Anxiety Community
muscle twitching due to anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

muscle twitching due to anxiety?

Hi I'm a 21 year old male that goes to ASU and have always been pretty healthy. But lately I have been having a ton of muscle twitches all through out my body (mostly in legs though). My doctor says this could be due to anxiety? I do beleive i have anxiety but I cant believe it would cause this twitching. Also the last few days my hands and feet have felt cold off and on. Like my blood is cold running through them. Are these common nerve problems or just symptoms of anxiety? I have had some nerve and blood tests but they all came back alright. My doctor said she may send me to a nuerologist but I do not know if that would be a waste of money. I just dont like living my life with such medical anxiety.....
Thanks guys.
You'd be surprised what anxiety and stress can do to one's body.  Your body is reacting and you should listen to it.  How's  your heart rate? Have you measured it?  Seeing a neurologist is a good idea, will eliminate MS or some other type of neuroglogical disorder.   Remember, anxiety is actually a nerve component.  

Just be prepared, if all tests reveal no other problems then your doctor will likely prescribe anti-depressants which are also used to treat anxiety. Before even considering taking these medications which all have nasty side effects in starting and stopping them, explore other options such as changing your lifestyle, CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy), and Biodfeedback, Once you start these nasty meds, you'll have a hard time getting off them.  Of course, there will always be exceptions.  But, they're not common.
I know exactly how you feel as I had the very same muscle twitching. It can occur anywhere in your body.  Believe me. Anxiety can cause all kinds of bodily sensations and symptoms. You are in college and college can be a very stressful time. I think you just need to think about what will make YOU feel better. You have already seen your GP who thinks everything is okay. If you are like I was, however, and are progressively starting to obsess about something being medically wrong to the point that it is interfering with your life, then go ahead and go to the neurologist.Once I did that (and everything was okay) I felt better. It can be a double edged sword, however, because sometimes going to more doctors can just make you more anxious about it. It is so complicated!! My muscle twitiching happens much less frequently now and is not as severe, but it does still happen sometimes. I just ignore it.  I FEEL for you b/c I have been there. If I can be of any other help, please let me know. There are lots of options for managing anxiety and everyone is different. Also remember that it is not "just in your head" -you're not crazy. Your mind and body are connected and work as one.
This is just a theory and please feel free to dismiss it if you really dont think it applies to you,,, but I understand where you get the idea that mabey these sensations arent caused by anxiety but rather have a physical cause. Atleast your open to the idea that it MAY be,,, thats a step further than alot of people are willing to extend themselves because most of us fight the thought that somethings amiss with our emotional state... society as others have said here tend to label even slight imablances as 'crazy' behavior and no one wants to think that.

If you genuinely think that its physically caused though,,, consider everything your taking into your body in any way shape or form including the sorts of mental stimulation you give yourself in your free time.

Hormones as well as outside 'toxins' can indeed cause muscle twitching/spasms. I know as one who has been through chemotherapy that the muscles spasm when poisoned and the degree of poisoning is directly reflected in the frequency and painfulness of the twitching.

There are alot of things that can build up in the body over time, stress/fear hormones for one which are generally self produced by the body itself.... heavy metals that can be ingested through drug use (even OTC herbals) tobacco intake, even through the liquids we drink and the foods we ingest. (pesticides, herbicides and fungicides)

Im not saying you should go on some fasting diet or whatever,,, but if you pay attention to when these spasms began and the three days before everything that was consumed/drank and so forth... it may help you to pinpoint whatever the trigger is.

IF its soley psychological though that may also become more clear and help you to decide if an anxiety or anti-depressant medication will help you get through the issue so that it no longer is one anymore.

*Blessings* Jenn
mishymoshymarcy I wish I could just plug my... Comment
18 mins ago
gymdandee commented on New GMO
49 mins ago
pixielv commented on Tramadol & Ultram...