Anxiety Community
post surgery anxiety attacks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

post surgery anxiety attacks

I just had a  nose revision surgery post 10 days and I am experiencing anxiety attacks.
I have had one previous surgery where I had the same experience.
I am desperate!!!
I have uncontrolable heart palpitations.
I don't want to take lorzepram !!
I am thinking of doing a body cleanse detox to flush everything out of my body.
Is this wise?
I typically do not suffer from anxiety, except after post surgery, WHY?!?!
Is this typical ?
Also, I am out of breath alot.
before surgery, I worked out regularly, felt like a rock, and now I can't walk to the bathroom and be out of breathe and my heart pounding uncontrollably.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, HELP !!!!!
This is crazy!  10 years ago I had my gall bladder removed and shook for a month.  That's when I started on Paxil.  Was great for 10 years then this summmer had a bladder infection that lasted 9 weeks and sent me into a tailspin again.  Now I have been on Effexor and hate it.  But both experiences have done this to me.  I just wonder whate does happen to us.  Nana
Two weeks ago I had surgery to have my tonsils removed as well as two other surgeries on my sinuses.  I just want you to know I am going through something similar.  
I have been having constant thoughts of death ever since, and anxiety attacks many times a day. I have a history of mild anxiety, but always in response to some stimulus (fight with a boyfriend, bad day at work, etc).  This differs because it is all completely irrational, unpredictable, and out of my control.  My attacks are much more severe.  I break out in a sweat, cry uncontrollably, and get stomach cramps.  I didn't tell anyone for the first 10 days because I thought I was crazy and hoped it would go away on its own.  
I just started taking Xanax temporarily.  My doctor says that either the trauma from surgery, the anesthesia, the pain itself, the narcotics to treat the pain, or a combination of all those things can cause anxiety.  She says Xanax is not meant to be taken long term and is hoping it will help me get through the next week or so.  (Now that I'm off all the other meds)  If it is still not better, I am going to try a maintenance (daily) medication for awhile.  
Surgery and medication can throw off your central nervous system and affect your hormones, so we may be experiencing something similiar to post-pardom anxiety/depression.  Don't be afraid to take the medication!  It is worth a try if it will help you feel better.  It doesn't make you weak. This is a medical issue just like if you had to take a pill because your heart wasn't working correctly.  
I'm all for natural methods as well.  Eating lots of healthy fruits and vegetables, and getting exercise.  I would talk to your doctor before trying a detox though.  Are you somewhere warm?  I want to go for a walk so badly, but it was 14 BELOW zero here yesterday!  
I'm starting to think that post-surgery anxiety is not uncommon, but just doesn't get talked about as much as it should.  Just remember that you're not alone, this doesn't have to last forever, and you're not crazy!  Sometimes it helps me to tell myself that I'm feeling this way because I "have a short in my electrical system."  
Good luck to you - let me know how it goes and if anything you try is successful.  If I find something that works for me, I will post it here.  

Hang in there!  -CP
I did some more research, and I'm finding some information that says acupuncture and massage can be helpful.  I had a rotator cuff injury during my softball days, and acupuncture was the only thing that helped, so I know it at least has the potential to help.

I considered myself a very happy person before all this started, so I'm hoping if I get my "ying and yang" back in balance, I will feel as I did before.  My appointment is tomorrow afternoon - I will let you know if it helps!
mishymoshymarcy Head in the books Marcy. Do... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
lulu747 commented on 8 months off Subutex ...