Anxiety Community
my doctor wont take me seriously

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

my doctor wont take me seriously

i am just fed up trying to get help for my anxiety/ocd/depression and suicidal thoughts.
i used to have a real good mental health team back home, but ever since i moved to a new Provence it is so hard to get help i am on my third doctor in this city, the first 2 said i was just stressed and ill get over it, but its been 6 years and im not over it, it is actually getting worse, my ocd gets so bad i have almost came to killing myself over it a few times, i get so mad and frustrated i actually rip my hair out and do bad things to myself, for 6 months i have delt with pain issues from endometrioses and been taking narcotic pain medication and have been clean off it for just over 2 weeks, and the pain meds helped with my psychiatric issues well just because they got me high i guess? and now not on them im dyeing of all my ocd/stess/anxeity ext.... i have a new doctor i saw a few weeks ago after 90 minutes first time meeting him he puts the lable of bi polar on me, and thats crap, i had 5 years of weekly therapy back home and i was diagnosed with bpd,ocd, extreme anxiety/panic attacks and was nicely medicated for it, now this new doctor has me on bi polar meds that i dont wanna take because for one they are not helping and 2 they make you gain alot of weight and im so not doing that. and i dont see how a doctor can put a diagnoses on you after 90 minuets and says the diagnoses i had back home after the 5 years of therapy is wrong??!! how could he say this? i dont know what to do to get taken seriously, i went into the hospital one day weeks ago afraid i was actually about to end it all, i have 3 young kids i have to be here for but its just getting to hard with alla this and detoxing offa pain meds and its all hitting me at once and im scarred. i dont know really what my question is here i dont think anyone can answer me by telling me how to make this new psych take me seriously. im just lost and im always on the addictions forum on this site, and thought maybe i could get some help in here, because really the ocd/and anxiety in my underlining issue in life right now . so thank you for reading i hope someone can give me some words of wisdom here...
Did you have all of your medical records transferred from your previous doctors to your new one? Were you in therapy for your ocd/depression/anxiety or just meds? If so did the therapy work, and if not, perhaps that's why this new doctor is changing things up. After 5 years he probably expects there would have been signs of improvement with your conditions.
I have to agree with the above post.  Your previous doctor may have misdiagnosed you.  Not everyone gains weight on bi-polar medications.  You need the medication to feel better, I'd rather feel good and put on a few pounds, than have to deal with all that you are.  If you find yourself gaining weight, just step up your exercise a little, it will be worth it.
You've actually talked of taking your life, it's just not worth it, and your children need you.  Give this new doctor a chance to make you feel better and get your life back. I wish you all the best.
Hey.....
Well, something that springs to mind, and personally what i would do, is that you could try is getting back in touch with your previous doctor/mental health team from your old provence.  Go through your old paper work from them and gather up their telephone numbers and email addresses and explain to the psychiatrist, care co-ordinator, support worker etc.. who ever had a hand in your care and who your trusted, the situation you now face with your new doctors.  Ask them if they could contact your new doctor on your behalf and explain that you felt you were doing well on the medication and with the therapy that you were recieving back then and would like to continue with this.  Also go into detail about how you are feeling now, esspecially the suicidal thoughts etc, as this will prompt action faster.  They could become your advocates and give you a voice that can be heard!!  I know this as this is a practice that can and is used in the UK, having experience within the medical field myself.

Your new doctor may not feel your previous diagnosis was correct due to the length of time in therapy etc... so is trying a different angle, but if you really believe that your old medication and treatment made you feel stable then the above action is what you should think about trying.  It may take some time but doing something is better than doing what you are doing now hey!

Good-luck and dont give up hope!!!  There is always more than one way to skin a cat (so to speak) xxx
first answer: i was on meds and had therapy for it, for about 5 years it took about a year and a half to find the right meds, played with a few kinds and ended up on epival,olazapine,clamazapan and ativan (spelling) and were on thoses for about 3 years all together and then stoped when i was pregnant moved to calgey 8 months pregnant and yes all my files were transfered to the first doctor, my mom and the therapist got into a fight in her office becuase my mom knows i need help and the therapist was kinda rude and told my mom that there is nothing wrong with me and blamed her pretending there was on my mothers bad parenting, it was really upsetting for me, n e ways i know i have issues, maybe not what my mom thinks i have but bottom like ocd/anxiety are major issues for me, i cant even go out of my house ill have a panic attack and faint and it ***** cuz i cant take my kids out unless i have there dad come with me how lame is that!. but yup ok "julie"and u all have a good point ima deff's do that and see if i can get my reccords again thank you for your help you guys :)
Also, check out this website, it will help. http://www.linden-method.com/ Especially if you're tired of dealing w/Dr's and tired of having this. I just found this today myself, it's been used by many people. I'm sure it can benefit us too. Good Luck and don't give up. :)
heh thanx! looks interesting :)
I know exactly how you feel. Every time I have a problem or something going on, my doctors always chalk it up to anxiety. I swear, if I suddenly started to grow a 3rd arm out of my side, they would say it's just due to anxiety. It's like they don't want to put in the effort to find out whats really going on.
omg lol, i know! the arm thing is funny hehe
but yea especially coming from a team that was sooooo good to me, to this begging to get help man its crap! i miss b.c i wish i could move back sometimes :(
I totally understand you, and I think the doctors easy say its anxiety if you first have had it. Its not good. Of course it may be, but they should really listen to their patiens feelings. We know how anxiety feels, they dont. And we know our body best. Ask for all the test you want, an take them , so you dont have to go wondering if anything is wrong. I do...have taken a lot, but not finished yet, If it shows to be anxiety, ok, but they shall scheck you out first, Just tell him what you want!! Dont ask! Lot of hugs to you
Swollentoe commented on Ms_C's status
LovemyKids86 Aliyah will be 2 in 2 weeks... Comment
dianeadelle commented on 4happygnomes's status