Anxiety Community
miss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

miss

today i was given clonazepam 0.5mg as i suffer severe panic attacks there was no information leaflet in packet i am unsure exactly what these tablets are for or if any side affects
Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine and it is prescribed for people that have panic attacks.  It is akin to Xanax but clonazepam (Klonopin) takes a little longer to work but it stays in your system longer.  I take 1 mg every night to sleep so it will make you tired.  Sometimes I felt a little loopy too so you need to take it on a day that you are home and see how it affects you.  How often were you told to take it?  
i was told to take it only when having a panic attack i took my 1 yest afteernoon and have been very very sleepy i have just woke up and am still very sleepy
Hopefully it helped ease your panic.  What dose did they prescribe to you?
0.5 but i am now worring why doctor has only told me take them when taking an attack this does not prevent me taking them i have a young son and havent yet took 1 infront of him this realy worries me i do not wont to scare him its very scary for me never mind a wee boy.
Medication can be effective for panic however it really needs to be dealt with at the level of CBT first.  If you haven't learned the techniques to use to get yourself out of a panic attack or even prevent one, then you will always have to throw medication at it.  Is a psychiatrist prescribing the klonopin or is it your general doctor?  Ideally, you should be seeing a psychologist to learn cognitive behavioral techniques such as controlled breathing, self-communication, etc.  I use them when I have panic or actually sometimes if I start thinking about something too much, I throw controlled breathing at it before it can even come on and most of the time I can avert it.  Same with self-communication.  But you have to know how to do it and have faith that it is going to work.  Once you have positive experiences with it, you can then start falling back on them to further strengthen your control over panic.  
i only attend my doctor he personaly was on holiday other day when i took big panic attack it was his partner that gave me the medication as mine isnt back to 23rd july, i have been doing breathing techniques an ambulance crew had showed me at 1 point during an attack i am farmilar with controlled breathing as i have had asthme since i was a child but sometimes i have no warning of these attacks they come on rapidly full blown for nothen other night i was just lying on couch watching tv i have been treated for anxiety for years and have been prescribed lots of different medication for last 15 years so many different 1s i couldnt possibly name them afore i got clonazepam i was taking citalopram 20mgs which stopped helping me and afore them was buspirone hydrochloride 10mg wich also stopped working.
ditch6755 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
31 mins ago
lulu747 commented on In hell right now
46 mins ago
In hell right now
53 mins ago by Amandag78