitation and anxiety and tried each of the above-mentioned medications, such as Librium, Valium, Ativan and Xanax. I found Ativan and Xanax more effetive and suitable.
My physician has advised to add up Buspar, 5 MG combined with Xanax 0.5 MG
Does somone at the Forum has some experioence and information about Buspar?
Jikram
Ryan has posted some great info. about Buspar - you might try doing a search on it here in the forum, and when you see posts by his name - pay particular attention to those. He's provided some great info. on Buspar.

I would caution about relying upon Xanax as your long-term management of your panic attacks. It's best to be used for only short-term periods, or taking it as an "as needed basis".

It would be interesting to know more about how your Dr. prescribed the different drugs - what dosages, how many times/day, etc. Perhaps they weren't dosed properly for you to receive the full therapeutic benefit. As I'm learning here, that's the key component for success in using the longer-acting benzos, like Librium, Valium, and Klonopin.

Good luck....and I hope you receive the info. that you're looking for.
Thank you for such a useful information. Your analysis is very logical and helped me psychologically to gain confidence.
Right now I am sticking to Buspar 0.5 mg and xanax 0.5 mg, when needed.
I will talk to my physician about Klonospin at the next visit.
Jikram
Hi Ryan,

thank you for all of the great info:) I just spoke with my psych today and he said he was switching me to klonopin (I have been on xanax for
a very long time). My diagnosis started as anxiety with depression and then became "mildly" bi-polar, but I keep trying to tell the docs anxiety is my BIG problem--I've lived with being moody my whole like, but panic attacks out of the blue leave me weak and very upset.

When I have a panic episode my heart pounds like a drum, my breathing is all off and I shake alot. The episodes can leave me tired for days. Anyhoo I just tried lithium and just felt flat and even more depressed.

Thanks for reading this--does klonopin sound like it will do the trick?
(oh I also take ambien for sleep problems--I wake up all the time).

thanks again!
illogirl
Very informative post.  Question: Is Klonopin just for people with panic attacks?  I have what I would describe as generalized anxiety.  Just feel stressed a lot of the time with muscle tension and a lot of anticipatory anxiety.  Never had a panic attack in my life.  My doctor put me on xanax for a while but now he's moved me to Klonopin.  I just saw him and asked him to increase the dosage, so now I'm on .5 mg twice a day (had been on .25 mg twice a day).  My concern is that a lot of people mention panic attacks when they discuss Klonopin and since I've never had those I'm wondering if this is the correct medication for me.  Also, I asked my doctor if I would be on this for the rest of my life and he said that I could take it as needed.  I asked him if he meant I could not take it if I was feeling well and then start taking it when a stressful time came up and he said yes.  Does that sound right?  I'd appreciate any advice people have for me.  
YAY - you're baaaaaaaack...........
We've missed you............

♫xan
Last night I picked up my script for Klonopin I took half a pill (of a .05 dose)
and suddenly started to feel super sleepy. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I thought the stuff took 2 weeks to build up in your bloodstream. About 2 hours earlier
I took a Xanax (.25 dose) since I am supposed to overlap the 2 meds. Xanax never left me sleepy and out of it---I liked the med cos it just reduced my anxiety levels, but the feeling from Klonopin was weird and tired, Will this pass?

thanks for any input--I'm getting anxious just thinking about taking Klonopin:)
illogirl
My doctor just prescribed me Xanax for anxiety. She believes my anxiety is due to my Grave's Disease which makes affects your heart rate. I don't think this is so. I feel nervous and anxious most of the time. Especially in social situations. I've never had a panic attack in my life, but get VERY nervous when put in situations where I have to speak to a large group of people or again in social settings. I don't know if Xanax is good for this or not. I just want to feel normal in these situations, not nervous. I was on Klonopin for a while and I think it was helping. I am just wondering if this will as well. She told me to take one before going to bed. Since it has such a short life, how would this help me the next day? I'm confused. Plus I took one today and couldn't stay awake!
I have been taking Xanax XR for many years, and will be starting Klonipin (klonopin) shortly for my generalized anxiety disorder.  In all of your posts, you've talked about Xanax, but not Xanax XR.  Xanax XR is the slow release form of the drug, and differs for regular Xanax.  The reason I'm switching to Klonipin (klonopin) is that I feel that Xanax XR is not working well anymore for me.  I take Effexor XR for depression and anxiety, and I also take Lyrica for headaches and anxiety as well.  So, you can see, I'm a mess as far as anxiety issues go!  Can you shed some light on Xanax XR vs plain old Xanax?  Thanks so much!

Ellen
Hi Ryan,

Why did you write to Ellen that Klonopin could worsen her depression?
I have been on Klonopin for about a month and a half and I have noticed an increase in depression (I am NOT on any anti depressants).
Overall I just roll with it and try and stay positive and I started to get acupuncture along with talk therapy. This week I will see my p-doc and I'm sure all of this will come up in my visit.
Do you think Klonopin causes weight gain as well?

thanks,
illogirl
Hi Ryan,
            I have a degenerating spinal injury, I have many disc prolapses and I also have grandmal epilepsy.  I was bruitally attacked and my spine was damaged in the 3 different sections of the spine.  I got grave's disease when I gave birth to my son and live on a concoction of meds.

I am wondering, eventhough I have studied most of my injuries and know heaps about my medication, I was wondering if there was anything stronger than xanax that you know of as I'm going to see my pain management specialist and my psychiatrist, yes I have depression, mainly because of the attack and what I live with every day.

I am on 150mg's of Kapanol twice a day,  Oxy Contin 80mg twice a day, Oxy Norm 20mg every 4 hours and Pan Forte, Paxam, Xanax 2mg 3 a day, Baclofen, Oxazapam 30mg and Valium.

I am starting to have pain before I'm ready for my next dose and am about to be put up to the next level which they tell me may be ampules, I have no idea, I'm thinking of the Facet Joint Denervation, but they tell me that each time you have it, your body gets used to it and works less and less each time and I'm paying a fortune in private health care for this op and there are 3 procedures every time and I've no idea if I can have them all at once or if I have to travel to Melbourne each time I have to have it, which is over  a 3 hour drive.  I know that by upping my meds it lessens my life, i know that.  But I have permanent sciatica and chronic pain 24 hours a day and depression and wow, anxiety is a bad word, I have nightmares about the attack.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can ask about when I already have valium, oxazepam and xanax and I do take more than I am meant to, but my doctors know that because of the amount of other meds I have and they also said if anyone else tried to take the amount of meds I have to take it could kill them, but I live like this every day.

Some days I feel like giving up, but that's only letting my attackers win and I will not let that happen. I have lost 85% feeling in my left leg and 25% in my right and use a walker to get around and have a full time carer too.  It's not a great life, but it's my life and I do the best I can, and I fight like hell. I just want some time with no pain and something to stop the panic attacks without being a zombie and am afraid that just won't happen.

No pressure Ryan, it just seems you know a lot and I was just hoping you might be able to help me, but if you can't I honestly understand, it's a lot to ask someone and I have studied a lot of this already, but I don't know that much about benzodiazapines, and was hoping you could help.

Cappo
Hi Ryan, I will like to have your advice. I had been using Xanax 2mg 4 or 5 times daily for more than a year almost two if I'm correct. I also take Wellbutrin for my depression, Vicodin 5/500 twice a day for about a year and Tramadol 50mg for about two years. I want to get rid of the Xanax, the Vicodin and the Tramadol, so far I managed to take 3 Xanax daily( at night before going to bed and when I wake up in the middle of the night, two times almost always, no taking none during the day but I'm experiencing anxiety, shaking in my hands, sweating hands and feet, pain in my shoulders and upper back and fast heartbeat. It's very hard for me to fight it. I should mention too that I have not taken Vicodin in two days, and the Tramadol has been moved from two pills a day to one a day. Am I going too fast or should I do something different?
Sorry Ryan, I forgot to mention that I suffer from bad migraines and I take Imitrex 100mg, is good but my insurance only cover 9 pills a month. I'm also diabetic type II, I take Fortamet 500mg for that and is under control and also suffer from cardiac arritmia (did I spelled right?)
Your advice will be greatly appreciated .
Thanks, Bob
Hi Ryan,

Wondered if you could help, my wife is currently taking 1Mg of Xanax 4 times daily.  How would you recomend that she makes the switch to Klonopin, so that it does not produce the Xanax withdrawal.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Martin.
I have the same question as Tinks343747.  I go to the Dr. next week and am considering the switch.  I have been on1 mg. 4x daily of xanax and am thinking it is not working anymore.  My attacks have been getting more and more frequent even with it. Sometimes I have to take 5 - never more because it scares me.  I have been doing this for five years now.  I have full blown "I am having a heart attack" panic.  Sweating, chest pain, shaking, thinking for sure this is my last day on earth.  It's horrible.  I should also mention though that I have an out of whack thyroid so I know this contributes to my condition.  But, I would still like to try the klono but I can't handle xanax withdrawal effects if that is what is going to happen.  Can you take klonopin and take xanax "as  needed" for quick relief?  Meds scare me and I wish I could be off all of them and have tried so many times but I always end up right back where I started.
Thanks for any answers you can give me.
I have been on 6 mg. of Alprazolam (Xanax) Then went straight to 3 mg. of Klonopin and I didn't have no severe withdrawl (withdrawal) at all, The Klonopin helps that out alot! I've taken Valium, Klonopin, Xanax, Buspar, and Ativan I like Klonopin the best Like Ryan said longe lasting less addicting, Buspar don't really help if you have severe anxiety!!
Ive been on xanax 1mg for over 20 years since I was 27.  Even when I was young I knew something was wrong with me, Id hyperventilate until my hands and feet were crooked.  I threw up at stress and anxiety.  I could not be still, I  threw up and couldnt stop thought Id rather die. One day while at work I had an anxiety attack where I thought I was loosing my mind and I got to the dr and THat is where it started I got xanax.
  I take as needed usually a half of a tablet if that dose not work a whole tablet as needed.  Latley Ive taken it about three to four times a week 1/2 tablet.  I had my new doctor, I recently moved say she wanted to take me off of xanax it was not her drug of choice I freaked out.  Ive been on it so long and it has worked for me so well I cant see having a normal life without it.  I have been on paxil for 8 years also 20 mg daily sometimes it was 30mg.  I have anxiety and depression and post tramatic stress.  Do you think that it is wrong to want to be able to live and work and need the xanax to feel kind of normal. I dont feel as though Im addicted I just need it to live a normal life.  Ive accepted the fact im anxiety ridden and both meds work for me.  do you think something else would work. I told my doctor I didnt want to switch. I usually get a perscreption for xanax two times a year 1mg pill and 60 pills each perscription so I feel as though Im not trying to abuse it I need it.  please help me.  Im scared to not be able to get it any more from my new doctor? JO
See site benzo.org.uk
abby
Hey

First of all, I haven't been on here for awhile.  I've been trying to figure out what's going on with me.  In my previous post above I was freaking out because my panic attacks were increasing and everything seemed to be going haywire.  Well I recently found out that although I have Hashimotos disease - the endo said my GP should not have put me on the meds I was on because I kept getting worse and worse.  My TSH was 0.01 and instead of feeling better like I should've been - it was getting worse.  So NOW I am completely off thyroid medicines.  Someday I may need them -may not. I do have thyroid damage but not bad enough yet for the meds they had given me.

So, about the Xanax -I have been on xanax for over five years now - I was thinking of switching because of my increased panic attacks which were not even due to the inefficiency of the medicine but because my thyroid was going bonkers.  I talked to my doctor about the X and asked questions about dependency, side effects, blah, blah.....This is what she told me:  Who cares if you are addicted if it helps you?  People with high blood pressure are 'addicted' to their meds too but are we going to take their meds away - NO!  There is no shame in responsibly taking a medicine that helps you and from the sounds of it - the quantity you are taking is minimal in comparison with what a lot of people take.  I hardly call what you are taking unreasonable.  If it makes you feel better and your doctor is going to take it away and not replace it with something that makes you feel just as good - GET ANOTHER DOCTOR.  I will probably never be off Xanax - I, like you, have had these attacks since I was a child and even with the meds still get them occasionally - out of the blue for no particular earth shattering reason.  But, when they come on, I will take my X and sit quietly until it passes and the world will continue to turn and I will have not hurt myself or anyone else.  You should never ever let anyone make you feel bad about taking a medication that makes you feel better.  My dad is 'addicted' to painkillers too because he has cancer - should we take them away?  I think not.  Sorry if others don't like this post but it's my opinion and, as the saying goes............well you know it.
I am a 42 year old man, I have had anxiety for years but to be honest I never really understood what it was or what it was doing to me. I had gastric bypass surgery and since then I have been having what I thought were heart attacks but after going to the emergency room my heart was fine and we kinda of fiqured out that they were panick attacks.  I have never taken any type of drugs at all I do not even drink but I was seen by a psychiatrist and was given a script for 1mg xanax, I started off with half and then went to one whole pill like the bottle said but to be honest I barely felt anything, it helped with my hand tremors and may have helped with the severity of the panic attacks I have two or three big ones (panick attacks) and a few little ones weekly but what is the best approach to asking for a stronger dose without appearing to be a drug person obtaining narcotics. It is honestly becoming difficult for me to function with these attacks, I am getting to the point that I do not want to leave my house. Any help would be great thanks, Michael
Klonopin is the devils poison.  Once you get on it, you'll never get off of it without a horrible withdrawal that will send you straight to hell screaming to get out.  It will ruin your life and your family's life.  You may think that it is good the first couple of years, but then you will reach a tolerance and you will be forced into withdrawal.  It will happen to anyone taking it, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!  
Watch what you say about klonopin...you'll start being called a "benzo basher"!!! You see a drug that eventually makes your original symptoms WORSE is a relly great drug, according to some people.

abby
I've been on klonopin for 5 years, found it easy to lower the dose.  I'm taking more now because I'm withdrawing from oxycontin but know that I will manage to lower the dose again.  I used to take 2 ..5mg a day now take 4.  I think it's the best for anxiety, it does lower your mood but sometimes you have to make some hard choices.  Good luck!
Serax is stronger and faster-acting then Librium..When Serax hits you,it calm you down much fiercer then Librium does..It doesn't last as long as Librium, which I prefer...Librium has a very long half-life, like Valium and Klonopin and Doral and Tranxene..that is why alot of patients and Dr.'s prefer Serax.It has less potential for interactions with other type drugs -because it leaves your system faster, but the intitial calming effect is very pleasing  and you feel much less anxious then on Librium..I take Serax 30 mg and have compared it to Libriums 25 mg capsules.In the long run, Serax is the best anxiolytic on the market-since 1965-by Wyeth..It was the next one after Valium..And it is less harsh on the liver then most other benzo's..It is similar in many ways to Restoril..They are the most popular benzo's in Australia..the highest in sales per year.
I will ay the same thing about Serax 30 mg. for GAD...The most similar benzo anxiolytic to Serax ,for me is Xanax...I one time, ran out a couple days early before I could refill my Serax..So my Mother has been taking Xanxax for GAD,also a recent divorce and diagnosis of CLL-a form of Leukemia..She had the o.5 mg Xanax..Now I took 2 of thos to match the Serax 30 mg, adn that was lie taking the same drug..I really couldn't feel anything different especially  in terms of any more or less anxiousness..The only difference I felt is that i honestly think the Serax's half-life is shorter then Xanax, so therefore I didn't need to take another Xanax for little longer.But I also felt less drowsy on teh Serax.That's one of the big plus' for me..I think it's the perfect benzo for GAD..That's why I was prescribed it many yrs ago. And only really tried Librium and Xanax and Ativan for it...Ativan, being my least favorite.I always went back to the Serax 30 mg.Now I am a muscular 5'11 205 lb man.Ativan gave me a weird taste in my mouth-also made me feel much woozier then all teh others..Couldn't wait to call my Dr. and ask for my Serax back..The reason why I was trying others,was the price of generic Serax.It's fairly expensive if you don't have coverage..I now do and #90 Serax 30 mg.capsules are on;y $15/mnth..
Dear Ryan, please forgive this intrusion into your conversation. I was reading Elaine's remarks when I saw your post knowledgable post My therapist (a psychiatrist) has kept me on xanax for many years and I believe the med is no longer effective. I have asked to be passed over to Klonopin in the hope that this benzo might help me prevent palpitations that occur during sleep but have been refused. Most admit the xanax was very effective at first but since last November I have been experiencing palpitations after the first hour or two of sleep and that's only hours after I've taken one mg of xanax. At present I'm using 3mgs a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon and the last one to sleep. But I'm going through very difficult period. Palpitations only occur during sleep and the xanax simply doesn't work.  I do not require the other two mgs, during the day, but I use them to keep and even amount of the med in my blood. My cardiologist has indicated that I can switch to Klonopin and use very low dose (my heart rate is very low--48-52) of beta blocker Metoprolol and this might work. He has added that it would not hurt me to use sleeping pill along with this if necessary. He is willing to experiment in trying to help me. My therapist is not. I would greatly appreciate any info you can supply that you feel might help me. Often I go for days on end without any good sleep and it's beginning to seriously depress me. R.  
I like ur posts, very informative. But I don't agree with your theory that you cannot switch from xanax right to kolonopin without risking withdrawal. I understand the science and it makes sense, the problem is that I have done the exact thing you described and had absolutely no withdrawal. I actually feel so much better then on the xanax. I have realized my doc is a bit crazy; he had me on 2mgs of xanax 4X a day for a long time. And I took it 4X or more, towards the end, every day. Truthfully, I was addicted and need to stop so I went to a new doc and was switched to kolonopin 2mgs 3X a day which is still a lot but the transition was smooth. Next month he is going to drop me to 1mg and then maybe .5 depending on my panic symptoms and my depression. I also take zoloft. Can anyone recommend another anti-depressant; the zoloft keeps me awake I think. Anyway everyone here is right when they say xanax is not for long term use. I got to the point of taking 8-12mgs a day with little to no effect. I have a terrible tolerance and people need to not just trust their docs blindly. I have learned that lesson; you are responsible for your own well being. The kolonopin is a god send. I used to wake up with an ache in my belly until I took a xanax but with the kolonopin I wake up fine. It’s been a week now and all is good. Maybe I am an unusual case but considering the amount of xanax I was taking if your theory was correct the switch to kolonopin should have caused withdrawal? Any explanation?
I really think tolerance to xanax can happen much faster. I have found lessening effects in as little as a week. Again kolonopin seems the drug of choice for long term treatment.
Hi Ryan, I have read with interest your posts, re: Xanax/Klonopin.  After developing numbness in my face, I was tested for just about everything (Lyme's, brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, etc.).  Ultimately, it was determined to be a viral infection in the 5th cranial nerve.   As I'm a professional orchestral musician and was unable to play my instrument for many months, this led directly to the anxiety, as I did not know if I would ever play again.   I am happy to say I have been playing again, with no adverse effects.  But the anxiety has stayed.   I have recently changed from Xanax to Klonopin, however the doctor did recommend that I only take it on an as-needed basis after the inital 2 week regimen.  But after reading your well-researched posts, I am going to ask her if this is the appropriate prescription.  Thanks so much for taking the time to write, you've helped me prepare for my doctor check-up next week.  :)
Hi Ryan - thanks again for the info.  Just for the record, I was taking Xanax on an as-needed basis, only a few times a month for over a year, until a stressful situation occurred and I began taking it daily for nearly a month.  It was due to this, the Doctor said I may be developing an immunity to it and it was not meant to be taken daily.  So, I was prescribed the Klonopin.  I will ask my Neurologist about the efficacy next week and our options.  She had also wanted to put me on Lexapro, but after reading about it, I decided I'd try good old-fashioned exercise and doing what I could to limit stress, which has helped far more than any medication.  Lexapro just looked a tad scary to one who has rarely taken medication before.   BTW:  I read that you were an engineer, but your medical knowledge is extremely impressive!  Thank you again.
I was on an aplrazolam, diazepam, and clonazepam. The only one I found effective was clonazepam.  It helped for the longest period of time, with out even really knowing it was working, (as far as getting high).  It also worked the most effectively for the longest period of time, ulike alprazolam, which it seemed like I was always wating to take the next dose.  There was a feeling that would come over me as though I have to have another dose.  The clonazepam kept me in control for a good five four hours without having any problems, and I was at the lowest dosage (.5mg). I would highly recommend trying that before any other benzo.  Good luck.
Im currently on Klonopin (.5mg 3x for 8 years) and flexeril (10mg 3x for 2 months) to treat my anxiety and muscle spams. The last month my anxiety has been at an alerting new level of bad, and my back spams havent gotten much better. My pcp told me to speak to my psychiatrist about switching to Valium 10 mg 3x to help with both instead ok taking the other two. Is this a good idea?
Hi Ryan and everyone. I was on xanax for 1.5 years and it became more of a drug than a medicine for me. Not on purpose, but it drops of so quick it leaves you wanting the next. I have just been put on klonopin but am a smoker. I am told this makes it less effective. So, once I quit smoking, will I feel the full effect of this medication? Or am I screwed because I started taking it as a smoker. Also am on wellbutrin but can't seem to take advantage of the "quitting smoking" side effect. Oh, and my klonopin dose is .5mg x2

Thanks!

Fly bye Nite
I have been using Xanax for almost 20 years to manage my panic attacks. I am one of the lucky ones that responds well to only 0.5mg on an as needed basis. I can tell you from LONG experience with the drug that after making my way out of the initial onslaught of attacks the first year or so (taking up to 3 x 0.5mg /day for a week or two at a time), the drug still is quite effective for me now on a as needed basis (taken individually maybe 2-3 times a month).

I really have found all the posts here quite informative and my heart goes out to all of you who are struggling to gain some balance in your lives. I know the pathology of my panic attacks were likely more psychological than physiological, so in that respect I've learned to manage them over time.  
Hi Ryan,

I suffer from extreme anxiety, which stops me from sleeping/living normally, and extreme
PTSD. My mind does not stop racing, my muscles and jaw are always tight, I worry and think
of the most extreme negative things that can happen in any situation. I am hypervigalant also, and
I'll explain why.

In 2001, I lost my firstborn son and I was in the delivery room the entire time. The nurses made me hold
him after he passed. I went to state run mental health clinic and got the typical cattle call of SSRI's.
Wellbutrin, Paxil, Lexapro, Trazadone Seroquil (not all at same time) and none of them worked. I rather live like
i am now, than live with more rage/ anger than I have now, nausea, restless legs and diahrrea. In 2007
I went to the Dr. that lost my firstborn son, and she prescribed 0.25 Xanax, once a day. It worked wonders
for a few hours a day. On my 2nd visit, I told her it was only working a few hours a day and she told me
I was abusing it and 'seeking'. Needless to say, she didn't remember losing my son, because she loses
many patients and has lost her license a few times due to that and giving meds too easy
at patients request.

