Anxiety Community
lexapro and klonopin

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

lexapro and klonopin

hello all
i have just started lexapro 8 days ago. started with 5 mg the first week and now 10 mg. I was takin .05 mg of xanax as needed while the lex was getting into my system. My doc swithched from xanax to klonopin  one .05 mg in the morning and 2 at night when anxiety is at its peak for me. he said that klonopin would be better it has a longer life than xanax? any input would be great!!
thanks
anthony
Hi Anthony.  Xanax is short acting, meaning it only lasts a few hours in your body.  Klonopin lasts longer and with it being prescribed 2 times a day, it will control your anxiety all day and night.  I take the 1mg Klonopin in the morning and two at night.  I am also on Lexapro, and this combination has worked very well for me.  I hope this helped and take care!
Hi Anthony,

I take lexapro (20mg a day) and find it to be the most helpful anti-depressant I've tried. I took xanax (6mg a day) for about 10 years and it was extremely effective in relieving my anxiety.  When I was hospitalized a few years ago for severe depression my pdoc switched me from xanax to klonopin (2mg a day).  I'm not exactly sure why, but found the klonopin not even close to the xanax in helping with the anxiety. I know that klonopin has a longer half-life than xanax and I think that's why pdoc's prefer it.  Being that the klonopin didn't work for me I have since switched back to the xanax xr which supposedly stays in your system as long as klonopin. I find it helps much more  than the klonopin but not nearly as  well as the regular xanax. Hope this wasn't too confusing and helps with your question. I know meds effect everyone differently, but that has been my experience.

My Experience

Xanax-Best for my anxiety
Xanax Xr-Not As Good as the Regular
Klonopin-Didn't Seem To Work For Me
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 28
mishymoshymarcy Who cares about what you sh... Comment
Sep 27
musicfem joined this community
Welcome them!
Sep 27
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms