Anxiety Community
nervous stomach help

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

nervous stomach help

This may be a long story, but I think it's good to start from the beginning.  In 10th grade (i'm a freshman in college now) i started having nausea in the mornings before school.   It started a few days earlier when I vomited after eating some sort of fast food. Every morning, without fail, I would wake up feeling sick.  I actually missed around two weeks of school before going back, and most mornings i'd still have problems.  I'd need to use the restroom at school every morning, but after that I'd start feeling better again.  And if I stayed home, the same thing would happen.

In eleventh grade, this started to become too much to handle.  I missed way too much school, and when i did go I would need to use the bathroom several times daily, and I eventually dropped out of school.  Around this time I saw several doctors, most of who seemed to think it wasn't that big of a deal.  One doctor actually made a bigger deal on the fact I was missing school than the fact that I was feeling so terribly.  They had blood tests, stool samples, urine, ultrasound on my stomach region, pretty much everything except an endoscopy done, and I was told that it was IBS and several other things (like my allergies causing mucus to go down my throat into my stomach at night), I was given medication but it didn't help.

Eventually I saw a doctor who seemed more helpful and said that it was possible whatever was in the food that caused me to vomit the first time just kind of stayed inside my body or something while in others it would be flushed out slowly.  That kind of kept me at peace for a while to have a decent answer.

But eventually after getting my GED i went to a local community college, where I did fairly well my first semester, and I missed a few days because of my stomach problems but managed to do decently on tests and passed each class.

This semester however, things got a lot worse.  I've been missing more and more days of school, and even during spring break (which I was on this week) i'd repeatedly get stomachaches and vomit (mostly bile and spit looking stuff, as it started in the morning and didn't really go away).  It's gotten out of hand lately, and i've been throwing up and feeling sick constantly.

I think it's a nervous stomach because it happens when I get worried about things (like school, and doing stuff), and a lot of times it happens when i get nervous ABOUT getting nervous and having a stomachache, haha.  I want to distract myself and focus on something else, but it's so hard because all I can think about is the fact that I feel so terrible.  Even during this break, i've wanted to see my girlfriend a few times but haven't been able to because I've been so worried about seeing her (because I had gotten a stomachache at her house one time before).

Has anyone been through anything like this, and if so, what did you do to solve the problem?  It's really affecting my life in a very negative way, and it's gotten to the point where I would really like to be able to enjoy life instead of constantly feeling worried and nervous.

Any help would be appreciated!  Should I go back to the doctor, or what?

Thanks,

Nick

(i'm sorry if this was hard to read, i know it seems kind of stream-of-consciousness and stuff, but I really just want any sort of help).
Tags: nervous stomach, nausea, help
This has been going on for too long now without a diagnosis. Persoanlly I think you're dealing with far more than a "nervous stomach" and I would strongly recommend you see a gastroenerologist for that endoscopy you never had.
For this to have gotten to the point where you dropped out of school should have sent up a great many red flags.
PLEASE make an appointment with a gastro and get to the bottom of this. If you had been given a definite dx of IBS, you would (or should) be on medication and a special diet. You made mention of neither.
You might also want to swing by the Gastroenterology Forum and check out what those folks have to say, but do see your doctor.
And let us know what they find out, OK?
I wish you the very best
Peace
Greenlydia    
I actually went to a couple gastroenerologists.  One of them said that it was IBS, but I received no medication from that doctor, nor did the other one even mention IBS as a possibility.  I did receive a sheet from the first doctor about a diet for people with IBS that I followed and didn't really help, though.  Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Right now, I'm focusing on seeing if I can "will" myself out of it, to see if it's really me conditioning my body to feel like this when i'm worried or nervous (it actually worked today).  I've been doing stuff like talking to friends and family, which has also helped.

If I don't get any better very soon however, I'm definitely going to visit another gastroenerologist to get re-examined and get all the tests done over including the other tests, since it's been a few years.  This has been a big problem and even though I'm not so high on getting knocked out or sedated to do the endoscopy, I'll definitely do it this time.

Thanks for the response!!!
Vikkhan trying to get better Comment
30 mins ago
Vikkhan joined this community
Welcome them!
34 mins ago
Mood Tracker: August 21, 2015
51 mins ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms