red blotchy chest/neck rash
Just wondering if anyone has a 'miracle cure'!!  For a few years now, I've been getting a red blotchy chest/neck rash in circumstances where I - am drinking alcohol, anxious, nervous, excited, upset - really feeling just about any emotion.  It's gotten to the point where I do not expose my chest/neck ever - and cover up whenever I can.  I had read once that taking Niacinimide could help - and I've been taking about 1000mg of it for a few months, but am not seeing much improvement.  Anyone with any help or suggestions I would REALLY appreciate it.  
i don't have a miracle cure, but i suffer from depression and i have panic attacks..i have discovered that because of my anxiety i feel itchy and get rashes around my neck chest, and if my anxiety is really bad every where else..all i can suggest is numerous baths. it doesn't rid the itchy feeling but it calms the feeling at least for a while.
I've had the same thing happening to me for the past couple of years and it seems to get worse over time. I've been taking 500mg of niacinamide and 750mg of GABA twice a day and it definitely helps some.

I'd check out this site if you haven't already: https://community.vhi.ie/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/615103/m/7921097/p/1

I hope you find something helpful there.
Hi there,
I have been a chronic flusher for years. I get a red blotchy anxiety rash on my neck & chest area when nervous or anxious. I have tried many vitamins & herbs to help this & nothing has really stopped the rash completely except beta blockers.

Good luck!  
The problem you have is something that my sister, my daughter, and I all have in common.  It is an annoyance but nothing much to really worry about.  Honestly, there are many people who have this problem and if your skin is as light as mine, unfortunately it is far more noticeable.  The only thing I can tell you is, if you know when it will show up then wear a turtle neck that day.  My daughter has to do presentations with the type of job she has and that is what she does and just laughs it off if someone mentions it.  It's kind of like having "white coat syndrome"  except it shows up in your neck and chest.  I don't mean to make light of this but, if you can make fun of yourself about this if someone mentions it, it really makes it a lot easier and you may find that it may not happen as often.    
What beta blockers did you try? Do you have to take them daily?? I'm definately to that point.  Also - just curious - if anyone noticed it better or worse dependant on weight gain or loss?? I've recently gained about 15 lbs and the rash is far worse than ever before.
I would also recommend checking out the dermatology forum. Ask the medical doctor who is the expert overseeing it.

Additionally, I'd ask my dermatologist for help on this, too.
Hope you can find some relief...
Hi, I too get that annoying red nervous rash all over my chest and neck. It's very embarrassing. I am a corporate trainer and I love my job, but getting up and talking in front of people on an almost daily biases gives my nerves a workout. I have only had this horrible anxious rash for 4 years, ever since I graduated college and entered the work force. I have found that tanning helps, I am somewhat fair skinned and having a tan you are unable to see the redness. I recently got married in Mexico where I was quite tan and knew that the wedding day and reception that we had back home would send me into waves of splotches, because I was so tan I didn’t get splotchy once.

Caffeine, Alcohol, any emotion, or stress brings it out in me. There are some posts on here saying to just except it and move on, well that’s easier said than done : ) I am going to the doctor Monday again to talk to him about what it is, he told me to start taking Zyrtec the allergy medicine and give it a couple months to see how I responded to that and I have to say it helped a little, I didn’t get quite as red as long. I have done some research and have found some positive things being said about Cetapres patch. I don’t know if he’ll prescribe it to me or just say that it’s a social anxiety and there really isn’t anything to do.

It is comforting though knowing I’m not alone. My heart breaks for all of you, I know what its like. I wear a turtle neck every time I have to do a training, it’s so embarrassing to wear sleeveless turtle necks in the dead heat of summer!!

Take care
Please write back and let me know what your dr said!!
I have dealt with this since high school - after doing some research, I starrted 60mg of propranolol ER (beta blocker) and it REALLY MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.  I don't have high blood pressure either and my doctor was not concerned about giving me the medication and there are very little side effects - no weight gian issues, etc.  Give it a shot!
So, with the beta blockers - do you still have the rash at all, or is it completely gone?? I have a Drs. Appt in July....
Apple cider vinegar, may not cure it but really soothes it.Lot of Natural cures out there. Dry Oatmeal I hear also but I havent tried that one.
The first thing I pictured when I read your post was my aunt....she could have 2 mouthfuls of wine...and she's super blotchy all over her neck and chest.  She said it is also like that when she is ever anxious...and very hot.

I have heard that beta blockers CAN help...but just by basically suppressing the anxious response...just as if you would take it for the anxiety factor before delivering a speech, etc.

I would think it may be worth running by your doctor.  Hope you get some relief!  At least ONE reassuring thing...you know it won't harm you...it is only a cosmetic thing.  Just something that makes YOU more unique.  Just like how I HATE my bazillion freckles....they are part of ME.

(You aint buying this are you?)  LOL  ;0)

Good luck!
Honestly, I've read all the responses on this and I have some concerns about using medication for this problem.  As I have mentioned in a past post, all the women in my family have this problem.  My daughter is the worst.  When I was her age mine was as bad as hers, the same with my sister.  If you go the beta blocker route, then just use it on the days that you have to do a presentation or you know that you will have the blotches.   I would not recommend a beta blocker just because you have a drink and you break out in blotches.  After a couple of drinks, it goes away, generally or so my daughter tells me.  If your anxiety is such that you have this problem all the time and it is related to anxiety and not an alcoholic drink, then by all means, consider a beta blocker but if it is just a rash that comes and goes when you go out for a drink or get excited, think it through really carefully.  Beta blockers are commonly used for those who do public speaking or perform and they are taken on an as needed basis for these people because of the anxiety that situation provokes, but if it is just a rash and not debilitating anxiety, my first thoughts would be to cover up and take courses on public speaking through Toastmasters or something like that.  My daughter did this and it has help.  It's like CBT, it can't hurt and it might make you a much better public speaker.
Thanks for your concern and comments - but I never said anything about public speaking. The rash happens to me when I talk to anyone!  Around my own family I get the rash.  It just is worse with alcohol - but it doesn't bother me as much then, because I can blame it on the alcohol.... it's the talking with friends or at work, when I break out in a rash that I am sick of.  It's every day, and it's always on my mind.  I have changed my entire wardrobe to accomodate it, and now with it being summer, am terrified of what I am going to do to cover it.  It consumes my life and that is why I am considering the beta blockers.
Nurseam, if you feel that this is consuming your life, then by all means, try the beta blocker.  My comments about public speaking were meant for Buckley who is a Corporate Trainer.

Buckley, if your doctor tells you it is "just" social anxiety and there is no treatment for it, I'll be surprised.  It is common practice to  use CBT for social anxiety and alternatively or sometimes in conjunction with CBT, a long acting benzo is something to be considered.  The short acting benzos are good too if ONLY  used on an occasional basis for when you need to do public speaking or for other people who perform.  It is common practice for these people to take a beta blocker and/or a benzo only as needed in these cases.

When I posted before it was for All not just for nurseam and I apologize for the misinterpretation.
I too have been dealing with this for years, ever since I had my first child who is 21.  I have looked at a bunch of different forums but they are always old so I am never able to commuicate with anyone else that has this problem. I too have to wear turtlenecks all year long.  Talk about feeling foolish, but I feel even more foolish when I am speaking with a client about a million dollar deal and they can see my nevousness.  How much confidence would they have in me.  My coworkers have never asked about my turtlenecks but I'm sure they are curious.  It's just an embarassing problem to have.  I have tried the beta blocker and antihistimines (sp?) and they really have not helped at all.  I have tried counseling because when I think about it, it seems to get worse, but no matter how much breathing I do to try and calm myself I can't keep it from happening.  I used to think it was a mental issue, but you would think that since I am covered up now, it would not happen because now I don't care if it does or not, since no one can see, but that is not the case.  

I read on one blog about using Preperation H on your skin when you think it's going to happen (maybe you know ahead of time you'll be in a situation that will cause a flare up) I have tried this too, but not much help.  I guess you can tell how desperate I am.  By the way I am on anxiety meds, which does help my general anxiety but has not gotten rid of this problem.

Unfortunately I think until there is a med that can help this specif problem, we are stuck trying to cover it up with clothes and tanning.  
I am wondering if there is a correlation with it and my weight... I first noticed it when I was in an uncomfortable situation following a ?10-15lb weight gain.  Of course, it was not something that I realized, but looking back have noticed that this is around the time I first noticed it.  I recently have lost about 7lbs (so I am still more than I was before I noticed), but seem to notice the rash has improved - but that might also have to do with the GABA and Niacinamide supplements that I am on.....

Just curious if you or anyone else on here has realized a possible similar correlation???
Alcohol can be a contributing factor to your flushing.  A certain population of people posess a trait leaving them sensitive to alcohol.  It is called an alcohol flush reaction.  This is caused by a normal enzyme (acetaldehyde dehydrogenase) which is primarily responsible for breaking down the bi-product of alcohol ( acetaldehyde).   Flushing, or blushing, is associated with the erythema (reddening caused by dilation of capillaries) of the face, neck, and shoulder, after consumption of alcohol.

There is some evidence that by ingesting Ranitidine (such as Zantac) prior to usage, you can bi-pass this metabolic pathway.  

Flushing can be caused by many factors listed below.  Have you tried cutting out the alcohol to determine if it may be the cause?  Let me know if this helps.  

Cheers!

Sexual arousal (see section to follow)
Emotions: anger, embarrassment
An abrupt cessation of physical exertion (resulting in heart output in excess of current muscular need for blood flow)
Physiological response to vasodilators — for instance, a recent high dose of niacin, nitroglycerine, calcium channel blockers, or any drug that causes release of adrenal hormones that raise blood pressure such as stimulants
Post-menopausal decrease in estrogen production
Anaphylaxis
Neuroendocrine tumors: carcinoid syndrome, pheochromocytoma, VIPoma, thyroid medullary carcinoma
Mast cell tumor: mastocytosis
Various psychedelics or other drugs, such as 3-Quiniclidinyl Benzilate(BZ) or Alcohol
Dehydration
Anxiety
Limerence
Heat
Topical Retinoids
apologize....previous post correction.....

this is due to a missense polymorphism that encodes the enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) or in otherwords an enzyme that is not capable of breaking down the bi-product of alcohol ( acetaldehyde).  Normally, alcohol or ethanol is eventually converted to acetic acid (vinegar) through a series of reactions, but in some people this becomes a problem.  This leaves the bi-product acetaldehyde in their system creating many symptoms discussed in the previous comment.
I don't know if has to do with weight gain.  I did gain quite a bit of weight with my pregnancy, but I lost it all pretty quickly (since I was only 21)  I have since had another child and lost all of my weight after her as well.  It does not seem to matter if I'm heavier or not.  I almost wonder if its a hormone thing, since I never had this before I was pregnant.  

I know to some it seems like you should be able to just laugh it off or act like it doesn't bother you, but I know its not possible, I know the fear that is associated with this. It may not seem like a big deal to others, but it's a big deal when it's happening to you.  I pray daily for something to come along and help.  Did you say you are going to the doctor?  Let us know what the outcome is.  I would jump for joy if I could get rid of this or even calm it down a bit.

I have this same problem.  I'm a teacher and have to run meetings and it's the hardest thing to do.  I'm constantly wearing turtlenecks but then my cheeks get very red as well so people know that I'm nervous no matter what I wear.  

I was wondering if anyone knew about surgery that you can receive for this.  I'm truly at the point where it is taking over my life and I can't take it anymore!

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Sarah
Have you tried the beta-blockers?? I haven't myself, but have heard mixed reviews...
Sarah, I am in the same situation as you. I have actually been dealing with this for over 10 years now. It seems that the older I get the more blotchy I get, because I've advanced in my career and tend to do a lot of face to face million dollar negotiations with my job. It really ***** trying to negotiate or present and just feel the hot, itchy mess coming on. I would be extremely interested in hearing if anyone has had surgery for this and what the outcome was.
I have been experiencing the same thing for the past 3 years or so (since my 1st pregnancy)...I bought every color turtle neck that I could find.  I am so embarrassed that my husband doesnt even know that I am dealing with it.  I finally got up the nerve to go to my dermatologist about it - she put me on a beta blocker and it works GREAT!!  The only thing is that is makes me feel so tired and run down.  I personally would rather feel like that than have to worry about turtlenecks/make up/embarrasement.  I take 10mg everyday...if I know I am going to be in a stressful situation I will take 20mg that day...I hosted a baby shower recently (this was my test) and I wore a low cut shirt and talked in front of a group of people.  I ran to the bathroom and NOTHING!!  It was one of the most wonderful feelings!  
It's is really interesting reading everyones comments.  All of the things that are talked about are things I have gone thru too.  I really wonder if this is due to some type of hormonal imbalance.  Mine also started right after a pregnancy.  

I am mortified that this happens to me.  No one knows, not my friends, my husband, my kids.  I too deal with large deals in my job and its hard to remain credible when you look like your a nervous wreck. I HATE IT.  It's such a burden and most of the time I can deal with it, but I'm so tired of it.  I have tried Beta Blockers with no success.  I have heard of the surgery, but no one in my part of the country does it.  I doubt insurance would cover it, so I would not be able to afford it on my own.  I have heard that people who have the surgery sweat a lot.............not sure which is worse  
I'm not sure if it's a hormonal balance or not. I do not have any kids and have been dealing with this. It really stinks because I speak well in front of a group and I have a lot of credibility when I speak; however, once I start getting blotchy, which I just can't control for nothing, I go downhill from there. I feel like everyone is staring at me and obviously know I'm nervous / anxious, which makes me even more nervous / anxious. Not to mention that I start feeling extremely hot and itchy! I'm just not sure where to go from here. I feel miserable and could probably much further in my career if I didn't have to deal with this.
Greetings from down under :)

Im 16 and have had this rash for a year now. I never had it up until i started a job after school and on weekends in a store. I havnt met anyone as young as me who has the rash except for a girl 2 years older than me that has left my school but i never got to talk to her about it. I have terribly pale skin which doesnt help when i get this rash. I read on a website quite a while back that exercise helps. My family has bought a treadmill so i have been on that up to half an hour everyday. I recently attended my school ball on Jul 19 and was extremely nervous.

My dress was strapless so i was terrified of wearing it to my ball. My mum helped me put tan on in advance so i was a lovely golden colour. After the pre dinner drinks i felt hot but alright but i looked down and saw my rash appearing. Nobody had commented on it yet which i thought was strange.

Not even my friends know about my rash because i have kept it hidden for so long. I asked one of my closest friends to come to the bathroom and she helped me apply powder to my redness, but i must say since i have been exercising, the redness didn't show up as much as i thought it would. I was so shattered about getting my rash on ball night. My redness shows up on my chest, neck, along my collar bone, down both my arms and my back. But on the night it was only on my arms my shoulders and maybe the size of a tennis ball on my chest.

After i got the powder on i went out of the bathroom still feeling shattered and very self conscious but it went away. After dancing for 5 hours straight and getting very hot the rash didn't appear which i found weird.

It all comes down to anxiety which im guessing is based on an eating disorder i had when i was 13 feeling sick 24/7 and not eating properly for a year all because i was afraid i was going to vomit but the rash didnt appear until i was 15.

It drives me crazy having to apply foundation bronzer all the time when i got out and i cant wear singlets and shirts that show my neck during the summer. My mum isnt very helpful with the matter she says I'll grow out of it when deep down i know i won't.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried using antihistamines??  I believe that this problem is more than an "allergy", but it might be worth a try.  Thoughts anyone??
Hi - I tried Benadryl but it never worked and made me sooo sleepy.  Maybe it would work for someone else though....  My dermatologist also recommended cutting out caffiene completely - which is really hard for me to do with 2 small kids! :)  
Hello.  I have also suffered from the dreaded blotches for many years now.  Any type of emotion, such as being nervous, excited and mad causes my chest, neck, back and upper arms to break out in red blotches.  Also, eating spicy foods or extreme heat makes them appear.  I know exactly when I have the red blotches, because I immediately get this hot feeling.  After trying many things such as makeup and herbal medicine, I finally decide to go to the doctors.  He was very understanding and prescribed me the beta blocker nadolol.  I started out on 10mg a day and went up to 20 mg a day.  I did see a major improvement, but I felt terrible.  I was always tired, dizzy and nauseous.  I tried the medicine for a couple of months to see if I just needed to get used to it.  It did not get any better, so I went back to the doctors.  I read online that some people have had success with inderal.  I asked the doctor about it, and he said that I may feel better with this medicine, or I could have the same results.  I have been on inderal (la 60 mg 24 hour release) for about a week now.  So far, I do not have any of the side effects that I experienced with the other medicine.  I have not had one episode of blotches yet.  I usually get the blotches at least once a day, so not having them for a week is a miracle!  I have gotten that hot feeling, but when I check myself out in the mirror, there are no blotches/or redness of any kind!  I am going to be in a friends wedding at the end of August, so that will be my big test.  I really don't like depending on medicine, but at this point I am desperate.
just an update
did a presentation for my History class today with success :)
i usually wear my school scarf while doing a presentation and did today
i could practically hear my heart beating a thousand miles an hour
but after my speech i sat down and took off my scarf and my neck was blotchy free!
i exercised last night to get rid of my excess adrenaline..and it must have worked, so get exercising!

oh by the way, it has nothing to do with your weight or being obese, im a healthy weight for a teenage girl and i get these blotches.
I made a mistake in my other post.  The Beta Blocker that I am currently taking is 60mg of propranolol ER(extended release).  Inderal is the brand name which is more expensive.  So far, the medicine is definitely working!
i have had the same problem now for years...it started when i first started a certain medication, but even though i stopped the medicine , the skin condition still exists....whats worrying me is that the splotches are always in the same place, literally you could draw a line around the spots with a marker and wait till the next breakout and the redness is in the exact same place...i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem...

april
I too have been getting this rash for many years when slightly anxious and when I start drinking alcohol. It seems to go away after it's been present for a little while...usually once I forget about it. The rash is worse at certain times of the month - particularly just before a period. My sister gets it too. I wonder if it's a symptom of pms as I get this a week to a day before a period.

Just came across this,
"Another change in the body when you are premenstrual, is an increase in hormones called prostaglandins. These hormones are directly related to inflammation processes within the body." http://www.femail.com.au/pms.htm The link also contains tips on diet and exercise.

Omega 3 fish oil may assist too. http://www.stanford.edu/group/hopes/treatmts/antinflm/i5.html

Can't hurt to try.

Kel

my blotches are also pretty much in the same position every time
whenever i have a hot shower the only parts of my body that turn red from the heat are those exact patches and when the rash occurs in public its the same position
maybe theyre main blood cell or something..?
One more thing my dermatologist recommended, she said to take 2ea 350mg aspirin a day along with the inderal....just in case anyone wants to try it.  This beta blocker has truly changed my life!  
Have you strictly been going to the Dermatologist for this medication (Beta Blocker)?
Beta Blockers are medication for heart conditions (usually hypertension or high blood pressure)  - usually prescribed by your Family Doc.
No, I had been going once a year for a normal cancer screening, and she noticed it one day and I finally talked about it for the first time ever with a Dr.  She was great about it - and she prescribed the beta blocker, not my family dr.  I went back 6 weeks after she first prescribed it and although it helped out tremendously I was still a little blotchy.  That is when she recommended the aspirin and staying away from caffiene.  I will got back in 6 more weeks to see her again.  She said if it doesnt work, there are tests they can do or other things to put me on.  I personally dont care what the medication is for, this condition has controlled my life for too long, and as long as the only side effect I am experiencing is tiredness, then I am ok with that.  I am also on a VERY low dosage.  If this is taking over your life like it did mine, then I would definitely recommend seeing a Dermatologist.  Hope this helps! :)
Yesterday I went to the dentist because I have been experiencing pain since having a novocain injection last week.  He filed my new fillings, thinking that might help, and I was very anxious while he worked as the pain increased.  Then he asked me about the rash I had.  I told him I didn't have a rash, just pain.  He gave me a mirror, and I had very dark red patches at my collar bone and downward.  He told me it was erythema from being nervous or scared.  He told me if I had any nerve pills to take one when I got home and to rest.

I left and got in the car with my husband and told him about the rash.  He looked at me sideways and said he's seen that flush on me before and wanted to know just what the doctor was doing.
Hi All,
I have the same problem. I have had it for the past 10 years. I recently went to my dermatologist for help with this problem and he told me that he could not perscribe me anything b/c it is not a skin problem. I really would like to do something about these blotches I can't take it anymore and they are only getting worse. Does anyone know any doctor's in NYC that would be able to help me with this?
I am so relieved to hear that I am not alone with this anxiety driven rash.  I kept thinking I was getting strep, but I look back and can see that these flareups occurred when I was extremely stressed.  However, my flare ups are occuring more frequently than they used to.  My wake up call came tonight.  I have been teaching for 17 years and we had open house tonight.  My coworker noticed my bright red rash after the first 30 minutes.  Although I didn't feel stressed, the social anxiety had to have brought it on.  I am definitely taking my concerns to the doctor.  Thanks for all of the informative posts!  I'm sorry anyone else has to go through this, but I feel so much better knowing I'm not crazy!
i am 16 years old and male and for the past 5 years ive always had a red complexion which my dermatologist said was keratosis pilarsis. but starting from last year i have been getting red blotches running down my face to my neck to my chest which adds to the redness on my cheeks and also on my body. my dermatologist reccomended me to have laser surgery which i went for a consultation and found it was very expensive so he then arranged an appoinment with a camouflage cream specilist. it did cover up the redness however being a male i do not want to apply it on everyday. so i am just wondering would beta blockers be suitable for me? being my age and would it help stop the red flushing as i have noticed alchol does trigger it and also nerves which seems to be getting worse as i am always thinkning whether the rash will appear or not thanks.

I am a female and have dealt with this personally for a long time.  I believe in the most natural route possible.  The rash used to be so bad that I got deep red blotches on my chest on the way to work.  The combo that has worked best for me is no caffeine or chocolate on days that I am social, 3 pharmaceutical fish oil pills in the morning, 200 mg high quality magnesium twice daily, and one 300mg kira st john's wort in the morning.  My rash has become almost obsolete for day to day socializing. If I have a "performance" situation - i.e. interview, doctors' appt, or terribly stress provoking situation, I take 1/4 to 1/2 of a gaba relaxer by country life about 1.5 hours prior (the 1/2 makes me too drowsy in the morning with the other items - but I can handle it in the afternoon).  If you take the gaba relaxer, try it at home first.  There is a wonderful website called "doctor yourself" which covers nutritional deficits that probably most everyone on this board has.  Other things I take which may help more than I know include my women's multivitamin, and high doses of vitamin c (vitamin c counteracts adrenaline, which causes the rash).  Do your research on medication/supplement interactions before you take the advice of anyone on this board (ie fish oil thins the blood).  I have researched this like crazy and am happy that I don't have to go on beta blockers. Diet is huge too - high sugar diets encourage much more adrenaline release.    I have become much more social due to these supplements and this stupid problem is no longer in the forefront of my mind!  It actually has become a blessing in disguise due to how I've cleaned up my diet and become a healthier person.  I came across this out of curiousity of whether fish oil had helped anyone else's rash.  By the way, I've tried just the plain gaba and niacinamide and this other combo has worked for me far better.
this could be a dumb question, but could this rash we get be a kind of hives?
Hi everyone!I too have suffered from this since the age of twelve but it only really got worse since working fulltime and having too deal with new people now it just happens all the time even though i don t work ,I am a fulltime mum and because i only see fammillar people who come to see me in my own home ,I still get it ........?I am really pissed off and LOL i am addicted to highneck tops and make up.These help me to get through the day if i wear these it is less on my mind and therefore it rearly makes it way up to the face area but still on chess and neck.I have tried cbt didn t work.I wear truecover makeup everyday and maxfactor  powder on top and this is workin for me i use a darker shade than my skin colour so the redness is less noticeable.But Now i have found out about these tanning injections that make you tan and i am goin to try this as i know someone who is takin these and she looks like she been away on holiday .I know this would not stop the rash but it would darkin my skin and mybe i won t have to wear so much make up and i always feel great with a tan .So am i mad to try this?before i order has anyone tried this for this purpose?
Ok, my rash also appears in most situations where I am interacting with someone I am not particularly close to. I don't get it with partner or family but pretty much anyone else and its worse when its at the forefront of my mind because I am already uncomfortable and distracted from the situation, which causes the anxiety.

I don't see old friends much because one pointed it out once and I can't face them knowing that it will always appear now. I have only told one friend and I don't get it with her now because I don't care if she sees it (strange ha?) I think we worry that we will lose people we care about because its so 'weird'. But would you stop seeing someone if they told you they are anxious all the time? No. If they do stop seeing you, they aren't worth your time anyway.

I have been on inderal 10mg once a day for about half a year, it hasn't helped at all. I don't know if a higher dosage will help. I also take fish oil and multi-v.

Covering up seems to be the only thing that makes me comfortable enough to forget about it, but summer is going to prove difficult. When I drink it flares up of course, but its not from the alcohol itself, its from the adrenaline caused by the alcohol.

I have noticed that most of us have some sort of work or school position that stresses us out at times, and it has only occured since a stressor has set it off. For me - leaving home and starting my life, for some - a baby, for others - a million dollar deal. I am a graphic designer and talk to clients all the time. I button my work shirt up to the top every day and I'm sure my boss wonders why.

I also developed a problem where I feel anxious when I eat and I started getting this rash when that first happened. I don't like to eat a lot particularly out of the house because I think I feel sick and nauseous, even though I know its all in my head. I love food and hate this problem with a passion. These things combined are ruining my life, and I still put myself in uncomfortable situations because I dont want to ruin my partner's life as well.

I think the only cure is to tell everyone. Then you wont care if they see. But actually doing that is very difficult indeed.
I have the same promblems as you:(:( .I have told lots of people and it has not helped ,I am more paronoid now ,not around close family but everyone else because i think there looking at my neck or avoid looking at me because they want to see this rash and this makes me feel like a freak .Now because of that and orther reasons ,i try to hide behind polonecks etc now this is makin me paronid because i think they all know why i wear these tops and i think they are sayin "she is always in those kind of tops because of her red blochy rash ".I won't do lots of things because ot it and i wish i didn t say it to most people because i feel infearior to them and some people like to tell u when u already know which i think it makes them better than me cause they see me as weaker than them .I hated work because of these reasons and feel sick when i think of the day i have to return back to work......it is ruinning my life and some people will say thats stupid .........all because of a rash that comes and gos whenever it whats to ...Thinkin of you all.........B
I've been doing some research on adrenaline production - and have stumbled across the suggestion of a hypoglycemic diet - I think I'm going to start to decrease my sugar intake and see what happens. I have continued to have nasty bouts of the rash - despite the GABA and Niacinimide - so am looking for something new.  I also finally got a Drs appt for next week and am hoping to possibly get some answers.

I'm interested in whats working for everyone - Please keep us updated!
can i just say how happy i am to find this forum!!! I have had this problem for atleast 10 years, and i feel like it runs my life. This stupid rash occurs at anytime, and always starts on my chest and works it way up to my neck and face, it makes me extremley hot. i will also get it if i drink, work out, or in hot weather. I have very very VERY fair skin, so when i get even slightly red...its RED. I have notcied that it will occur when im more nervous, but it has also occured in happy, sad, exciting situations. i will get it around people i have known for years, or strangers. i didnt think anyone else out there had the same problem...and its a huge sigh of relief, to know that im not alone.
wow, glad im not alone. I have had this rash for about 5 years now. I am engaged and scared for my life hw blotchy i will be on my wedding day. The only thing i have tried in the past was tanning, which helped alot!!! but now im suffering from the consequences and have to have precancerrous moles removed surgically. I am def going to my docotor and asking about beta blockers!
I am so sorry to hear about these moles and hope u are well.I also think a tan is rhe best option but i don't like the sunbeds so i have been thinking about these tanning injections have u heard off this?does anyone know anyone taking these?would be interested if it works...
Its nerves..I get it when my anxiety hits...When I'm angry or emotional..Just breath..everything will be ok..
Ok i've had this blotchy red rash since last year (Im 16 now and in high school) i absolutely HATE it. its caused me so many problems, i have social anxiety because of it and had to go to therapy. But the doctor says that its social anxiety, the thing is that if i didnt get all blotchy..then there would be NO problem!!

im looking for ANY cure at all, im a little scared about asking my mum for beta blockers as i think she might say i should just go back to the therapist coz she thought that worked (it didnt actually i just pretended i was fine so i didnt have to go there!) anyway, im not sure if i have any tips for you people suffering like me all i do to make it go away is put my hands on my face or a nice cold breeze usually makes it go away! if only i had a fan on me while doing a class talk!!!

OMG! Yes, like you folks, I have had this ever since I had to give my first book report in front of the class at school! HORRIBLE! Dating can suck too!! Ugh! Don't get me started! AND YES! It is just THIS that makes me self concious NOT the situation, Doctor! I have been there done that too! I was on many different anti-anxiety and anti-depression meds, niether of which helped except cost money and create a dependancy that is hard to ween yourself off of!

I have the triple whammy! I am, like many of you, very fair skinned (damn Irish blood) and have had both the full on facial blush and the RED HOT splotchy neck and chest rash too!! (really too separate issues, I found).

OK, so about two years ago I had the surgery to sever the 'sympathetic' nerves. Yeah, you have to go under and they deflate both your lungs and then snip snip the nerves on each side of your upper chest. Damn it hurt the evening after! I felt like a boxer did 10 rounds on each side of my rib cage!!

SO the result was good! Though it solved only one issue initially. The full face blush.

The red splotchy neck still can happen, however with much less frequency because there just isn't as much heat in my face to start the chain reaction.
ALSO THE ZONE DIET has REALLY helped! Cutting out a bunch of sugar. AND NO CAFFINE AT ALL! Balancing your hormones makes you fell awesome too! It takes some planning, but it's WAY WORTH IT!

I still get the tingle of the nervousness at times. Each day I also put a bit of tattoo cover up make up on my neck (because I am face to face with people in a professional enviornment all day). This helps me feel better than even if I did have a 'full blown' attack of neck splotchiness and heat, I would feel that it wouldn't be able to really be seen as much anyway....

I am 33 now and just feel like you have to do what works for you! I spent $6500 on the surgery-out of pocket! And I would do it again. Also, and added benefit was it stopped me from sweating from my face! Yay! My glasses don't fall off my face when I am working in the yard-better yet, I don't wipe my forehead over and over again at work!  If you have this; you know how it consumes your thoughts everyday-can make you dread every social event or interaction-hold you back from achieving your dreams-keep you locked inside your own head-from expressing your feelings-hiding from people-running into the bathroom to look and your neck and/or face and wait there until it goes away, if it ever does! IT"S AWFUL!!!

So all, I can say is do what you can and DON"T let it control YOU! Take charge of it! I don't like it! In fact I HATE it! But I accept that I have to be different and do some funny things to make me more comfortable and to help me try to live my life...

I will commit to you all now to continue to share anything I find, or use that will continue success for me and for us all. In fact, we all owe that to each other. Maybe we have a crazy gene or something...Maybe it means we are going to live to be 100++ Who knows! I just stopped accepting that I have to lock myself up and let this control my life!!
its amazing how many people sturggle from this...but the doctors just ignore it!! sometimes i just imagine how my life would be if i didnt get the rash. i would feel like i could do anything!!

im moving to new zealand next year, which means changing school and im really nervous about this..i dont want to make a bad impression when meeting someone new and going all red!! that would suck...do you think beta blockers would help??

i also have my formal coming up which is very nerve-wracking! my solution for the rash on my chest is my hair! i have grown my hair quite long now which is great! so for you girls...grow your hair long! it almost completely covers the rash.

however not sure what to do about my face....sigh. ive read on here most people get the neck/chest rash, does anyone get blotchiness on their face?? the rash comes on my chest when im nervous but if something is really embarassing like a school talk *shudder* or something like that my whole face gets really really red and blotchy and people always comment. so just wondering if anyone gets it on their face?

anyway, would love to hear back from anyone!!
strawberry_red
I too am a blotcher and have been deaing with it for the last 7 years. I found a temporary fix with beta blockers; however, therapy should be incorporated as social anxiety is usually the root cause. I was previously taking 10mg and it did nothing. Recently, I upped the dose to 40mg on high stress days and haven't had any blotches. If you are not seeing results, talk to your family doctor about upping the dosage. I was in a wedding a couple of months ago  and even gave a toast bloch free! It has been a blessing to finally find something that helps. It controlled my life for so long and now I feel free again.

Talk to your family doctor before trying any recommendations. Mine has been very supportive and suggests that beta blockers are not harmful when taken appropriately. I do not take propranolol everyday, only on days when I know I may blotch.  Also, stay away from caffeine and make sure to exercise!!!

Hello, I am yet another victim of the red blotchy chest/neck syndrome! I don't get it on my face which I'm thankful for but I do get really blushed when I'm embarrassed. I am in my 20's and have had it for a few years now. I'm not sure what caused it to start. That is my biggest concern is what the heck caused this! Cuz then maybe i could find the cure. I'm assuming its the anxiety since I do think I have that but am in denial about. I also hide it from alot of my close friends and family. I do think it would help me if I did just announce to everyone that this may happen and just ignore it please;) My sister gets it to so I can always talk to her about it. I just got it pretty bad last night at dinner w/my fiance' and kept it covered from him as best as I could. He may have seen it on my neck but he didn't say anything.I did let him know i get these blotches a while ago when we first started dating in case he saw them but i still feel embarrased even with him.Thats why I got on the computer today and started searching for a cure or something I could take to at least help it. I do feel like a freak, which I really don't think we should think that about ourselves. But it ***** having this and getting embarrassed when people see it. Its really depressing. Its like a viscious circle that you keep tring to beat but then you look in the mirror and there it is all over you neck and chest! I get it in the social events; going to dinner, class presentations, even sitting in my chair if theres a chance the teacher might call on me ughh! I also get it while I'm eating which is weird to me cuz I may be home alone. I also have long hair on purpose, it is my best defense. A tan works great to but as soon as it starts to fade..watch out. I'm so relieved to have found all of these testimonies that confirm I am not alone. I really do feel everyones pain too. I think I'm going to try the beta blockers first since a few of you have had that work. I would like to take the more natural route though so I am going to keep searching for cures. I can't believe how many doctors don't really know what to do about it. Thats aggravating! Well thanks again to everyone whos dealing with this nasty nasty problem and tring to help others and good luck!!
i get this rash too! it's terrible, i can't wear pretty dresses anymore because as soon as i talk to someone or drink wine it flares up - bright red on my chest, neck and sometimes top of my back and arms.
It was better when i was taking nadalol - beta blocker. but i don't want to be on beta blockers forever and the doc said they can cause diabetes if you take them for a long time.
Does anyone else get it when they eat? i usually get it when i eat a meal, but sometimes when i think i have it i look down and it isn't there!! it doesn't make any sense why i get it sometimes and not others! It makes me not want to go out for meals because i look and feel so burning hot!
I get this too and Its put me off goin out for meals but i even get it in my own home too .I think i also get it from sittin in the car too because i feel a bit clastrapobic so i think it could be something along these lines but if u get it on your own at home when eating maybe there isn't a reason why we get it and that's why i am so pissed i can't find a concrete reason why i suffer from this rash that has ruin my life .Somethimes i think only if i didn't have this i would do so much more with my life and then i feel depressed that i feel like i am a fake and make decision based on my rash and not on what i want to do like,get married ..i can't wear a wedding dress that hides the rash.Wearing nice tops,puting my hair up,wearing no make up.Eating out,being a brides maid ,I turned that one down and it didn't go down very well.I even won't work because i can't wear what tops i want, my list is endless .I really do need help don't i?
This is the best forum I've found for this problem. For about 15 years (and I'm only 22 now), I have been suffering from a hot, blotchy chest and significantly hot, blushed face any time I am stressed or anxious. At 7, a dermatologist diagnosed it at dermographism, but as I grew, I became more affected by nervous stresses than physical ones.

Although I'm sure I break out at some point most every day, I only notice it when I am in front of people I don't know well, when I have to say something I don't think the other party wants to hear, or when I hear something I wasn't expecting.
During/after exercise, I don't get excessively sweaty but my face can stay blush for a couple hours even after I've cooled down. This one is embarrassing when people ask why I'm blushed and I have to say its because I worked out 2 hours ago.

I've jokingly discussed it with friends and boyfriends throughout college, but now as a graduate student I can't have my body showing its nerves any time I'm supposed to speak with authority or professionalism. Mentally, I'm usually fine and not nervous (that is, until my body reacts and then I get nervous that people notice it-and it just gets worse! a conundrum, huh?)

Anyway, I have OTC antihistamines that I only want to take on days when I expect a breakout. I don't know if they work because I always forget the morning of. I don't know what the best solution is to my forgetfulness, desire not to take the med daily (maybe keeping it at my office desk?), unknowing of whether non-drowsy antihistamines will help, and desire not to spend a fortune on a silly cosmetic problem.

Also, I wonder if it is equally probable in men and women, as mostly women seem to have posted here but women tend to dominate seeking medical advice such as this online.
I'm upset - I got the rash really bad twice tonight - was out with family and a friend of my sisters - WHY does this happen?? And WHAT can we do to help it?? I'm so frustrated!  Has anyone tried True Calm?
I know exactly how you feel!  (Get ready to read my book!)

I just read everything that you have posted over the last few months, saying to myself  – Yup, that’s me! I am 23 and have been experiencing the red/blotchy rash since I was in high school. Over the past year or so I have noticed that it has got much worse and like you, can not figure out why?!? I could be hanging out with friends or with my family and for no reason what so ever I am spotted! These last few months have been the worst and I am absolutely tired of it, I can’t take it anymore.
When I am happy/sad/upset/excited/nervous/embarrassed – you name an emotion, I turn colors. I try to laugh it off but inside I really do get so upset! When it happens around the people I know, someone will point it out and I’ll just say, “yeah, you know me- I turn funny colors” – what else am I suppose to do? But when I’m around people who haven’t experienced my blotches - I want to cry! At work I have to deal with patients one on one every day, the feeling I get when I notice them looking at me like I am going to pass out, I just want to run away (and you don't even wanna see me if I have to give a speech, I no longer get red, it's more of a purple!). There has been more than one occasions that I have had to leave what I was doing and hand my patient to another coworker because I was too embarrassed to go back into the room and face them.

I asked my mom when the first time she noticed it and she said my junior prom. Back then it would only happen every once in a while, but at this point in my life there isn’t a day that goes by where it doesn’t happen. Some days are definitely worse than others with multiple breakouts.  In fact, I am getting spotted just concentrating on writing this!

Some background information that might help explain why this happens to me: a few years ago I found out that I have a metabolic restriction problem (almost like diabetes, but not to that extent). Basically, my body has problems breaking down sugar – that might be one reason I have this problem.  Due to this, I have a really hard time maintaining my weight, I have to follow a low carb diet *which I haven’t been doing very well lately*.
That brings me to what you said about this possibly being related to weight gain. Over the last year I have gained 10-20 pounds, so if you were to ask me, yes-there is a great possibility it has something to do with our weight, or maybe just sugar intake… but – I’m not a doctor. I'm thinking that caffeine is also a big factor, I started cutting back the other day, I’ll let you know if it helps at all, nothing yet though.

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago but she hasn’t gotten back to me yet, we did discuses beta blockers but she seems hesitate and to be honest, if I can get around meds that would be wonderful. I also want to start an exercise routine, which seems to be helpings some people, besides- what can it hurt!

I know this wasn't exactly helpful to you, but reading all of your postings has made me feel a little better :-)

It's torturous dealing with this problem on a daily basis. I am a 42 year old mother of two and have suffered this embarressing problem all of my adult life. I have read most of your postings and sympathise with all of you. I have undergone surgery to try and rid this demon....I have to confess; although it has helped blushing to the face, it has done very little to eliminate a blotchy neck! Six months ago, after discovering this forum, I sought advice and help from my GP.As a result, I am currently taking propranolol daily. There is no doubt, my blotchyness is as bad a problem, as anyone of you has communicated; however, beta blockers have certainly helped...still, regretably, I must be honest and say this past week, I've been under alot of stress and my rash and feelings of anxiety have surfaced again! I am absolutely gutted. I thought I'd found a cure. I have been rash free for several months now and to have a flare up like this is just devastating. I also must confess; although rash free for all that time, I did suffer side effects; which took some time in surfacing.ie difficulty in sleeping (got quite severe; so much so that I swapped the propranolol for another beta blocker, but the blotchyness reappeared immediately, so I swapped it back again!) weight gain and the feeling of bloatedness. I am always on the look out for new ideas and pray for the day when a cure can be found. I too, like some of you, do not discuss this with anybody really and even find it difficult explaining to my GP!  My mum is going bananas with me at the moment, because I'm finding getting to sleep at nights a huge problem, so I am on sleeping tablets aswell as betablockers! The thing is my blood pressure has always been excellent and I am fit and healthy...so why take medication? I'd rather not, but my problem is so bad, I really do feel, I have no option.
I'm guessing we still have no solution.
This is driving me insane,especially having to deal with it at school!
The other day i was just talking to my ex and i went blotchy.
Sometimes i want to scream, other times break down and cry.
I don't even feel nervous and i get it and it just makes me feel worse having to explain it to every new person i meet.

I too suffer from these red, blotchy outbreaks.  When I was young and would get embarrassed my face would turn red, which is not that uncommon of a reaction, but it was not until I was 21 or 22 that the red blotches started to show up on my neck (or at least that was when people started to point it out).  I am now 29 and despise this issue.  I am shy and probably have a mild form of social anxiety but around friends, coworkers, and family I feel comfortable and am quite talkative.  Even in situations where I feel completely comfortable the redness can occur. I have noticed that if I have to talk about or explain myself to certain people that this happens or if I feel attacked, emotional, or angry the blotches show up.  I get tired of worrying about this and trying to hide it.  Most of the time I wear whatever I want but on days that I know that I have a meeting, I make it a point to wear a turtleneck or at least a crewneck.    

I've been reading the posts on this forum off and on over the past couple of months.  While I would like to try a beta blocker, I really would rather not be on medication if I can help it.  People have mentioned that caffeine could be an issue.  I have tried to cut back on that and went without any for a couple of weeks but since it has gotten colder, I can hardly turn down my coffee fix.  I am not sure that I have cut out enough or been without caffeine altogether long enough to notice a difference.  I love coffee but if the redness would go away it would be well worth the switch to decaffeinated.  I exercise on a regular basis, am at a healthy weight, and for the most part eat pretty healthy although I must say that desserts are my weakness.  I'm just wondering if we can all find a common link to explain this...

Have any of you considered that you are hypoglycemic?  Also, do you know that "decaf" beverages still have enough caffeine to cause sleeplessness and other problems? The only safe drinks are "caffeine free" herbal tea.  Coffee has other stimulants besides caffeine.  I truly believe also that the fish oil has helped me immensely.  Read my post from a few months ago.  Three of my fish oil pills contain 1200 mg of EPA, which is supposed to be as good as prozac (prozac is often used to treat social anxiety).  If you don't eat fish, then most likely you should be taking it anyway for cardiovascular health.I know that if I eat chocolate,drink decaf coffee, eat a bunch of sugary and white flour foods, and miss my supplemens then I am going to pay socially with the rash.   There is a good article on the internet called "Anxiety and Hypoglycemia" by alternative mental health.   I still get the rash in truly anxiety provoking situations like patient emergencies (I am a health care provider as well).  I just accept it.  Oh well, everybody is self conscious about something whether it be weight or height or whatever.  I think that a lot of the problem is being too focused on oneself!  Another good product is ultramag by source naturals.  It has taurine and other brain calming substances (along with magnesium which 75% of people are deficient in - I know longer blush in the face at all because of magnesium and I'm sure it has helped my blotches too.)  I really think that nutrition is at the bottom of this along with some genetic predispostion.  I don't get concerned with everything I take because I believe my body needs it anyway.  I'm sleeping better, have minimal PMS,  and no longer have winter depression (I also take vitamin D which is an entire different issue.  I think that every woman should have their vitamin D checked).  Anyway, not to be taken as medical advice but just ideas to check out on your own.  Fish oil is a blood thinner, so be aware and perhaps check with your doctor.  I wish you all the best and my heart goes out to you!
Thankyou so much for your recent posting. I have been out today and bought fish oils and magnesium! I have also researched the hypoglycemia on the internet and could definitely identify with some of the symptoms. I am determined to have a goog bash at a healthier eating plan aswell as taking these supplements. I am talking with my gp on wed and am going to inform him of these changes i am about to make, in the hope of making life more tolerable with the dreaded rash! However, i an too nervous to come off the betablockers just yet, incase of a recuurence with the blotches! I AM GOING TO MONITOR WHETHER THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE WITH THE SUPPLEMENTS AND WILL KEEP YOU POSTED. THANKS AGAIN. bbridge
BBridge,

Thanks for your interest in my posting.  Just wanted to add to give the supplements and a new diet time.  Dr. Weil (popular naturopathic doctor) says to give a new supplement 3 months before judging it as not being helpful.  Fish oil is something that can help over months.  I did notice increased mental clarity and energy the first week, however (hence you probably want to take in the a.m., not at night).  Also, the magnesium is good to start at a low dose (ie 200mg) because it can cause loose bowels in some people initially.  Best wishes and I'm glad to hear that you're checking in with your doctor.  Keep us updated!!
I also suffer from this and my twin sister has the same type of reactions. It is wonderful to have someone to joke about it with. I tell her I can feel the redness creeping up until steam comes out of my ears (tea kettle style). It happens to me when I am nervous (during presentations *UGH*, and in any other type of threatening situation. It is definitely linked to anxiety. HOT RED HUGE golf ball sized red areas on my chest and neck. I also experience these blotches if I am emotionally excited. Once I get off the phone with my mom I am usually blotchy even after a pleasant conversation that is emotionally stimulating.  I have done a lot of research to figure out how to calm these "outbreaks". Unfortunately, I don't think there is much that can be done medically.
I agree with all of the posts about eating less sugar and caffeine and trying to control your weight. Exercise is a HUGE help since it is a stress reliever and will release calming natural chemicals.
My boss used to ask me in board meetings: "what is wrong with your neck?" MORTIFYING! But I would laugh it off and say...sorry- I'm just nervous.
My best advice: Remember that you are a beautiful and unique person that has something interesting to say. Everyone else has a hang up whether it be physical or emotional. STOP focusing on this- get off the pc and live your life. There are so many people that can relate to these feelings even if their bodies don't display them as physical symptoms.
Just be yourself, wear the low cut dress with your hair up, hold your head high, and let people ask ?s if they will. But realize that it is mostly "self inflicted". The more you stress about it, the more it will happen.
Go for a jog/ walk outside and enjoy the fact that you are physically healthy. Talk about it with a loved one and laugh at it....it is your body showing emotion. . . Not such a bad thing.
I have to present to a board of VPs and upper management tomorrow at work. I am going to wear my favorite turtle neck sweater and try not to sweat it. :)
If you truly feel these "outbreaks" are brought on due to anxiety (which mine are), you can ask your doctor for Xanax and try and take half a pill before these anxiety evoking situations. I tired it once and it made me eerily calm. I asked my boss for a raise and got it! I wouldn't suggest using pills as the ultimate cure-all, but it doesn't hurt to just even have them in your purse as a security blanket.

The mental anguish I am experiencing about the presentation is far worse than the actual blotches. It really isn't the end of the world even though physically my body is sending those messages as a reaction to stress.

Also- my friend who has always gotten the blotches when emotionally excited or when drinking- got them on her wedding day. They only lasted for a bit, and then she was fine. She looked beautiful anyhow, and everyone just ignored them because we love her for who she is...not the color (colors) of her skin.
I too started having the red break-outs and blotchiness on my face, neck and back after my doctor had increased my Cymbalta to 60 mgs and my Lamictal to 400 mgs.  Since then just about every depression med they give me makes me break out - which doesn't help me one bit.

I've also been told that when using anti-depressants you have to be careful if you have a thyroid problem.

Another cause of the rash besides nerves and anxiety is allergies to hair dyes and what they call PPD/black rubber allergies - PPD is found in a lot of lotions, make-up, in all permanent hair dyes, printer ink and cartridges, etc - PPD is paraphenylenediamine - when I went to the immunologist I tested so positive the patch stayed on my back for 2 mnths - I also found out that I was allergic to red dye - hair dye, food dye - anything with red in it.

There's a great site call American Associaton of Dermatologists - and it explains it further.  PPD is also contained in some other substances including some sulfur drugs and also drugs used for anesthesia.

Hope this helps - these rashes are nothing to be happy about - and people don't understand that they stress you out because they start itching plus they are unsightly and they add to our anxiety and stress.

Be Blessed.

Peace 326
Just wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas! I hope your outbreaks leave in peace this holiday season.

God Bless
WOW! this is a real awakening, i never knew it was so common. My sister and I are the only people i know who have it and are victims of many mortifying games, strange looks, teasing, and permanent nicknames.  It's ruling my life, i won't even begin to explain because I have read every post and its exactly the same, only i get shapes on my face too, which look disgusting and are not covered by make up. (most people refer to them as shapes LOL)

I'm known for a dread of summer, but most people just put my rash down to "allergy to the sun" and i get told to hide in the shade all the time as a joke, its embarrassing. We really should start a forum to discuss the jokes, names, games and any amusing things people come up with related to our rash. As much as it makes me want to cry, im known for it and try to laugh it off, i think i get it alot worse than alot of people. You seem to be horrifyed by people just noticing it?! I'm lucky if it only comes to that. instead, people make up songs about it (rash rash rashy to "jack jack jackie" etc) , play games to try and make the rash appear, invite people to examine them and find pictures, majorly freak out like im going to die or something and get really worried, taking photos of it and I'm really really sick of it.

I'm going away soon to a foreign country very soon and am absolutely dreading trying to explain my rash to people in a different language, i need help. My mum refuses to help and will not take me to a doctor, i am 16 and legally able to but can't pay for medication behind her back. She just doesnt understand and its brought me to tears, i too have fantasised about what life would be like without the rash, and am fairly sure i would be incredibly confident and myself. I avoid speaking to boys all together now, knowing i will break out which is driving me crazy not being able to be myself or go out to places i want to. i have tried my own little flooding technique a little, by exposing myself to situations and around people i know will cause me a rash.(its moritfying, but worth it) Now, when I'm around them or in the situation, i dont get the rash hardly ever.  But i still get it daily, ive got  a gym membership im going to use like crazy. And im going to get fish oil and magnesium, also a fake tan too. Does anybody have calming techniques, please not deep breathing, i do it all the time. Sometimes i pray before entering a room, begging not to get the rash and it has worked, but many people arent religious. It certainly didnt work the other night when i had to walk accross a stage in front of my school.

I just feel so hopeless and dream of not having this effing stupid rash, it will make everything better if i can get it to go away. I will update on my progress.
just found site whilst looking for help with my red blotchy chest,neck and ear ! going to try taking fish oil now and other supplements which have been suggested.I did take propanol tablets couple of years ago and found short term success. the doctor i have now will not prscribe again as he doesnt believe they can have any affect ! Ive had months of acupuncture which again helped short term but very costly and have since stopped. The last 3yrs have been a nightmare , i wont go out in evening for drinks or eats , fear of looking like freak! Daytime i wear nothing but polo tops,scarfs . i hate not being able to wear normal clothes ! i am known fondly with family as miss blotchy! How i wish i wasnt. May we all find a cure very soon .
what is it called?
I have to deal with this at school all the time
I'm 16 and I get this even infront of my friends when im laughing and having a good time.
It is so embarssing and sometimes I just want to cry.
Today was interesting...
I went out with my boyfriend today to a lake and then to the movies(we've only being going out a month but known each other a lot longer)...I'd told him about this 'rash' i get and he said he didnt mind that i got it (my previous boyfriends had said the same thing, which i thought was odd seeing as i thought everyone in the world would think its hideous!!..)
We were at the lake and he gave me an envelope and inside was a song he had written to me. It was so sweet of him..and i could immediately feel my rash coming on (i was wearing shorts and a black singlet) so i tried to hide it.
I got it all over my neck, my arms, my chest...and also my legs!
I looked down and saw the redness in horror! It had never been this bad before! I burst into tears and my boyfriend was quite puzzled as to why i was bawling my eyes out..but i told him my 'issues' and he sympathized and gave me a massive hug and kiss on the cheek.
I felt SO STUPID for crying about it seeing as it disappears within a few minutes (depending on the situation) but it makes me so angry, frustrated, hopeless and depressed sometimes i just boil over. I'd never cried in public about it lol but it all just came out.

I wish there was a name for this condition..or a cure other than surgery.
My boyfriend was also telling me..your body has a completely new set of cells etc from when you were born to when you turn 21...is this true???
I guess i can wait 5 years until im 21...otherwise have no clue what im going to do.
I'm so glad that I found this forum and know that there are other people like me out there.  I've never met anyone else with this problem.  I first noticed my redness in high school. (I'm 25 now). For so many years it was only my face turning red.  I know this because people would always point it out.  Then during college, my face stopped turning red and it started in my chest and neck.  It has only seemed to get worse since then. If I get really embarrassed it will appear on my shoulders, all down my arms, and my back.  It has even started creeping back up into my face.  I can't wear low-cut tops and wish it was winter all year long so I could wear turtlenecks.

When I got married a couple of years ago there was nothing I could do to prevent it from happening.  I have very pale skin and tried to get tan but pale people can only get so dark. It did not hide the blotches.  I help up pretty well all day until I stepped into the church and started the walk down the aisle. I knew I was getting blotchy all over my chest, back and arms, but there was nothing I could do.  In the bride's room after the ceremony I looked in the mirror and I was the most red I had ever been.  It was so embarrassing and I knew that everyone had seen it. The only think I could do was wait to leave the room and fan myself until the splotches went away.

I don't think the blotches have anything to do with an allergic reaction.  I can feel the redness coming on because I start feeling the heat in my face and neck.  Then it only gets worse because I know it is happening.  The more I think about it, the worse it gets.  It holds me back from doing so many things.  It happens when I'm feeling almost any emotion.  But mostly when I get anxious or embarrassed.  Then for some reason people find it neccessary to point it out and it only gets worse.  Then the only way to get the redness to go away is just to wait. And if I'm in a hot room the blotches come on easier than if I was really cold. I try to keep the air conditioning on full blast at work just in case I'm put in an anxious situation. This actually seems to help.  But obviously, I can't always be in a cold room.  

I have been on anti-anxiety medication before but this did not help with the redness, so I no longer take it. I don't like being on medication, but I wouldn't mind if there was a medication specifically designed for this problem.  Which there isn't.  This may not seem like a big deal to some, but for me I can't stand it that people can see that I'm nervous.  I'm a shy person anyway, and this problem only holds me back even more.
I get red rashes on my chest too, but mine is there all the time....not sure if it is linked to your problem....but i get a fungus on my chest that can be washed with dandroff shampoo....i noticed that neutrogena works the best.  maybe this will help someone....cheers.
Hey, I also have this this condition. I haven't spoken with a doctor about it yet. I plan on it. I am going to get a giant tattoo on my chest...but that wont help with my neck and face blotching. *sigh* Maybe a tattoo on each shoulder... I don't know what to do. I have heard sooo many horrible things about the surgery. I found a forum and even a news interview on youtube saying how dangerous it was. It is my only option if the doctor wont give me beta blockers. I have low blood pressure. usually 100/60. When I get upset I turn into a freak. I have had thoughts of suicide lately. I can't leave my house to buy groceries. I live in a small town, I'm afraid I'll see someone I know at the store. So sometimes I shop in the next town, it is bigger....and I can get lost in the crowd. One on one interactions are the hardest. I quit my job, wont call my friends back...I just hide and now my fiance is depressed because i'm acting this way. I wont actually kill myself, but I have thought about it...and i'm afraid that if things don't change, in 4 years or so I might actually do it. gah...I'm 25 years old, female 5'10 145lbs. I dunno if my size has anything to do with it, because it did it when i was 120lbs too. i might get melanotan injections, or the surgery...or just a tattoo to cover the chest part.
Hi shylotus,

I just finished reading your post and it made me very sad.  The fact that you are having suicidal thoughts leads me to think that you are very depressed and would benefit from medication.  Don't hesitate to make an appt and ask for antidepressants.  I work in the health field and about 25% of the people I see are on them!  When your brain chemistry is out of whack, the negative thoughts are overwhelming and you get the wrong perspective on life!  It is not a long term fix, but can help you get going in the right direction.  Make sure you are eating the best diet possible (eliminate sugar, white flour, processed foods as much as possible and get lots of veggies!!)  Diet has a huge impact and mood and mental health.I used to suffer from chronic blushing and severe neck blotching and now I am much better!  I believe that God loves you and has a plan for your life.  I am a Christian and this brings me meaning and purpose to my life.  My prayers are with you!  If you are so inclined, read the book of John in the Bible.  Hope this is helpful.
I'm so happy that I came across this forum.  I don't feel like as much of a "freak" as I usually do.  I've tried topical creams, gaba, apple cider vinegar, and beta blockers.  NOTHING worked.  I currently visit an acupuncturist once every 2 weeks.  It is mostly for many auto-immune disorders (raynaud's, sjogren's, thyroid), but it is a relaxing treatment that helps slightly with the redness.

QUESTION - Does anyone suffer from Rosacea or Raynaud's Disease as well?  The combination of those two and the chronic flushing is unbearable.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I'm sorry I made you sad! I make myself sad! I'm feeling much better. I had surgery to have a under active gallbladder removed this week. I think I destroyed it by drinking alcohol so much.  I have an appt to see the doctor on Feb 2. I have no idea what to ask...or how to explain my blushing...I'll give it my best shot. I'm so afraid to tell her I blush..
I also suffer from Reynaud's disease (bad circulation to the fingers and feet causing fingers to go white in cold temperatures) as well as this problem. I agree there could be a link related to having poor circulation. Does anyone else suffer from both?
I also agree that the flushing is worse just before a period so was wondering if it could be related to hormone levels.
This could be a yeast overgrowth.  I have been taking a Probiotic supplement twice a day, and it has helped alot.  
I'm interested in the Probiotic therapy - Can you elaborate? What kind do you take? How did you come up with this solution?
firstly can i just say: I am so glad I'm not alone.

The first time i can really remember blushing and getting a red blotchy rash on my neck is in early high school. When i was even younger I would do school plays etc and it would not phase me, however high school seemed like a whole different place.
It got even worse when I started working at 16. As I worked in a shop I had to interact with the public on a daily basis and on my 1st day both my bosses had to stand and watch me the whole time and one even commented : "I think she is embarrassed" I know if this doesn't happen to you you can't understand it but the fact that I can remember those very words 6 years later says something about how much this has affected me.
Even things like meeting people I know (even close friends) in a public place means I can get this red rash on my neck at any point. I don't know if it has got something to do with the unexpected happening as i am the kind of person who likes to be in control. Thankfully the blushing is a rare occurrence these days. It is only the blotchy neck and chest rash i need to cope with.
It is so strange when this happens to me as i can be having a completely normal conversation (over something that i don't feel embarrassed about) and i get that familiar hot feeling on my neck and someone inevitably points and says : "what is THAT on your neck" THANKS, that really makes me feel great. I am a considerate person and i am very conscious of other people's feelings and wish other people could be to mine. On the other hand i can be having the same kind of conversation again and the rash does not appear. I do believe if i relax and don't feel so self conscious then it will not appear.
Saying that, I still wear high-necked tops on a regular basis to work "just in case" but this is so hard to try and conquer. i think in my case it is in my head and i need to learn to relax and be myself more in order to beat it.
Luckily i have a fantastic fiance who has never even mentioned my blotchy-ness to me so i don't even know if he has noticed it (or if he has i don't think he cares!) so this helps to boost my confidence a lot. I have the odd worry now and again about our wedding day which arguably can be one of the most stressful days of a person's life! but then i think, if it happens on the day then you can't do anything about it so why get even more stressed? it will only make it worse! Also what makes me wonder is that my blotchy rash is not consistent, i mean i can never really tell when it is going to happen, i have been in really stressful situations before and i have maybe gone a bit white with anxiety rather than getting the red rash so who knows, i may be paler than i thought on the big day!

A big thanks to everyone who has commented on this site as i now know that it is not that uncommon and there is always somewhere i can write to and rant about this condition/complaint (whatever the hell it is!!) this is the first time i have spoken about this in as much depth so i feel so much better even having speaking about it!
I suffer from these exact same blotchy episodes. In fact, I am a nurse in a critical care unit...what was I thinking??!!  So, I just wear turtle necks to work EVERYDAY!!  People say "girl, isn't that turtle neck hot!?"  I'm like, "no, I'm always cold natured."  It's much better than someone pointing out my neck and me thinking about it and it continuing to get worse and worse.  I definately think it's mostly in my head.  I'll even watch people's eyes to see if they are looking at my neck.  I also am engaged to a wonderful man that is aware of my blotches and he totally understands.  He never points it out and will even freeze in the car and the way to places just so I can cool my neck down!  LOL..do you do that??  ANYWAY, I have found a temporary ERRADICATION of this for my up coming wedding.  I graduated from nursing school this past year and had a big party.  I knew it would happen for sure, so I found this makeup called Dermablend.  I matched it to my skin and made sure to wear a halter neck.  I put the makeup on my chest and neck.  I WORKED!!  Noone noticed!!! NOONE!!  It matched perfectly.  I even wore it one night out drinking with friends with a low cut top and felt totoally NORMAL.  I think my blotches may not have even shown up cause I wasn't worried about it.  Even if they did...it was covered. I made sure at home that it would work and blew a very hot blower dryer on my neck....couldn't see them!!  So...just make sure you have some point of "stop" for the makeup (like a halter)....and your wedding can be gorgeous and NORMAL!!  

I hope this helps!!  I even emailed a surgeon out of state that is willing to do surgery for me...but can't even say for sure that it would help at all...I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

RN in Tennessee

Don't forget  DERMABLEND  
Good luck
I am also one of the lucky ones who suffer from this.  Mine started in highschool and has continually gotten worse over the years (24 now). I'm still in school and so very paranoid of it happening. It likes to pop up anytime and any place with any emotion. I also get very distinct,bright red blotches very badly in my neck, chest, upper arms, and my face gets red.  I have coped with the turtle necks..but after 7 years I am getting a little tired of it. I am completely not an anti-social person by any means, i'll talk to anyone. I just get very nervous about it and obsess about what people are thinking when I know they notice the blotches. I would love to try some natural remedies if anyone knows some that have worked.  It funny because after hearing all you girls worrying about their wedding day I have been freaking out about that forever and I'm not even engaged yet.  Well all the post have been great to read and have put me at some ease so thanks everyone.
I think this has something to do with puberty and hormones.  We all seem to have started this crazy blotchy thing in high school.  My sister and mom do it too.  Hereditary maybe??  I would love for a doctor somewhere to start doing some kind of research on this. I would even consider being the guinea pig.....

RN in TN
yes  I have the red chest and alittle up my neck. I use to just tan to make it look like a sunburn but I don't do that anymore. I am trying a calming lotion by Aveeno for redness. I just started so I don't know if it will work but it is worth a try. I hate it. Mine nerver goes away. Just gets worse. I do not drink and my caffine intake is one two two cups of coffee or tea.I will let everyone know if the calming cream works.Do not let it run your live.
do you ever get patches on your arms or legs. I get this burning feeling then i itch
Hi everyone.. I get these red bloches all the time; since I was in high school.  I get panic attacks but it was before that.  My entire neck, chest, and the top of my arms get all red and blochy.  I tried tor turtle neck thing and I still try to wear as many as possible.. For example, today I was home at lunch time and all of a sudden I started toget really hot while I was cleaning, next thing I knew, my neck, chest and arms were BEAT RED WITH BLOCHES all over them.  I went into the car, blasted the air to try to make them go aaway.. I cannot take this anymore it is very stressful and annoying.  I have a fiance and I live with him; I am not sure if he knows I have them or what because I try to wear a tshirt at home and whe n iget them, I put my hair over it but he has to see it; unless he doesnt.  The other day we were in the diner and it was the fist time I didnt wear a damn turtle neck and he said, your neck is all red...I said yeah I was scratching it...I AM EMBARRASED IN FROM ON MY FIANCE what am i supposed to think of other people looking ati t.  I know he wont leave me if I explain it to him but I am embarrased to even tell him about it.  I am 23 years old, I work full time and go to college full time... PLEASE, SOMEONE FIND A CURE AND HELP ME!  i AM GOING INSANE AND I WANT TO JUST SIT IN THE HOUSE BY MYSELF AND NOT LOOK AT ANYONE.  Icant even go out to have a drink or out to eat or even to the darn moving-----i cant go anywhere PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
does anyone have an idea of what to do in the Sumer because I can no longer wear turtle necks!  This is nutsand it makes me depressed.. Should I go to my medical doctor and ask? or should I go to a skin doctor??

I thought I was the only one who has this problem--I get it even when i am just talking to my fiance or his mother or anyone; they just appear.  I get so embarrased, I try to cover it but I probably loook stupid as anything with my hair over my face...They have to know but I don't know if they would say anything... Maybe I jus cover it up good but I feel like an idiot covering it up and I get o 100000 times worse because I am thinking everyone is looking. LIKE MOST OF YOU, I AM TERRIFIED TO GET MARRIED; I WAS GOING TO TRY AND GET A TURTLENECK DRESS...THIS ISN'T EVEN FUNNY.  WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I AM ON THE ALTER, AND EVERYONEEEE IS LOOKING AT MY RED BLOTCHES....

PLEASE HELP ME..ANYONE!! A DOCTOR,..SOMEONE  
I can't believe how much better I feel from reading all these posts.  I have had this for years....and like some of you am a teacher.  I get rashes daily, just from talking to colleagues.....it is so incredibly embarrasing.  I dread Parent Teacher conferences because I know I'll be just ONE GIANT RASH!!!! But, at least I know I'm not alone.
Paula
Was so happy to have found this forum and find a whole lot of people that go through the same thing! Im not an alien haha.
My doctor has just perscribed a low dose BetaBlocker (10mg) to try and stop my red blotchyness. Especially for my Wedding Day which is in 8weeks!
What I was wondering is, do you personally, take one beta blocker every day or one every morning and night as directed or do you take a slightly higer dose (2 tabs - 20mg) approx 1/2-1hr before a situation you know you will get blotchy (eg inteview, speech or meeting etc)

Im just wondering if that would work as I dont really want to take them everyday but am just very concerned about being blotchy when I walk down the isle and I could take them an hour before the ceremony begins if it would help...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Fantastic! Been suffering with this for years. I had no idea that there were so many others like me. I feel better already just knowing I'm not alone.
I forced myself to go to the docs last year and was prescribed Beta Blockers. I certainly noticed a difference and just take them whenever I know I'll be in a social situation.
It's funny that I never had this problem when I worked abroad in the sunshine.
I don't think I'm a particularly nervous person by nature, quite the contrary, I used to be very confident. It's this horrible condition that has nearly made me a recluse.
I get the rash when I'm on the phone having a really enjoyable conversation. Why!!
Good luck to you all. You only live once, don't let this ****** ruin your life.
I'm 20 and I'm so glad to have found out that I'm not the only one suffering from this condition.  It really does ruin my confidence as it occurs in most social situations especially when I go out drinking with friends or I'm around guys I like.  It normally goes off after 30-45 mins and if I can leave my scarf on until it goes I'm fine lol.  Thinking people have started to notice now though.  I've never been the most confident of people but this is really starting to affect my day to day life.  Definitely thinking about going to the doctors with it though now as I didn't think there would be anything they could do.  Thankyou everyone and good luck!!

Just wanted to let you all know that I am trying a restrictive hypoglycemic diet and having SOME SUCCESS.  For the most part, I had been doing better than I was a couple of years ago, but was still having fatigue, the rash, and anxiety at certain times.  Supplements have helped a lot, but not 100%.  Anyway, I am following the low blood sugar handbook by Edward Krimmel, and after a week of extreme fatigue and headaches, I feel like I am making some progress.  Today I talked to someone at the park and had ZERO social anxiety or rashes, just am feeling like I have a new center.  Basically, the premise of the book is that the adrenal glands get extremely taxed with a poor diet, ESPECIALLY if you are hypoglycemic.  My tip off to hypoglycemia has been chronic fatigue, anxiety, insomnia at times, feeling headachey and ill if I don't snack and eat meals on time, low grade depression.  I've also checked my blood sugar at work a handful of times, and it has been low.   There is a lot of info on the internet, I HIGHLY suggest that everyone here read about HYPOGLYCEMIA.  Basically, I've gotten to the point where I'll give up ANYTHING to get better, and I think that until one gets to this point, it is hard to get better.   I'm not doing it for the rash alone, but for my whole health in general.  The first two weeks of the diet there is no bread, no juice, no refined sugar, no cereals, no fruit, absolutely no caffeine or decaf (decaf has enough caffeine in it to still tax the adrenals, which shoot out the adrenaline that causes the rash and anxiety), no milk (too much lactose, a natural sugar).  The emphasis is on protein, low carb vegetables, plain yogurt, and nuts.  Really you should get the book or a similar one to understand the impact of the carbs on the adrenals.  After two weeks, things are slowly added back in, but basically I realize that I have to give up sugar and decaf coffee for life.  Chocolate was a huge pull for me, I was eating about a half a Dove candy bar a day, enough to exacerbate symptoms.  I will never again be able to drink 2-3 glasses of milk/day, eat chocolate, drink diet pop, eat more than 1/2 piece of bread at a time, drink decaf coffee, huge baked potatoes, etc.  I accept this, but have embraced a whole new way of eating and am enjoying fresh salads with oil and vinegar, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheeses.  I can still have steak, chicken, fish, and egg omelets.  I have to eat every 2 hours on this program, with snack immediately before going to bed!!  Meat is not restricted as long as it doesn't have sugar or fillers added.  If you want to go through a doctor to get this checked out, you can get a glucose tolerance test, but my understanding is that this does not always give a true picture.  A lot of practitioners will diagnose it based on symptoms and whether a dietary change helps.  My understanding is that with the change in diet, one can see positive changes for 3 months and longer, just depends on the severity.  In the mean time, I am continuing my fish oil, chromium, vitamin C, vitamin D, multivitamin, magnesium, etc.  Most people feel bad for up to two weeks (and in some extreme cases even longer) after getting the refined carbs out of the diet - but I feel I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  I know this is a hard pill to swallow.  A great book that also might change your perspective on sugar is Sugar Blues.  It really changed how I thought about sugar and helped me to want to get it out of my diet (I have slowly weeded desserts out of my diet over the last couple years - just not to the extent that I needed to).  I hope that this helps someone.  Just wanted to share what has helped me.  I have been praying for an answer, and I believe I have it now.
Just wanted to add a couple of things -

You can eat well one day with hypoglycemia and still have the reaction because your diet as a whole has conditioned your adrenal glands to overreact.  I did not understand this before and this piece of info has helped me to realize that I need to eat well at ALL times.

Sugar must be checked for on all labels and for all forms - can't even eat catsup the first few weeks of this program.

There is no artificial sweeteners allowed because the brain might be conditioned to react in the same way to something sweet other than sugar.

Please let me know what you think or if you try a similar program!!  Best wishes!
Hi, I suffer with the red neck syndrome as well.  A little background: I have had this issue since high school. I had low self esteem, and was not necessarily a looker until I was older.  I am very fair, I had braces forever, thin, and not curvy in the right places as an adolescent.  I am an only child too, so loneliness was sometimes as issue.  I think the constant trying to fit in, trying to be cool, really lowered my since of self.  I ended up not finishing high school on time because I was always parting and not paying attention to what was really important. All I wanted was to be cool, accepted, and liked by the opposite sex.  Since that time I am now happily married, have a successful job, and in my opinion pretty darn attractive. I have a lot of confidence, and starting conversations with new people is not a problem for me. I'm not a person with typical social anxiety, but I know I have it.  I'm very aware and critical of myself, my appearance, and how others judge me.  When I meet new people, get angry, sad, happy, anything emotionally linked to my brain, I get a map of the world type blotch all across my chest, and down my arms.  It's huge, hot, and then my armpits sweat profusely. Nobody can tell what my body goes through as I wear turtle necks whenever possible.  In the summer it's less intrusive because I get a tan and it seems to really keep the whole experience at bay.   I take Inderal 60mg's whenever I think I will get red, which included my wedding day- I took probably 3-4 60mg pills- which I would not suggest since you could probably overdose on them, but had a wonderful red free day, which was very important to me.    I take them when I feel like I will be looked at like a freak—which leads me to believe this is all in my head.  The only way to beat this is to get over yourself, and stop thinking everyone cares that you are red, start having some self confidence.  I listened to this audio book I found online when I was considering the nerve surgery- http://www.blushingfree.com/

It really put things into prospective for me and gave me some techniques to use when I feel the burn start.  I still take the pills, and probably will start tanning some because I have a strapless dress for a June wedding I am going to. But take this day by day.  It's a healing process to get to the confidence level you need to be free of this disorder. I thought about surgery but after the blushingfree audio book I will defiantly not do it.  It's just not worth it.  I would suggest reading self-confidence books, and taking a beta blocker as I have had a lot of success with that for years.   Good Luck, and you are not alone.

Just wanted to let you know that I had a doctor's appt today and did superbly!  I felt UNUSUALLY CALM and just had a couple faint pink patches on my collar bone that weren't really even noticeable.  Normally I get a dark red rash all over my chest with doctor's appts.  I am feeling very well and am noticing increased well being every day being on this hypoglycemic diet - although the first week was rough.  For me, this is a diet change for life and I am treating it like I would a diabetes diagnosis.  I AM EC
STATIC and BELIEVE I WILL BE CURED!  I believe that I've had reactive hypo since about age 12 or so.  I had panic type symptoms all through high school during presentations and starting getting the rash in my 20s in pressure situations.  Hypoglycemia is considered a form of insulin resistance and can be a step before diabetes.  Even if you don't think you have hypo, you may consider trying  this diet as you may get results (it is really how we should be eating anyway).  I would have never dreamed that I could be this calm.  The first week was very hard but worth it.  I am expecting to be cured.  By the way, don't expect much help from your doctor with this, all of my reading confirms that (most) doctors will not  diagnose reactive hypoglycemia, they just want to treat you for depression, anxiety, whatever.  You can pass the glucose tolerance test, but it doesn't measure adrenaline, which could be pouring out to keep your blood sugar up.  I EXPECT TO BE CURED TOTALLY WITHIN 3 MONTHS!  BBRIDGE HOW ARE YOU DOING?  Will post again in 3 months or in response to questions.  God bless you all!  Read the Krimmel low blood sugar handbook and check out the reviews on the amazon website!

cp21:  How are you eating?  I feel for you  - it sounds like you have this severely.  I respect anyone's decision to treat this with drugs instead of diet.  It is a very personal decision.
Hi All...
I am also a sufferer of this horrible rash...I am 25 & have had it since I was 21. So 4 years of either covering up or having people ask me "What is that all over your neck?" Its awful, as I'm not at all an insociable person, but it is making me one. I have it in almost all social/emotional situations, or when drinking alcohol, though i didn't really get it on my wedding day (I did have a few glasses of wine before I left so that I could get my rash out of the way which I did & keep the nerves at bay!)
  I have read all of the posts on here & I really believe that it is hypoglycemia. I have a very sweet tooth therefore have a lot of sweet stuff!!! It is going to be hard for me, but it's this or suffer the rash forever... I have ordered 'Hypoglycemia For Dummies' Book, but will start with my change in diet today as it's the first of the month I feel as if i can start afresh from today. I will also fit in 1/2 hour exercise each day as that is also supposed to help. Fingers crossed!!! I will keep u all posted on how I'm getting on....
what a relief to know that i'm not alone. I've been suffering from blotchy neck syndrome for about 3 years now. It happens when i'm nervous, emotional, drinking alcohol (first drink usually and then calms down) after sex, and sometimes when i'm just really warm.

The thing is, i also get the same type of red blotches on my legs if i have a shower or bath late in the day. For example, if i have a shower to get ready to go out my legs get are covered in splotches.

I have really bad circulation also, in my feet (they sometimes look like those of a corpse) and i wonder if this is all connected? i have put weight on in the last 3 years and have felt like the weight gain has contributed to my bad circulation in my feet and my leg blotches.

Has anyone else experienced the leg blotches or bad circulation problems?
Hi there,

I commend you for getting on top of this at age 25!  Just wanted to give you some encouragement.  I woke up feeling just great today.  No eruptions of the rash yesterday even with prolonged social interaction .  I did overdo some exercise two days ago and so was very tired for two days up until I went to bed yesterday - ran two miles which was too extreme for where I am with this diet change.  I am planning to just walk 1-2 miles a day for a while, most days of the week.  Expect a rough first week with headaches and fatigue - it can go on much longer depending on how much sugar and coffee you normally ingested.  I'm no expert but have done a ton a reading on the topic.  IT WILL BE SO WORTH IT!  I have been able to refrain from sweets/coffee/decaf lattes easily as I realized how terribly it was affecting me - now I just look at it all and think of it as the enemy!  I am feeling better than ever today.    But I do believe you will see a lessening of the rash/anxiety very soon if you stick to your diet closely.  Let me know what you think of the dummies book!  I am in my mid30s and wish that I had discovered these ideas MUCH earlier.  I think that it has affected my whole career advancement and outlook.  Please keep in touch on the board!
Hey there,
Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it, It can only come from someone who knows what I'm going through. My husband is good to listen to me going on, but he doesn't really offer much help as he just says he loves me rash or not! (Bless him)
  But today I had a crappy day. I ended up feeling so bad that I needed a cup of tea (no sugar) with biscuits & also really felt the need for a can of coke later on. I had a headache & felt really tired. I have decided that in order to make a fresh start I need to get rid of any temptation that is in my kitchen (I have children so treats are always around) Also it will be a good thing for their future. I am more strict with thier intake of sugar anyway & really limit them to the treats. I am away this weekend so when I get back, (hopefully my book will have arrived & I will know what I can & can't eat) I am going to do a huge healthy food shop & that way the only thing in my kitchen will be food that will help me rid this ridiculous rash!!!!! I am so focused on the future without having to hide away, that I will have to deal with a few weeks of feeling awful, like I did today. I really hope it will all pay off.
  Thanks again for your msg & well done to you for actually sticking with it & seeing positive results. You are an inspiration.

Thanks for your kind response.  Thought I'd check in one more time today, and am glad that I did :)  Yes, half the battle is getting the stuff out of the house . . . my motto has been if it is not in the house then I won't eat it!!  Also, I've found that putting a big jar of mixed nuts into my car has been helpful.  I eat two eggs every morning along with some morningstar sausage (soy based) or bacon.  I feel that it gives me a great start to my day.  I have kids as well and one of them I have observed to be moody and possibly sensitive to sugar, so I think this is a great step for my whole family (maybe I will help to spare some future suffering?!)  Ive been buying a lot of stuff at Costco - two huge bins of their organic lettuce mix, a jar of kalamata olives, mini sweet peppers and tomatoes to make delicious salads. Topping with olive oil and red wine vinegar.   And lots of specialty cheese so I don't feel denied of treats!!  Cottage cheese and yogurt make great snacks (not artificially sweetend, just plain, sounds yucky but I have grown to prefer it).  Anyway, your book will give you lots of insight, thought I'd just share some of my diet.  I feel pretty good today, a little spacey this afternoon but overall very encouraged and feel like I will emerge a new and improved me!!  Stay focused and you will beat this!
Hi!  FYI some cottage cheese has dextrose, and definitely a little pasta is not ok (at least for me).  Had rash outbreaks socially within two hours of eating these.  Otherwise, had zero for over 3 weeks!  Feeling better than I have in 20 years!  I've been VERY strict with my diet otherwise.
I started having these "flushing" problems 11 years ago after the birth of my son. I would always get red on my neck and chest if I drank alcohol, especially wine. Or if I was nervous or really upset. But now I get blotchy for no reason. I will be sitting relaxed watching a movie and I will break out. I feel a rush of extreme heat all over my body. Sometimes my ears and cheeks will be bright red and feel like a sunburn. My skin feels like it's on fire, very uncomfortable. I also experiance it when I eat certain foods, something salty or spicy. I have learned to live with it .Everyone I work with and all my friends and family know about it. It's embarrasing when I'm out in public, but I try not to think about it or it will get worse. A couple of things have helped me in the past. I tried Paxil and Lexapro ( not at the same time). Both helped me quite a bit. Also, and maybe this is coincidence, I was on a birth control pill for about a year and don't recall having many "outbrakes". I've had my hormone levels checked while on the pill and off and the results were fine. So I'm not positive that had anything to do with it. Iv'e been to endocrinologists, dermetologists, psycologists :-) , and gps. They all told me it's just the way my body is and I'm a "flusher". Very frustrating. It is comforting to find forums like this one and to be able to share what works and what doesn't and to know that we are not alone with this annoying problem. Good Luck to everyone :-)
Just thought I'd check in today & let u know how I'm doing...I am actually very happy with the results of cutting all sugar, bread, pasta etc out. I have been in several situations so far this week where usually I would get the 'Rash'. But havn't!!!!!!! I had a very faint rash whilst engaged in a heated debate today over whose fault it was involving a bump with my car, but nothing like it would have been a few weeks ago, more pink than bright red...I have been strict with what I eat (&feeling better overall) I made a meal plan which is 6 small meals a day. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch & I know I have a long way to go, but if this is anything to go by,then I am a very happy bunny!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited to hear of your results!  I am feeling good too.  Had a rash free night socially last night while interacting with many people.  Maybe our reports will encourage some other people.  I definitely feel that my positive response has confirmed hypoglycemia (since I am so improved with diet).  Maybe I'll improve to the point of tackling toastmasters eventually!  Wow, you had a heated discussion about your car and stayed essentially rash free!  Easter will be interesting.  I'm sure that my eating only ham and salad will generate some questions.  I'm sticking to my diet though.  Just not sure how I want to present this to my extended family yet.  Maybe I'll just say I've found that I'm sensitive to sugar and white flour and keep it to that?  I think that I'll order a low carb cookbook and tweak it as needed.  I'm going to need some new standbys for dinner.  Take care, my fellow recoverer!  Let's stay the course!
Hi there,

I hope that you are doing well.  I am doing just great.  I had a patient emergency at work the other day and stayed very calm and essentially blotch free!  I am definitely happier eating this way.  I went off St. John's wort over a month and a half ago after taking it for 3-4 years for low moods.  I really feel better than I have felt since childhood!  Now I feel like I just need to find out how much fruit is ok, step up the exercise, etc.  I did not sleep well the first 3 weeks or so, but now am sleeping well through the night!  How are you doing?   Have you been able to stick with the hypoglycemic diet?  Are your sweet cravings going away?I hope that you are feeling better and better each day.  Take Care!

Hey there...
Good to hear from you...I'm actually doing great!!! Its amazing! I have stayed rash free in almost every kind of situation where I would have usually got it. Glad to hear you are doing fab aswell!!! I've been feeling ok too, not really had any more funny feelings since changing my diet. I havn't really missed sweet stuff either which is really surprising, but I do look at it as you say 'The Enemy'!!!  I have had the very odd few treats eg. My sons birthday last week, I had a very small piece of cake & over easter the temptation of soooooooooooo many eggs in the house was to much to say no to, so I did have a nibble!!!!!! But over all I have cut out nearly everything sweet & white, & also only have 1portion of fruit per day (apple,pear, or bluberries) as fruit does have alot of its own natural sugars, and I did eat 4portions per day before changing my diet.
  I'm so happy that we are experiencing the same results, it gives me so much hope & determination to keep going!!
I'm so glad to find people that feel the same thing that I feel.
It's weird, I don't understand, just like you...
In the beginning, I only get red when I was very nervous, I didn't remember about this... usually my friends asked me about this and I noticed. When I started University, I always used a t-shirt that didn't show my chest, because it was enough to didn't appear the blotchy. Then, my arms gotten red blotchy too. It is terrible!!!
I will try all the things that you already tried. Makeup, supplements, diet and betablocker. It's my first search about this in English, I tried one time in my native language, in the my country's google website, but I didn't find many things...
Thanks for everyone, You make me hope for a solution again!!!
I would like to suggest a e-mail group, for we all help and be helped.
I'm sorry for my English, it's my second language and I don't usually write in English :)
I have this problem and I had found a solution for chronic blushing on the face. It is called DERMACOLOR. I wear it every day, and it really does conceal any blushing or redness (if you apply it in the right place). It is a miracle worker for me, and has serisouly changed my life since I bought it two years ago. The concealor itself is so good (that is if you spend some time getting the right colour for you), that often after I've applied it, people can't tell that I'm wearing make up at all. This make up is so strong that it is used to conceal tattoos. I have tried using Dermablend and it is not as effective.

You can find out about it and order it online.Here is the website: http://www.charlesfox.co.uk/Dermacolor/dermacolor.html
I found out about it through a blog online two years ago, and if I can help others the same way it helped me, it would be a joy.

Please note though, this concealor is primarily for the face. I still get blotches on my neck, and I'm looking for a solution to that.  
Did you try use this dermacolor in your neck and didn't resolve? I'm looking for a makeup to my neck and chest...
Just wanted to let you know that I am continuing to flourish on this hypoglycemic diet.  I went on a Christian women's retreat this weekend and had a wonderful time.  Feel like my rash/social phobia has become obsolete.  I did make the mistake of having some sugar free chocolate and about 4 hours later had an attack of blushing, but no rash.  It did calm down rather quickly.  I also had some clam chowder which was likely thickened with flour and got a migraine the same night.  SH20 - have you noticed a severe reaction when you have tried to reintroduce those foods?  Otherwise, I am feeling happy and more energetic than I ever remember feeling - and I'm not even exercising consistently yet!  I am pushing forward with life and taking the focus off my self and to my faith and friends.  This diet has definitely been the answer for me.  Goodbye board!  I don't have any other advice other than you have nothing to lose by trying the hypoglycemic diet!
I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well...I, on the other hand am now not having such luck :(
  For some reason I had an eruption of the rash today whilst talking to an old friend. Can you please give me a typical daily diet that you follow so that I can compare?
Maybe I am going wrong somewhere. Thank you!

My typical diet is:

Breakfast:  two eggs, vegisausage or pork sausage (minimally proceseed) or a dab of plain yogurt instead of meat, just starting to experiment with adding in Ezekiel sprouted grain bread which is NO FLOUR.  Herbal tea.  Book suggests no more than 1/2 slice of bread at a time until hit about 3 month mark.  I tried unsweeted applesauce and got the brainfog/fatigue again.  Do not each fruit and bread together according to my info!

Snack:  1/4 c almonds or walnuts, occasionally cashews.  Cashews are higher carb, make spike insulin in some people.

2nd snack depending on lunch:  slice of cheese

Lunch:  Salad as desribed in previous posts.  Vinegar dressing as most all dressings have added sugar.  1/2 to whole organic chicken breast on top.  LOTS of veggies/dark lettuce.

Snack:  Nuts or plain yogurt or bunch of raw veggies.

Dinner:  Meat with steamed veggies and additional salad.  NO pasta, potatoes, corn, starchy veggies.

Note:  You might want to order the Krimmel book.  I read on several websites that it is the absolute best. It gives very detailed advice.  I checked out the dummies book from the library and did not feel it gave great advice as a recipe or two has white flour!  The Krimmel book says that if symptoms come back, cut back on fruit and bread.  Ive read on the internet that some hypoglycemics almost never eat fruit or bread.  Are you avoiding sweets like the plague?  I also use chromium picolinate 200mg/day and I believe that magnesium is a must!  I ordered a used copy of the Krimmel book on Amazon for $4.  Snack are critical to prevent release of adrenaine - every 1 1/2 hours in morning, every 2 hours or so in afternoon until dinner.  Snack - yogurt suggested -before bed.  Check all labels for all forms of added sugar.  How does this compare to how you're eating?  Don't lose heart - just remember how much you've improved overall and don't expect perfection!
Hello...
Thank you so much for the info posted. My diet is not too much of a difference to be honest, but I do still have a piece of fruit daily, so maybe cut that out completely. Have also just switched to Soya milk (lactose free) I think I will order the Krimmel book, as I have found the Dummies book not to be great...I have been avoiding sweets/ chocolate etc as much as possible, but will have to avoid them totally & not even let anything like that pass my lips!!!
Have you had any Rash at all in the usuall situations since the total change in diet?

Yes, I had an incidence of the rash a couple days ago.  I have a very high stress job in health care.  I did not get my morning snack at work and got the rash just in a routine conversation.  I was very stressed out and busy that morning as I had some very ill patients.  I just read the other day that stress depletes one's blood sugar rapidly.  I'm not getting the rash outside of the work setting like I used to.  I also ate bread that morning.  I'm thinking about cutting out wheat completely.  It just seems to make me tired.  I believe I read that somewhere around 10% of the population is very sensitive to wheat/gluten.  Are you making sure that your soy milk doesn't have evaporated cane juice?  That is sugar.  I would check the carb content - probably wouldn't drink more than 4 oz at a time.  Yogurt has less impact on blood sugar than milk.  I'm a bit frustrated with the dietary restrictions, but I always come back to how I'm feeling/functioning socially is so worth it.  What have your side benefits been of going on this diet?   Oh, I also added pantothenic acid and felt a large boost of energy with this.  Supposed to be EXCELLENT for adrenal glands which those with hypoglycemia have very stressed adrenals.  If you order the krimmel book, read carefully about the portions and recommended foods.  Are you still overall feeling much improved overall between the rash and energy levels?  I hope so.  A good website for you: ehealth hypoglycemia forum.
I did buy the the derma color body cover, but it was no way as good as the one for the face. It wasn't as strong, and so obvious when I put it on. It's a cream, whereas the one for the face isn't. What you could do, is buy the one for the face, but use it on your neck and chest. Make sure you get exactly the right colour though. There are so many to choose from, and also most people mix two together to get their exact colour. The shop the sells them (look at the website I mentioned before) offers a professional to sit down and get the right colour with you. You have to pay for this of course. I didn't, I just went into the shop in Athens (there is also a shop in London too) and spent a long time finding out the right colour for me. Hope this helps. Let me know if you find anything for the neck!  There's a big family party this summer, and I think I'm going to get a spray on tan to conceal the blotches on my neck!
Hi! I saw today a great product for cover tattoo! and it's cheap!  
Ben nye concealer, it is using for theater and stage. I think I will buy this one...
here is the link: http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnnc.htm
you can find this cheapier, in ebay and another websites... I think I will buy the palette, I read the reviews in makeupalley and it has a high rated. Good luck =)
I feel so much better that I am not the ONLY one that has this problem.  I am 24 and when I was younger I blushed every now and then but when I left school and started in the workforce at 16 it started.  I get it when my emotions change...nervous, stressed, excited, talking to someone I havn't seen in a while etc......I remember when I served younger people and young men that I would blush bright red but it would stay blotchy and mainly on my neck and chest.  It has gotten worse over the years.  If I go from a cold room or from outside into a hot room with a heater on I go blotchy straight away, it usually starts with a big ball on my chest.  When I eat certain hot foods or drinks it usually starts with a line up my neck/throat area.  Other times when nervous it can start with a big ball of red on my cheek or my ear is bright red.  A it spreads to the point where its almost all over but there is an outline which just makes it look wierd!!  Many people have commented over the years and I just say oh yeah I'm just a bit flushed and hot.  When I know I have something on like a meeting or similar I stand in front of a fan or air conditioner with cold air on my face and chest area, esp in the car I love air conditioning to stop me going red.  In the sun its bad too, starts really blotchy and usually goes on my arms then too.  I actually just stood down from my job because I couldn't handle going red and blotchy in meetings and turning into a nervous wreck.  I went to my doctor about 1.5 years ago and she put me on a Beta Blocker called Minax which she said is usually used for high blood pressure.  Doc said it will lower my heart rate and blood pressure and hopfully will help.  I take one tablet in the morning and do notice in the morning I am fine and don't go blotchy...but wen the afternoon hits I get it.  I used to make my work meetings in the morning because I knew I had less chance of going blotchy!  On my wedding day I made sure my makeup artist knew of my problem...she put this green stuff under my foundation and it actually covered my redness....you could only see a bit of red on my neck and chest in some of the photos.  The last couple of weeks I have ben dieting and cut out all sugary foods, softdrinks and most of my carbs...I've actually noticed I haven't been going as red and getting my blotches!!!  I have even been able to have the heater on at work and still haven't gone red....I do sometimes turn my desk fan on if I'm feeling a little hot and that helps alot.

I must admit though doing all of these things isnt really a life well lived but I guess I have to do it if it helps a little.  Don't go out much because of it and I worry when I plan to start a family...because I will have to go off the medication.. My doctor said if I still have alot of trouble with it I might need cognotive behaviour therapy. I realy don't know though, it is to do with nervousness and stuff but it is also to do with the food because I do go red with hot drinks and hot food and heaters........and none of those are to do with anxiety?  Its all just so confusing and no-one really seems to be able to help with it.....
Sorry I have a little more to add.  I also get it when I drink alcohol and when I shower - blotchy again and again!!  We all have the same triggers....

I can't stand wearing things over the hot area though so turtlenecks are a no no for me.   Even around family that I am comfortable with I get it.  I love outdoor get togethers and parties because I am cold and it helps keep the rash at bay.  Our wedding day was about 16degrees and rainy and cold and everyone around me was freezing but I loved it!!!  hehe

Vanessa from Australia
I have had this for years, tried diets, GABA herbal remedies etc etc, to be honest the only thing that has worked for me was, ATENOLOL a beta blocker, i take 50 mg daily and rarely blotch infact the only time i ever do is if i drink alcohol, even then is 100x better than it used to be. Also i think confidence plays a huge part in this happening, as if you genuinely are not bothered about this happening then it wouldn't happen half as much. sometimes it's the 'worrying' about it happening, which then makes you anxious, then being anxious produces adrenaline and hey presto the rash appears...CBT is fantastic for making you think differently towards it happening, if it happens is it really the end of the world? do other people even care? certainly not as much as we think, they probably forget about a minuite after noticing, and then we remember it forever...right? it's very hard trying to get in to that mindset, but it is working for me. About 2 years ago i barely left the house couldn't go the supermarket alone incase the lady spoke to me and the rash appeared, wouldn't eat infront of people incase i got hot and it happened etc. until there is something better or more permenant i think beta blockers are the only thing that will work, if one brand in not right for you try another i have tried 3 different ones untill i fould this to be the best. If anyone does know of some miracle cure or new treatment please keep us all posted..I really do feel for everybody who suffers from this at least we know were not alone though! x
I posted several months back and have since gone on a beta blocker, Inderal. I owe that drug a lot of credit for getting me through my phd oral qualifying exam! It worked like a miracle for me!
I've read your posts with interest.  I too suffer from the red blotchy neck and chest.  Oddly for me, I don't seem to blush very much in the face at all (although it feels warm, it doesn't look red).  As soon as I feel the warmness, the blotches on the  neck/chest automatically appear.  Over the years, it has gotten worse and worse (I'm now in my mid-30s).

I've tried Atenolol 50 mg - didn't help much.  A combo of Nadolol and Clonidine work a little but I don't like to take it everyday as I've read betablockers may cause/trigger diabetes for some people.

I've also looked into supplements such as fish oil and magnesium.  Just wondering which type of fish oil is the best.  I see Omega 3 and then there are others that are Omega 3-6-9 and I'm not sure what the difference is or what type is best.  Also, wondering if fish oil would work similar to aspirin since they are both blood thinners (and I've found on other sites, some people have been recommended aspirin).

I don't know...I want to find a solution to this so I can buy normal shirts!  My fiance is great.  He knows all about it and it doesn't bother him at all.  Thinking of trying a tan - not sure about real or fake yet - for our wedding.  That's the one day I don't want the rash to appear, although I know it will.  
Hi Simmy,

I take the pharmaceutical grade fish oil from Natural Factors, 3-4 capules/ day.  It is EPA 400/DHA 200 per capsule.  Cheapest prices are on the internet.

The magnesium cured my husband of a ten year chronic neck ache that doctors couldn't figure out or medicate.  It definitely stopped my facial blushing and helped the blotching a lot.

Quite honestly, the thing that has helped the most has been the hypoglycemic diet and cutting out all caffeine, decaf, and chocolate.  It was a HUGE difference, to the point that I only blotch under big stresses or if I neglect to eat regularly.  I agree with you on the atenolol; I've also read the info on diabetes.  I would however, consider taking it for special events like presentations, interviews, etc.  Just not daily.  Not sure if the aspirin would help or not.  I think that the fish oil just helps with overall calmness and confidence.

Hope this helps.  

Best wishes with your wedding.  I have a ton of entries here on the hypo diet - so hope you noticed those.  
I have been getting a rash on both sides of my neck & a little on my chest. I didn't even think it would deal with anxiety. This just started a few weeks ago & I'm curious as to what caused it?? I don't drink or smoke or anything like that. My fiance pointed out how bad it was the other day when it was so bright that he thought it was a hickey but it was the rash. ???
Thanks very much for quick reply.  That helps.  I have read your posts on the hypoglycemic diet and I think I am going to look into this more as well.  Quite a while ago I did cut caffeine out and found that helped.  I don't have coffee or tea at all (except for herbal).  Chocolate is the hard part, but I try to stay away from it!

I think the blotches get worse over time because the more often it happens, the easier the blood vessels dilate (this is just my opinion, not medically based).  At least for me, that has been the case.  When I first started getting them, it would happen occasionally.  Then it started to happen more and more often and for more reasons than in the past.

Thanks for the great info!  I've also hired a makeup artist to use airbrush makeup on my wedding day which should help cover it up as well.  I will take a betablocker and clonidine on my wedding day and that together with the airbrush makeup should cover it up somewhat.
I've been getting red blotchy itchy and burning rashes that are hot to the touch and I feel hot inside when they appear. They last for a few minutes everyday and then go away although sometimes they can last a couple hrs.They occur on my chest, breasts, shoulders, upper arms, stomach, whole back, face, and sometimes upper thigh. I find them to come on especially if I'm hot, anxious, nervous, stressed, upset, worried, mad, etc. I thought it might be an allergic reaction