Anxiety Community
magnesium for anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

magnesium for anxiety?

has anyone tried magnesium for their anxiety?.....i have been reading and alot of people say it works.

i just went and bought 2 bottles, 1 pill is 500 mg of magnesium. another bottle is magnesium,calcium, and zinc in one pill. about 133mg of each.

i talked to a friend of mine who is also a nutrisionst (sp?) and she suggested it, and said she took cal-mag (calcium and magnesium) but iw couldnt find that one thats why i bought the mag-cal-zinc one.

im willing to try anything. going to see a psychiratrist on thursday =/ but would rather be able to do it on my own.

i have never taken any kind of vitamins or minerals or supplements. they arent going to make me feel crazy are they (i know might be stupid question but i hate side effects)
The Mag/Cal/Zinc one is best since they all work together.  And no, they won't make you feel crazy, in fact, you won't feel anything at all, really.

Something else, Turkee...I've been taking Valarian Root for a week and I feel EXCELLENT!  I have severe anxiety, too and it's working like a miracle!  I'm also taking Black Cohosh primarily for menopausal hot flashes but it's also good for mood and I am so pleased!  

I've seen your struggle honey and so sorry for you.  I've had anxiety my entire life so it's nothing new, but for someone like you to suddenly have to deal with it - that's got to be unnerving.  

Good luck to you, hon!
thank you so much.....

did you go through therapy and meds for anxiety or did you just do the natural thing?

can you do the natural path along with the meds? i guess not right im sure it should be one or the other.

im going to see a psychiratrist this week, my therapist said it woul dbe a good idea. to go on meds for a little while along with therapy

what has your journey been like?
Hi turkee,

Calcium and magnesium are great. You may also want to look into L-Theanine, Tryptophan, GABA and some B Vitamins. I was on prozac for several years which helped lower my anxiety levels but always had some weird side effects. We don't go into details, but let's just say my wife was happier when I got off the stuff.  

It was my wife actually who convinced me to go the natural path route. I thought it was a little kookie at first but with a combination of therapy and a few natural supplements I feel in much better shape mentally than when I was on prozac.

You should check out a supplement called Tranquilene (www.tranquilene.com). That has calcium and magnesium in it, along with tryptophan, thenaine, B Complex and a bunch of other great stuff. I get it monthly ant it has pretty much everything I need in it (except vitamin C, but that stuff is cheap).

Good luck!
-Sean
labyrinth28 longing for jannah Comment
10356 commented on Pat1956100's status
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...