Anxiety Community
need urgent help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

need urgent help

Hi, my name is Tina and I'm new here.
I've had some mild anxiety issues for the past 2 years but nothing serious, until recently. On Sept. 8 I was rushed to the ER with tachycardia, which was not anxiety related. They found out that my heart is fine but I have supraventricular tachycardia- not a life threatening condition, which could be corrected with an ablation. That's an outpatient procedure and was scheduled for Oct. 8th. In the meantime, I was so terrified of a recurring episode, that I went to my GP, who prescribed Xanax. I started taking 1.5 mg a day and have been taking it for a month and a half now. It gets rid of my anxiety but it also makes me feel drowsy. The heart procedure went fine and I thought that my anxiety would go away but instead, it got worse. My legs get weak for no apparent reason, I feel like I'm about to faint and I have a horrible time sleeping- I wake up at 4am with my heart racing every morning. I don't want to keep taking the Xanax, I know it's very addictive, so I went to see a psychiatrist, who diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder and prescribed Klonopin and Lexapro. I'm supposed to just switch from 1.5mg Xanax to 2mg of Klonopin and 10mg of Lexapro daily. I don't want to get in this bottomless drug pit but I dont know what to do. I'm also about to leave the US in January and now worry how will I be able to make that trip. I still haven't made the switch to Klonopin and haven't started the Lexapro, I'm so terrified of getting dependent and having to go through withdrawal. Today, I'm also seeing a psychotherapist. I'm trying to get some control back but I feel so alone and hopeless. PLEASE, anybody, can you give me any advice? Any experience with switching from Xanax to Clonazepam? What about the Lexapro? PLEASE, help me, I'm so desperate...
Thank you in advance for all replies.
Hi. You will be fine switching over to the Klonopin from the Xanax, and you will feel better.  Clonazepam lasts longer in your system comtrolling your anxiety better, where Xanax is prescribed on an "as needed" basis, and is short acting. I take both of these medications with excellent results, and the sooner you start the Lexapro the better.  It will take 4-6 weeks for it to reach a therapeutic level in your body.  You have to realize that anxiety is like any other medical condition that requires medication to control the symptoms.  We don't think twice if we are given medication for any other type of illness except for anxiety and depression, I guess we feel we should be able to handle it on our own.  But often we can't, and the medications are needed.  If, and when you reach a point of not needing medication, with the help of your doctor you can successfully wean off of them.  Worrying so much about this is adding to your problems, so do what you need for now to get your life back.  There are many of us who wish we didn't have to take medications, but we do and our lives are better for it.  These are two very good medications.  I wish you all the best and take care!
thank you, Mammo, for the words of encouragement. i'd like to hear your own story,too.
The Ultimate Food Storage Cheat She...
4 mins ago by gymdandee
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
31 mins ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago