Anxiety Community
slow heart rate with anxiety???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

slow heart rate with anxiety???

Has anyone experienced a slow heart rate with their anxiety disorder?  I have had pounding heart, rapid heart beat, and extra beats for quite some time now (years) but these symptoms have all but disappeared to be replaced with a slow heart rate. As soon as I lay down it drops to 60 BPM and I get a headache with chest pain.  When I wake up in the mornings it's been as low as 44 BPM.  It also drops to 60 BPM ocassionally when I'm sitting.  I notice the headache and check my pulse, the symptoms always coincide.  Has anyone experienced this??
One of the reasons, and only ONE of many, that I have a hard time accepting an anxiety diagnosis is because my heart rate isn't fast and rarely goes above 100 (except exercise and exertion, of course).  I have noticed it barely at 60 when I thought it should be faster because I felt "panicky".  Sometimes it feels like it "bogs" down.  Scares the heck out of me.

Right now tonight my big thing is heartburn.  I have the worst, severe heartburn.  Antacids don't help and it doesn't seem to be related to food.  Just another one of my many reasons why I don't think I have "just" anxiety.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks to your both for responding!!  I'm sorry to hear you are suffering this too, tanns.  It's no fun, an I'm sure you agree that everytime you tell yourself it's just anxiety something in the back of your mind says "but I just don't feel right!"

And to Ryan I don't take any meds as I am generally healthy and only take them in life or death situations.  But I do smoke and find it odd to experience the slow heart rate and not an increased heart rate.  

Has anyone ever heard of slow heart rate being a symptom of anxiety as The Linden Method's symptoms list describes?   I've searched for HOURS and found nothing to the effect.

Thanks again!!
Im 19 and I have horable anxiety my arms tingle my jaw numbs my lips turn pale sometimes my heart beat is faster sometimes its slower I get ditzy alot and my feel really light headed as if I smoked a cigarette my eyes sometimes feel as if their going to pop out and im always tired im constantly checking my heart beat every day, I wish it would stop I haven't gone to the doctor I probably should
This is also a common problem with some people who suffer from blood or needle phobia.

I have also worked with a few people who experience this slowing down of heart rate and lowering of blood pressure when anxious.
The effect can lead to frequent fainting experiences.

One way to deal with this is to flex and release the muscles of your buttox many times as this helps to stimulate blood flow back to the brain.

another helpful method is to combine the above suggestion with putting both feet in a large bowl of cold water

Adewale Ademuyiwa The true source of stress is our interpretations of life events as opposed to life itself. www.stresstherapist.net
Just keep your faith in Christ! I deal with anxiety/panic on a daily basis. I have most of the same symptoms you have. Contact me if you ever need to discuss your problems. BE STRONG!!!
Hey guys I been suffering from anxiety for two months now , I been in the hospital like 6 times they have done EKG nd blood test and nothing was wrong except for a little of acid reflux , I also went to the cardiologist he did some test like ultrasound , another EKG ,  also the stress test and a 24 holder monitor that I haven't get the results yet but all the other stuff came out good , that's what the cardiologist told me , but I still can get it out of my head my resting heart is 60 , but yesterday I felt like it was lower and I got super scare , I am soccer and volleyball player so I use to run and so exercise a lot now I don't o anything cause I have fear of something happening to me , I can't stop checking my heart  ,can someone help please .
I had no problem for at least 25 years, and am again experiencing severe anxiety, but, ironically, this time, I'm getting the blasted slow pulse rate as well, even while my entire nervous system feels like it's short-circuiting.  But I've also been having pulse rates of 106, with no feelings of anxiety.  Seems to me there's more of a chance that it's something functional that's haywire - maybe it's a food allergy.  One way to find out - eliminate possibilities and see if there's any change.  Or maybe it's due to the SmartMeters, eh?  Phooey.

But, boy do I emphathize.
LovemyKids86 I did end up losing that ½ ... Comment
1 min ago
nursegirl6572 "- Don't react, take action... Comment
32 mins ago
nursegirl6572 commented on Should I still be con...
1 hr ago