Anxiety Community
serotonin and exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

serotonin and exercise

when I was at the doc's yesterday, she said that the medications like zoloft, increase the serotonin (sp?) levels. So I was looking up different things to raise this level naturally. I found numerous articles that if you exercise vigorously daily it will naturally boost the level. I guess from what I understand, this level when it is low can cause anxiety and depression. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried really heavy exercise to try and get rid of the anxiety. I think I am going to walk on the treadmill now:-)
Definitely excercise is great for the mind.  It also produces endorphines (i think that's what it's called) anyway, some chemical in your brain that makes you feel good.  before I had kids, i worked out about 3-4 times a week and i felt great!  i take walks now with my husband and kids but it's not like getting a good workout at the gym.  i think that this lack in physical activity for me plays a tremendous role in my anxiety and depression.  i have to motivate my butt and get back into it!  try joining a gym and take a step aerobics class.  it's fun and it will motivate you.  
Your doc is right.  I take zoloft in conjunction with working out - not vigorously, just walking and a few weights.  Exercise does get the "tonins" and "orins" going and it is a wonderfully natural way to make yourself feel better. I just can't depend on that alone and take the zoloft to balance the seratonin consistently. Also, I find vitamin D (the sun) wonderful - not in large doses, but just to soak some up for a few is great!

Best to you............
This is from: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

A growing volume of research shows that exercise also can help improve symptoms of certain mental conditions, such as depression and anxiety. Exercise also may help prevent a relapse after treatment for depression or anxiety.

Research suggests that it may take at least 30 minutes of exercise a day for at least three to five days a week to significantly improve symptoms of depression. However, smaller amounts of activity
Please keep us posted!  My neurologist ordered me to walk every day!!!!
Thank you everyone for your comments! I have started a new menu for myself this week and plan on exercising as much as I can take. I will hopefully see a change soon! I am really excited about trying this Anyway, if it helps I will let you know. Thanks again for all of the info!!!
You may also want to talk to you doctor about taking 5-htp, it's a natural seritonin booster you can get at GNC, or Kavinase, this can only be prescribed to you by a doctor but is all natural and also you can take it while having an attack and will bring you down. These on top on exercise is great! Also, remember while your having an attack all it is Adrenaline thats it. But the low seritonin levels can't balance it out.  So running or something will help bring you down.
Excersise has defineatly helped me.  I've doubled up on work-outs 2hrs in the morning 2 at night and it works wonders for me and keeps me structered.  Though i still find myself not wanting to be around anyone unless they are excersiing or training for something, besides that I feel good.  I'm wondering if that is a sign of depression as well.  I love the high from a good work out and it helps so much to stable my mood, that i would rather be doing that than relaxing in my own skin/mind.  Does anyone feel the same? or get the same symptoms?

I'm also on medication (lamictal) but wish to get off of it as soon as i can.  They have diagnosed me bi-polar in the past year, but I still feel I'm just moody and don't really care what others think of me.  I just like being me and they label it as bi-polar..what is normal anyways??

Thanks-Kelsey
Amandag78 commented on A beautiful hard day....
24 mins ago
specialmom commented on AnnieBrooke's status
4Maddie44 uploaded new photos