Anxiety Community
scared i have schizophrenia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

scared i have schizophrenia

latley, when i think positive my mind comes back and says somehting negative.
im afraid i have schizophrenia.
do i?

like for example, i think "im goin to do good in school, everything will work out"
then my mind talks back and says "no your not, ect ect.
im scared.
Could this not be natural with a person who is going through a hard time as well? If you take most anxiety sufferers / people who are feeling down, they have something coming up soon. They tell themselves they are going to do great at this. No mess ups this time. But then they get negative feedback in the mind about the whole thing. That they will botch things up big time. Everything will go wrong for them. Anxiety or depression could just as simply be causing your problem. When you're down, you're down. It is hard to think positive thoughts. You think the worst of everything. No matter how hard you try and tell yourself everything will be fine. Your schizophrenia idea is just another one of these negative thoughts. I doubt for one second you have it at all. Just letting things get in on top of you.
Im not a pro. at this whole issue, but I do know this.
My brother was diagnosed with borderline Skitzo, because he hears a voice that he swears is not his, but it tells him possitive things....for now he takes nothing because its only possitive, im sure he would if it was negative.
I think I know what your talking about though, and I dont think its skitzo. I have the same problem, because it comes to a point where we in anxiety loose ourselfs, and "forget" what it was like to be normal, so when we begin to "feel normal, or close to" our minds stop us sometimes, because its almost a new thing to be "normal" and like the old saying gos, people are scared of what they dont know. Ill get points in my day where its kinda like what you were describing, throughout the day I'll start to feel kinda better, the WAM my mind starts thinking all these stupid things "am i going crazy, I just wanna be normal, dieing of something stupid, etc"
and who can blame us for feeling that way with all the physical symptoms that come along with anxiety.
like I said im not a pro on this, and maybe you need to talk to someone better qualified.
But just to make you feel better, Skitzo isnt the end of the world, they have prescriptions for that too:)
Im trying to just embrace the wierd feelings, and somewhat agg them on, because I figure, screw it, why fight it, I dont care what people think, I dont care if I pass out, whatever, Im loosing my fear everyday, when theres nothing to loose, or fear, I think thats when you get better...I dunno
First of all we don't need to talk about schizophrenia like its something that terrifying. I have made a full recovery from schizoaffective disorder with a glycine a Phase II antipsychotic in FDA study which is a glutamate antagonist a new form of antipsychotic that will not create tardive dyskinesia or diabetes and promotes a fuller recovery. My psychopharmocologist will be publishing the case study in a psychiatric journal which will be online and I will make the results available. In the meantimes for the official study google "Dr. Javitt, glycine".
If your mind "talks to you" then could it be you have auditory hallucinations that is in less clinical terms "hear voices". That is indeed a sign of schizophrenia. You should speak to your psychiatrist about that and in going through that and other symptoms you have perhaps you would need an antipsychotic and certainly a re-evaluation. That doesn't mean you don't have anxiety disorder as well. You don't need to be "scared" you have schizophrenia. Only the term is scary in the way it sounds but it indicates a thought disorder not a "split personality". If you took away the term it would just mean you had another psychiatric disability. And one you could recover from. And there's nothing frightening about that. Just something to come to terms with. And that's what support groups are for if you are diagnosed. You could look up NAMI for starters or NARSAD for more detailed information.

Thanks guys.
That helped alot.
I've heard people with OCD can have these kinds of "bad thoughts". Don't know if that helps or not but it's more common than you think.
You might have depression or OCD...
When I have bad bad bad anxiety, I get a nervous stomach, a paranoid feeling... and my anxiety gets so bad that I make myself start to believe that I could be a skitzo... which only makes my anxiety worse!

The thing to remember, is that most people that are skitzo... do not know it.. other people see it in that person... but skitzos are just kinda out there in their own world usually...
Not always. Do I seem to be? Its just the current antipsychotics are helpful but only mitigate the symptoms but do not fully treat them. There's nothing so terrible about living with schizoaffective or schizophrenia and if that's part of someone's diagnosis you learn to accept it and get on with life. Of course its hard to treat but we shouldn't think of different classes of psychiatric disabilities as someone as a form of social class. Believe me when I went to mood disorders support groups in the past as a person with schizoaffective people kind of stared at me and avoided me. Now after recovery I do wonder why some people I know with less serious psychiatric disabilities define a minor moment as a "crisis" but rather than put people down I'm the opposite way. If I see a homeless person in a psychotic state I'll just say to myself I've been there. Can't say I can always help them but I can always empathatize. I don't believe schizophrenia is scary to begin with. Just the term. And terminology can be changed. Schizophrenia is treatable and people do recover and as treatment advances the recovery rate will improve.
it sounds like your mind goes out of control....but if your controling the thoughts its not schizophrenia..your just thinking to muchand its making you crazy.  
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
56 mins ago
melimeli Miss you all, check daily b... Comment
1 hr ago
What would I say on my death bed, w...
3 hrs ago by travel_melb