lexapro and klonopin
hello all
i have just started lexapro 8 days ago. started with 5 mg the first week and now 10 mg. I was takin .05 mg of xanax as needed while the lex was getting into my system. My doc swithched from xanax to klonopin  one .05 mg in the morning and 2 at night when anxiety is at its peak for me. he said that klonopin would be better it has a longer life than xanax? any input would be great!!
thanks
anthony
Hi Anthony.  Xanax is short acting, meaning it only lasts a few hours in your body.  Klonopin lasts longer and with it being prescribed 2 times a day, it will control your anxiety all day and night.  I take the 1mg Klonopin in the morning and two at night.  I am also on Lexapro, and this combination has worked very well for me.  I hope this helped and take care!
Hi Anthony,

I take lexapro (20mg a day) and find it to be the most helpful anti-depressant I've tried. I took xanax (6mg a day) for about 10 years and it was extremely effective in relieving my anxiety.  When I was hospitalized a few years ago for severe depression my pdoc switched me from xanax to klonopin (2mg a day).  I'm not exactly sure why, but found the klonopin not even close to the xanax in helping with the anxiety. I know that klonopin has a longer half-life than xanax and I think that's why pdoc's prefer it.  Being that the klonopin didn't work for me I have since switched back to the xanax xr which supposedly stays in your system as long as klonopin. I find it helps much more  than the klonopin but not nearly as  well as the regular xanax. Hope this wasn't too confusing and helps with your question. I know meds effect everyone differently, but that has been my experience.

My Experience

Xanax-Best for my anxiety
Xanax Xr-Not As Good as the Regular
Klonopin-Didn't Seem To Work For Me