melatonin
can i take melatonin if im using mirena
Please ask your doctor or pharmacist if this combination is contraindicated.

Too many people are under the misguided perception that any and all OTC meds/supplements/vitamins and herbal products are perfectly safe to take with RX meds. And this, tragically, is sometimes not the case.
Please consult a professioanl before adding anything, OK?
(And the kid working at Herbs R Us is NOT the professional I'm talking about!)
Peace
Greenlydia
Melatonin is produced naturally by your body so it "should" be okay. I want to add that although most melatonin bottles say you can take up to 9 mg research shows that 1mg is the best dose and more than that can actually keep you up. So if you have the sublingual kind you can break them in half or in smaller pieces.
It "should" be okay is not good advice.........irregardless if the substance is in our bodies naturally or not. No one here is qualified to tell anyone to take anything without first checking with their doctor.

If a little extra melatonin in her system could cause her IUD birth control device stop working than I strongly urge her to never turn off the lights as that will result in melatonin being produced by her body and lead to the IUD failure as well.
Your arguement has merit, but I still stand by my opinion to check with your MD before adding anything. I still feel VERY strongly that "it should be okay," is NOT good advice for ANY situation.

The pond behind my house has been freezing over at night. The ice looks pretty thick. Why don't you stop by and strap on your skates..........it should be okay.
I quoted "should" to highlight the word more than anything. I'm 100% sure that it's fine. Had it been something like valerian root or st johns wort I wouldn't have said anything since those are known to interact with a wide range of medicines and treatments and cause a variety of side effects, but with melatonin there is no chance of interaction.