Last year, an hour after midnight on Halloween (true story) I was driving home on a 70mph interstate. A
guy and girl (boyfriend and were arguing on the side of the interstate,  with no hazard lights,
dark car. I saw nothing til the impact, the guy pushed the girl and I hit her. Then he shot at me 3 times
after. Of course my anxiety and ptsd got extremely worse, even thought I was not charged and he is
being charged with murder. I can't sleep, can't stop my mind from racing/ worrying, I have nightmares
when I do sleep and during the day it's constantly replaying in my mind. Both events.

Getting to my point and question - I went to a dr. today but only a nurse saw me, and she prescribed
Lexapro and Trazadone. I told her that does not help, so she referred me to their in house psych. because
only he can prescribe benzo's. Recently while researching online, I have learned that Xanax is short term,
short acting and addictive. I don't want to get addicted of course. I also learned of Klonopin for the first time.
The psych. wants to see me again this coming week (i'm bringing my firstborn son's pray card from funeral
and newspaper with police write up of my accident as proof, so he does not think i'm a 'seeker') The psych.
told me today he will fight the biggest fire first, whatever that means.

Anyway, based on what I said, what would you prescribe?  I'm just wanting other professional opinions.
Sorry I'm scatter brained with this post, but it is my first and I have not slept in about 32 hours now.

Thanks in advance
Sorry my post was so scattered. I had to write it in Word notepad and copy and paste it because my laptop has viruses and pages backspace by themselves.
Hi I have had anxiety and panic attacks since my mid twenties....they almost went away during my mid thirties...and last year they came back with a "vengeance" as the psychologist at the hospital put it. Im 47 now. I had always been treated with everything from ativan to xanax to antidepressants you name it.
This last Doc which was the hospitals on staff psychologist put me on Clonazepam (Klonipin (klonopin)) twice a day. To put it in a nut shell I have my life back. I had to stay with someone constantly before and now I dont need a babysitter...yea!
I hope this helps you.

Janet
Thanks for writing. I hate when people say 'it's gods will'. Also, a psych I saw a few years ago told me to 'be a man and get over it'!  Can you believe a professional would say that? Needless to say, the cops were called because I went ballistic! I'm 36 years old and I know what works and what does not work on me. Clonazepam works in a multi purpose way, I can sleep, my mind stops racing, I'm not on edge and
snapping at people I love, I just feel normal. What pisses me off, is that I know people personally and have read people's posts on here that have GAD, with NO traumatic experiences and THEY live on anxiety meds. But since 2001, I can't get a dr. or psych to give me anything expect SSRI's.

Also, I'm very hypervigilant, because even thought everyone in this town knew that girls boyfriend pushed her, i still had threats on my life. I am ready at all times to defend myself to the death. If someone I don't know gets too close to me physically, I am READY to kill with my barehands in a second. I'll stare them down, eye to
eye after and let them know I'm not to be played with. Anyway, I have a good feeling about this new psych.

From what he said, he knows my problems are real and INTENSE. He said he will fight the biggest fire first. Whatever that means. I hate the people that lie to get benzos for their addiction  or to sell on the streets, it only makes it harder for people who really need them to get them. You have to wait while your
psych. screens you on a couple of visits til he realizes you are real.
Is it safe to switch form Librium75 mgs to ativan 3 mgs? I had taken 3 mgs daily for years and also Dr switched me to Ativan once and it took a while to get through the switch. This was a couple years ago. Moved to a new city where my new doctor put me on Librium 75 mg and it's horrible. Of all Med's I've taken for anxiety, Ativan seem to have the least side effects. My new doctor siad that Librium would be more steady and I find that it's side effect profile for me, sedation, amnesia, sleep disturbances are horrible. I've been on it almost 3 months now. He says the side effects will go away, but it's been long enough for me to know they are not. All answers appreciated.
I meant to say 3 mgs xanax for years, then switched to ativan once a couple years ago.
To Ryan

I tried switching from Xanax to Klonopin and i was weaning while starting the klonopin. But I did not have a good reaction to the Klonopin it made me feel more anxious, nausciious, zombie like & had a constant faint headache. My Dr told me to just go back to my .5mg of xanax and BID. She also stated that since its such a low dose that she isnt concerned with addiction at this point especially if it is making me comfortable. Accordign to her both drugs are benzo's and equally addictive. Now since everyone claims you to be the benzo addict is what she saying correct in your opinion?  I need that added benzo right now my paxil alone isnt cutting it.

