Anxiety Community
possible needle exposure?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

possible needle exposure?

The other day I noticed a tear in the skin on my thumb, it was sore and clear fluid came out of it when I squeezed it, not really bleeding, it did bled slightly the next day when it dried and cracked. The trouble is that I can't remember doing it, so I worry that I may have touched a discarded syringe/hollow needle and not really noticed while moving some boxes from a warehouse. I did check the boxes and I didn't see anything sharp, no staples or anything. I wonder if it would be possible to have been injected by something discarded, like an insulin needle? How deep do injections need to go to infect?  what would be my risk factors for HIV infection from a thumb injury of this kind? 0.3% ? Would something like this warrant PEP?  I will test at 12 weeks but would like to be able to function in the meantime.. Thank you!
We have ALL found small cuts, wounds, scraps, hang nails, scratches etc etc on our bodies that we have no memory of when or how they happened.

You had no risk, you do not need to test and for sure you do not need to start PEP.

For further information on your situation, please visit our HIV Prevention Forum.

If your anxiety over this incident continues, I would recommend you seek professional mental help.
I agree.  No need to worry.   It's just your anxiety taking over.  Have u seen a dr. For anxiety?
Thank you guys for taking the time to answer me...;) Being that I live in the Caribbean we are extremely limited when it comes to Dr's and Psychologists here. We have one psych Doc on Island and he has an awful reputation. I have dealt with him and ended up being misdiagnosed and wrongly prescribed. I had to fly to NYC where I managed to get in with a Dr who weened me off the medications that he said I should never have been put on in the first place.. Being that I'm also an athlete it was very hard to take those types of medications and train at the same time. I do my best with my anxiety, I eat well, I sleep well and I exercise daily. It's just HIV got into my head from an early age when my brother died of Aids in 1990. I do worry about risks from cuts that I can't see as I think of the worst case scenario of being stuck with a needle I didn't see and then want to know my risks of such an accurance in order for me to deal with either way. I have been celibate for three years until recently. My gilrfriend and I were both tested and we both still practice safe sex together. I'm not comfortable taking off the condom. One therapist I have seen here wants me to face my fears and also realize Hiv treatment/medications have come a long way since my brother died, and that it's totally manageable. Without disrespecting people who live with it, it still scares the **** out of me. :-/
Mollyrae nothing worse than rainy an... Comment
mishymoshymarcy Your life is as good as you... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on oral presentation
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms