psychologist or psychiatrist?
hey guys, I am currently looking for a therapist in the NYC area for my anxiety/panic attacks. now this panic/anxiety disorder gives me a lot of physical symptoms and the panic attacks come completely out of the blue. I know CBT is the way to go, but should I go the psychiatrist route? or the psychologist route? I know the main differences, and i think both have their pros and cons concerning therapy. have any of you had either success or failure with either of the two? thanks in advance
I think seeing the psychiatrist, who will usually recommend therapy (psychologist) is the way to go.  Many, if not most, offices offer one on one as well as group therapy.

Usually a combination is what works...meds are the base ...with therapy giving you insight and ways of coping.

The first step when confronting an anxiety disorder is to be prescribed an appropriate medication.  I believe it saves  time and aggro to do this.  Otherwise you will run from doc to doc trying to figure out what is wrong (the massive number of physical symptoms anxiety can produce)...with no relief..

Best wishes....
Most psychiatrists nowadays focus on the medication, while the psychologist does the therapy. You would typically see your psychiatrist a couple times per year (possibly more often at the start if necessary) for medication maintenance, and your psychologist more frequently for CBT.

If you're looking to be medicated - pick up a psychiatrist
If you're looking to do CBT - pick up a psychologist
If you want both medication and therapy, you'll do best to pick up both a psychiatrist and a psychologist, rather than trying to find a psychiatrist still offering to do both.
thanks guys-
yeah, I have received Laxapro from my primary care physician (which i didnt start taking yet due to the fact that i want to be evaluated by a therapist first), so since I have those meds, i think I'm going to start off with the psychologist.
can i get any benifits for anxerty