Chrissy
Dear Ryan,

Thank you for your reply on the Librium. My origainally diagnosis was GAD with occasional high-anxiety panic. I have replaced the night-time dose of 25 mg with ativan, split into .05 evening and .05 at bed. Sleeping better and already feel like I'm more alive. I have a new doctor and she said it was perfectly fine to switch, but recommended I do it in parts and wait to see how I feel. Over the years, my old doctor had me on many combos with AD's to help combat the anxiety, and to make short, the side effects were always not worth it for me and seemed to suck the life out of me. For some, they may be very effective, so I'm not knocking them. I am going to do this in 1 weeks periods, keeping my last 25 librium for the morning. Any suggestions if you care to add would be apreciated. So far, I feel a little rough in the AM and the PM, with 10-5 being the best with the least anxiety. The sedation has already lifted to a degree. So the librium will actually take a while to clear from what I've read hear; it may take a full month to feel fairly normal again. I don't know how common this is, but I never had headaches until taking Librium. Thanks for all you do here-wish you a happy Thanksgiving.
HELLO I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND SORRY IF I DO NOT MAKE THAT MUCH SINCE. I HAD A VERY TRAMATIC HEAD INJURY SO THINGS DONT GET SAID OR WROTE PROPER. I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO SAY IT JUST DOES NOT COME OUT WRITE EVEN ON PAPER.
ANY WAYS.
I WAS FIRST PUT ON WELLBUTRIN...IT DID NOT HELP ME AT ALL 150MG 2 X'S A DAY. IT JUST MDE MATTERS WORSE AND MORE EXTREME PANIC ATTACKS. I WAS LITTERLY CUTTING MYSELF DUE TO THINKING I HAD A BAD DISEASE SO I WAS CUTTING THE WARTS OFF....THEY WERE MY SCARS FROM MY ACCIDENT...BUT MY PANIC ATTACKS TOLD ME DIFFERENT.
I COMPLETELY JUST STOP TAKING THE WELLBUTRIN AND JUST SEEN MY DOC. YESTERDAY. HE PERSCRIBED ME KLONOPIN .5 MG TABLETS TWICE DAILY AND CELEXA 20 MG TABLETS IN MORNING FOR DEEP DEPRESSION. I TOLD HIM...PLEASE MAKE ME SMILE, ENJOY LIFE, AND LAUGH AGAIN...MAYBE EVEN NOT CARE SO MUCH...I AM VERY SENSITIVE PERSON AND CRY BECAUSE IM HURTING OR OTHERS ARE. I HAVE PANIC ATTACKS, ANXIETY MOOD SWINGS ...I CAN BE QUIET THEN WATCH OUT I AM ON A WAR PATH...I LIKE MY DISHES CLEAN OUT OF MY SINK FOR EXAMPLE AND WHEN SOMEONE LIKE MY 21 YEAR OLD SON DONT CLEAN THEM IAM SO PISSED OF I CANT CONTROL MY ANGER....AND JUST TALK OUT LOUD AND PRETTY MUCH YELL AT THIM UNDER MY BREATH OUTLOUD TO WHERE HE AND OTHERS CAN HEAR ME...I JUST STARTED TAKING THESE TWO MEDS...WILL THIS HELP...OR IS THERE BETTER THINGS I NEED TO ASK MY DOCTOR ABOUT
HOW LONG DOES THE LONG TERM AFFECT TAKE TO START WORKING TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER?
I ALSO HAVE XANAX FOR AS NEEDED BASIS FROM ANOTHER DOCTOR.
PLEASE HELP ME BE HAPPY AND HELP ME KNOW WHAT MEDICINES WOULD BE THE BEST FOR ME AND HOW TO ASK DOCTOR AND TELL HIM MY CONCERNS. I SO LONG TO BE HAPPY AGAIN IN LIFE AND BE "NORMAL" IF THAT EVEN EXISTS ANYMORE.
SINCERELY,
MARY BETH
aka: angelwings1971
Hi i have been reading these posts and am coming to you as you seem to be the most informed. I was on Xanax 1/2 tab of 0.25mg  3x day for over 20 years....also on lopressor 50mg 2 x daily for beta blocking effects. I have generalized anxiety and panic attacks and at one time agorophobic....this year many stressors ( my 21 yr old son OD twice he lives with his druggie dad who enables him with the drugs....the dad takes 400 oxycontins a month!) sibling rivalry  and our mom with end stage Alzheimers who died Nov 30  and her husband (stepdad) died 28 hours later....all of this stress caused me to go into super panic  and i made 3 trips to ER in 2 weeks one my heart rate was 180 when the paramedics got to me.....finally my doc hospitalized me to rule out cardiac so that was 5 days  and immediately from there I was voluntarily transferred to a mental health unit for 4 days.....psychiatrist saw me......took me off Xanax cold turkey and put me on Klonopin 0.25mg in morning and 0.5mg in eve x 3 days  then upped it to 0.5mg rwice daily. In addition I was started on Lexapro 5mg daily. As of today this is my 9th day on Klonopin and day 7 of Lexapro.......I am in bed 95% of the day too weak to do anything and too scared that I am going to have withdrawal symptoms from going off the Xanax....the psychiatrist told me it was safe to just change them as they are both benzos only one is long acting.....I don't know who to believe and I am very scared.......I am 56 years old weigh only 116 as i lost 11 pounds in last 2 months. I live alone and am frightened and don't know if I should call my doc (right on a sunday no less) go to the hospital or just wait this out.  Can you give me some insight as to whether I am safe from withdrawal at this time?
I developed panic attacks after a drowning accident when I was 8 yrs old.  I had frequent, random attacks until around the age of 12.  The attacks suddenly stopped, and I was panic free until 18 yrs old.  I joined the military at 23, and at that time only rarely experienced a panic attack.  
One day on a flight from California to Boston, I experienced a panic attack during take off.  I was terrified and almost went to the cockpit to tell the pilot to turn the plane around.  Instead, I headed to the restroom until the terror subsided.  Prior to this panic attack on the airplane, I had flown frequently and was even in the process of obtaining my private pilots license.  I began to self medicate with alcohol prior to each deployment overseas.  I would stay up all night drinking myself in to oblivion.  This method worked fine until one morning as I walked to the plane I went from staggering drunk to stone cold sober.  I was screwed.  I could not make myself get on the airplane.  
As a result of a missed deployment, the Navy required me to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. He listened to my story, and afterwards told me he could "cure" my problem.  He prescribed my 10mg Paxil once a day.  I was so excited to hear there was a "magic pill" that could cure my problem.  I even started working on my private pilot's license again. When I went for my class III physical prior to my solo flight, I found that Paxil automatically disqualified me for me class III physical.  
I was still able to deploy while on Paxil, but the side effects were becoming intolerable.  I had gained 30lbs, and my sex drive was pretty much gone.  I decided to stop the paxil and beat the panic attacks on my own.  One day, while experiencing another panic attack I got this bright idea.  My heart was racing somewhere around 160 bpm.  I decided that if my heart was going to beat that fast that I'd give it a reason.  I went outside and started to jog down the road.  This became my cure.  From that point forward, everytime I would feel those familliar signs of an impending attack, I'd just throw on my shoes and go for a run.  Eventually, I stopped having to actually run because just the thought of going jogging was enough to calm me down.  At this point I am completely panic free with one VERY important exception.  In an airplane.  Its a little difficult to go for a jog when you're trapped in a tube at 30K ft 3hr out over the Atlantic.  
I am back in the military, and will probably be deploying to Afganistan in March.  I went to a doctor I work closely with (I'm also a medical professional), and he prescribed me 0.25mg tabs of Xanax to be taken 1hr before flying.  My family was supposed to fly to Puerto Rico on 12/29.  I took 1 tab of 0.25mg Xanax with no results, then another, then another.  I had finally taken a total of 1mg xanax, and I may have well taken an aspirin.  There was no way I was getting on that airplane.  I drove back home while my family went to PR for 10 days without me.  
My Naval career is on the line here.  I am at a loss.  I have been experimenting with Xanax and Valium for the last few days.  An hour prior to writing this post I took 2mg Xanax and 30mg Valium.  I feel a very slight "buzz" but there is no way I could get on an airplane to fly anywhere, much less Afganistan.  A couple of days ago, I took 3mg Xanax with pretty much the same results.  I have an appt with my psychiatrist friend on the 21st, and after talking to him yesterday, he placed a consult for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.  
I am under a lot of pressure right now, as my career is hanging in the balance, which further fuels my anxiety.  I need help before my military career is over.
I know this was a long post, but please someone help me.  The only problem I have is beating this fear of having a panic attack on an airplane.

Craig
I was told that Klonopin is a mix of the two(valium,xanax)
i was told that klonopin is a mixture of xanax & valium
Hi Ryan,

This here is a great forum for discussion, advice etc. I have been taking alprazolam for almost 5 years for panic disorder. My episodes of panic were devastating and would occasionally create a pass out effect. I would take xanax as needed but of course now it's dependent.. I had my share of withdraw effects as well bc some/most doctors wouldn't refill my script and pharmacists as well. Obviously they were concerned with the addiction vs. the problem. At any rate, under the current extreme stressful life today, I have very few pills to take until my next refill... Would taking Diazapam hold me over for a month until I can get my rx filled? And would mixing the 2 at low levels of 2mg of xanax & 5 or 10mgs of diazapam daily be okay?

Your input is most appreciated

- Rudy
Physicians that "yank" people off benzodiazepines should get hit by a BUS!!!

abby
I have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since 1999.  The panic attacks have mostly stopped after therapy.  About once every 3 months something happens and one starts to come on.  But they are never as strong as before.  They do not consume me and I am not as worn out after like I was before.

I think CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) helped.  I would like to continue with it again.  Immediately, though, the breathing techniques and the alternating muscle tightening and relaxing exercises have helped the most.  You should learn these in CBT and/or other therapy.  As for drugs, I try to avoid them.  I do not like the "buzz" and highs.  I just lost my sister who died before her time, due to opiate addiction.

Hopefully you get this since your post was Jan. 9, and no one responded to you.  Maybe you can repost and address to "Ryan" since he seems to be the expert here.  I felt bad that you had no response.

Good Luck and know in your heart that these will pass.  Do not beat yourself up either.  Chemical reactions deep inside of us are nothing that we can control.  The Military has dealt with this before.  You are not their first.

Blaze
I too sufer with Panic Disorder. I have taken Xanax for close to 19 years. I started off at .25 TID, and within a month I was increased to .5 MG TID. I stayed on that does for a year, and was then increaesd to .5 QID. I stayed at that does for 2 years, and the PSY. I saw after that increased it to 1 MG QID. I stayed at that dose, which worked for me for the next 8 years. I then found myself needing an extra, as they didn't seem to be lasting as long. In 2003, about a year later, I was taking 1 mg qid, and I would break one in half and take them between the times that I felt I needed it, which was daily. I always took a full one first thing in the morning and a full one at night. Also, at that time, I did not have a psychiatrist, but rather just a family dr. Unfortunatley, in the smallish town I live in, the psychiatrists have practices in other places, and most always end up leaving their practice here. In 2003 a psychiatrist opened an office here, but he also had  a practice in the larger city an hour from us. At anyrate, I told him my history, and he upped the Xanax to 6 mg per day. I stayed on that does until 2007. He had moved his practice from here in Sept. 06 . However, he said he would continue to see me via phone conference, which he did. In 2007 , 6 wasn't doing the trick , so he increased it to 8 mg per day. As of last month, he said I would have to come in or he wouldn't be able to see me. Well, I can't make it there due to panic/Agoraphobia. There is a mental health clinic here now. Not the public one. So I will have to try and make it there. However, I don't think they will write me a script for 8 mgs of Xanax, and I am terrified of comming off of them, due to their very short half life. I know from exp. some dr.s in the past wanted me off of them, and wanted to titrate them too aggressively. I didn't mess around with them, needless to say. You are excatly right about the roller coaster ride from the xanax. They act fast, but they reach their peak in a few hours. I had thought about asking the place I will be going about switching over to Klonapin, but there are so many phys. out there that think you can just drop Xanax and switch to another benzo. Any advice on what to tell the new Psch, and suggestions on switching to Klon.? I have tried SSRI's without much luck, and I'm not big on trying new meds, as it scares me wondering if I will have a bad side effect, that I work myself into almost a panic attack, or the anticipatory anxiety is so strong, that I can't bring myself to take new meds. Not all the time, and also depending on what it is.
Any suggestions, thoughts or advice is most appreciated.
Thanks,
John
You do realise the OP wrote this question over 3 years ago, right? lol
You do realise the OP wrote this question almost over 3 years ago, right? lol
RockyMD, I don't know who OP is, and someone in the past wrote the exact question as I did? That's scary......lol. At any rate, I'd be interesting to hear from some of the ones knowledgeable in this area. I do have, what I think, a pretty good knowledge of many facets in this area, but I'm always open to input. :)
It looks as though this thread is dead.
"While you probably won't believe this, the Xanax is actually making your agoraphobia worse. That is what Benzodiazepines (all of them) do over the long-term. They make everything worse"
The above statement I am sure hit all your followers upside the head like a slegehammer.  I think you should explain what you mean by that.  There is enough bad press about benzos as it is.  The web only hears from those who have had problems with them.  If one is doing fine on benzos and life is good, they will be no where near a forum like this.
Bonzo
Ryan's advice about tolerance and crossing over to klonopin on a schedule is widely supported by experience and studies and definitely the safest way to go in my opinion.  

Valium is also used as a cross-over drug for people with tolerance, particularly if they are wanting to withdraw from benzodiazepines. (Which is often a good idea if you're taking them long-term--they're really best for short-term or intermittent usage only, as they are highly addictive and have many side effects.)

Once you develop tolerance, the symptoms you experience when you try to stop the drug (panic, increased anxiety) are actually caused by the drug. It doesn't take long to develop tolerance to benzos.

There are serious questions about psychiatric drugs, including antidepressants.  They are potentially very dangerous. But they are also certainly very profitable for pharmaceutical companies, so you aren't going to hear a lot of publicity about the downside.

Here are a few non-crackpot websites about benzodiazepines, withdrawal, and psychiatric drugs in general:

http://www.breggin.com/

http://www.benzo.org.uk

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

http://www.benzowithdrawal.com

Hope this helps!

--Perg
I went to a detox center 3 weeks ago for xanax. I've been taking it for over 25 years. My last prescribed dosage was 5 mgs. a day. They detoxed me in 5 days using librium, and sent me home. I am in a terrible detox state, worse now than in detox. I'm having a problem finding a doctor who knows about xanax withdrawal. What type of doctor should I see. My original doctor who prescribed it wanted to cut a 1/2 mg a week, which I don't think would work too well. Any help finding a knowledgeable is greatly appreciated. I am now taking 0.5 mg of klonopin 3x daily, which isn't helping much with withdrawal. I am fearful of seizures or worse. Should I go back on the xanax?
Pleasse help
Can I make a clean switch from the konopin to the valium?
Thanks for all your help
kim
i'm nwe....i just starting oxazepam...i hope it'l help me
Looks like Ryan ( RCA7591) left these forums, his posts were all deleted. I don't think he is a doctor, although he seemed to know alot about pschopharmacology.
Wish there was a benzowise doctor on this site!!!

I have been suffering from panic disorder for 4 years now. I am not able to take any anti-depressants as therapy due to reactions. Klonopin has saved me. I still suffer but it is much better than just xanax. After 2 years of xanax I had to come off and I was chenged to klonopin .5 x 4 times a day. You will be very sleep in the begining but that tappers off and you will be fine in about 3 weeks.
I am thinkiing of switching from my 2 mg xanax twice a day to klonopin as well.  I heard its longer acting and I find the xanax to not be working or they dont last as long.  Im going ot ask my doctor and hope she gives me the 2 mg klonopin so same dose because of my severe post traumatic stress syndrome.  My mind races and i can live day to day its always week by week and i get so down about it i cant stop from being frustrated and depressed.  I have anxiety attacks easily.  I have two young toddlers so it adds so much for me and its not fair to them so i need something to just take and help me live normally.  I also have OCD and cant seem to kick that i am on lexapro but honestly think it does nothing so I might try switching from that too but  not sure to what.  I was on celexa which wasnt bad but i think it stopped working from being on it so long but maybe now i can try again. welle see. any advice?
I have been switched between 3 different Benzo's for my anxiety/panic issues.  In addition, I take 60mg Celexa and Ambien for sleep.  Diagnosed with PTSD..
As far as Xanax goes, it works quick and I always felt a buzz from it and I was on 1mg 3x per day and I never felt like it was enough; my triggers are many and its hard to leave to house.  I was switched to Ativan- a longer lasting benzo and I felt better for about 2 weeks but then felt like I grew a tolerance to it; it really doesn't take long for that to happen.  I tried not taking the Ativan for about 2 days and had some unpleasant side effects: chills, sweats, tremors, headaches, chest pain, severe panic/anxiety, flu-like symptoms... Somehow I knew it was withdrawal symptoms and did something very dumb..  Took many many Ativan all at once and ended up in the ER.. After a long visit in the mental health section I was switched to Klonopin which is supposed to be the longest lasting benzo; I believe I have been on it for 3 weeks now and -YES- it ALWAYS makes you tired..  I could literally sleep all day after taking that which isn't good to isolate for so long.  However, the anxiety isn't resolved from the Klonopin so I  may ask for an increase or a switch back to the Ativan in a higher dosage.  I am not one to rely on medication either but until I can find some peace of mind with the triggers I would choose medication and a cloudiness over the panic and anxiety..  That is my experience with benzos..
I have been taking either 1 mg ativan or 0.5 mg xanax as needed only, for about 20 years. I take the xanax to help me when i can't fall asleep, and the ativan when im forecasting a nerve wracking event. ativan does not make me sleepy, just relaxes me. xanax will put me to sleep.
My good friend recently (two weeks ago) was put on Klonopin to perhaps improve her outlook on life....it was so depressed.  She's found that it makes her dizzy and she tends to stagger around at work....it also, surprisingly increased her libido.  While she cheerfully accepts the improve libido (is this for real?),  the dizzy and stumbling around at work does not impress her co-workers (and definitely not impress her supervisors for obvious reasons).
I take .25 Xanax (as needed).  Has never affected me like that and definitely has done nothing for my libido, LOL.
Are her reactions for real ?

Frank
Klonopin can produce that side effect.  She should discuss the side efffects with her doc.
Perhaps she can split the pills in half and take less?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klonopin#Side-effects
I have been taking xanax 1mg 3-4 times a day 2 during the day and 2 to get to sleep. I have GAD and panic attacks I also take 60 mg of adderol before I go to work. Lately when I take a xanax I black out where ever I am and wake up an hour or 2 late. Never before happened and same dosage think about switching to Xanax XR or Klonopin any advice? If I don't take benzos I get panic attacks and anxious all the time.
Xanax has a rapid onset, usually about 20-30 minutes. The effect of the drug is usually done within 2-2.5 hours as apposed to Klonopin, which has a slow onset of about 45 min, but is active for 6-8 hours. They both do the same thing as they are in the BENZO drug class, one is just for quick reliefe w/ a short half life and the other is a slower onset w/ a longer halflife. So it really just depends on how severe you panic attacks are and how quick you can get them under control.

Hope this Helps
i so agree with what you posted...i am on xanax and it is for severe GAD and depression. Im also on cymbalta. i know that im dependent on xanax but when i feel better then ill wean myself off the xanax. true anxiety is dibilitating and sometimes benzos are all that can help you stand the pain. Thanks for your post.
i have had panic attacks since I was five, my twin sister as well. We inherited it from my dad, and his dad, etc etc. Im so sorry that youre experiencing these feelings. I started taking Klonopin 22 years ago. It was, for me, the best thing to have happen. I however dont like to take pills of any sort. I started taking Klonopin for severe panic disorder, OCD, etc etc. I started taking 1/2 0.5mg twice daily. Its been 22 years and I now take 1.75 mg. On the flip side, my twin sister takes xanax and klonopin. She was taking over 20 mg of Klonopin, chlorylhydrate(sp?), and xanax, all washed down by yukon jack. She was having seizures etc etc. Her liver is messed up and so is her brain.  The reason I tell you this is because you need to also incorporate some cognitive behavioral activities into your wellness plan.  You technically should not "feel" xanax or Klonopin. You should just notice that you dont feel anxious. My sister insisted that she was to be medicated to the point of numbness. That lead to her addiction to it. My lack of addiction I attribute to doing a LOT of hard work mentally. There are a lot of tools that you can use to assist the medication so that youre not dependent on it.
At 21 years old I withdrew completely and was agoraphobic for 6 years. Much of the time spent in my bedroom. With some cognitive behavioral therapy I was able to get out of the house and eventually was prescribed zoloft. In six months I was at college in Massachusetts (from MI).
I look at it this way, if you have diabeties (or anything) you have two treat it two fold. One; your medication. Be open and honest with your prescriber about your medicines and how you take them, as well as heeding the RX label warnings. Two; your mental health. Dont rely on Xanax or Klonopin to cure you. IF there was a miracle drug...i believe Klonopin would it... that being said, you have to meet any good miracle halfway. Watch what youre eating, no alcohol, be sure to sleep in a sleep conducive area, allow yourself time to "fret and worry", and remember panic attacks are "destressing, but not dangerous." Relief is on the other side of panic attacks...so instead of fighting it, invite it to come on. Most of the time youll realize that the fear is just the unknown and by staring it down its no longer an unknown.  There is a GREAT Dr. who has written a fantastic book call "Recovery" By Dr. Abraham Low. They also have meetings all over the country (the group name is "Recovery") for people who are prone to panic attacks, and generalized anxiety. Youre not alone in your feelings. They can be paralyzing for fear, or embarrassment. That is what leads to Agoraphobia. As a Socialpsychologist, I recommend that you don't avoid places that cause you to panic. Purposefully go to those places and stay there until the panic passes...and it will. Your brain will learn that its not the environment, "People places or things dont cause your panic...its your response to them."  Youre brain is very specialized, and can do many things...but it can only do one one thing at a time. Like a computer... but not nearly as fast. If you can only think one thought at a time...think of something pleasant. When the anxious thoughts re enter... erase it like a chalk board, crumple it up like a piece of paper, blow it up with dynamite, ...and return to your pleasant thought. I have found that saying the rosary works for me. I am not particularly Catholic, but the repetitiveness keep the mind occupied until my logical mind can regain control.
I replied to youre post because most of these people on here, including myself, are old friends with these symptoms. I could make a candy necklace with the amount of meds that the Drs try to prescribe to me.  You for some reason are experiencing these now and arent sure what to do. Its easy to take these pills and have them do the work, but if you can gain control over them for the most part and just take a small dose, youre likelihood of addiction or maxing out on the efficacy becomes less. Believe me, panic attacks are not worse then coming off of benzos. Panic attacks come and always go.  Addiction is always there.  Drs can only do so much: You have to decide if you want to be tuned in; tuned out; or tuned off.
My very best to you.
I've got a gut-wrenching family funeral to attend and I know that I will NOT make it without the help of a benzo.  My question is.... If I'm only gonna take it at max two weeks while I"m with the family but I want to be NUMB, whats better for me to try... klonopin or xanax???  I cannot take funerals at all!!!  I get so upset I cry loud enough for Florida to hear me from California!  I get hysterical and CANNOT quit!  I have totally NO CONTROL over my emotions when it comes to funerals so???????  Do I try to get my doc to give me xanax or klonopin?  Please try to answer quickly if possible, the funeral is this week in Kentucky so I've got to talk to doc on Monday at the latest!

Thanks so much!
kells
my dr started me off on 1 mg of kolonopin 3 times a day...no ween up...just here start this now. I have very bad anxiety and get attacks...but was that way too much to start with i am reading things about people who take .5 2x a day?
After several years of taking Xanax, usually .50 to .75 per day, to help treat Anxiety and slight depression, I found that the Xanax did work well. It's very effective within about a 20 minute onset. I've also tried several of the SSRI's with limited success. I'm currently on 20mg of Celexa. It's been 10 days. I was just switched today to .05 mg of Klonopin twice a day at bedtime. I took one this afternoon to see how it compared to the xanax. It took about one hour to feel the effects, which are the same as xanax, just not as strong. But thus far, the Klonopin does seem to feel smoother and not so abrubpt. The xanax works quick and well, but leaves you almost drained waiting for the next dose. I'm anxious to see how much longer this Klonopin stays in my system. That's what I need so that I can get through a days work as a cop.

