Anxiety Community
prozac

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

prozac

Recently put on Prozac for anxiety/depression.  I am 64 yrs old.  My doctor wanted to try Effexor.  I told her years ago I was on Prozac during counseling for depression in a bad marriage and weaned myself off after a year.  Have done fine for awhile until  now.  I started caring for a brother who is waiting for a kidney/liver transplant.  I read where Prozac might not be good for anxiety that it may cause anxiety?  Also I read where there are other medications better for someone my age.  I read if you are 65 or older there are better medications for our age group?  I don't know a thing about Effexor and trust prozac since I was on it once before in the past.  Not sure what to think?
Tags: prozac
If you had success with Prozac before, chances are you will again.  I'm 62 and was just switched from Celexa to Prozac.  But we can build up a tolerance to these types of medications and often switching to a new one is best.  I haven't heard anything about there being a medication better for us older folks, but maybe someone can jump on here and enlighten both of us.  Effexor is widely used with great success but it still comes back to what will work best for each of us individually.  I wish you and your brother all the best.

I am 49 and have been on prozac in the past.  It
worked really well for me for many years until
I switched to generic Zoloft.  I did have some
anxiety when I first started the prozac but once
it was in my system for awhile it actually started
helping both my depression and anxiety.  For
most people (according to my pdoc) the side
effects usually go away within a few weeks.  

I hope you find relief soon,

best wishes,
starr363
I was on effexor for awhile and felt like a robot - too much emotion is one tthing...no emotion is another problem - what is better depends on how much pain  you are in.  I decided to try a medication where I was not so controlled.  Right now I am off of pristiq and abilify and with only Wellbutrin and Klonoplin I am adding viibryd. So far I feel worse for the wear with the nausea and all but don't want to give up just yet ( only the first week).  If this does not work I will try just the Wellbutrin.
I never had anxiety till I started taking Prozac, Im taking Prozac for severe depression but ever since being on it anxiety has been my major problem, I can't go a day without a panic attack or feeling sick due to anxiety, I'm throwing up from anxiety at least once a week and I'm constantly trembling and shaking and having paranoid thoughts. Prozac destroyed more than it fixed for me.
Jade59 commented on photo
ChitChatNine . Comment
MH Community Mgr uploaded new photos
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms