Anxiety Community
natural remedies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

natural remedies

Does anyone know any good natural remedies that have helped anxiety??  I've been hoping that with eating well and some good exercise, I could beat it.  I guess I'd probably be a lot worse without it, but I'm still tense.  The strange thing is that I don't have anything in particular that I feel should cause me any stress but I feel anxious far too often.  

What works for you?  
I recommend a book by Hyla Cass called Natural Highs; she's a psychiatrist with UCLA.  It will pretty well cover the field of what's available in natural remedies for anxiety, which is a lot, and usually with natural remedies combinations are used, not anything singly.  Examples are 5htp, GABA, taurine (precursor to GABA), and herbs such as passionflower, kava, valerian, hops, etc., plus adaptogens such as eleuthero and ashwaghanda to help with stress on the body.  B Vitamins, particularly B6, and the mineral magnesium are also important.  As you can see, it's complex.  Seeing a naturopath might be an idea.
Exercising and eating well may help alleviate stress and contribute to overall well being. It appears to work for me.

I also supplement with L-tryptophan w/ B-6, B complex, magnesium, fish oil, valerian, vitamin E, and vitamin C. I am on no meds. Was on klonopin. I follow an "inflammation free" diet concept. All of this has appeared to help me. I'd be careful if you choose to supplement. Do your homework. All brands are not equal and you get what you pay for. I'd also stay away 5-HTP (in preference to L-tryptophan) and GABA. The 5-HTP MAY increase blood serotonin levels too high and GABA is simply worthless.

Regardless, I would get a checkup with your MD if you haven't already. Manifested anxiety can be caused by a variety of conditions. There is also a mental aspect of anxiety you'll have to get a handle on. Possible help with that could be therapy or CBT.

Good luck!

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you really know alot about the best herbs and natural elements for anxiety. I will look for the book you suggest. I strongly believe in natural remedies over drugs since i seem to have more success with them and less problems and side effects. I still use panicyl which is a blend of several of the vitamin b's and herbs you listed.  

May i ask what you take and what works for you Paxiled?  Also, from your handle im guessing you had a bad experience with Paxil?
Sorry, can't be of help there.  I managed health food stores for 18 years, but was already on medication when I started.  By the time I learned natural supplements well enough to treat myself, I was already on Paxil.  When the side effects got so bad I couldn't write, which I had turned to full time, I had my shrink take me off it, but he never told me about withdrawal even when I was going through it.  It messed me up in a very unusual way, and I've never recovered, and most natural remedies for anxiety now have a paradoxical effect on me.  I do take some -- I use Holy basil, a cortisol regulator; melatonin when I can't sleep or Calm's Forte, a homeopathic sleep remedy; ignatia amara and gelsemnium sylvestre, homeopathic remedies for anxious thoughts and anticipatory anxiety; and the occasional Gaia Serenity compound, a mixture of herbs, and taurine to make GABA.  I also take adaptogens (the ones I mentioned) and fish oil, and I meditate twice a day and exercise a lot, and eat pretty much only organic foods, though I'm not the model eater.  Problem is, I'm now on Lexapro, and have been on clonazepam for a long time, and when you're on those types of medications it severely limits the types of herbs you can safely take.  Ironic the Paxil withdrawal prevented me from using the program I had devised, ain't it?
Jade59 commented on photo
Jade59 commented on photo
10356 commented on onthefence's status