Anxiety Community
overcoming my fear of going out post illness

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

I have been quite ill for the past month and am still not recovered. As a result i have felt v sick and this has caused me to pass out on one occasion on the bus and to feel faint at work. I have taken a week off and have barely left the house, and i find myself terrified of going anywhere. I have to go into work one day next week and i don't know how to overcome this fear. I am supposed to be visiting a friend this afternoon in hospital, and i will try to do that, but my question is: are there any strategies that i can use to help me get through it. I'm still feeling quite sick unfortunately, and i'm concentrating on my symptoms in a way that is making them much worse. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Fiona
HI,

Your problem sounds like me when I started to get agoraphobia. I started to avoid all situations that I thought was going to give me a panic attack. If I were to go back in time I would tell myself not to avoid those situations, because they will only get worse and you will only avoid more and more until you are stuck in your house all the time. So my advice to you is not to avoid going out. I know how panic attacks feel, and I know how hard it is to face your fears. But you will only get better if you just keep at it and keep facing them.

Hope that helped
Jordan Malyon
yes i agree witth the last post, it sounds like you have agoraphobia. When i 1st got anixety i didnt leave my house, i was sooo nervous 24.7 but trust me the BEST way to get better is.. 1) DONT think about anything. literaly dont think. dont think at home about any negitvie things and if you go out DONT think. thinking will make it worse. 2) you NEED to get out of the house, even if its to take a short walk around the block. and then try something more llike maybe the store or the gas station. take it in STEPS!! and when you go 2 work next week as i said, DONT THINK and take deep breaths & just learn how 2 talk 2 your self if you feel nervous or sick and say im ok, everything is gunna be fine. blahblah. try it, i think it will work : )

hope this helped.
good lucK & best wishes.
Thank you Jordan and Hollie, I shall try to follow your advice. Greatly appreciated, x.
Jade59 commented on jugglin's status
42 mins ago
lboogie7729 is hanging in there Comment
43 mins ago
Mood Tracker: August 21, 2015
6 hrs ago by char1234vass
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms