Anxiety Community
scared to fall asleep

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

scared to fall asleep

I'm sure all you guys with anxiety and panic attacks can to relate to this...I have been up all night due to severe anxiety and its now 12 noon.  My question is what do some of you guys do when your scared to fall asleep bc you feel like ur going to die in your sleep.  my anxiety is pretty much gone at the moment and I feel somewhat relaxed but now that I kinda feel normal I still feel like something is going to happen to me in my sleep. Its hard to explain. If any of you guys no what I mean and have any suggestions please let me know asap. I need sleep!
I have been having nightmares a lot lately & also have trouble falling asleep quite often lately. I pretty much have to force myself to go to sleep a lot of the time. I have experienced that for a while where I'm scared to go to sleep because I feel like I may not wake up. I thought I sounded crazy even though it isn't , but I'm not the only one experiencing that even though I thought that I was. I normally just try to think of something happy like my son or I usually put in a movie to kind of sidetrack myself. I feel like if the movie is boring then I just usually dose off & sleep fine. Try playing the tv or a movie before bed & put on something that doesn't really draw interest. It may help.
You state that your anxiety is pretty much gone, but I have to question that. It's anxiety keeping you from that nights sleep you desperately need and it's the lack of sleep that is fueling your anxiety. See the cycle?
You are very young and I will assume healthy........(unless you have some underlying illness you did not share with us)
Have you recently lost someone you love who died in their sleep? This could be a factor plaguing your mind as bedtime approaches. If not, then perhaps you are getting over-stimulated before bedtime and not allowing your body/mind to slow down, to wind down into sleep. Are you exercising just before bed? Are you watching some action packed Cops & Robbers show on TV? Are you eating? All of things can and will stimulate our brains and bodies and keep us from falling asleep. Before you run off to your doctor for sleeping pills, which, in my humble opinion, should be reserved for really extreme cases, then it's time to try some of the more "natural" remedies for falling asleep. There are many things you can try and there are some good books available on the subject. Certainly can't hurt to give them a try! But if these thoughts persist and you are becoming seriously sleep deprived, then is is time to see your doctor, not just for some pills but for a referral to someone who can help you figure out WHY these thoughts are keeping you awake.
I hope you get some relief soon.
Peace & Sweet Dreams
Greenlydia        

ocdhelp commented on Dear future me
10356 commented on stilltrying1965's status
specialmom commented on Losing Gabe. :(
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms