Anxiety Community
my 6 year old boy anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

my 6 year old boy anxiety

My 6 year old boy started first grade this year in his old school but he got transferred to another school on the same town but closer to our home this year on the second week of school. Since then he wasn't happy to go to school like he was on the old school. He cries every morning on the way to school. He says he can't stop it. He gets stomachache and says that he doesn't like school, that he can't figure out what the teacher mean sometimes. He completed a reading and writing test on the same day he was transferred to this new school and his level was 2. The teacher said he needed to be on level 12. He already can read level 4 books. I think he is feeling the pressure off the new school. But since it's being almost 2 months now I started to get worried about his crying every morning. The teacher said he is great at school and happy. When I pick him up he is really happy to see me but not too excited to tell my about his day at school. I still haven't heard about any friend he likes to hang out at school. When they line up in the morning to get inside he does't really talk to any kid. He wasn't like that before. So that worries me a little bit too. What should I do to help him deal with that? Should I ask the school to have a counselor or therapist to talk to him? I really don't know what to do at this point.
Thanks!
No offence AROMAS, but I don't think a 6 year old needs a lavender bath to heal his "anxiety" of school.

Anninhag12, I think your son is probably doing what I did at first. I was very VERY attached to my mother as a young boy preschool, kindergarten, 1st grade. I remember even in 1st grade, I would cry in class, and my teacher would ask me infront of all the kids "whats the matter?" and I would say "I miss my mom".

But, the good news is, I GREW OUT OF IT. =)

2nd grade, I met a good friend, who is still my best friend of 20 years. =) And things were good.

Now I know schools arent the same anymore even when I was a kid, and I'm only 27. But I hear school is so different now.

I would not do anything mumbo jumbo, like lavender baths, or take him to the Dr., but I don't think a "talk" with the school counselor would be a bad idea. He may open up and say some things to him/her that he doesnt feel comfortable telling you? But I dont' know all that. He may feel more comfortable telling you.

If he has a little bit of a learning disability, no big deal. Actually, at age 6, sounds like he's doing really good. Theres too much pressure in this society these days.

Try the school councelor thing, see how that goes. Talk to your kid a lot before bed, while tucking him in. And wish him a good day before he gets on that school bus, and reassure him his day will be great, and give him something to look forward to after school or something? Just a thought. =)

Remember, he's only 6. Don't think there is anything "WRONG" with your child. He's just a kid. Hang in there. Things will get better, he'll find a friend or friends, he'll achieve! He'll grow. And he'll adapt. If things continue to get worse or concern you, continue to talk to him, nurture him and keep in touch with his teacher.

Hope this helped. =) God Bless You! =)
Is it possible that he is being bullied at the new school by some kid(s)? I can happen to a kid when they are new. Often teachers think there is no problem because they think that bullying is 'normal' with kids...IT ISNT and it is NOT OK. That he is very smart or bored, would probably not make him hate school or cry. I have a son that was very advanced and bored  from 1st grade on, and he never didn't want to go to school. That you stay on top of things is good. If it was me...I'd get involved in his classroom in some way and see how he acts when he's in class. OR if that is not possible, volunteer at the school in the office etc. I was the 'sick room nurse' and it's amazing how being near the office you hear about all that is going on in ALL the classes. Good luck.
I would keep an open line of communication going with his teacher as to how he is in school, does he have friends, is he a loner, etc.  His teacher can do a lot to make sure he is involved and that other children include him.....it's her job.  My youngest son was like your son so I pasted a family photo inside his lunchbox and told him to always remember that he always has us and we'll all see each other at the end of our day, and it helped a lot.  I would ask if there is a way you can observe him at school, hopefully without his knowledge.  It never hurts to get the school involved early on to ensure that he is doing okay while at school. I know it's very painful for you, but I think he is in an adjustment period and this will pass.  I always suggested to teachers that they have a "buddy system" for new kids.  I told them to ask the kids how they would feel at a new school so they could understand how the new child felt.  A buddy system makes sure the child is involved and has someone to eat lunch with etc.  I wish you both all the best and take care.
meuhmy added the Weight Tracker
1 hr ago
djpepper joined this community
Welcome them!
specialmom commented on The worst week.