Anxiety Community
low blood sugar/anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

low blood sugar/anxiety

just wanted to kno if anyone on this forum is dealing with hypoglycemia along with there anxiety..i have had the low blood sugar since im 15( im 21 now)..and i know if i don't eat right and take care of it it can make you feel dizzy,lightheaded, tremors and what not..and now that i have anxiety iv noticed alot of the symptoms mimic each other..also i have always been really thin..and since i cant eat lots of carbs and sugars i dont gain alot of weight, and since i started zoloft i lost 5 more pounds(at least i think its the zoloft..my anxiety makes me think im losing weight from some other serious problem..im about 5'11 adb weight 130 pounds, its terrible..i dont really know where im going with this post lol but just wanted to know if anyone was in the same boat as me, and how they deal with both problems
I have hypoglycemia and I think that it was the cause of my first panic attacks.  When your blood sugar gets low your body will pump adrenaline into the system.  Somehow it works with the insulin.  Not really sure.  I do know that when I don't eat every few hours, and when I say eat I mean a balanced meal (protein, carb, good fat), my anxiety will get tuned up quite a bit.  My latest spell of anxiety that I've had for a year started when I had a panic attack one afternoon around 1:00 pm.  I was all worked up about something, but at the same time I didn't eat breakfast and still hadn't eaten lunch.  I'm positive that lots of my anxiety and especially panic attacks come from blood sugar issues in me.  There is a good book on Hypoglycemia and I can't remember the name, but the lady who wrote talks about how she was having electro shock therapy back in the 60's before anyone knew about this because she was having anxiety, depression, etc.  Hypoglycemia in my case is a leading cause in my anxiety triangle.
I think the best place for you to start getting answers to your questions is from your doctor.
Other people can share their experiences and that will undoubtably ease your mind somewhat, but as with everything we discuss on this forum, be it meds, anxiety, panic, depression, OCD.........we are all different and what works for one may or may not work for someone else. You should get professional advice that is geared specifically for YOU.
Peace
Greenlydia
good eating habbits are key in treating BOTH anxiety and hypoglycemia separately...that's no different if you have them both together. while there are many routes in treating anxiety...all of those routes are aided by good diet. i've yet to hear of one thats aided by a poor diet, but i suppose all is possible...though certainly not probable. obviously the frontline treatment of hypoglycemia is good diet. with this in mind, it's reasonable to assume good diet can only benefit you.

i have hypoglycemia also and the best thing to do is stick with whatever medical diet you're given. it gives you considerably less to worry about when you're keeping yourself healthy....so that alone relieves some anxiety, right?
Missy1231984 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
33 mins ago
Moma_Cher commented on photo
34 mins ago
Freedom46 commented on photo
43 mins ago