Anxiety Community
overactive mind

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

overactive mind

Hi.  I am a 37 y/o healthy male and take 25mgs of zoloft for GAD.  I have a history of panic attacks and numerous ER visits.  I am also a HUGE hypochondriac.  I have been on numerous ssris and found zoloft to work the best.  I am wondering if anyone else has the problem of an "overactive" mind.  Like you just cant shut down the racing thoughts and seeing things in a constant evaluating way.  I have also just started to increase my zoloft to 37mgs.  I just felt that the 25mgs was not working very well.  I was originally prescribed 150mgs, but I know that is way too much.  I just want to be "normal" again.  I have lost several jobs because of the GAD and have not worked for some time now.  Lately, I have noticed an increase in sweaty hands and feet, overactive mind, irritability, etc.  I have become very inactive rarely leaving the house.  I have a huge amount of stressers right now (moving out of state, finding new job, car in shop for a month, etc.)  I have also seen a therapist, and did not find that very helpful.  I really just want to have some control over my mind again.  I wonder too if I could have some long term effects of alcohol abuse.  I have not drink in over 2 years, but used to drink like a fish everyday.  Maybe I just have no coping skills w/o the alcohol.  Any help???  
have you ever taken a nerve pill, or tryed a different med besides zoloft.  years ago i tryed zoloft and it just did not work for me, i pretty sure i have tryed everything. cymbolta and klonipin (klonopin) did the trick. but am 29 years old and my anxiety started when i was 19 and i was a major hypochondriac myself everyday i thought i was going to die. it was terrible, but like i said the meds im on now im able to work, be social, and not self medicate with other things. klonipin (klonopin) is addictive, but it will let your mind rest...trust me

good luck

lisa
I am not sure what you mean by a nerve pill.  If you are referring to something like xanax, valium, or ativan, then yes.  It was too easy for me to "pre-medicate".  I have also tried prozac and paxil.  All the anxiety came back when I started to ween off paxil several months ago.  When I first started the zoloft, I felt really weird but it helped.  Now that I have increased my dose, I am just feeling out of it.  I am just not sure that the 25mg dose does much good.  Most people are prescribed a minimum of 50mg and go up from there.  My attacks have subsided, but I am just not myself.  Going to the DR right now is not an option so I am going to just ride this out I guess.
slc15 joined this community
Welcome them!
Subject: Medicare (Part A and Part ...
7 hrs ago by gymdandee
Jade59 commented on msdelight's status