I feel for all of those persons listed here and who suffer with these debilitating illnesses. You need the Lord Jesus Christ in your life first. He will guide your path. See 1st Peter 5:10. God gives us medicines to use appropriately, not to abuse. Consider the source before you believe some of these posts.
Have read all the posts and just wish to the Lord above that I had never, ever taken benzios. Valium made me aggitated, unable to sleep, and yucky. Ativan did the same. Then I was given Xanax. Took it for 2 years-1 mg. only at night. Then a series of bam-bam-bam life episodes had me taking a pinch aftrer a brutal anxiety raising episode. then, it just quit working! Not taking it made my skin crawl, nerves jump, brain blips, jerky shaking. However, taking it made me ill as well--to the E.R. over and over even by ambulance due to fainting. So a drug counsellor recommended that I try using Klonipin (klonopin). I am taking .5 twice a day, but am wondering if I should cut it to .25 and try tapering off after two weeks? But then what? This seems to be a darned if you do and darned if you don't.
What is the best way to ween yourself off of xanax???? I have been taking xanax for about 3 months I was taking klonopin for 1 and a half yrs then I went to xanax. How should I ween myself off
For reducing anxiety / calming down, I like klonopin (clonazepam) better than xanax (alprazolam). Xanax makes me too sleepy. I usually fall asleep on it. I get really loopy and drunk feeling if I take too many, which is easy to do, because I'm taking them for anxiety, and xanax isn't as good, for me, at combating anxiety as klonopins are. Now, xanax gives you more of a "high" supposedly because it affects serotonin, along with GABA. Xanax gets you more drunk feeling than the other popular benzodiazepenes. You may have problems walking and/or talking on higher doses. Also, memory loss or "black outs"is very common with xanax. Plus, xanax is usually the most expensive benzo on the black market, $5-6 for the 2mg bars. Also, valium is like weak klonopin. Why take 4 10mg blue valium, when you can take 2 1mg blue klonopins and get a similar effect. My 2 cents.
Hello, Im new to this, but here is a little about me. i have been on Klonopin for a little over 5 years and recently been presribed to 3x perday.  Im finding that Klonopin is no longer working for me, a family member is on Xanax and during an anxiety attack it actually calmed me down and I felt better.  My problem is im 36 year old male and can barely drive a car any more without my anxiety hitting me while driving I have barely avoided 5-8 car accidents on the interstate within the past two to three weeks.  I dont know what to do, my dr keeps uping my Klonopin to 3 a day and took me from Pristiq to Viibryd. This is not working, went to a councelor and they told me ways to avoid my SEVERE panic attacks and they dont work...... What do you do when your only hope in life is to never leave your home in fear of driving or going to the grocery store?
Hi, this is also my first post here. I take xanax two to three times a day. (.5) I also take Wellbutrin and have recently started Viibryd (a little over 2 months). My anxiety has mostly been my driving too...and a few other things. But I have been taking xanax for several years now. Never had Klonipin (klonopin). I would rather take a med like xanax when I need it, than take something I hope works when I need it...lol

Just wondering, how long have you been on Viibryd? It is really working wonders for my anxiety while driving (so far). I actually drove on a highway this past weekend! Yea! It has been years!!! Tried to go off the Wellbutrin, thinking that the Viibryd would work for both...that didn't work. So, seems my 3 meds together are doing great! I sure feel a lot better!!

ls
I have spoken to a few people over the years who had social anxiety and also trouble speaking in front of groups of people (not good when this is part of your job).  
They had good luck with beta-blockers (like Atenolol).  Good luck...
Wow.. it's good to know you're not alone with this anxiety/ Panic attacks .. it's world stopping and it makes you feel like you can't be all you can be. I started off on .25 mg of Xanax and was recently prescribed 1mg that I take first thing in the morning which is a whole lot better however by midday I yarn for a quick .25 mg to settle me down (is this safe). People that don't suffer from this disorder have no clue what it's like to be in constant pain... back, neck, chest and fear for your life. I wish everyone the best.
Youre absolutely correct. Stay with long half life Benzos like Valium (Diazepam) and Klonipin (klonopin) (Clonazepam). The shorter the half life the faster it acts and the faster gets out of your system making you more tolerant and finishing the prescription days before the refill.
I wish we all will not need a Benzo.

Khatchig
Just to replay on what you were talking about. I've been on Xanax for 5 years, three NON stop, everyday type deal. Recently, my biggest fear of life happen to me. I had a seizure here at my house and didn't even know at the time.. I even hit my head on the way down. This was all because the Xanax was not treating me. Wasn't helping at all.. to be honest, I swear the more I'd take, the more I'd get anxiety.. So it came time for me to fill up my prescription and I hit a massive withdrawl (withdrawal) that I didn't even want to leave my house. Pretty much suffering here knowing that this day will come, and it sure came after dodging it for such a long time. Before I keepin on rambling and not make any sense, I went to the hospital ( emergency room for what had happen to me..)     Scared me to death. I've been Xanax Free for over a month and a half now.. BUT I did start taking Klonopin 2mg.. First week was 4-6mg.. now I'm down to 4mg... And the funny part is that now the second one doesn't call unless some triggers my anxiety really bad/crazy or I can't go to sleep.        Basically, if you can get off the xanax, by all means, try and so so.. TRUST ME, i have gone to hell, back and back again.. with drawls are the worst thing in the world.. but Klonopin with help u ease off the xanax.. at least u won't be taking xanax.. immediately u'll be feeling better in the sense just knowing your not taking it.. your memory even the way you are will change ..    PPL will even tell you.
anyone tested for lyme? usually unexplainable anxiety is lyme
just a quick one because i feel very hopeless at the moment.i am currently living in the uk but originally form south africa.i went through a very rough patch in 2010/2011 and started to get flashbacks or i don't really know what you call it of places,streets and areas in South africa.i know it is nothing to be scared about right???its going on for so long now that i don't know what to do with it anymore.did any of you ever experience this before???HELP.so i was prescribed xanax but very scared to take them as i don't know if they will help me.
Klonopin is also used to treat seizure disorders I believe...
I have been using xanex for years and it helps me sleep very well at night ,however I  have developed muscle twitching constantly in my legs and occasionaly in my upper body along with mental lag.This is a bad drug for long term use.It took me over a year to realize what it was doing to me.It will scare the hell out of you in the long term.
I took klonopin for 10 years and just quit my self without the help of a doctor. No I said No withdraws at all. So what you said is not true I weened my self off klonopin
I've been on Klonopin for six months months now 0.5mgs twice a day. It helps me a WHOLE lot with my anxiety and takes away my hand tremors due to my anxiety. I have anxiety REALLY BAD!  I recently got on airplane and flew feeling very very calm with no panic attacks on the plane. Before taking Klonopin my doctor tried EVERY MEDICATION OUT THERE to keep my anxiety under control. Nothing else worked. I have been on Lyrica for almost two years even that doesn't stop my panic attacks. Lyrica does help me with my pain that I have in my back. With Klonopin I feel relaxed and don't get so emotional before my period. Bottom line KLONOPIN WORKS FOR ME! Another bonus about Klonopin I no longer think about hurting other people cause it takes away ALL UNWANTED thoughts. Everyone reacts differently to medication. By the way I see my doctor every two months.
I have PTSD and a very serious anxiety disorder. It took years of going to dr. After dr. I finally found one that is wonderful with treating me i take 6 2mg klonopin aday also loxipine 5 mg 5x aday, visteral 100mg 5x aday, and for sleep he has me on 30mg and 15 mg of flurazepam(dalmane). That's just the psych meds. I also take soma. And even with all that my anxiety is not under control neither are the flashbacks- better just wish i could feel " normal". What else can i do or take. Like i said this dr. Is the best he wants to help me not like the many drs. Who looked at me like im crazy and gave me wrong diagnosis and meds. That were awful. Any suggestions on what else to do?
I take paxam 3 times per day 2mg great for anxiety. 2mg bar xanax ruin lives and can cause derious dramas as you can't remember a bloody thing. Im also on 1000mg seroquel at night, 45mg avanza at night  and stilnox at night and 10mg baclofen twice a day and 100mg disovable antabuse for alcoholism. on 18 tablets a day at the age of 33. And finally found the right psychiatrist. also on 120mg (24ml) methadone each day as i was addicted heavily to opiods. Never touched heroin or iv. Thats me.
Kermit the Hermit One good thing about music,... Comment
TinaR10 commented on OctoberMommy2014's status
MusiciansWish1990 Had a nice long bike ride a... Comment