Anxiety Community
speech anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

speech anxiety

I have been prescribed 0.5 mg Atvian for insomnia. I also have serious anxiety during presentations which i am going to be doing a lot for business. My doctor told me to take 1.5 mg of Atvian one hour before the presentation. I am mainly asking if this will throw of my speeches if i take the dose of Atvian. Also are there more effective medications for my speech anxiety.
Not sure if this will help, but I HAD the same problem..extreme fear of speaking in front of groups.  Also, anxiety.  I take 12.5 mg of Paxil for anxiety and that has helped.  I talk in front of groups alot.  If it is really bad, I take a small dose of Xanax, and that calms me.  I never took ativan.  Good luck.  Oh, Xanax does not effect my speaking, it just calms me abit.  I don't slur or look like an idiot.
0.5 to get to sleep, and 1.5 for making a speech? Seems strange to up the dosage so much. I would try it on a day you don't have anything to do in case it puts you to sleep or makes you feel strange. Just in case. Ativan is a common anti anxiety medication and is pretty similar to the meds used to treat anxiety.
The Ativan will help you during speeches, but I agree that I would try the increased dosage prior to doing your first presentation.  But when you do take it, be up and about as you would during the speech.  Keep in mind that during your presentations, your adrenaline will be high, this alone will keep the increased dosage from over-sedating you.  This is probably your doctor's thinking as well.  Your anxiety will be at it's highest, not like when you're going to bed, so the 0.5 may not be sufficent during the presentation.  Keep in mind that most of the people you are speaking to are just as afraid as you to be up there speaking.  They are sitting there happy that they aren't up there, so stand tall and do your best, you will be the envy of many.  If you make a mistake, be the first to laugh at yourself, this puts everyone (including yourself) at ease.
Hope this helps.  Good luck and take care!
BigMidgetMama uploaded a new photo
1 hr ago
BigMidgetMama Diagnosed with Eagle Syndro... Comment
13. The hypochondriac's guide ...
7 hrs ago by birdie0907